http://gamingtrend.com
December 20, 2014, 01:46:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Just found out I am loosing my job...  (Read 351 times)
Arkon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: June 17, 2013, 01:01:10 PM »

So I don't know all the details at this point...but IBM is executing a few thousand "Resource Actions" as they like to call them, ie...I am being laid off.  I am really frustrated because I love what I do, and prior to IBM buying the company I worked for, things were going well.  Then after the acquisition business really dried up and there was nothing I could do about it.

I don't know the full extent yet, but I know that July 17th is my last day unless I can find a different open position within IBM that I can interview for.  Now I have to try and find motivation to continue doing work that the company has deemed as not being needed for the next month.

Sigh.

icon_frown
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 01:03:14 PM »

Man, I am sorry to hear that! I hope it will become an opportunity for you over time, leading to better things, instead of a bad thing. Here's hoping the next gig will be tons better!!

Is there a realistic chance of finding another job in IBM?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 01:04:51 PM by Razgon » Logged

A new one
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 01:07:34 PM »

Wow, that sucks Arkon.  Hopefully, this is just a door to something bigger and better

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 01:12:08 PM »

Hope it wasn't as a proof reader. I kid I kid.

I worked for IBM for almost two years. They care nothing about their employees. I have someone in my circle at church who was there 26 years and got cut 6 months from lifetime benefits.

IBM lays of 10's of thousands of people every year to keep the salaries lower.

I despise them. That said, check what opportunities there are there.

Good luck though. The economy is slowly rebounding so hopefully it won't take long. At least they gave you some notice.

Indeed.com, simplyhired.com and other job aggregators have been great for me
godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 01:37:22 PM »

I got laid off by IBM last November. We should all form a club or something.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 02:38:50 PM »

IBM is executing a few thousand "Resource Actions" as they like to call them
That's almost as good as "workforce asset reallocation."  Roll Eyes

Sorry, man  icon_frown - good luck!  icon_smile

My only advice from my limited "workforce asset reallocation" experience (laid off twice by the same newspaper in 1991, in August and November) is to keep in touch with friends/colleagues/relatives etc. by whatever means you prefer (e-mail, texting, LinkedIn, Facebook etc.). I actually had NONE of those options in 1991. I did spend a lot of time calling people.

I was out of work about 6 months. What I found helpful was to spend a lot of time in the public library a few days a week. I think it helped just being around people, and having a routine. It was tempting to play my Sega Genesis 8 hours a day, but not really conducive to my mental health.  icon_smile

My 1992 job came from applying to the same place my brother worked at in 1985-1987. I helped an out-of-work friend get a job at the same place early the next year.

My current job that I got in Oct. 2006 came my way because of someone I worked with for a matter of weeks in summer 1990 but who had good memories of me. We didn't keep in touch at all, but his wife invited me to a surprise b-day party for him in spring 2006, which seemed to refreshen his memory of me.

It might well have been 25 years since I got a job without some sort of personal connection like that. Life is funny-strange that way. icon_smile Which goes back to just keeping in touch with people. And I wouldn't necessarily recommend telling them "hey, I need a job." Just, this is what's happening with me, what's happening with you?, etc. Sometimes job leads come from unexpected places.

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: