http://gamingtrend.com
July 30, 2014, 09:44:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Marvel: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.  (Read 10585 times)
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #280 on: April 09, 2014, 09:20:43 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on April 09, 2014, 08:51:55 PM

TI'm afraid it might be too late; it looks like their ratings are just about stagnant and surprisingly they got no boost from the movie, kind of a bummer given how much fun the past couple of weeks have been.  I don't even know if an Avengers 2 crossover can save them now. 

Looking at the actual numbers, it seems to be doing ok compared to other shows in it's slot. Reading the analysis of those numbers by various sources I'm getting the impression of significant bias against the show, mostly due to critical reception of the first two thirds of the season (which is mostly warranted)

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #281 on: April 09, 2014, 09:35:31 PM »

Spoiler for Hiden:
So, we see flower dress girl interacting with Wade in the next episode. I gotta wonder what's her stance going to be now. She probably won't know that the clairvoyant doesn't exist unless someone tells her. I wonder if she'll find out and if she'll be just another casualty in the fallout from these events.

As for ratings, yeah it's sad. I think a lot of the earlier plot problems could have been smoothed over if they had just get the actors act out from the start. They knew about these sweeping story changes from the very start of the series, so why not throw in a bit more turmoil into the team from the start?

It's the same problem with having Jedi as the leads in star wars, they are presented as calm llamas in terms of character acting. So, much like Lucas overdoing that aspect in the SW movies, the director for Agents, overdid the professional agent shtick way too much in the early episodes.

And yeah, Disney and ABC will probably let it run. Marvel is still a hot property and first season scifi has always had problems getting it's audience. I wouldn't be surprised if they really push to get a major character from the movies into the show though.
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #282 on: April 10, 2014, 02:06:31 AM »

The last two episodes revived my interest in SHIELD, which had been on life support. Kudos to the writers for doing it in a self-contained way that doesn't require one to follow the movies (which I don't). I hope they can continue to balance that integration/separation so that the tv shows stands on its own while still pleasing the hardcore Marvel fans.

I'll eventually watch the Capt America movie on DVD because it's been getting such good reviews. By the time I get around to that I will have forgotten the "Capt America did blah-de-blah" line that they tossed out at the end of the last SHIELD episode. 

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: April 10, 2014, 07:17:02 PM »

Quote from: Ironrod on April 10, 2014, 02:06:31 AM

The last two episodes revived my interest in SHIELD, which had been on life support. Kudos to the writers for doing it in a self-contained way that doesn't require one to follow the movies (which I don't). I hope they can continue to balance that integration/separation so that the tv shows stands on its own while still pleasing the hardcore Marvel fans.

I'll eventually watch the Capt America movie on DVD because it's been getting such good reviews. By the time I get around to that I will have forgotten the "Capt America did blah-de-blah" line that they tossed out at the end of the last SHIELD episode. 

I was really curious to see how the episodes played out for people that didn't watch the movie.  Really glad to hear that you still liked i.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #284 on: April 16, 2014, 01:56:40 PM »

So, the acting is definitely better now that everyone is at each other's throats and allowed to be unprofessional.

Spoiler discussion:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Well, I guess that puts the kabosh on Hand surviving that. It's too bad, I was starting to really like that character, and there's kind of a lack of stronger female characters in the show. Well, at least in command positions.

Let's hope Raina turns good and steps up.

Also yay for diversity! A black man on the team, sadly not enough time for him to develop as a character and I'm not ever sure he'll survive when or if Ward returns.

With so much happening, I'm kind of sad that the next Marvel movie won't really touch on the conflicts on Earth that much. Thankfully the series is picking up, and has enough clout behind it to keep it airing despite the ratings. Still, I want to see how those other well known characters are taking it.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 02:17:41 PM by Turtle » Logged
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #285 on: April 18, 2014, 12:40:54 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on April 16, 2014, 01:56:40 PM

Thankfully the series is picking up, and has enough clout behind it to keep it airing despite the ratings. Still, I want to see how those other well known characters are taking it.

I read somewhere that it's almost certain to get another season, probably more on the strength of its synergy with the Marvel movies than on its own ratings. I hope it won't become yet another show that was canceled just as it started to get good.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #286 on: April 23, 2014, 07:06:10 PM »

Another good episode last night.  As Turtle said, somehow the acting seems to have improved dramatically now that things are in disarray.  The cast looks a lot more comfortable with their individual roles now as well, so a lot of the dialog doesn't feel as forced as it did early in the season.  Feels like patient viewers are finally being rewarded for having faith in Joss.  Praise Joss!!! 
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #287 on: April 30, 2014, 05:50:06 AM »

So, great lines from Sky tonight, calling out the whole Nazi thing and Ward trying to be all nonchalant about it.

Spoiler for Hiden:
I'm still going to be angry if Ward ever rejoins the group. Sorry, but the whole murderer of many beloved characters, unleashing hordes of other murderers, and generally being a nazi.

There's parallels to the Star Wars prequels terrible directing again. They try to make ward sympathetic, but he's done too much. Like Lucas trying to push Vader still having good within him, but then showing him killing children. They're pushing the whole non-personal agent just following orders angle didn't work for the nazis on trial, wouldn't work for Ward.

Kind of hoping he dies trying to redeem himself, or something, because one act of heroism and a sob story next week isn't enough.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 05:56:47 AM by Turtle » Logged
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: April 30, 2014, 03:08:46 PM »

Ratings-wise, imho it was a mistake to counter-program an old ratings warhorse like NCIS. I don't see Agents ever having strong ratings against it. Not even if they turn Coulson into Thanos, Maria Hill into a strip tease dancer, Sky into a virtual prostitute and Ward into a robot Nazi.  retard So my theory is find a time slot where fans can find it but where it won't get pummeled into the ratings by a top-5 show that has built up a huge audience over many seasons.

My gut feeling is ABC/Disney will renew the show so as to not tick off Joss Whedon by firing his brother and sister-in-law. And perhaps they think if the show survives long enough, maybe Whedon will get more directly involved in the show once Avengers: Age of Ultron's released (almost exactly 1 year from now - May 1, 2015).

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #289 on: April 30, 2014, 03:20:06 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on April 30, 2014, 03:08:46 PM

Ratings-wise, imho it was a mistake to counter-program an old ratings warhorse like NCIS. I don't see Agents ever having strong ratings against it. Not even if they turn Coulson into Thanos, Maria Hill into a strip tease dancer, Sky into a virtual prostitute and Ward into a robot Nazi.  retard So my theory is find a time slot where fans can find it but where it won't get pummeled into the ratings by a top-5 show that has built up a huge audience over many seasons.

My gut feeling is ABC/Disney will renew the show so as to not tick off Joss Whedon by firing his brother and sister-in-law. And perhaps they think if the show survives long enough, maybe Whedon will get more directly involved in the show once Avengers: Age of Ultron's released (almost exactly 1 year from now - May 1, 2015).

I bet Josh wants the show around until Avengers 2 comes out for story telling purposes. So he may have more invested in the show than just his relatives.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #290 on: April 30, 2014, 11:32:38 PM »

The show keeps the name in the public regardless of ratings.  The movies are a big enough vehicle I wouldn't be surprised if they keep the show on for years just as a form of advertising
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #291 on: May 07, 2014, 07:27:51 PM »

Looking at the schedule, season 2 will be finishing right around the time that Avengers 2: Age of Boogaloo comes out.  I highly doubt that there's going to be any crossover with Guardians of the Galaxy, due to the setting and it coming out in August.  Ant-Man would follow at the end of a season 3, with Captain America 3 being in the following summer. 

With that schedule, you've lost anything to tie it to until late in the game, past the point where renewal decisions will have been made.  Starting next season, it's going to have to live and die on its own.  We won't be getting the Thor and Winter Soldier crossovers as close to the actual film events for the foreseeable future.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #292 on: May 07, 2014, 08:26:30 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on May 07, 2014, 07:27:51 PM

Looking at the schedule, season 2 will be finishing right around the time that Avengers 2: Age of Boogaloo comes out.  I highly doubt that there's going to be any crossover with Guardians of the Galaxy, due to the setting and it coming out in August.  Ant-Man would follow at the end of a season 3, with Captain America 3 being in the following summer. 

With that schedule, you've lost anything to tie it to until late in the game, past the point where renewal decisions will have been made.  Starting next season, it's going to have to live and die on its own.  We won't be getting the Thor and Winter Soldier crossovers as close to the actual film events for the foreseeable future.

I don't necessarily see it that way, it depends on how they want to play it.  IMDB has Avengers 2: Age of Boogaloo (LMAO) with a May 1st release date - that seems like absolutely prime crossover real-estate for the end of season 2 and May sweeps.  If they were smart, they can start cross-promoting/seeding the whole thing as an event throughout the entire season 2.  It looks like Fury might show up for this season's finale, which would put the series more squarely in line with the movie continuity (discounting Guardians as you mentioned).  If Fury's storyline continues (even in bits) throughout next season, it would make sense to have it build to his appearance in the next A2.  I mean technically right now there is no Avengers since there is no SHIELD so presumably Fury (and if I were running things, Coulson as well) will be involved in some way to re-assemble them.

The series actually can stand on its own much better now, these last few episodes have proven it.  But with some smart planning the producers and writers have a whole variety of ways to tie things to the movies.  They pulled it off somewhat with the Captain America movie, but I think they can take it even further if they play their cards right.
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #293 on: May 09, 2014, 03:45:32 AM »

ABC has renewed SHIELD for next season and added a new show called Marvel Agent Carter.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #294 on: May 09, 2014, 09:15:40 AM »

I loved the humor in the last episode, even if it did seem odd that the team is cracking jokes.  The best lines were May's "Look out HYDRA, here we come" and Coulson's "Get ready for a large file transfer"  icon_biggrin  I hope they'll continue to inject more humor and fun into the show.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #295 on: May 09, 2014, 03:42:45 PM »

Quote from: Zinfan on May 09, 2014, 03:45:32 AM

ABC has renewed SHIELD for next season and added a new show called Marvel Agent Carter.
HAYLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEY!!!!!  Fabulous

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #296 on: May 09, 2014, 05:25:59 PM »

Next up:  The Marvel Comics Comedy Hour, The Marvel Variety Show, Dancing with the Marvel Superheroes, Survivor:  Savage Land, Two Superheroes and a Baby, My Mother the Skrull, and LASERHEAD (that last one is just something I like to blurt out occasionally).

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #297 on: May 10, 2014, 11:20:24 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on May 09, 2014, 05:25:59 PM

Next up:  The Marvel Comics Comedy Hour, (hosted by DeadPool and Spidey), The Marvel Variety Show (Juggling Juggernaught, Hawkeye's Box Tricks), Dancing with the Marvel Superheroes (Death and DeadPool team-up), Survivor:  Savage Land (hosted by Kraven the Hunter), Two Superheroes and a Baby (IronMan and War Machine bringing up a baby), My Mother the Skrull
Spoiler for Hiden:
(Obviously, Spider-Woman in the lead)
, and LASERHEAD (This one is just silly) (that last one is just something I like to blurt out occasionally).
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #298 on: May 11, 2014, 12:59:17 AM »

I'll just leave this and this here.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: May 11, 2014, 07:00:11 PM »

Kraven the Hunter?  That's just crazy talk.  Ka-Zar, baby...Ka-Zar!

Chloé Wang?  How much you wanna bet she added the diacritical mark without realizing what it's grammatically supposed to represent?

edit:  "wang"  heh heh
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 05:43:03 PM by hepcat » Logged

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #300 on: May 12, 2014, 10:12:51 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on May 11, 2014, 12:59:17 AM

I'll just leave this and this here.
That is pretty interesting!
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: May 12, 2014, 10:13:33 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on May 11, 2014, 07:00:11 PM

Chloé Wang?  How much you wanna bet she added the diacritical mark without realizing what it's grammatically supposed to represent?

Never liked Ka-Zar.. Not a Tarzan fan either, so that is probably why.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #302 on: May 13, 2014, 02:06:08 AM »

Quote from: hepcat on May 11, 2014, 07:00:11 PM

Chloe Wang is the actress's real name, but I can see now why she changed it slywink

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: May 13, 2014, 01:42:50 PM »

Quote from: Punisher on May 12, 2014, 10:13:33 PM

Never liked Ka-Zar.. Not a Tarzan fan either, so that is probably why.

I'm sure it's not your fault.  Don't feel bad.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #304 on: May 14, 2014, 06:33:10 AM »

Wow, such a turn around from this show.

A great finale that wraps up so much, and leaves some fun and interesting stuff for next season.

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: May 14, 2014, 04:37:15 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on May 14, 2014, 06:33:10 AM

A great finale that wraps up so much, and leaves some fun and interesting stuff for next season.

Definitely!  Now that's how to do a season finale!!!  Even though the episode wasn't written by Joss Whedon, you could definitely feel the influences and the show finally had more of a Whedon feel to it.  That unique blend of action, humor, drama and romance - it's pretty rare to get it right.  Of course having Samuel Jackson to anchor much of the content sure doesn't hurt at all, he was fantastic!

I'd be hard pressed to pick my favorite line or scene, there were so many, but the one that stuck out for me was:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Fitz's "let me show you" moment/sacrifice.  So I'm a sucker for an unrequited romance, sue me!!!
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #306 on: May 14, 2014, 06:34:16 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on May 14, 2014, 04:37:15 PM

Definitely!  Now that's how to do a season finale!!!  Even though the episode wasn't written by Joss Whedon, you could definitely feel the influences and the show finally had more of a Whedon feel to it.  That unique blend of action, humor, drama and romance - it's pretty rare to get it right.  Of course having Samuel Jackson to anchor much of the content sure doesn't hurt at all, he was fantastic!

I'd be hard pressed to pick my favorite line or scene, there were so many, but the one that stuck out for me was:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Fitz's "let me show you" moment/sacrifice.  So I'm a sucker for an unrequited romance, sue me!!!

I actually checked IMDB at one point during the show because at certain points, the writing seemed to have been elevated to that Joss level.  No matter who actually wrote it, I would not be surprised to find that Joss had given it a bit of attention.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #307 on: May 14, 2014, 10:32:38 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on May 14, 2014, 06:34:16 PM

Quote from: rittchard on May 14, 2014, 04:37:15 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:

I actually checked IMDB at one point during the show because at certain points, the writing seemed to have been elevated to that Joss level.  No matter who actually wrote it, I would not be surprised to find that Joss had given it a bit of attention.

I was sure by the end of the episode that Joss had a hand in writing it.  Great season finale.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: May 15, 2014, 05:49:28 AM »

My favorite part
Spoiler for Hiden:
Lanyard
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #309 on: May 15, 2014, 07:04:54 AM »

otter's was close to my favorite, but my favorite was definitely 'I found it'  my fiancee laughed for entirely too long on that part
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #310 on: May 15, 2014, 09:16:23 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on May 15, 2014, 07:04:54 AM

otter's was close to my favorite, but my favorite was definitely 'I found it'  my fiancee laughed for entirely too long on that part

Very good part as well with just one thing that bothered me.

Spoiler for Hiden:
There was a body on the floor indicating that Garret had killed someone while getting out of his box, seemed a bit out of place along with the humor of the moment
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #311 on: May 15, 2014, 09:51:38 PM »

Quote from: Zinfan on May 15, 2014, 09:16:23 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:
There was a body on the floor indicating that Garret had killed someone while getting out of his box, seemed a bit out of place along with the humor of the moment

Spoiler for Hiden:
...which was a totally Joss Whedon moment. Body included.

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #312 on: May 16, 2014, 10:12:58 AM »

Quote from: Zinfan on May 15, 2014, 09:16:23 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:

Spoiler for Hiden:
That scene bothered me too.  It seemed like Coulson was waiting to see if Garrett would wake up, so why didn't he stop Garrett from killing that scientist?  If he wasn't there when it happened, then he's still responsible for getting that scientist killed by foolishly leaving a cyborg's supposedly dead body without a guard.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #313 on: May 16, 2014, 01:21:58 PM »

I think you're overthinking that scene too much.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #314 on: May 16, 2014, 03:17:31 PM »

Spoiler for Hiden:
People in the Marvel universe don't seem to think twice about leaving enemies (possibly) alive and unrestrained behind them. 

As per the scene discussed above or the opening of CA: Winter Soldier. 

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #315 on: May 17, 2014, 12:52:41 AM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on May 16, 2014, 03:17:31 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:
People in the Marvel universe don't seem to think twice about leaving enemies (possibly) alive and unrestrained behind them. 

As per the scene discussed above or the opening of CA: Winter Soldier. 

Spoiler for Hiden:
Well, to be honest, not many can take a full on hit from Captain America and get up again. Batroc's kind of a special, and silly, case.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #316 on: May 18, 2014, 05:54:44 AM »

I just re-watched the last three episodes of the season again, and have to say they really were fantastic.  Great turn around for the show and really leaves me hopeful and excited for season 2 (and more).  If you were interested in the show and the movie connection but disappointed early on, I'd encourage you to watch maybe the last 6 episodes of the show, or at least the final 4. 
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: May 18, 2014, 06:08:42 AM »

Also some random musings on Skye's origin.  I haven't had any theories come to mind, and the only clue they've floated on the show is she's from Hunan.  Do a search on Marvel and Hunan and what pops up?  Shang Chi, the Master of Kung Fu:

http://www.comicvine.com/shang-chi/4005-12716/

Doesn't seem very helpful until you scroll down a bit and read about a Secret Avengers storyline which ties him to Cap and Ant Man and I assume SHIELD.  He finds out his father is Zheng Zu or something like that, who turns out to be Fu Manchu, an evil sorcerer dude who happens to be close to avoid death by drinking the blood of his ancestors.  Kinda interesting huh?  Ties the immortality and healing themes from the show.  So maybe Skye is a replacement character for Shang, or they could introduce him as a twin brother.  It would certainly fit in the lesser heroes with easy to display on TV motif. 
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: