http://gamingtrend.com
July 24, 2014, 11:03:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kidney Stones, holy crap...  (Read 8077 times)
Pharaoh
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: September 25, 2008, 10:27:36 PM »

So I wake up last night about 3 am with an insanely uncomfortable pain in my lower left back, and I instantly get sick from the pain. Thinking Im trying to pass a water buffalo through my stomach, my wife starts rubbing my back to figure out if I pulled a muscle or something, which then instantly worries me since my back feels fine, the pain is internal. My brain goes "Kidney Stone", and I go "Oohhhhh shi........"

Fast forward to about 5 am, I'm in the hospital pretty much crying from the pain as the nurses try to find a vein since I'm so tense and breathing so heavy. They finally get it in, and knock me out...wake up at 8am, with a nice doctor who speaks with the worst accent ever (we are talking dell tech support indian level bad) that I have a 4mm kidney stone and Ive got the pass it. She leaves, a nurse walks in, she goes "Kidney stones huh? Let me tell you, Ive had 3 kids, and Kidney Stones are worse, so you'll understand your wifes pain someday" and she laughs. Of course, my enjoyment of this fact is lost at the moment, since my whole body feels like a complete trainwreck, but I'm just happy I don't feel like suicide anymore.

When they say kidney stones are worse than delivering a child, let me tell ya, they aren't kidding. Well, if they are kidding, women must be wired differently because the level of pain and discomfort they cause is legendary lol.
So now Im home, with two funnels to pee in, enough narcotics to fuel LA for about 2 hours, and a throbbing feeling of always having to urinate. Someone with experience in this, please tell me when I pass it things go back to normal!

Sorry, I had to share, Im stuck at home and Im doped up so my gaming reflexes don't work right lol.
Zero

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008, 10:45:16 PM »

I've known people who've had it...and yes it will be back to normal after you pass it.  The trick is passing it - and you're in pain now, but when it finally passes - I've heard it hurts a hell of lot more.  Sorry to mention that - but you do have drugs for a reason  icon_biggrin 
Marik
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2008, 11:37:59 PM »

Quote from: Pharaoh on September 25, 2008, 10:27:36 PM

When they say kidney stones are worse than delivering a child, let me tell ya, they aren't kidding. Well, if they are kidding, women must be wired differently because the level of pain and discomfort they cause is legendary lol.

I haven't done either but I've watched a fair amount of both.  I'd rather give birth than get kidney stones.  At least most women can scream something coherent between tears.  Most guys I saw with kidney stones were so overcome with their little world of pure agony that they wouldn't have noticed if we'd set their hair on fire.

All that said, the feeling right after passing a kidney stone is supposed to be one of the greatest in life.  It's probably almost worth it.
Scuzz

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2008, 11:59:00 PM »

I haven't had kidney stones but I have had gall stones leading to having my gall bladder removed. I have been told passing a kidney stone is worse, and if that is true then I feel your pain.

Unfortunately you can't have your kidney removed, but things should return to normal soon enough. I don't know if it's too late to help but you might look into adjusting your diet to reduce the chance of a recurrence.
Semaj

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008, 12:27:50 AM »

I passed a small one when I was obliterated one morning (No not night, it's a buffalo thing)

My wee hurt for a few days afterwards.

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2008, 01:06:48 AM »

I passed one about that size. Regardless of where it falls on the "childbirth" scale, at least women get to name their lump when it exits their body. I just went "ew" and put it in a cup for the doctor to look at. You'll feel better shortly after passage.

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
lildrgn

It's not the years, it's the mileage.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2008, 03:36:14 AM »

How the hell do kidney stones form and how do I NEVER HAVE ONE FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE???

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2008, 05:41:48 AM »

My wife has passed 32..thats correct..32...kidney stones. Right now her left kidney is packed with them. All small enough to pass but they are'nt moving. packed like marbles in a plastic bag. She had a brain tumor removed and she says she'd rather have another brain tumor. She actually passed a stone a little less than 10mm.

I have had 4. I passed 2. One was 3mm and the other 4mm. Both hurt like hell. The 4mm one made me throw up for hours. My bad part was the other 2 were in the left kidney and were 16mm each. No way to pass them. I had to have 2 lithotripsies this year. The shockwave thing where they blast those suckers out.2 hospitalizations suck.  Shoulda seen the pre treatment xrays. These stones were the size of dice.

Good luck with them and enjoy the strong meds. 4mm is the max they say a guy can pass easily enough. Both my smaller ones passed in 1 day.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
dangerballs

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2008, 05:47:53 AM »

Quote from: lildrgn on September 26, 2008, 03:36:14 AM

How the hell do kidney stones form and how do I NEVER HAVE ONE FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE???

You can do a good job of preventing them if you drink a lot of water and avoid sodas.  Also limit the amount of chocolate and soy products you eat. 

What's Cooking at Hacienda de Bolas del Peligro?

PC: Tomb Raider | Xbox360: GTA V | PS3: Infamous 2, Ni No Kuni
Victoria Raverna

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2008, 07:03:13 AM »

Quote from: dangerballs on September 26, 2008, 05:47:53 AM

Quote from: lildrgn on September 26, 2008, 03:36:14 AM

You can do a good job of preventing them if you drink a lot of water and avoid sodas.  Also limit the amount of chocolate and soy products you eat. 

And don't consume anything made in China.

LordMortis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2008, 12:40:58 PM »

All of my Mexican coworkers swear drinking beer is difference between having kidney stones and not.  I haven't had another since I started drinking beer.  biggrin 

I have done stupid things in life.  A lot of which resulted in a lot of pain.  One of which even left my forearm looking like horse shoe and left me in the hospital for months with said forearm left cut open while they wrenched and peiced me back together on a dialy basis.

Nothing has compared to kidney stone.  I literally wanted to die when my kidneys flared up.  I had to go to the hospital for every bad flare up and they'd put me on so much morphine/toredor(?) my heart would almost stop and that was fine by me becuase the pain still didn't go away but I'd get distracted and tired enough that I could fall passout through the pain.  Except they were afraid that I slept, I wouldn't wake up so they wouldn't let me sleep.

Doctors informed me that the pain from the stones isn't actually passing them, but from the kidney spasms.  Mortin was the big help which seems to keep those spasms in check and therefore keeps the pain down.  Vicodin or the D word pain killer does not got damned thing for the pain.  Doping up doesn't work.  (or doesn't work for me)  Motrin shy of liver toxicity is the way to go, IMO.
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2008, 01:20:07 PM »

Why do these things always seem to happen in the dead of night?  I feel for you Pharaoh.  I had the same thing many years ago but I can remember the details of that night like it was yesterday.  Mine also happened at 3 am.  My wife got the kids up and drove me to the hospital around 4:30 am when I knew this was something "more".  The pain was, how should I say this, utterly unbearable.  I felt like Alien was ready to emerge from my body.  When we got to the hospital she dropped me off at the emergency entrance and I literally ran inside while she parked the car and came in with the kids. 

I was pleading with the nursing staff to quickly give me something, anything for the pain.  The poor nurse kept asking me for information.  I told her to wait for my wife to get in here and adamantly demanded medication now or I will strangle you right now where you sit.  Yes, I said those exact words.  I guess my constant groaning/screaming and clutching of my lower abdomen convinced her to get me in there and drug me up. 

Ahhhhhhh.  The wonders of modern medicine.  Not five minutes after the IV was inserted the pain was gone (aka masked, as in medical forgery).  I felt like I could get up and go home!  I apologize profusely to the nurses I yelled at and threatened to kill.  The one nurse who was taking care of me before the doctor came in to see me told me the same thing they told you.  I now know how it feels like to be in labor.  Yikes.

My situation deviates from yours here.  I had to lay on the x-ray table for over an hour while a slow moving dye moved through my system so they can see the stone.  It turned out that my stone was the size of a pea!  eek  It had to be surgically removed.  No passing that.  I'm like "you're going to do what to me down there!?"  The urologist comes in to describe the procedure and of course it's a woman!  Then she mentions the stent.  saywhat  See next paragraph.

The surgery goes off without a hitch.  However,  they had to place a stent in my penis!  To hold it open!  WTF!   This had to be left in for two days until I urinated a few times.  Because of the surgery they had to maintain an open path until it healed.  Now here is the best part.  I could not leave the hospital until I urinated the first time after the surgery with the stent in.  Ok.  I cannot describe in words what it is like to urinate with your penis open right after surgery down there.  Needless to say I think everyone within five or so states of New Jersey heard me scream.  And once it starts flowing it doesn't stop until you're done because you can't control it with the stent in.  That entire time was utter agony and all I wanted to do was die.  I was grabbing the bars around the toilet screaming "please stop" over and over and over.  I thought the pain of the stone was bad.  This one takes the cake.

I was terrified to pee over the next two days.  But each time I did there was less and less pain.  I go back after two days, have the stent removed and everything is back to normal.  The female urologist told me not to have sex for three weeks.  I thought she said seven plus years.  icon_biggrin

I hope I never have to go through that again.  Ever.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 01:21:53 PM by Starshifter » Logged

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2008, 02:48:38 PM »

Ya the first stone I had they did the dyetype xray. the next one they did a mir/ cat scan type one.

And for my Lithotripsies I had a JJ Stint in..it went from my kidney to my bladder. I had to keep it 3 weeks. Id piss then instantly feel like I was bursting with pee again. Ugh. I was knocked out when it was put in..fully asleep type deal..but removing it I was awake....i HATE that damn proceedure.

Zero

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2008, 03:23:38 PM »

OK - no more sodas for me...only beer  crybaby
depward

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2008, 03:32:04 PM »

Starshifter - omg that story horrified me!!!

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2008, 03:43:39 PM »

Those are 5mm.

God, I hope I never have to go through this...

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
JodoKast
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2008, 04:32:22 PM »

I had 5 stones in the timespan of 3 months a few years ago.  It's true that what you eat/drink can cause kidney stones, but it is also has to do with hereditary.  My father also had them a few times over his lifetime.  Although its possible to only have one, its more likely that if you've had one then you are going to get more unless you change something.  You will want to capture the stone (with a straining funnel if you can pass it) so it can be analyzed to determine what was causing the stones.  Hopefully the doctors told you to do this.  With mine it was some imbalance of acidity in my urine and was prescribed a potassium citrate (google Urocit-K) pill that I take daily and have for the past few years and have not had another stone *knocks on wood*.  I go to a urologist yearly now to get checkups and have the dye sent through me to get xrays of my kidneys to make sure no more are growing.

P.S. Mine also happened around 2-3am and woke my wife up and raced to the hospital.  I just remember telling her, "Must go faster!  If a cop shows up, just keep going we'll explain at the hospital!"  Luckily no cops showed up.  I initially thought it was an appendix bursting or something.  When I was in the room after being admitted waiting for painkillers a nurse came in to put in the IV thing, I said "Thank God!" and she said "Ohh I'm just putting this in, someone else brings the morphine" to which my wife says I said "You have got to be f***ing kidding me!" really loud.  I don't remember saying that, because that's not like me, but as you know with that type of pain you aren't thinking straight.

Gamertag : NJ Devilfish
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2008, 05:00:10 PM »

After reading these stories I've spent all day researching kidney stones.  It seems that you're more likely to feel the onset at night because your urine has been collecting and concentrating.  It's more common for stones to form under such conditions.

My diet's pretty good and there are no hereditary factors, thank christ.  I've decided to increase the amount of water I drink though!  Not gonna take any chances with these buggers, they do not sound fun.

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2008, 05:26:00 PM »

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2008, 05:34:40 PM »

My wife's father knew a guy that had a stone in his bladder. It was the size of a baseball nearly and completely smooth. He had it taken out..just imagine that one.

lildrgn

It's not the years, it's the mileage.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2008, 05:34:58 PM »

I thought kidney stones could be broken up?

Now I'm going to pass out. Goodbye.

kathode

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2008, 05:48:32 PM »

Quote from: lildrgn on September 26, 2008, 05:34:58 PM

I thought kidney stones could be broken up?

Now I'm going to pass out. Goodbye.

Haha, it's the one that holds the Guinness World Record for size.  No idea how they got that sucker out.  Looks like they needed a crane.

If you really want to pass out, check out these pics of calcium oxalate stones.  They look like naval mines.
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2008, 05:55:55 PM »

Quote from: LordMortis on September 26, 2008, 12:40:58 PM

All of my Mexican coworkers swear drinking beer is difference between having kidney stones and not.  I haven't had another since I started drinking beer.  biggrin 

Christ, with the amount of beer I drink I've probably protected me and my wife from getting kidney stones. 

Few things scare me and I've endured a variety of forms of pain with little or no difficulty, but just the mere idea of a kidney stone causes me to curl into the fetal position and weep.  I might even go so far as to choose death instead of cake.  From now on when friends question whether I have a "drinking problem", rather than my usual <<take a sip>>, "Nope, I get it in my mouth just fine," comment, instead I'll explain that it is my proactive approach at preserving good health by preventing kidney stones. 

Now please excuse me while I pass out and piss myself.

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2008, 05:58:22 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on September 26, 2008, 05:55:55 PM

Christ, with the amount of beer I drink I've probably protected me and my wife from getting kidney stones. 

What are you doing with the beer when you're done with it??   icon_eek

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2008, 06:03:27 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on September 26, 2008, 05:58:22 PM

Quote from: PeteRock on September 26, 2008, 05:55:55 PM

What are you doing with the beer when you're done with it??   icon_eek

Flushing my system regularly.

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2008, 06:04:04 PM »

I am a stone producer.    I usually have a kidney stone once every year or so.    It sucks big time.

The last one I had we made it halfway to the hospital and suddenly the pain stopped completely.   I knew then that the stone had passed through and dropped into my bladder.    Once it's in your bladder you are home free!    

Anyway, we drove back to the house where I passed the stone, got dressed, and we went to the Christmas party as planned.
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2008, 08:26:45 PM »

Quote from: kathode on September 26, 2008, 05:26:00 PM

That's freakin' huge. You can see where it's formed to the interior shape of the kidney! I'd be shocked if he didn't lose the whole kidney with that one.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 08:31:26 PM by CrayolaSmoker » Logged

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2008, 03:52:55 AM »

Quote from: CrayolaSmoker on September 26, 2008, 08:26:45 PM

That's freakin' huge. You can see where it's formed to the interior shape of the kidney! I'd be shocked if he didn't lose the whole kidney with that one.

he certainly didn't pass it! eek eek eek eek
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2008, 04:30:58 AM »

Quote from: msduncan on September 27, 2008, 03:52:55 AM

Quote from: CrayolaSmoker on September 26, 2008, 08:26:45 PM

he certainly didn't pass it! eek eek eek eek

Oh my...

my...

holy..

dear...

FUCK.

Look at...

Ouch.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2008, 10:17:31 AM »

taken from the web:

Diet plays an important role in the development of kidney stones, especially in patients who are predisposed to the condition. A diet high in sodium, fats, meat, and sugar, and low in fiber, vegetable protein, and unrefined carbohydrates increases the risk for renal stone disease. Recurrent kidney stones may form in patients who are sensitive to the chemical byproducts of animal protein and who consume large amounts of meat.

High doses of vitamin C (i.e., more than 500 mg per day) can result in high levels of oxalate in the urine (hyperoxaluria) and increase the risk for kidney stones. Oxalate is found in berries, vegetables (e.g., green beans, beets, spinach, squash, tomatoes), nuts, chocolate, and strong tea. Stone formers should limit their intake of cranberries, which contain a moderate amount of oxalate.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2008, 02:07:52 PM »

Quote from: Starshifter on September 26, 2008, 01:20:07 PM

OMGWTFSCARYSTORY!!

Jeebus Cripes Shifty, that may be the most horrific thing I've ever heard.  No one in my family has ever had one, so I'm hoping that's a good sign.  It all sounds so incredibly awful.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2010, 06:08:38 AM »

Apparently it's my turn... got my first kidney stone blasted Monday afternoon.  I knew I had a small one for a couple of years, but it decided to grow and break free in the past month.  Last Sunday I experienced maybe not the worst, but definitely the *scariest* pain I have ever felt.  Pain, nausea, shaking, and the overall feeling of "I. am. going. to. die."

Turns out it was a stone approx. 6mm x 10mm.  The odd thing is, except for Sunday's episode which ended up with me in the ER, I hadn't felt much of anything.  Due to it's size, it was stuck and not moving, therefore not particularly painful most of the time. Or maybe I'm just a tough SOB  ninja2

Anyway, this Monday I went in for the lithotrispy (shockwave) procedure, and last night was pretty rough.  Percoset didn't seem to help much - just gave me really weird dreams.  I felt better today - spent much of the day peeing out small fragments of kidney stone, but wasn't in much pain.  But tonight it got bad again; I assume I still have a large-ish fragment I need to get rid of.  No stent though, thank goodness.

Has anyone else had their stones blasted?  Is significant kidney pain after the procedure normal?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 06:19:26 AM by Laner » Logged
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2010, 06:32:36 AM »

How'd you get away with no stent?

I had mine blasted twice within 2 weeks. Still have unpassable stones in there. No kidney pain at all. no soreness.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2010, 07:49:49 AM »

hope you feel better soon Laner.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Scuzz

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2010, 06:22:27 PM »

Gall stones were bad enough...can't imagine kidney stones..... retard
Grimwar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2010, 09:29:47 PM »

Quote from: hitbyambulance on September 27, 2008, 10:17:31 AM

taken from the web:

Diet plays an important role in the development of kidney stones, especially in patients who are predisposed to the condition. A diet high in sodium, fats, meat, and sugar, and low in fiber, vegetable protein, and unrefined carbohydrates increases the risk for renal stone disease. Recurrent kidney stones may form in patients who are sensitive to the chemical byproducts of animal protein and who consume large amounts of meat.

High doses of vitamin C (i.e., more than 500 mg per day) can result in high levels of oxalate in the urine (hyperoxaluria) and increase the risk for kidney stones. Oxalate is found in berries, vegetables (e.g., green beans, beets, spinach, squash, tomatoes), nuts, chocolate, and strong tea. Stone formers should limit their intake of cranberries, which contain a moderate amount of oxalate.

Dear God....my translation of that..."Don't eat anything".

No one in my family has ever had kidney stones, so hopefully I am in the clear.  However, my mom did have 50 stones in her gall bladder but she has an awful diet.  My diet isn't terrible and I drink tons of water since I do not like sodas or juice (I just don't like sweet stuff) so maybe I can avoid kidney stones in my future.  Yikes, they sound awful.

Playing: Nothing really.  Bring on Diablo 3 and Guild Wars 2.
Einsteinium

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2010, 10:04:26 PM »

I went through hell for 18 months, they originally thought it was back pain, then kidney stones, before finding the gallstones.  It was much worse when I had no idea, and I had honestly started calculating how much pain medicine would be too much, just in case.

From what the numerous ER docs, EMTs, and surgeons have said, the difference in pain between gallstones and kidney stones is like having major bursts of agony that last several hours, or having the major bursts of agony in slightly smaller segments over longer periods of time; Neither is to be taken lightly. Yes, the number of women offering sympathy, calling it worse than childbirth is terrifying.

I hope you can make it through the pain with your sanity intact. It will probably be the worst thing that will ever happen to you, but in my experience there is life on the other end. I guess the trump for me is I can't possibly get more gallstones.

Good luck man, I hope things go well.
hispanicgamer

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2010, 12:07:32 AM »

Here's a guy who claims to have used lemon juice to help dissolve his kidney stones.

" I enjoy Jizz in my pants as well. " - Harkonis
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: