http://gamingtrend.com
October 01, 2014, 10:53:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Just saw the Beach Boys in concert at St Augustine FL  (Read 563 times)
jztemple2
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: May 03, 2012, 06:46:31 AM »

Don't know how many Beach Boys fans are out there, but I'll just pass this along since I'm still hyped up after the concert and also my ears are still ringing.

My wife is a huge BB fan from when she was growing up. She actually first me them in 1964 when she won a dance contest in Jacksonville and got to go backstage and be introduced. She's always wanted to go see them again, but they broke up and life otherwise intervened.

This past weekend we saw a story on "CBS Sunday Morning" about the remaining Beach Boys teaming up and going on a 50th Anniversary tour. She turned to me and said she didn't care if we had to drive to another state, but she wanted to go sometime this year to see them. I had already been on Ticketmaster.com (anticipating her request) so when she said she wanted to go I asked her if Wednesday was OK. She got excited and asked how far we would have to go. "Oh, about a two hour drive" I said. She was more excited, but then thought about it and said "But can we get tickets?". I waited a couple of seconds purely for dramatic effect, then asked if the third row was OK icon_biggrin

The concert was at the St Augustine Amphitheater, which is outdoors but with a canopy cover. We were seated in the pit, orchestra right, third row. We actually moved back one row so we could be on the end so we had a bit more room. The seats are in a semi-circle in front of the stage so I was about three steps from the stage itself. However, that meant I was also three steps from a massive amplifier bank, which explains why five hours later my ears are still ringing.

Bruce Johnston was closest to us and would step forward from his keyboard and clown around a bit with the audience. Al Jardine and Mike Love were center stage, but I still could have hit them with a wadded up piece of paper if I gave it a good heave. David Marks was a bit farther over and Brian Wilson was over on the far end, which was too bad except that towards the end of the concert he came out from behind his piano and grabbed a guitar and came center stage so we got to see him a little better. Sadly, Brian's voice is pretty shot. The others didn't sound too bad, but since we were so close to the amps it all got a bit washed out. Still, it was great.

The event banned all cameras and recording devices, but cell phones were allowed in. My wife was worried that if I used my little iTouch (I don't have a cell phone with a camera) we'd get thrown out, so I had to wait to shoot some video till later on. Also I had to shoot from my seat and the iTouch camera is pretty lousy with zero zoom and serious contrast issues. Still, you can get a feel from the videos. I'm sitting in the first one, but I was able to shoot standing in the second one. They are just short clips:

Video #1 - "Little Deuce Coupe"

Video #2 - "Surfing USA"

The concert was a lot of fun and for any Beach Boys fans out there, it's worth the trouble to go see them in person on what might be their last tour together.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 06:27:35 PM by jztemple2 » Logged

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 07:29:17 AM »

Nice. They don't seem to be hitting that many cities in this tour, so you got pretty lucky. Their reunion at the Grammies was pretty good.  I saw the Beach Boys aka Mike Love and Bruce Johnston years ago, and I only wish I could see Brian Wilson, but he never comes here.  But I'll definitely be getting the album.
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 12:25:41 PM »

Saw them 2 or 3 times when they played on the Mall for free during the 4th of July in DC (back in the 80s).  They were pretty awesome.  thumbsup

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
Biyobi

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 06:25:04 PM »

I saw them just  few weeks ago on Opening Day for the Dodgers.  The 50th anniversary for the Beach Boys tied in nicely for the 50th of Dodger Stadium itself.  They did a live number or two as well as the National Anthem, and most of the "filler" music during the game was theirs.  My mom is an avid fan and I grew up with their music in the background so this touched the nostalgia chords in my head nicely.
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 09:09:41 PM »

while i cant say im a huge beach boys fan, i do LOVE st augustine!  hope you had fun
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 09:31:51 PM »

Quote from: Doopri on May 03, 2012, 09:09:41 PM

while i cant say im a huge beach boys fan, i do LOVE st augustine!  hope you had fun

We only went there for the concert this time, but we've been there many a time before in the past. My wife grew up in Jacksonville and her family went to St Augustine regularly to visit the beach there, so she's an old hand at getting around. The St Augustine Amphitheater is where they used to do (do they still do it?) the annual Cross & Sword show about the founding of St Augustine. It's been fancied up a bit as a concert venue, but the parking is still terrible unless you did like we did and arrive two hours early with a picnic dinner icon_biggrin.

Below is about the only decent still I was able to get with my little iTouch:

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2012, 12:54:48 AM »

Holy shit, I didn't even know the Beach Boys were still around. Lot of respect for a band that can still put on a show 50 years later.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2012, 01:06:10 AM »

they should pull the Fat Boys out of retirement for a co-tour.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2012, 08:43:43 PM »

Quote from: corruptrelic on May 04, 2012, 12:54:48 AM

Holy shit, I didn't even know the Beach Boys were still around. Lot of respect for a band that can still put on a show 50 years later.

Yeah, this reunion is quite significant in several ways. The first being that they haven't all shared the stage together in over 20 years. I think the last time that happened was on their 30th Anniversary tour where they hyped up Brian being back. The other is the Beach Boys haven't produced a studio album since 1992,  Summer in Paradise. They are putting out a new album of brand new material to coincide with the reunion called "That's Why God Made the Radio". Before all this, they were all off doing their seperate things; Brian with his band, Al Jardine with his, and Mike Love touring as the Beach Boys. That was in name only as a touring band, as they weren't allowed to record new material due to the licensing dispute, so to see them all back performing as the Beach Boys is quite significant.  It really put a smile on my face seeing them perform at the Grammies a few months back.
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2012, 09:43:15 PM »

I saw them in 2005 and was impressed at how they played 45 minutes straight, one song right into another.

Happier days!
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2012, 09:54:38 PM »

Quote from: Default on May 04, 2012, 09:43:15 PM

I saw them in 2005 and was impressed at how they played 45 minutes straight, one song right into another.

Happier days!

At St Augustine the first session was 70 minutes straight, then a twenty minute break, then about one more hour. All of the five stayed on stage during both sessions which was pretty impressive. Bruce Johnston and Mike Love never seemed to run out of energy, they were just as animated at the end of the night as they were at the start. The show did start an hour earlier than their other listed concerts because the St Augustine Amphitheater is near a residential area and the concerts have to be over by 10:30pm.

Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2012, 06:44:12 PM »

Here's the clip JZ's referring to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0aV3ku-ha8
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2012, 01:14:41 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 04, 2012, 01:06:10 AM

they should pull the Fat Boys out of retirement for a co-tour.

I cant let that funny comment go unnoticed! What would the tour be called? The fat beach boys tour?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: