http://gamingtrend.com
July 28, 2014, 04:30:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Joss Whedon to direct 'The Avengers'  (Read 19636 times)
Isgrimnur
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #320 on: May 03, 2012, 07:34:24 PM »

On a serious note, a good friend and my GF will be seeing it Monday evening.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #321 on: May 03, 2012, 09:45:18 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on May 03, 2012, 07:32:24 PM

I sure hope Joss gets around to directing the film before it hits theaters on Friday. 

Hasnt the movie premiered in the US yet?

A new one
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #322 on: May 03, 2012, 09:54:27 PM »

just found out the local one screen theater is actually doing a midnight showing for this.  I may not go tonight but heck, if they keep up with their $4 ticket pricing it's where I might see it this weekend. 

bonus:  they also serve beer.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #323 on: May 03, 2012, 10:13:04 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 03, 2012, 09:54:27 PM

just found out the local one screen theater is actually doing a midnight showing for this.  I may not go tonight but heck, if they keep up with their $4 ticket pricing it's where I might see it this weekend. 

bonus:  they also serve beer.

'the local one screen theater'.  icon_lol

You so live in the fucking boonies.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #324 on: May 04, 2012, 12:31:20 PM »

Anybody catch a midnight show? Although I saw Captain America 4 times last summer, the opening day crowd was the one that really got into it (cheered, applauded etc.), and I certainly enjoy that. Of course when the theater's packed it's a pain in the ass to get out of one's seat and go to the restroom. Maybe I'll sit near the aisle.  icon_smile The movie's 2 1/2 hours long and it sounds like the sequences where you'd feel you wouldn't miss anything too exciting are in the early part of the film. So I might lay off the caffeinated beverages.  Bring your own!

Unless the shows sell out quickly tonight I'm hoping to catch an IMAX show after work. I'll probably have to go for something like an 8 p.m. show.

Oh crap, I should've figured -- the IMAX shows are already selling out.   icon_frown icon_razz Ah cripes. Every show at a reasonable hour tonight is selling out.  icon_neutral

Update: Went ahead and ordered tix for a morning AMC theater IMAX 3-D show tomorrow, so I'll tote the momster to that. I'll probably try to catch it at a Regal theater in 2-D tonight.

From what I've heard, the 3-D doesn't really add to or detract from the film. It's basically an excuse to charge you $16 instead of $12 (or whatever the diff, depending on the theater chain)  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 02:11:56 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #325 on: May 04, 2012, 02:27:38 PM »

Caught a midnight screening last night. And I must say.. I was never a Joss Whedon fan before, but I'm sure one now. Between this one and 'Cabin In The Woods', he has batted it out of the park several times over. 'Avengers' is truly a fantastic film. A perfect, entertaining blockbuster thru and thru. The movie truly ramps it up to '11' and wins. I'm already thinking about a second viewing in theaters--something I rarely do--because it's *that* good. Maybe a third viewing.  nod

The things that I loved about it! At the top of my head:

Spoiler for Hiden:
--The three-way fight between Thor, Iron-Man and Capt America in the woods at night. Just testororiffic! I liked how they showed that Capt America's shield truly is indestructible.

--The fight between Thor and Hulk in the carrier. Another terrific action set-piece.. and later on in the film: How the Hulk just casually punches Thor off-frame

--Loki turned out to be a much better villain than I first tought.. because of his ability to fuck with people's heads. Specially, the scene when he seems to beat The Black Widow psychologically down.. (but he confesses to his true plans: To unleash the Hulk)

--Robert Downey Jr and Iron-Man. This is the film when Iron-Man truly feels like a super-hero to me. Before, he was just a billionaire with a cool machine. In this one, he's truly super. Love the scene when Loki beats him at the top of Stark tower and he just free dives and activates his new Mack suit.. which comes to meet him as he falls. Just awesomeness! Downey Jr wins every damn scene he's in.

--Capt America gets some very fun scenes and one-liners. My favorite one is when he gives an incredulous NYC cop orders, beats several Chitari(?) army flunkies right after, and the NYC cop runs away repeating Capt's orders. Just hilarious!

--The Hulk is truly amazing in the film. Mark Ruffalo makes for a very, very good Bruce Banner. Once the Hulk is unleashed, every action set-piece he's in is just unbelievably good. Whedon really did justice too Hulk... specially when the Hulk totally kicks Loki's ass. The utterly best and most hilarious scene in the film!

--The very last shot after the credits is pretty fucking funny. Whedon really knows how to bring out the humor when it's needed... specially a scene earlier in the film when Tony Stark points out a SHIELD agent is playing Galaga on a ship monitor.
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #326 on: May 04, 2012, 02:30:40 PM »

I went to the midnight show last night, and it was incredible. The movie was amazing, and it was a great crowd that cheered at all the right times and stayed quiet during the rest of the film. Lots of comedy, and packed with action. The movie was so good that even waking up to a flat tire on just 2.5 hours of sleep couldn't ruin my good mood.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #327 on: May 04, 2012, 03:19:12 PM »

Quote from: msteelers on May 04, 2012, 02:30:40 PM

I went to the midnight show last night, and it was incredible. The movie was amazing, and it was a great crowd that cheered at all the right times and stayed quiet during the rest of the film. Lots of comedy, and packed with action. The movie was so good that even waking up to a flat tire on just 2.5 hours of sleep couldn't ruin my good mood.

thumbsup

Other than signaling the end of my weekend, Sunday can't get here fast enough.
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #328 on: May 04, 2012, 03:23:18 PM »

7:30 PM 3D Imax!!!!! CAN'T WAIT!!!!!

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #329 on: May 04, 2012, 03:28:26 PM »

PVP Online's Scott Kurtz weighed in (not that he's objective with Whedon, he came up with the "Joss Whedon is my master now!" slogan afterall  icon_smile) on Twitter:
Scott Kurtz ‏ @pvponline

Best. Superhero. Movie. Ever.
icon_cool

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #330 on: May 04, 2012, 03:37:07 PM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on May 04, 2012, 03:23:18 PM

We were going to do IMAX, but I had a friend go see another movie in IMAX 3D and they didn't like it. Hopefully Avengers will be better.

We're going to see it in XD 3D.

Sunday.  disgust
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #331 on: May 04, 2012, 05:44:22 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on May 04, 2012, 03:37:07 PM

Quote from: th'FOOL on May 04, 2012, 03:23:18 PM

We were going to do IMAX, but I had a friend go see another movie in IMAX 3D and they didn't like it. Hopefully Avengers will be better.

We're going to see it in XD 3D.

Sunday.  disgust
I recall reading that IMAX experiences widely vary, especially in theaters that have been "retrofitted" with IMAX rather than from the ground up.

If I had my druthers, I'd see it at the massive IMAX screen at the Dulles Air and Space Museum Annex (near Dulles Airport, Va.). That has a truly amazing screen, but it has ridiculous rules (no food or drink in the theater, as it's mainly used for educational films and the like), $20 parking fees, etc.

I'm hoping to catch about a 6:55 p.m. show tonight in a good ole' 2-D theater (it is digital w/ digital sound at least, hopefully not a tiny screen). It bugs me I can't really tell with these mega multiplexes (unless its Imax, which is obviously a big screen) from the times or tickets whether it's on a good sized screen or not. I'd like to think on opening day, that's all it would be playing on, but I just can't tell.  icon_confused

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #332 on: May 04, 2012, 05:59:07 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on May 04, 2012, 03:28:26 PM

PVP Online's Scott Kurtz weighed in (not that he's objective with Whedon, he came up with the "Joss Whedon is my master now!" slogan afterall  icon_smile) on Twitter:
Scott Kurtz ‏ @pvponline

Best. Superhero. Movie. Ever.
icon_cool

I'm going to have to disagree with that.  It's an awesome movie, but it's not the best superhero movie ever.

Also, there's absolutely no reason to see this in 3D.  It is a conversion, after all.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #333 on: May 04, 2012, 07:01:29 PM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on May 04, 2012, 02:27:38 PM

Caught a midnight screening last night. And I must say.. I was never a Joss Whedon fan before, but I'm sure one now. Between this one and 'Cabin In The Woods', he has batted it out of the park several times over. 'Avengers' is truly a fantastic film. A perfect, entertaining blockbuster thru and thru. The movie truly ramps it up to '11' and wins. I'm already thinking about a second viewing in theaters--something I rarely do--because it's *that* good. Maybe a third viewing.  nod

The things that I loved about it! At the top of my head:

Spoiler for Hiden:
--The three-way fight between Thor, Iron-Man and Capt America in the woods at night. Just testororiffic! I liked how they showed that Capt America's shield truly is indestructible.

--The fight between Thor and Hulk in the carrier. Another terrific action set-piece.. and later on in the film: How the Hulk just casually punches Thor off-frame

--Loki turned out to be a much better villain than I first tought.. because of his ability to fuck with people's heads. Specially, the scene when he seems to beat The Black Widow psychologically down.. (but he confesses to his true plans: To unleash the Hulk)

--Robert Downey Jr and Iron-Man. This is the film when Iron-Man truly feels like a super-hero to me. Before, he was just a billionaire with a cool machine. In this one, he's truly super. Love the scene when Loki beats him at the top of Stark tower and he just free dives and activates his new Mack suit.. which comes to meet him as he falls. Just awesomeness! Downey Jr wins every damn scene he's in.

--Capt America gets some very fun scenes and one-liners. My favorite one is when he gives an incredulous NYC cop orders, beats several Chitari(?) army flunkies right after, and the NYC cop runs away repeating Capt's orders. Just hilarious!

--The Hulk is truly amazing in the film. Mark Ruffalo makes for a very, very good Bruce Banner. Once the Hulk is unleashed, every action set-piece he's in is just unbelievably good. Whedon really did justice too Hulk... specially when the Hulk totally kicks Loki's ass. The utterly best and most hilarious scene in the film!

--The very last shot after the credits is pretty fucking funny. Whedon really knows how to bring out the humor when it's needed... specially a scene earlier in the film when Tony Stark points out a SHIELD agent is playing Galaga on a ship monitor.

re your spoilers

Spoiler for Hiden:
Hulk is simply brilliant in this movie - I think I remember reading somewhere that they would only make a new Hulk movie if they could make  Hulk in such a way that people responded to him positively in an Avengers film, and they most certainly did so here - Because yes, the Hulk beating Loki scene is utter genius!

A new one
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #334 on: May 04, 2012, 07:19:50 PM »

Speaking of Scott Kurtz, he mentioned a nice GQ profile that although it just ran, was apparently based on interviews from February:

The Geek Shall Inherit the Earth
http://www.gq.com/entertainment/movies-and-tv/201205/joss-whedon-interview-avengers-buffy-firefly-dr-horrible-sing-along-blog?currentPage=1

My favorite comic book movies to date are, chronologically (no proclamations of "best ever," these are just movies I'm fondest of):
-Superman 2
-Spider-Man 2
-Iron Man
-The Dark Knight
-Captain America

So I'll let ya'll know where Avengers fits in there tonight.  icon_smile With me it's really more about the characters than the FX. Critics tend to say "comic book" as this negative adjective but most comics I read are if anything over plotted, and very emotional. You really get involved in the characters' lives and their choices. I like when comic book movies do that right.

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
stimpy

I'm makin a move!!

View Profile
« Reply #335 on: May 04, 2012, 07:40:31 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on May 04, 2012, 07:19:50 PM

My favorite comic book movies to date are, chronologically (no proclamations of "best ever," these are just movies I'm fondest of):
-Superman 2
-Spider-Man 2
-Iron Man
-The Dark Knight
-Captain America

So I'll let ya'll know where Avengers fits in there tonight.  icon_smile With me it's really more about the characters than the FX. Critics tend to say "comic book" as this negative adjective but most comics I read are if anything over plotted, and very emotional. You really get involved in the characters' lives and their choices. I like when comic book movies do that right.

Hmmm....but no Watchmen on your list?
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #336 on: May 04, 2012, 08:01:42 PM »

I've always somewhat disliked the hulk. The movies were ok at best, and considering I don't remember anything from them they were probably pretty bad. And I could never get into the comics. So I didn't have high hopes for the hulk going into the film.

Having said that, I think he was my favorite part of the movie. They managed to put a lot of character into a giant green monster. I still don't think I would want to see a solo movie with him though.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #337 on: May 04, 2012, 08:16:58 PM »

Quote from: pr0ner on May 04, 2012, 05:59:07 PM

It's an awesome movie, but it's not the best superhero movie ever.

It's on my personal short list. I loved the iron man, Thor, and captain America movies, and this one is better than all of them.

I would put it top 3 with the dark knight and the watchmen. The Dark Knight gets the top nod, because it's a great movie that just happens to have a super hero in it. The Avengers wisely doesn't try to do that. Its just two hours of raw super hero action. I can't think of any other movie that matches it.

Maybe I'll adjust my rankings as time goes on. The last time I enjoyed a super hero movie this much was spider-man, and I can barely watch that now.

Mystic95Z
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #338 on: May 04, 2012, 08:59:45 PM »

Saw it with the kids earlier, my fav super hero movie thus far.
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #339 on: May 05, 2012, 12:58:23 AM »

Razgon, re: your Hulk spoiler: Yes, I agree--The Hulk steals the show in the movie. I definitely would like to see another Hulk film with Ruffalo as the lead and the level of awesomeness Hulk has here.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #340 on: May 05, 2012, 01:59:11 AM »

How much Paltrow does this film have?  I have a limited tolerance level for  that woman.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #341 on: May 05, 2012, 02:31:37 AM »

Paltrow's everywhere Fabulous so you'll just hafta skip the movie  smirk Those of us who enjoyed their repartee in the first IM however should enjoy her couple scenes. icon_smile

I loved it, audience was really into it, especially The Hulk.  icon_twisted The 2D was fine and I sat about 4th row, off to the left side a bit.

A couple reviews claimed there was some appearance (like a cameo) by a beloved Marvel character but darned if I noticed anything (including the post credit sequences), unless they meant the usual Stan Lee cameo  icon_confused

While I enjoyed all the humor, sometimes the laughter was so loud, I couldn't quite make out the ensuing dialogue.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 02:34:17 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #342 on: May 05, 2012, 02:41:20 AM »

SO GOOD!!! SOOOOOOO GOOOOD!!!!!!!

Mike Dunn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #343 on: May 05, 2012, 03:58:08 AM »

Btw, even the trailers lineup was awesome:
The Amazing Spider-Man
Brave (Pixar's latest)
The Dark Knight
Frankenweenie (Disney animated b/w film by Tim Burton)
Prometheus
End of Watch (gritty handicam actioner about two LA officers who draw a Mexican cartel's ire)

A helluva lot of entertainment from the trailers alone, 20 minutes worth  icon_cool
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 04:00:15 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #344 on: May 05, 2012, 05:32:50 AM »

Epic movie was epic.  There wasn't a single thing in this movie I didn't like.  (well, mostly true)

Soooo much awesome dialog and good on the mark character stuff.

If you didn't get the cameo after the credits, I'm not sure you can be a Marvel fan  ninja
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 05:34:28 AM by Harkonis » Logged
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #345 on: May 05, 2012, 06:25:25 AM »

Movie was excellent. Fun, action, comedy, all of it.  Great flick!

You all stayed to the very end of the credits, right???

Question about something we all missed:

Spoiler for Hiden:
What did the Hulk say after he slammed Loki around like a rag doll?  The whole theater was laughing and we missed it.
th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #346 on: May 05, 2012, 06:30:33 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on May 05, 2012, 06:25:25 AM

Movie was excellent. Fun, action, comedy, all of it.  Great flick!

You all stayed to the very end of the credits, right???

Question about something we all missed:

Spoiler for Hiden:
What did the Hulk say after he slammed Loki around like a rag doll?  The whole theater was laughing and we missed it.

Spoiler for Hiden:
"Puny god!"

Mike Dunn
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #347 on: May 05, 2012, 06:32:20 AM »

Thank you!
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #348 on: May 05, 2012, 06:50:59 AM »

man, I caught the first post credit scene, didn't see there was a second one frown
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #349 on: May 05, 2012, 11:22:07 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on May 05, 2012, 06:50:59 AM

man, I caught the first post credit scene, didn't see there was a second one frown
The 2nd one (apparently unique to the N. American release I read) is certainly nothing critical or, foreshadowing of characters or events. The theater I went to was 2/3 empty by the time the second one played. So don't feel bad. Just go see it again! icon_smile

I kinda wish characters stopped a beat after funny moments so the laughter dies down a bit before the next line. When's the last time I said that about a super hero movie? Never  icon_biggrin

Btw, gotta love a 2012 movie that references a 1981 (!) arcade game. Realistically, ya gotta be 40ish to have even played it  icon_smile
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 11:26:15 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #350 on: May 05, 2012, 03:01:19 PM »

My nephew would have gotten that reference just fine, he's 17  ninja
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #351 on: May 05, 2012, 03:06:27 PM »

Hell, I could go somewhere today and play that game in an arcade cabinet.

No way you need to be in your 40s to get the reference.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #352 on: May 05, 2012, 03:35:25 PM »

Absolutely amazing film. The best part? This was a properly done team-up - everyone had their time in the limelight, nobody was overshadowed by anyone else, and the entire team looked competent and knew what they were doing.

Some of my favorite moments:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Loki starts off with his 'I am a God' speech at the Hulk, who suddenly interrupts him and smashes him into the ground over and over again. "Puny God!"

Captain America giving orders to the entire team towards the end. He turns towards the Hulk and just goes: "Hulk.... Smash." biggrin

And shame on you all for not staying for the 'very end of credit sequence' bit. Every other movie has had one so far - did you expect any different here? Tongue

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #353 on: May 05, 2012, 04:17:59 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on May 05, 2012, 03:35:25 PM

And shame on you all for not staying for the 'very end of credit sequence' bit. Every other movie has had one so far - did you expect any different here? Tongue

Spoiler for Hiden:
The end credits bit made me crave shawarma.

Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #354 on: May 05, 2012, 04:20:40 PM »

Spoiler for Hiden:
Thanos makes for a AWESOME villain for Avengers.  The Mad Titan

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #355 on: May 05, 2012, 07:47:08 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on May 05, 2012, 02:31:37 AM

A couple reviews claimed there was some appearance (like a cameo) by a beloved Marvel character but darned if I noticed anything (including the post credit sequences), unless they meant the usual Stan Lee cameo

I didn't see anything either. What were they talking about?

Quote from: Blackjack on May 05, 2012, 11:22:07 AM

Btw, gotta love a 2012 movie that references a 1981 (!) arcade game. Realistically, ya gotta be 40ish to have even played it  icon_smile

I didn't catch that part either. What'd they say?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #356 on: May 05, 2012, 07:53:53 PM »

My 76 year old mom loved it :-) looked great on IMAX though I kept sensing some sort of blur spot high in my vision though the regular and 3d glasses were clean.

Some of my favorite lines were:
Spoiler for Hiden:
"He was adopted."
"Oh... THAT'S what it does."
"Hulk? SMASH!"
I'm sure I'll remember more but those lines make me smile when I think of them  icon_smile

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #357 on: May 05, 2012, 07:59:46 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on May 05, 2012, 07:47:08 PM

Quote from: Blackjack on May 05, 2012, 02:31:37 AM

A couple reviews claimed there was some appearance (like a cameo) by a beloved Marvel character but darned if I noticed anything (including the post credit sequences), unless they meant the usual Stan Lee cameo

I didn't see anything either. What were they talking about?

Quote from: Blackjack on May 05, 2012, 11:22:07 AM

Btw, gotta love a 2012 movie that references a 1981 (!) arcade game. Realistically, ya gotta be 40ish to have even played it  icon_smile

I didn't catch that part either. What'd they say?
D,game wise, this is just a minor spoiler, if at all...
Spoiler for Hiden:
On the helicarrier, Stark says some agent was playing Galaga on a monitor, and at the end of the scene the guy pulls Galaga up on his monitor and plays it for a couple seconds  icon_smile
I guess I misread the Wash Post review quote:
Spoiler for Hiden:
"Bidding good-bye to at least one beloved character and saying hello to another in a tantalizing closing-credits hint, he leaves us wanting more - which, for now at least, is undoubtedly the right play."

I don't think that dude in the first post credits scene is "beloved"  icon_confused
So I think I just appended "beloved" where it wasn't intended,eh?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 08:18:43 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #358 on: May 05, 2012, 08:00:36 PM »

One of the Marvel characters that's quite popular was in a post credit scene.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #359 on: May 05, 2012, 08:13:19 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on May 05, 2012, 08:00:36 PM

One of the Marvel characters that's quite popular was in a post credit scene.

Yes. Who?

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: