http://gamingtrend.com
September 17, 2014, 02:08:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Joss Whedons Dollhouse starts Friday  (Read 6443 times)
Windows95
Gaming Trend Reader

Uses only Genuine Microsoft Software!

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2009, 11:26:59 PM »

I'm giving up on this series.  I would like to think it could get better, but for now I can't be bothered.

Penny Arcade

16-bit and loving it!
Isgrimnur
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2009, 01:58:45 AM »

When the musical number comes around, I want to see a dance routine by Whiskey, Tango, and Foxtrot.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2009, 01:35:04 PM »

So, there were definitely some interesting revelations in the episode. I think the big problem with the show is that it used Eliza Dushku as Echo, so it feels like she is the main character. However, you can't really have a main character without a fairly consistent personality, because there is nothing for the audience to hook on to. You have to think of it more of an ensemble, I suppose. I'm curious as to how they are going to address this as the show progresses (assuming they give it the chance).

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2009, 09:20:39 PM »

I kinda like how Echo changes little by little after every mission.

But yes, I view it as more of an ensemble cast.  I think Dushku can learn to hold a show on her own, but right now she does a good job as forefront of an ensemble of pretty good actors.  Lots of little questions raised, like why a good guy like Echo's handler is working for such a nasty company, why the boss woman keeps sending Echo out on these assignments when she knows things will go wrong.

Certainly not the best TV out there, but it's good to me and better than a lot of drek out there.

I certainly don't watch it out of some idolization of Whedon.  But even I could watch other scifi shows that were good, but not great like the stargates and such.
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2009, 10:04:07 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on March 21, 2009, 09:20:39 PM

I kinda like how Echo changes little by little after every mission...Lots of little questions raised...why the boss woman keeps sending Echo out on these assignments when she knows things will go wrong.

i thought it was interesting last night that DeWitt seemed to know Echo was drawing a picture of the house she had visited for her earlier mission when she kept saying "it isn't finished" at the end of the episode.  she's apparently aware that Echo isn't getting a clean wipe between missions but continues to send her into the field anyway...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2009, 10:15:21 PM »

Loved last night's episode.  Just a damn fine hour of Whedon-style television.  Hopefully this will be the "Prophecy Girl" of Dollhouse.  According to a TV blogger I enjoy, the eighth episode is just as good. 
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2009, 03:36:05 AM »

Um.  Wow, seriously this was a really really good episode.  Just watched the latest on Hulu.
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2009, 04:19:58 AM »

Quote from: Windows95 on March 20, 2009, 11:26:59 PM

I'm giving up on this series.  I would like to think it could get better, but for now I can't be bothered.

Methinks you gave up too soon.
Windows95
Gaming Trend Reader

Uses only Genuine Microsoft Software!

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2009, 03:13:00 PM »

Quote from: ravenvii on March 22, 2009, 04:19:58 AM

Quote from: Windows95 on March 20, 2009, 11:26:59 PM

Methinks you gave up too soon.

I might try downloading the last episode then if everyone thinks it's so good.

16-bit and loving it!
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 22, 2009, 04:41:03 PM »

Last episode was really good and I never expected the twist at the end...  Never saw it coming

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Rich
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2009, 01:26:29 AM »

I never watched Whedon's other shows but tried this one and was ready to drop it but the last episode was the first one that I thought was really good, it had a very LOST like feel to it.  I would like them to balance the episodes better with more of the Dollhouse/FBI plot and less of the weekly assignment stuff since this episode had almost none of the weekly imprint in it and was by far the most interesting in its short season.

SteamID - Rich-NauticaLNaughT
XBox 360 - NauticaLNaughT
PS3 - PTCynic
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2009, 01:52:01 AM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on March 22, 2009, 04:41:03 PM

Last episode was really good and I never expected the twist at the end...  Never saw it coming

Which one?  There were at least four pretty significant revelations in that episode: one that I totally called, one that I probably would have deduced if it had occurred to me, and two that caught me off guard. thumbsup

-Autistic Angel
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 23, 2009, 02:38:27 AM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on March 23, 2009, 01:52:01 AM

Quote from: Soulchilde on March 22, 2009, 04:41:03 PM

Which one?  There were at least four pretty significant revelations in that episode: one that I totally called, one that I probably would have deduced if it had occurred to me, and two that caught me off guard. thumbsup

-Autistic Angel

Yeah, one of my favorite things about the episode was that it felt like it had three or four finales.  Everytime it cut to commercial I expected to see the end credits only to find out there was more to go.  They really packed a whole lot into that hour.

Also, I did like how it played with expectations:

Spoiler for Hiden:
  People have been guessing that Ballard's neighbor was a doll since the first episode.  But the way things started to play out here, especially when they assigned the rapist to kill her, I had resigned myself to the fact that she was "normal" and would die, giving Ballard even more motivation to take down the dollhouse.  So it still ended up being a genuine shock when the doll reveal happened on her. 
Jiffy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 23, 2009, 03:02:42 AM »

I agree with what you said in the spoiler Kevin. I had the 'surprise' figured out early on I figured, and then doubted myself halfway through the episode. Very good way of surprising the audience.

Excellent episode. Of course, now that everyone is hooked/interested, expect to see a cancellation notice this week....
Einsteinium

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 23, 2009, 05:52:23 AM »

Anyone else think this is a sexed up remake of Dark Angel in many ways? Not that I'm really complaining. The saddest part of DA was watching Jessica Alba on the Tonight Show, thus ruining my fragile suspension-of-disbelief that she was in any way as intelligent as her character.

The fact that the built in "tabula rasa" vacant stare is Echo's default state makes it much easier to suspend disbelief in that capacity somehow Tongue
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 23, 2009, 08:47:09 PM »

Loved the episode as well, definitely think it lived up to the hype!  Everything from the main plot to the advancement of a new larger story arc to the Faith-esque battle sequences... and of course the Whedonisms like (paraphrasing) "Don't make me throw the Kindle at you."

I also had pretty much the same exact experience that Kevin mentions in his spoiler in terms of my reaction to that part of the plot.  Definitely well played out in the script and direction.

Hopefully the plot developments in this one as well as the general "feel" and direction of the show carry over into the remaining episodes (as both Joss and Eliza have seemed to indicate in interviews).  I'm sure they are already on the bubble in terms of being picked up for more episodes...

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 23, 2009, 08:52:57 PM »

As a joke, I hope at some point they are basically able to have Echo be "Faith". Or at least just have her say "five by five" once.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 23, 2009, 09:07:21 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on March 23, 2009, 02:38:27 AM

Also, I did like how it played with expectations:

Spoiler for Hiden:
  People have been guessing that Ballard's neighbor was a doll since the first episode.  But the way things started to play out here, especially when they assigned the rapist to kill her, I had resigned myself to the fact that she was "normal" and would die, giving Ballard even more motivation to take down the dollhouse.  So it still ended up being a genuine shock when the doll reveal happened on her. 

Ditto on all counts.  The misdirection was really well pulled off.

I also have to say how much I enjoyed the fight choreography in this episode.  It's tough to make an extended throwdown look plausible when one of the fighters has six inches and 150lbs. on the other, but I thought they really pulled it off. thumbsup

-Autistic Angel
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 02, 2009, 11:25:42 PM »

I don't want to spoil anything for those that haven't seen it, but last night's episode was awesome.  thumbsup

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 02, 2009, 11:35:42 PM »

The last few episodes were awesome (except for last week's "dead mom comes back to watch funeral" episode.

Epic fail for the lack of Dollhouse chatter here.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 02, 2009, 11:43:40 PM »

Quote from: ravenvii on May 02, 2009, 11:35:42 PM

I've been watching it but have yet to start to care or feel anything about any of the characters except for Mellie/November, who gives me a funny feeling in my pants everytime she's on.  Also, it's a Joss Whedon show on FOX, so I figure it's life expectancy is pretty much over.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 03, 2009, 12:18:50 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 02, 2009, 11:43:40 PM

Quote from: ravenvii on May 02, 2009, 11:35:42 PM

I've been watching it but have yet to start to care or feel anything about any of the characters except for Mellie/November, who gives me a funny feeling in my pants everytime she's on.  Also, it's a Joss Whedon show on FOX, so I figure it's life expectancy is pretty much over.

Judging by the ratings, I'd say that's pretty much a given.

I came in towards the middle and saw a couple episodes, but it didn't interest me enough to keep watching.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 03, 2009, 01:16:08 AM »

From what I hear, they're going to greenlight Dollhouse for a second season, based on it's popularity on Hulu, iTunes and expected DVD sales.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 03, 2009, 03:41:48 AM »

Last night's episode was really good.  I've said it before and I'll say it again, this show has had one of the most impressive turnarounds in quality mid-season that I've ever seen.

disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 03, 2009, 04:00:10 AM »

Whedon always told viewers to stick with the show as it would get much better after the first few episodes, and he was definitely correct.  apparently Fox set certain requirements for the initial episodes, and it wasn't until a few weeks in that Whedon was able to start telling the story he intended all along.  once they got the freedom to move away from 'doll of the week' episodes and pursue the bigger plot, Dollhouse really took off and hasn't looked back.  last night's episode was fantastic and i can't wait to see what they have in store for next week's finale...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 03, 2009, 05:35:09 AM »

I didn't like the show at first because the central character was... a blank person. But as the other people have grown as characters, the show has gotten so much better, and last night's episode was great. I'm into it, undoubtedly, now.

PSN ID: EduardoX
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 03, 2009, 07:42:31 AM »

Quote from: Chaz on May 03, 2009, 03:41:48 AM

Last night's episode was really good.  I've said it before and I'll say it again, this show has had one of the most impressive turnarounds in quality mid-season that I've ever seen.

i blame fox for fucking with the first few episodes, again.

i seriously did not even see that twist coming. i'm glad i go media black out on shows like this. i guess the previews and shit spoiled it. i think show is one of the best shows on TV, next to chuck of course. I really hope another season comes. Stupid ass neilson ratings system needs to go. lets give 1,000  boxes the idiots who think american idol and survivor are good shows.  Roll Eyes
Shinjin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 04, 2009, 04:11:10 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on May 03, 2009, 07:42:31 AM

i seriously did not even see that twist coming.

I had read a spoiler earlier in the season and while watching that episode I thought that it was possibly planted misinformation.  I didn't catch on to the twist until about a minute before it happened.  Looking forward to the next episode.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 04, 2009, 04:14:33 PM »

The twist took me completely by surprise.  I was yelling at the TV.  Brilliantly done.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: May 04, 2009, 04:57:48 PM »

Quote from: Shinjin on May 04, 2009, 04:11:10 PM

Quote from: jersoc on May 03, 2009, 07:42:31 AM

i seriously did not even see that twist coming.

I had read a spoiler earlier in the season and while watching that episode I thought that it was possibly planted misinformation.  I didn't catch on to the twist until about a minute before it happened.  Looking forward to the next episode.

I had the same reaction. I couldn't see how his appearance in this episode could tie into what I had heard, so I believed I had been misinformed as well. Only near the end did things start to make sense, and by the time the twist was revealed, I was waiting for it. Still good though. smile
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 04, 2009, 10:59:12 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on May 04, 2009, 04:14:33 PM

The twist took me completely by surprise.  I was yelling at the TV.  Brilliantly done.

They kind of gave it away in the preview unfortunately, so I wasn't as surprised as I should have been.  Still I loved how it played out and the acting was great.  I've always loved Alan Tudyk but damn is he getting HOT or what!?!
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 04, 2009, 11:05:45 PM »

I'm wondering if I didn't watch the preview for last week's, or just didn't watch it close enough.  I knew that Wash was going to be in the episode, but I didn't pick up on the twist.  Really glad I didn't, because it was awesome running into it blind.

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 05, 2009, 12:04:21 AM »

Quote from: Chaz on May 04, 2009, 11:05:45 PM

I'm wondering if I didn't watch the preview for last week's, or just didn't watch it close enough.  I knew that Wash was going to be in the episode, but I didn't pick up on the twist.  Really glad I didn't, because it was awesome running into it blind.

The preview was pretty spastic, but showed Wash in it, and showed (IIRC) Fred/Illyria (what are we calling her anyway?) saying "Alpha!" or some such, so as the ep played out and there were no other guest stars showing up, it kind of just struck me...
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: May 05, 2009, 01:04:53 AM »

What is it at, 1 or 2 episodes left to air?  The show just started getting really good and now they can it.  Network execs suck.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 05, 2009, 01:30:26 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on May 05, 2009, 01:04:53 AM

What is it at, 1 or 2 episodes left to air?  The show just started getting really good and now they can it.  Network execs suck.

Unless I missed something, it hasn't been canceled yet.  Most TV analysts seem to peg it at 50/50 coming back. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 05, 2009, 02:28:04 AM »

Quote from: Chaz on May 04, 2009, 11:05:45 PM

I figured it out early on (about the time they mentioned a body in Houston), plus he was going way over the top the way he was acting.

Because I can,
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 05, 2009, 02:30:35 AM »

I think this Friday is the season finale.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 05, 2009, 02:36:04 AM »

Quote from: Chaz on May 05, 2009, 02:30:35 AM

I think this Friday is the season finale.

yep.  there are actually 2 more episodes, but FOX was only contracted to air 13 episodes.  since they had to re-shoot the pilot, they counted that as part of the 13 episode order so the actual 13th episode became the 14th.  the un-aired  episode (which has the hottie Felicia Day in it) is going to be included in the season one DVD set.

Because I can,
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: May 05, 2009, 03:11:39 AM »

All of which does not bode well for the show being picked up for another (hopefully full) season.

Wouldn't mind Ms. Day walking around as a doll in those outfits though.

Oh yeah, so have the Penny Arcade guys posted a rebuttal comic yet?  The show has gotten really good despite the early, and warranted, criticisms.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 05:57:19 AM by Turtle » Logged
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 05, 2009, 04:39:48 AM »

At the time, the criticisms were warranted.  The first several episodes were definitely not good.  They've certainly made good on promises that the quality would improve, but that doesn't make those first episodes any better.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: