http://gamingtrend.com
August 21, 2014, 02:39:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jon Stewart rips into CNN's Crossfire...on Crossfire  (Read 2534 times)
Zerthimon
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« on: October 16, 2004, 09:06:03 PM »

http://www.ifilm.com/filmdetail?ifilmid=2652831

As someone who is becoming increasingly frustrated by the news organizations not living up to their responsibility, this made me quite happy
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2004, 09:23:29 PM »

Talk about Jon Stewart pwning Crossfire.

Tucker Carlson: "You never asked John Kerry any hard questions?"
Jon Stewart: "The show that leads into mine is puppets making crank calls..."

biggrin

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2004, 10:14:18 PM »

I think he went a bit overboard though, basically calling the bow tie wearing guy a dick.
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2004, 10:39:24 PM »

I thought it was great. I dont like crossfire, and I think what he said was true. And the bowtie guy was being a dick.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2004, 11:40:58 PM »

I like Jon Stewart.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Juntei
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2004, 12:06:43 AM »

I think Stewart realized the futility of his efforts at the end. Sad because he actually seemed to be trying to make a point and they kept tryin to talk over him and bash him. But I guess that's the point of shows like Crossfire.
deckard
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2004, 12:37:35 AM »

Quote from: "Lee"
I think he went a bit overboard though, basically calling the bow tie wearing guy a dick.

Well, he is, isn't he?  It's amazing how far TV journalism has fallen with the advent of Fox News.  I'm not blaming Fox News, perse, but IMO, they represent the worst(O'Reilly, Hannity & Colmes, etc.) and unfortunately, the other cable news networks seem to follow suit in order to stay competitive.  In the end, though, it's hard to argue with the strategy since it seems to be what the people want, ratings seem to be up across the board.
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2004, 08:12:28 PM »

Everyone I know can't stand the show.

And a 35 year old man should not be wearing a bow-tie.  Seems slightly elitist to me.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
B Dog
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2004, 08:44:33 PM »

I watched it in a state of near-euphoria.  For guys that always seem to have something to say, Begala and Carlson looked like the proverbial deer caught in the headlights.

I think at first Begala and Carlson thought he was just goofing on them and would let it go.  To Stewart's great credit, he stuck to his guns...even once it appeared that any substantive discussion about Crossfire itself was a pipe dream.

Perhaps my favorite part occurred as they were heading to commercial at the end of the interview.  You could hear Stewart say in his classically sarcastic style: "Well, that went well."  :lol:
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2004, 09:26:17 PM »

They invited him expecting an easy target to make them feel good about themselves as a show that can ask the hard questions.  But like he said, when you have to criticize the journalistic standards of a fake news show whose lead-in is puppet crank calls, what does that say about you?  For what it's worth, I think Jon Stewart is one of the best interviewers out there today, Kerry interview regardless, and certainly more insightful and relevant than Crossfire's hosts.

The Crossfire guys deserved every second of his haranguing, and especially the audience applause at his criticism (which I don't think they expected at all, and seemed to throw them off).

jessie
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2004, 09:57:43 PM »

it was hilarious to watch, and very refreshing to see two men who take themselves so seriously be picked apart by jon stewart.

http://www.grandtheftblogger.com

XBOX Live! Gamer Tag: jessthelaw
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2004, 10:12:04 PM »

Well, I would argue that for the amount that Stewart attacks others for tossing softball questions at times, he could indeed throw a few harder ones.  He tries on occasion, but since he is going for a feel-good vibe it usually doesn't go very far.  I realize of course that it's not really his role to do that, but I could still hope sometimes.  I think he does do a better job than much of the media even when asking silly questions though, and at least even though he is semi-partisan he does mock both sides when apprpriate.  I agree with Jon's basic point, and I felt the reference to spin alley was very good.  And yes, the guy with a bow tie is a dick.

(P.S.  Jon Stewart was my graduation speaker in the spring (he's an alum from William and Mary), so boo-yah.  Here's the address)

http://www.wm.edu/news/index.php?id=3650
WestNile
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2004, 05:52:47 AM »

I don't think Jon Stewart cares if he is looked at as being all for the dems or not.

Obviously he is a Kerry voter.  He has said so.

Obviously he isn't a Bush fan.  He points that out as well.

But he doesn't let this become part of his show.  I see the pundits on the right try to spin his critizisms Bush into being a pundit himself, but it is all about who is in office.

If Kerry were to win this election, we will see him ripped as well.  Kerry's administration may not be as easy a target, but I am sure they will find things.

If anything, if the Daily Show really wanted to put a nudge on this election, they would push more towards Bush.  After Bush is gone, the golden age of the Daily Show will be over.  Bush helps make that show what it is.
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2004, 01:47:28 PM »

I love Jon Stewart and The Daily Show.  People who watch the show know he has been pretty hard on Kerry's ambiguous platform and the whole Purple Heart thing.  Not as hard as he is on Bush, but he is a Democrat after all. smile
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2004, 01:54:32 PM »

Quote from: "Sparhawk"
Everyone I know can't stand the show.

And a 35 year old man should not be wearing a bow-tie.  Seems slightly elitist to me.

Not Bill Nye

Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2004, 02:11:34 PM »

Thanks for posting the link.  That was great.

I don't care for his politics at all, but he owned them completely.

This signature is intentional, ie not a mistake.  If you thing Rick Perry should be forced to resign for this crap, you're part of the problem with our country.  Give me a freaking break.
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2004, 02:34:29 PM »

Just saw it. I loved it.

BTW I guess it would be bad to mention I've never seen the daily show.?

MzDarm
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2004, 04:26:02 PM »

Quote from: "Rob_Merritt"
Just saw it. I loved it.

BTW I guess it would be bad to mention I've never seen the daily show.?

Ditto!  I saw it this morning and loved it!  Jon Stewart is "Da Man!"

Rob- Daily Show is great.  Now that you've got a taste of Jon Stewart's wit you have to pay The Daily Show a visit.  The show is awesome.  

Tucker Carlson: "You should teach a journalism class"
Jon Stewart: "You should go to one"  :lol:

MzDarm
Nueva York
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2004, 07:10:49 PM »

I totally agree with Stewart's assertion that shows like Crossfire are not about debate and are about theater pretending to be debate. My father watches Crossfire and Hannity and Colmes on Fox and whenever I try to sit down and watch with him, I get a headache because all I see are a bunch of obnoxious "hosts" with pre-conceived agendas ambushing their guests and never letting them express their points.

Bravo to Stewart for doing what he did. Although he looked pretty depressed towards the end when he relized the two bozos only wanted him as their monkey boy.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: