http://gamingtrend.com
October 22, 2014, 05:12:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Penn State Saga] Sandusky Convicted - Sanctions Declared  (Read 5050 times)
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: July 13, 2012, 12:40:54 PM »

... I could get behind that. I agree - the risk of it may be the intent to add pressure.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 13, 2012, 03:00:45 PM »

The institution itself also failed, not just 4 men.  While I'm not calling for the death of college football at Penn State, I can understand the call for at least a year off while they examine why such a systemic failure occurred and put in subsequent oversights to make sure it doesn't happen again...or at least not as easily as it was before.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 13, 2012, 03:19:00 PM »

Quote from: Purge on July 13, 2012, 01:50:36 AM

It's a good message, but I don't think the staff and students of PSU need further punishment - considering they aren't the culprits.

These students?

My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Scuzz

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 13, 2012, 03:27:04 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on July 13, 2012, 11:12:02 AM

It's probably helping with the clean up efforts to have this threat of the death penalty hanging over them to make sure all those responsible get outed.

They are already gone and two are facing criminal prosecution. I think the NCAA will feel it has to do something and the football team will be the ones punished. In a sense while hurting "innocent" players it is the football teams of the past that benefited most from the "football first" attitude of Paterno and Penn State.

I kept hearing on the radio yesterday that a couple years ago the AD went to Paterno's house to fire him, and Paterno refused to let him in and ended up keeping his job. If that story is true is says who the boss was at Penn State.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: July 13, 2012, 03:30:33 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on July 13, 2012, 03:19:00 PM

It's a good message, but I don't think the staff and students of PSU need further punishment - considering they aren't the culprits.

These students?

I didn't see any sexual abuse in that video (for the culpability, of course, in this discussion). Or was that not an on-topic reference?

I suppose they should just shut down any schools in Montreal, or the NHL should close up Vancouvers' team.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 13, 2012, 03:51:36 PM »

At that time, the students also weren't aware of the Freeh report's findings.  There was still reason to believe JoePa wasn't really aware of what had transpired with Sandusky...or that he didn't fully understand it. 

We're not seeing these riots now that the Freeh report HAS been released.

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 13, 2012, 04:36:10 PM »

Quote from: Purge on July 13, 2012, 03:30:33 PM

Quote from: Gratch on July 13, 2012, 03:19:00 PM

These students?

I didn't see any sexual abuse in that video (for the culpability, of course, in this discussion). Or was that not an on-topic reference?

Nah, I was just being snide.  smile

Side note:  I found the PSU student body's behavior and reaction to the whole situation incredibly disgusting, so I can't really dredge up much sympathy if any more significant punishment comes down on the football program.

Scuzz

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 13, 2012, 05:47:04 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on July 13, 2012, 03:51:36 PM

At that time, the students also weren't aware of the Freeh report's findings.  There was still reason to believe JoePa wasn't really aware of what had transpired with Sandusky...or that he didn't fully understand it. 

It will be interesting to see how the students and alums react to the report.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 13, 2012, 07:22:21 PM »

Quote from: Scuzz on July 13, 2012, 05:47:04 PM

Quote from: hepcat on July 13, 2012, 03:51:36 PM

It will be interesting to see how the students and alums react to the report.

Not much different, sadly.

"I don't care what anyone says, it doesn't change the fact that he's a great man," said Briana Marshall, a junior from East Stroudsburg.

Some students and alumni felt that Freeh turned Paterno into a scapegoat, and that there was little direct evidence that he took part in a cover-up. Paterno died before he could meet with investigators.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 13, 2012, 07:32:34 PM »

There's always going to be fringe elements in every issue.  Let's wait and see if that sentiment gains momentum with more than a handful of people before we start assuming everyone from Penn State feels JoePa was innocent.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: July 13, 2012, 07:34:40 PM »

Gratch, I love your snide. biggrin Stick around, I don't want you making onto the milk carton post.

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 13, 2012, 07:36:28 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on July 13, 2012, 07:32:34 PM

There's always going to be fringe elements in every issue.  Let's wait and see if that sentiment gains momentum with more than a handful of people before we start assuming everyone from Penn State feels JoePa was innocent.

We're also talking about 18-22 year olds.  Not exactly bastions of rational thought.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 13, 2012, 09:17:45 PM »

Paterno's son was on ESPN yesterday stammering and stumbling through why his late father was still a god among men.  It was pretty cringe inducing to watch imo.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 22, 2012, 02:43:07 PM »

Good, they took down the statue in front of the stadium.  

EDIT:  Sanctions are coming tomorrow:

NCAA president Mark Emmert has decided to punish Penn State with severe penalties likely to include a significant loss of scholarships and loss of multiple bowls, a source close to the decision told ESPN's Joe Schad on Sunday morning.

But Penn State will not receive the so-called "death penalty" that would have suspended the program for at least one year, the source said.

The penalties, however, are considered to be so harsh that the death penalty may have been preferable, the source said.

The NCAA will announce "corrective and punitive measures" for Penn State on Monday morning, it said in a statement Sunday. Emmert will reveal the sanctions at 9 a.m. ET in Indianapolis at the organization's headquarters along with Ed Ray, the chairman of the NCAA's executive committee and Oregon State's president, the news release said.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 03:34:43 PM by leo8877 » Logged
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 22, 2012, 08:12:24 PM »

If the NCAA imposes sanctions I hope Penn State sues them to block. They have no business inserting themselves into this IMO. This whole business is for the criminal justice system and the civil courts with lawsuits to deal with. There were no sports rules violations commited here which is what the NCAA exists for. They were criminal acts by 5 men.
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: July 22, 2012, 08:30:16 PM »

Quote from: Jumangi on July 22, 2012, 08:12:24 PM

If the NCAA imposes sanctions I hope Penn State sues them to block. They have no business inserting themselves into this IMO. This whole business is for the criminal justice system and the civil courts with lawsuits to deal with. There were no sports rules violations commited here which is what the NCAA exists for. They were criminal acts by 5 men.

While I agree with you to a point, I doubt very much that any action will be taken as The NCAA will claim lack of institutional control as the reason and that covers non athletic and criminal issues.  Trying to sue to block would not be worth the bad press it would engender, especially considering the unlikelihood of getting the sanctions overturned.  They will probably take their lumps and be glad that the program didnt get shut down.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
theohall

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 22, 2012, 09:28:18 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on July 22, 2012, 02:43:07 PM

Bullshit!  Paterno reported to his superiors.  His superiors covered the shit up as proved in several emails.  So the answer is to punish the public figure???  WTF are they doing to the asshats who actually covered it up?  WTF are their names????  Does anyone know without looking it up on the internet?????

The asshats ABOVE Paterno are culpable and we are not hearing SQUAT about them, in spite of the fact Paterno reported it to them and THEY did nothing.  Why aren't THEY being lambasted in the media with their names posted everywhere????

BS - on bashing the one person who CANNOT respond due to being dead.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 22, 2012, 11:11:38 PM »

Paterno convinced his superiors to cover it up:

Paterno was a legendary figure, not only at Penn State but in sports itself, and his power and influence at Penn State was extraordinary. Its now clear that he was the one who stopped the university from reporting Sandusky to the police. The original plan was to inform the police, but the athletic director explicitly said in an email that after a discussion with Paterno, he had changed his mind.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

Quote from: McBa1n
http://www.vuvuzela.fm BVVVVVVVVVVVRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Nonnahob

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 22, 2012, 11:16:16 PM »

While I don't think this is Paternos fault entirely, from the information presented it does sound like he could have done more. Being a father, anything less than making sure that what was reported to him never happened again is not doing enough for me.

Paterno should not be a scapegoat. You're right in that his superiors need to be held accountable as well. They, having been informed of what happened, are no more or less responsible for this happening repeatedly.

I feel for the students and the athletes there who are suffering for crimes that they had no part in, but I believe without putting incredibly harsh sanctions on the school (im fine with a 5-10 year "death" penalty) the administration won't take this seriously enough.

X360 - Nonnahob

A few nights ago I played a while with Hardon and we had a good time. - PhillyPeteRock
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 23, 2012, 02:47:47 AM »

Quote from: theohall on July 22, 2012, 09:28:18 PM

Bullshit!  Paterno reported to his superiors.  His superiors covered the shit up as proved in several emails.  So the answer is to punish the public figure???  WTF are they doing to the asshats who actually covered it up?  WTF are their names????  Does anyone know without looking it up on the internet?????

The asshats ABOVE Paterno are culpable and we are not hearing SQUAT about them, in spite of the fact Paterno reported it to them and THEY did nothing.  Why aren't THEY being lambasted in the media with their names posted everywhere????

Holy fuck.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 23, 2012, 03:34:36 PM »

Wow.   icon_eek

The Freeh report clearly shows that Paterno interfered with the proper steps that should have been taken with Sandusky...and was aware of at least some of Sandusky's atrocities.  How anyone can claim he was almost blameless is incomprehensible at this point.  I suspect that hall simply has not read any of the damning reports that include actual evidence proving this.

As for the others, they don't have statues and buildings named after them.  If they did, I'm sure they'd be in storage or had their names changed by now as well.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 03:52:18 PM by hepcat » Logged

naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 23, 2012, 05:27:45 PM »

Its a shame that the current students/players ade being punished for something they were ne er involved in.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 23, 2012, 05:44:03 PM »

Quote from: gellar on July 23, 2012, 02:47:47 AM

Quote from: theohall on July 22, 2012, 09:28:18 PM

Holy fuck.

VRWC.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 23, 2012, 05:47:26 PM »

the sanctions:

The sanctions by the governing body of college sports, which capped eight months of turmoil on the central Pennsylvania campus, stopped short of delivering the ''death penalty'' of shutting down the sport. But the NCAA hit Penn State with $60 million in fines, ordered it out of the postseason for four years, and will cap scholarships at 20 below the normal limit for four years. The school also will be on probation for five years.

Any current or incoming football players are free to immediately transfer and compete at another school.

''Football will never again be placed ahead of educating, nurturing and protecting young people,'' NCAA President Mark Emmert said as he announced the penalties at a news conference in Indianapolis.

The sanctions all stem from the case of former defensive coordinator Jerry Sandusky, who was convicted last month of sexually abusing 10 boys over 15 years. An investigation commissioned by the school and released July 12 found that Paterno, who died in January, and several other top officials at Penn State stayed quiet about accusations against Sandusky in 1998 and 2001.

The NCAA ruling holds the entire school community accountable for failing to protect children.

''Against this backdrop, Penn State accepts the penalties and corrective actions announced today by the NCAA,'' Penn State President Rodney Erickson said in a statement. ''With today's announcement and the action it requires of us, the University takes a significant step forward.''

The Big Ten announced that Penn State would not be allowed to share in the conference's bowl revenue during the NCAA's postseason ban, an estimated loss of about $13 million. And the NCAA reserved the right to add additional penalties.

and there is more, the vacating of wins since 1998 will take Paterno out of the record books for some things:

By vacating 112 Penn State victories from 1998-2011, the sanctions cost Paterno 111 wins. Former Florida State coach Bobby Bowden will now hold the top spot in the NCAA record book with 377 major-college (FBS) wins. Former Grambling State coach Eddie Robinson holds the record for Division I-AA (FCS) wins with 408, while Saint John's John Gagliardi has the most wins of any coach in college football history with 484. Paterno, who was fired days after Sandusky was charged, will be credited with 298 wins.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 05:51:08 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 23, 2012, 05:50:02 PM »

The backlash begins:

Meanwhile, a group called Penn Staters for Responsible Stewardship, issued a statement Monday that, in part, blamed the Board for the NCAA's severe punishment.

"To rely upon such a report to issue punishment is beyond reckless, and should not be supported in any way by the leadership of Penn State," said the group. "By agreeing to these sanctions, every single member of the Penn State Board of Trustees has blatantly failed in their fiduciary responsibilities to the University. With each passing hour, we are gaining additional alumni support in our demand to have them resign immediately."

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 23, 2012, 05:54:25 PM »

''Football will never again be placed ahead of educating, nurturing and protecting young people,'' NCAA President Mark Emmert said as he announced the penalties at a news conference in Indianapolis.

Hahahahahhahaha.  Hahahahahahahhaahahahaha.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 23, 2012, 05:58:28 PM »

I'm guessing they left the "until next month" out of the speech.  I think it was in the draft, though.

rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 23, 2012, 08:44:41 PM »

While I understand the reasoning regarding vacating the wins, I think it is wrong of the NCAA.  This is not an athletic incident, there was no in game cheating or bending of any rules pertaining to those wins.  I would be fine about it if they had "removed"  them from Paternos record but to punish so many hard working and hard playing student athletes, for something they had no responsibility for, by invalidating all of those games is wrong. 

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: July 23, 2012, 08:51:25 PM »

Invalidating wins is a bookkeeping thing.  No player in the NFL is all of a sudden going to have his contract reduced because the wins he got in college were suddenly vacated.  And Paterno's name will still come up anytime the flapping heads in sports media talk about winningest coaches in college football.

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 23, 2012, 09:23:20 PM »

The wins is the one thing I actually like in the sanctions.  Most everything else is bullshit.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: July 23, 2012, 09:35:30 PM »

Quote from: rshetts2 on July 23, 2012, 08:44:41 PM

While I understand the reasoning regarding vacating the wins, I think it is wrong of the NCAA.  This is not an athletic incident, there was no in game cheating or bending of any rules pertaining to those wins.  I would be fine about it if they had "removed"  them from Paternos record but to punish so many hard working and hard playing student athletes, for something they had no responsibility for, by invalidating all of those games is wrong. 

It was a game thing in the long run though.  He covered up the incident to keep a staff member on that affected game wins and losses.  Sandusky being there or not being there and the lack of a media frenzy when it first popped up helped them achieve wins they may have not had otherwise
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 24, 2012, 01:29:11 AM »

Glad the university is getting blasted.  Not sure about the wins thing tho...
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 24, 2012, 01:51:50 PM »

I'm perfectly OK with the ruling, and actually think it's somewhat lenient.  The only people I feel bad for are the lower to mid-level players (i.e. those not likely to get picked up elsewhere) who are getting caught up in all this.

Jiffy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 24, 2012, 11:13:33 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on July 24, 2012, 01:51:50 PM

I'm perfectly OK with the ruling, and actually think it's somewhat lenient.  The only people I feel bad for are the lower to mid-level players (i.e. those not likely to get picked up elsewhere) who are getting caught up in all this.

2nd and 3rd string players will now get bumped up into the now vacant spots. The team will be terrible, but those players will actually be given more of a chance to show off their skills. The lower to mid-level players of other schools might suffer though, in the case that a top-level player is brought in from Penn for their position.

I'm good with the ruling as well. I actually fully agree with the wiping of the wins - removes vestiges of a tainted legacy. It doesn't harm past players or anything, but it does at least officially wipe out people naming Paterno as one of the greatest ever, and seeing his name in the record books.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 27, 2012, 12:01:11 AM »

they almost had a 4 year ban on football:

Penn State faced a multiyear shutdown of its football program had it not agreed with the sanctions imposed by the NCAA earlier this week, university President Rodney Erickson told ESPN.

The football program at Penn State faced a four-year "death penalty," a complete cessation of football activities, Erickson said, according to the ESPN report, as well as fines well in excess of the $60 million levied.

The four-year death penalty option was confirmed by NCAA President Mark Emmert, who said in a separate interview with ESPN that what the network termed "a core group of NCAA school presidents" had agreed on the unprecedented sanctions.

Once Penn State learned of the NCAA intentions, school officials engaged in five days of secret discussions with the NCAA that resulted in the penalties announced Monday, ESPN reported. Those include the record $60 million fine, a four-year postseason ban, a four-year reduction in football scholarships and five years of probation. Penn State also was forced to vacate its football victories since 1998, including 111 by the late coach Joe Paterno.

Penn State's board of trustees was not involved in those negotiations, and some members had expressed anger at not being allowed a vote on whether to approve the agreement with the NCAA, according to ESPN. But in a statement Wednesday night, the board said based on the alternative, it would abide by the agreement.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 31, 2012, 09:42:19 PM »

Well at least one positive comes out of this.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/ncf/story/_/id/8219810/silas-redd-spurns-penn-state-nittany-lions-heading-usc-trojans

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 31, 2012, 09:56:08 PM »

Quote from: gellar on July 31, 2012, 09:42:19 PM

I'm surprised more people didn't go.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 31, 2012, 11:31:11 PM »

Quote from: gellar on July 31, 2012, 09:42:19 PM

Christ, like SC needed more running backs.

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 31, 2012, 11:41:27 PM »

That's actually the one thing we did need!

Had a 3,500 yard QB, two 1,000 yard receivers, but just ONE 1,000 yard rusher.  For shame.  Now we have two.  Phew.  Problem solved.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: