http://gamingtrend.com
April 19, 2014, 09:14:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kickstarter burnout?  (Read 605 times)
Azhag
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: April 21, 2012, 01:33:48 PM »

Anyone else close? I love supporting these projects (Double Fine, Wasteland, Banner Saga, etc), but I can only prepay a year in advance for so many games... unless I'm truly blown away I think I'm out for a bit...
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 01:59:21 PM »

Agreed.  It will be interesting to watch this phenom develop over the next couple years.  I wonder what happens when one of these big projects ends up being a dud or worse, never delivers.  Can this funding method survive a couple of those?  Hell how long can this keep up before a game needs to get delivered?  Surely this funding pace can't uphold over the next 12+ months?  It's almost like a gold rush.

morlac00 on PSN
Calavera
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 05:21:15 PM »

I think my last three will by the LSL remake, the Pinkerton Road and Tex Murphy. After that, I think we're pretty much out of "old school" designers... Perhaps if Chris Roberts wants to do a space sim...
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 05:59:24 PM »

True, I'll definitely support a Tex and would Chris Roberts... Can we get Firaxis to do a Masters of Magic redo!

But in general, I already regret supporting Takedown, and I just hope others turn out ok.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2012, 06:37:11 PM »

maybe Richard Garriott will start one for an RPG.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2012, 06:49:34 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 21, 2012, 06:37:11 PM

Man, there are so many old properties that would excite so many people even today... If all of those old designers came out of the clockwork, we'd all be ruined within a month.
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2012, 07:24:56 PM »

So far I've not contributed to any kickstart programs.  The business model doesn't work for me - "I'm thinking of making this game, so contribute a few hundred thousand dollars to my kitty and maybe I'll make it."  The whole kickstart model will go belly-up the minute someone decides they can't make that game and keeps the kickstart funds.  I'm more than happy to buy their game when it's a finished product - or perhaps even in beta on very rare occasions - but not before.

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2012, 07:25:23 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 21, 2012, 06:37:11 PM

The guy has enough money he wouldn't need a kickstart business model.

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
Calavera
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2012, 07:40:15 PM »

Quote from: Azhag on April 21, 2012, 05:59:24 PM

True, I'll definitely support a Tex and would Chris Roberts... Can we get Firaxis to do a Masters of Magic redo!

But in general, I already regret supporting Takedown, and I just hope others turn out ok.

Was Takedown the one where they said they needed more money and were getting investors as well? I know the Star Command didn't pan out well for the developers.

Speaking of this, the Penny Arcade Report just had an article on this. It's totally a risk, but if you focus on games by industry people that have shipped a game before, you're (probably) okay.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 08:06:50 PM by Calavera » Logged
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2012, 01:40:15 PM »

Oh yeah, I'm definitely only investing in things that either A) already are far long the process, or B) have a lot of experienced people on them, or C) preferably both...
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2012, 01:56:52 PM »

Quote from: Azhag on April 22, 2012, 01:40:15 PM

Oh yeah, I'm definitely only investing in things that either A) already are far long the process, or B) have a lot of experienced people on them, or C) preferably both...

Most projects I've seen that appear anywhere worth backing are either A or B anyway, so that's not saying much.

Also, nobody is investing in Kickstarter projects. You're backing them. The difference is vital.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2012, 02:27:17 PM »

I love the kickstarter idea, since it allows fans to often get games the publishers gave the thumbs down to long ago. I'm a bit skeptical about them in the videogame biz though, which is much more mainstream. I have some concern that with the large amounts of money that can be raised for a videogame, the funding system could be abused. Most of the kickstarters I've supported are in the Pen'n'Paper RPG and boardgame markets. With both of those being niche markets with a much smaller, yet intiment fanbase, kickstarter projects are a god send and lifeline. With the videogame projects I've opted in on, I've been much more cautious about the "who, what, when and where" of them. I wouldn't say I'm burntout on them, but I'm weary of some.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 04:10:22 PM by kronovan » Logged
Calavera
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2012, 04:15:45 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on April 22, 2012, 02:27:17 PM

I love the kickstarter idea, since it allows fans to often get games the publishers gave the thumbs down to long ago. I'm a bit skeptical about them in the videogame biz though, which is much more mainstream. I have some concern that with the large amounts of money that can be raised for a videogame, the funding system could be abused. Most of the kickstarters I've supported are in the Pen'n'Paper RPG and boardgame markets. With both of those being niche markets with a much smaller, yet intement fanbase, kickstarter projects are a god send and lifeline. With the videogame projects I've opted in on, I've been much more cautious about the "who, what, when and where" of them. I wouldn't say I'm burntout on them, but I'm weary of some.

You should be just as careful with all Kickstarters. See the Eyez project for a non-video game indication...

Just like eBay, caveat emptor. Be critical of what you're backing, Kickstarter isn't doing any filtering for you.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2012, 10:55:42 PM »

Quote from: Calavera on April 22, 2012, 04:15:45 PM

You should be just as careful with all Kickstarters. See the Eyez project for a non-video game indication...

Just like eBay, caveat emptor. Be critical of what you're backing, Kickstarter isn't doing any filtering for you.

Agreed, but I'm guessing you don't purchase many PnP's or boardgames. Those are miniscule markets when compared to videogames and word gets around fast enough amongst fans in those tight communities that its pretty hard to hide if you screw your customers over. Which is why I emphasised the more intiment nature of such markets. With PnP and boardgame projects I`ve supported I actually had discussions with many of the designers and writers before they even got kickstated.  Unless I've had that sort of interfacing and communication, I won't back anything unless those involved have a solid track record. I do stand by my earlier statments thought, that with videogames being much more popular, mainstream and a wider market, there's a far great opportunity to abuse any Kickstarters.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2012, 11:08:23 PM »

I don't know if I have what you'd call burnout, but I've definitely reigned in my impulse Kickstarting.  Now I'm mainly interested in sure bets (Order of the Stick reprint), nostalgia developer I just can't say no to (Double Fine, Wasteland), or projects that are already almost done but just looking for funds for polish and final steps (Faster Than Light).
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2012, 05:06:26 AM »

first sham to try and ride the wave of popularity?

When the whole Kickstarter thing blew up earlier this year, there was always a very quiet suspicion. That amidst all the nostalgia and indie enthusiasm, someone would use the service to try and rip people off. Well, looks like we've got our first scammers.

A Kickstarter fund for a game called Mythic: The Story of Gods and Men has been found to be a complete fabrication, to the point where even the photos of the developer's "office" had been stolen from somewhere else.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2012, 09:17:15 AM »

I see nothing in that article about any legal action taken against the person behind the Kickstarter. Shouldn't this be a police matter at this point?
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2012, 11:46:37 PM »

I view my support of Wasteland 2 as patronage, not an investment.  It's similar to being a patron of the arts, but on a smaller financial scale (at least for me).  If I get burned, then I won't contribute to that developer again.  I'll continue to support projects that interest me, especially for games that won't ever get supported by a publisher (too niche, it's not a FPS, it's turn based anything).   
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2012, 01:47:49 AM »

Quote from: Roguetad on May 01, 2012, 11:46:37 PM

I view my support of Wasteland 2 as patronage, not an investment.  It's similar to being a patron of the arts, but on a smaller financial scale (at least for me).  If I get burned, then I won't contribute to that developer again.  I'll continue to support projects that interest me, especially for games that won't ever get supported by a publisher (too niche, it's not a FPS, it's turn based anything).  

You're not the only person who views it that way - that's the way it is.  Kickstarter is not an investment vehicle, and isn't set up to be.  There are tons of laws around investments. Kickstarter is a gift at best.  The money is gone as soon as the project gets funded.  As far as I can tell, they're not even technically required to send you the rewards.

Still, I think about it the same way you do.  I like to remain idealistic and contribute to people's ideas.  I totally understand the chance that some of these tiny games I'm contributing to could end up completely sucking or just falling apart.  I've made about 10 contributions and still haven't gotten anything for it (although my HuMn wallet ships soon).  I'll keep contributing as long as people keep coming up with interesting ideas and putting them out there.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 01:49:28 AM by kathode » Logged
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2012, 02:17:08 AM »

Quote from: kathode on May 02, 2012, 01:47:49 AM

my HuMn wallet ships soon

What stops the cards from slipping out the side?  Just the elastic squeezing the two panels together?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: