http://gamingtrend.com
November 24, 2014, 09:37:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: John Carter of Mars coming to the big screen  (Read 5282 times)
hepcat
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 12, 2012, 07:22:08 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on March 12, 2012, 07:20:53 PM

Quote from: hepcat on March 12, 2012, 02:12:51 PM

Your logic fails in light of the fact that recent polls show that 99.9* percent of the world has watched The Wire.  

*.1 percent reflects Canadians that refuse to watch anything that doesn't prominently feature Alan Thicke.

What's "The Wire"? Is that like "The View"? I've heard of that one. Seriously.

99.98%

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: March 13, 2012, 03:44:28 AM »

Quote from: hepcat on March 12, 2012, 07:22:08 PM

Your logic fails in light of the fact that recent polls show that 99.9* percent of the world has watched The Wire. 

*.1 percent reflects Canadians that refuse to watch anything that doesn't prominently feature Alan Thicke.

99.98%
smile

For someone who's never read the books, would you recommend picking them up?

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 13, 2012, 04:22:09 AM »

Quote from: Caine on March 13, 2012, 03:44:28 AM

For someone who's never read the books, would you recommend picking them up?

it'll only cost you your time  to check out A Princess of Mars, the first one.

also,

The Gods of Mar
Warlord of Mars
Thuvia, Maid of Mars
Chessmen of Mars
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 04:26:55 AM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 13, 2012, 05:53:04 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on March 12, 2012, 07:19:28 PM

While I want to agree with you guys wholeheartedly, was Avatar actually praised for its story and direction or just because of its technical achievement?

edit:  whoa, I had forgotten that avatar was nominated for best picture in 2010.   icon_eek  yeah, that makes no sense as the story in avatar was not all that great.

Yeah, that was definitely what I was getting at.  Avatar got praise all around, mostly A reviews from what I recall, people went nuts over the 3D and it ended up being the highest grossing movie of all time.  I mean, seriously?  And this is coming from a (now former) James Cameron fanboy.

John Carter is being torched for a number of reasons, I guess, and again today in the paper first thing I read is how it's a massive "flop."   Kind of feel bad for them.
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 13, 2012, 05:58:53 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on March 13, 2012, 05:53:04 PM

Quote from: hepcat on March 12, 2012, 07:19:28 PM

While I want to agree with you guys wholeheartedly, was Avatar actually praised for its story and direction or just because of its technical achievement?

edit:  whoa, I had forgotten that avatar was nominated for best picture in 2010.   icon_eek  yeah, that makes no sense as the story in avatar was not all that great.

Yeah, that was definitely what I was getting at.  Avatar got praise all around, mostly A reviews from what I recall, people went nuts over the 3D and it ended up being the highest grossing movie of all time.  I mean, seriously?  And this is coming from a (now former) James Cameron fanboy.

John Carter is being torched for a number of reasons, I guess, and again today in the paper first thing I read is how it's a massive "flop."   Kind of feel bad for them.

I actually read the term 'Ishtar on Mars' online just yesterday. I was like 'Ouch!!!'
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 13, 2012, 06:10:39 PM »

I wonder if they're comparing it to Ishtar because of the money that was spent on it and the belief that it won't make the majority of it back, as opposed to the movie being truly awful (which I don't feel it is).

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 13, 2012, 06:16:24 PM »

well it hasn't made the list yet.

Because I can,
Rowdy

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 14, 2012, 04:21:29 PM »

I saw this yesterday and am baffled by all the hate.  It was good to very good.  I've read the books, and certainly they merged all kinds of things together to come up with the storyline, but by no means is it a bad movie.  I can understand that if it really cost $250 million that it's probably not going to be a huge financial hit, but as far as a typical summer movie I was content.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 14, 2012, 05:11:11 PM »

It's not a great film but it's by no means a bad film.  It's certainly better than the majority of blockbuster films that get shoved down our throats each year.

Someone posted a link to this article on OO and I think it sums up the whole situation nicely.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 05:12:50 PM by hepcat » Logged

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: March 14, 2012, 05:47:06 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on March 12, 2012, 07:22:08 PM

99.98%

Revisionist. disgust

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: March 14, 2012, 06:16:35 PM »

I underestimated the power of Alan Thicke.   tear

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 14, 2012, 07:39:23 PM »

Not sure if serious (despite use of "seriously"), but don't care enough to hunt down the meme pic.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 14, 2012, 07:44:19 PM »

Because I can,
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 14, 2012, 10:38:00 PM »

My lazy disinterest was worth it for that.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: March 15, 2012, 12:53:20 PM »

F*** it. I'm going to watch this movie to support the director, and Edgar R.B.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 15, 2012, 03:40:03 PM »

Quote from: Purge on March 15, 2012, 12:53:20 PM

F*** it. I'm going to watch this movie to support the director, and Edgar R.B.

That's my take for those on the fence.  It really is a fun film.  It's not the John Carter I truly wanted but it's the John Carter I got...and as I said earlier, it's still better than the majority of block busters released every year.  To be honest, I'm not sure my expectations could have been met due to my love of the source material.  But if we want to see people making films based on time honored classics like JC instead of board games, we need to make Hollywood aware of it by voting with our wallets in these matters.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 04:15:44 PM by hepcat » Logged

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 15, 2012, 08:48:30 PM »

I was at the comic book store over lunch and the guy working there asked me if I'd seen it.  He said he liked it a lot and everyone he'd talked to at the store who had seen it did as well.  We both agreed we liked it better than Avatar.  He read that because of (?) it costing so much to make, most of the industry wanted it to fail, and thus all the bad press and such going into release.  It's really too bad because I'd much rather see a sequel to this as opposed to two more Avatar sequels. 
Roman

XboxLive: RomyBolognaPony

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 20, 2012, 01:40:34 AM »

What could have gone so wrong? Disney ready to take write down of $200 million. http://www.toronto.com/article/718260--john-carter-set-to-lose-200-million-disney-says

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Xbox Live Gamertag: RomyBolognaPony
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 20, 2012, 03:35:24 AM »

I've heard 90% good things from people here and other sites I go to. Planning to get out to see it tomorrow night.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 20, 2012, 12:47:54 PM »

But its production budget is estimated to be about $250 million with an estimated $100 million more spent on marketing.

Money well spent(!),I have only seen a commercial here and there on Sci-Fi channel

oh and saw a trailer for it before The Phantom Menace 3D

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Roman

XboxLive: RomyBolognaPony

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 20, 2012, 01:55:54 PM »

the article did state that global ticket sales are estimated at this point to be $187 mil. So it made tons of money by today's standards - but the associated costs are ri-godamn-diculous.

Xbox Live Gamertag: RomyBolognaPony
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 20, 2012, 02:26:05 PM »

Quote from: Azhag on March 20, 2012, 03:35:24 AM

I've heard 90% good things from people here and other sites I go to. Planning to get out to see it tomorrow night.
I call it the "I didn't think that was so bad" effect. You'll see many people bashing The Avengers and Dark Knight Rising this summer because reviews will probably be good and expectations will be high.

John Carter? Not so much to live up to.  icon_neutral I could see a lot of people seeing it and coming back saying "didn't think it was so bad" or "Taylor Kitsch makes me tingle when he jumps!"  The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you. biggrin I kid. I'm sure some folks genuinely like it. Just like I genuinely like many PC games that get horrible reviews and get bashed from here to Sundown.

It's doing well overseas, my understanding is CGI fests play well in other countries, but here in U.S./Canada we seem to have gotten over our CGI love affairs unless attached to Transformers with a number after the title...

imho, Brad Bird had it right with Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol. If you're making the transition from animation to live-action try tackling a known franchise with a proven (for the most part) big name star (Tom Cruise). Ghost Protocol was not cheap mind you ($150M supposedly budget), and likewise, it made its mint more overseas (almost $483M) vs. domestic ($209M).

I just think there's a big difference between that as your live action debut and a title that means nothing to the vast majority of the populace (John Carter, or John Carter from Mars, the average Joe knows squat about it). The only way that kind of film does enough box office to even break even is tremendous word-of-mouth and rave reviews, and for the most part, that's not happening.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 02:32:52 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 20, 2012, 04:25:09 PM »

Quote from: Roman on March 20, 2012, 01:55:54 PM

the article did state that global ticket sales are estimated at this point to be $187 mil. So it made tons of money by today's standards - but the associated costs are ri-godamn-diculous.

only around $53 million in the states so far though, and that's where they make most of their money back.  just over a week ago Box Office Mojo had an article about overseas:

Considering China and Japan are the largest markets in the Asian Pacific region and have yet to open, John Carter could ultimately be in for a respectable final tally. Still, historical comparisons seem to suggest that the best case scenario is around $300 million overseas, which combined with its middling domestic performance isn't going to be nearly enough to put this one in the black.

Because I can,
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 20, 2012, 05:29:02 PM »

If only they could add in the bootleg sales from illegal vendors in New York City and Hong Kong.   icon_frown

Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: March 20, 2012, 11:37:30 PM »

The other big thing about the movie is that they're talking about how much it's losing....given that the fiscal quarter ends in 10 days. 

That has absolutely NOTHING to do with how the movie actually is doing, and EVERYTHING to do with 'OMG WALL STREET IS UPSET!'

It was #3 in the box office last weekend, but it's going to take a huge hit this weekend (Hunger Games, yo). 
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: March 21, 2012, 01:35:34 AM »

Just got back and add my wife and I to the list of people that enjoyed it. Good summery film in March smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 17, 2012, 12:04:03 AM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on March 06, 2012, 05:58:34 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on March 06, 2012, 05:43:30 AM

Quote from: th'FOOL on March 06, 2012, 05:15:25 AM

Just got back from a screening.

LOVED IT!!!!!

"John Carter" is the kind of movie that makes you fall in love with watching movies. I'd like to be a 7-year old watching it for the first time this Saturday. By the end of the movie I was grinning like a doofus. Nailed the pulp vibe I daresay as good as the original Star Wars trilogy and Raiders did back in the day.

This is the first movie in a LONG time that, once the credits rolled, I realized I wish I could just stay in my seat and watch it again.

that's awesome to hear.  I heard the Alamo Drafthouse was doing a screening, wish we had something as cool as that place around here.  you checking out their celebration of 1982?

Yeah, I was hoping to go to that screening so I could take my daughter too but they haven't posted who's going yet and I already landed this other pass. I actually emailed Harry to take my name out of the hat as I want to support this movie with my wallet the next time I go biggrin

And yes, I'll be catching the summer of 82 flicks- hope they get the right to screen Blade Runner!!!!

they didn't, but looks like they added 12 more films to make up for it.

Spoiler for Hiden:
VICE SQUAD

ESCAPE 2000

THE SWORD AND THE SORCERER

PINK FLOYD'S THE WALL

CLASS OF 1984

FRIDAY THE 13TH PART 3

HALLOWEEN 3: SEASON OF THE WITCH

THE SECRET OF NIMH

Q: THE WINGED SERPENT

THE DARK CRYSTAL

FAST TIMES AT RIDGEMONT HIGH

THE LAST UNICORN

Because I can,
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: August 29, 2012, 02:01:26 AM »

It's a testament to the power of low expectations that I liked this movie a whole lot more than I thought I would. It's a pity that the financials make a sequel unlikely. In fact, it's one of the best superhero movies I've seen. Yes, that's the genre I'd put it in -- it's very much an "origin" story.

The blue sky was a strange oversight, though. It would've been so easy to tint the sky a realistic pink to orange, and it would have made Barsoom seem so much more Martian. Very odd that they either didn't think of that or decided against it.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: August 29, 2012, 12:57:59 PM »

That comment reminds me of a Drew Carrey show, where Mimi was supposed to be on the main float in a parade put on by their department store, and it was to be televised.

Drew said "That means there are going to be thousands of people fiddling with the tint on their televisions."

I imagine a pink/orange sky might have had the same effect.

Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: August 29, 2012, 09:25:28 PM »

And yet every Mars movie that I can think of has gotten it right, from Robinson Crusoe On Mars through Total Recall. The blue sky in John Carter kept reminding me that it was shot in Utah (or New Mexico or wherever). It was a weird oversight (or decision) given their mega budget.

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 30, 2012, 06:33:45 AM »

Even more stupid is the fact that its painted that blue color.

A new one
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: August 30, 2012, 11:26:48 AM »

Oh yeah, I thought I read that they originally had the reddish sky, but then painted it blue since they thought it would confuse audiences.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 30, 2012, 01:13:41 PM »

Well... this isn't the same Mars as those other films mentioned. This is one ERB imagined with working ancient atmosphere generating plants so there is a breathable atmosphere. However, it has been literal decades since I've read the books so don't recall how it was described there. I imagine it wasn't a nice lovely blue, however.  icon_wink

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: August 30, 2012, 07:01:22 PM »

He doesn't say, at least not in the chapter titled "My advent on Mars":

I opened my eyes upon a strange and weird landscape. I knew that I was on Mars; not once did I question either my sanity or my wakefulness. I was not asleep, no need for pinching here; my inner consciousness told me as plainly that I was upon Mars as your conscious mind tells you that you are upon Earth. You do not question the fact; neither did I.

I found myself lying prone upon a bed of yellowish, mosslike vegetation which stretched around me in all directions for interminable miles. I seemed to be lying in a deep, circular basin, along the outer verge of which I could distinguish the irregularities of low hills.

It was midday, the sun was shining full upon me and the heat of it was rather intense upon my naked body, yet no greater than would have been true under similar conditions on an Arizona desert. Here and there were slight outcroppings of quartz-bearing rock which glistened in the sunlight; and a little to my left, perhaps a hundred yards, appeared a low, walled enclosure about four feet in height. No water, and no other vegetation than the moss was in evidence, and as I was somewhat thirsty I determined to do a little exploring.

By what description is given, I was assume the sky to be Earth-like in color.

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 30, 2012, 07:06:28 PM »

I always took the "red planet" to be an indication of the color of the soil in his books, not the atmosphere.

Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: August 30, 2012, 11:06:38 PM »

It's a small quibble. For me, the blue sky intruded on the illusion of being on ERB's Mars even though I was willing to give him the breathable atmosphere and surface water. I guess if I want a red sky I'll have to direct my own goddam John Carter movie.  finger

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: