http://gamingtrend.com
December 20, 2014, 09:54:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Job Search  (Read 1347 times)
Zarkon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: November 08, 2005, 07:53:26 PM »

Well, after two years at Wal-Mart, I've decided that I'm not going to get promoted here.  I'm tired of retail, I'm tired of not making enough money for doing what I'm doing.  Right now I'm making 8.55 for basically supervising 2-4 people nightly and being in charge of between $1,500 and $10,000 in cash as well as the front end of a Wal-Mart supercenter.

Personally?  I'm sick of it.  So I'm looking for work, hopefully in the game industry (everyone's dream) or in tech, preferably somewhere near where I'm at now (central Texas).  

Anyway, wish me luck everyone.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2005, 08:05:38 PM »

Goood luck. Could I get some of the luck too while we are at it in this thread? smile
RightBastard

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2005, 08:44:49 PM »

Reserve some of that luck for me.  I'm getting out of grad school in a few months. :shock:

I am amendable to criticism but only within the sphere of what I am trying to do.
Flannery O'Connor
Qbe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2005, 08:46:44 PM »

And I could use a little of that luck too, since my company has cut my job and my last day is next Tuesday.

Good luck you guys!
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2005, 08:49:23 PM »

For the love of God where a suit to interviews!  I see tech people all the time who don't and it just looks bad.

Qbe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2005, 09:13:22 PM »

Quote from: "farley2k"
For the love of God where a suit to interviews!  I see tech people all the time who don't and it just looks bad.

So what do they wear?  The concept of not wearing a suit to interviews is foreign to me, but then, I do have a lot of experience wearing suits.

I'm taking an IT project management class this fall in which we have to give class presentations.  I was the first guy to wear a suit--the rest wore business casual type clothes, and it just didn't look as good as it should have.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2005, 09:33:45 PM »

Jesus, you can't be more right there farley.  SO many times I've seen people show up in shorts, sandals, and a collared shirt.  Yes, I know we are in Arizona, but wake up!  Look professional!

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2005, 09:40:37 PM »

I would say at least wear a tie.  It also depends on where you apply.  Some design houses I've applied at have actually gone out of their way to tell me they were glad that I felt comfortable enough NOT to wear a suit.  Go figure.

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2005, 09:47:31 PM »

I think some places might not care but it is about showing respect more than looking good.

Personally I want an employer to know that I respect them taking the time, and that I care enough about the job to look as good as possible.

So what do they wear? The concept of not wearing a suit to interviews is foreign to me, but then, I do have a lot of experience wearing suits.

Generally I see slacks and a dress shirt.  You can tell the pants aren't part of a suit, and they hardly ever where a tie.

JLu

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2005, 09:48:40 PM »

We've had folks come in for tech jobs wearing suits, others wearing not even a tie.

To me personally it's a big negative if they don't care enough to wear a suit for the interview.  Others here feel differently.  Our last candidate was strong enough that he was my choice as the one to hire too, so it all depends.

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2005, 09:48:57 PM »

Oh and wear an undershirt!  No one wants to see your arm pit hair!  Or worse - chest hair!

Orgull

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2005, 09:55:42 PM »

I have a great "compromise" getup that I wear for job interviews if I'm not 100% sure whether I should wear my suit or not.

Suit pants, dress shirt, tie (all freshly dry-cleaned and pressed) with a nice suede jacket. I always get positive comments about that ensemble when I wear it.

dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2005, 11:54:49 PM »

Waiting in line for a job interview.

Ye Olde Farte
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2005, 12:08:28 AM »

I always wear a suit to professional interviews.  The one I have isn't the best suit in the world, but just putting it on shows that I care enough about the interviewers time to spend some time of my own getting ready.  Throw in some knowledgeable questions about the company, and the respect meter usually goes off the chart.

But suits don't have to mean boring.  If it's a place where I'm going to be utilizing my creativity, I've got a nice selection of silly, colorful, and/or fun ties to choose from.

The suede jacket instead of a suit jacket thing can work well, too.  If only my "nice" leather jacket didn't have the Corvette logo on it...

Oh yeah!  The luck thing.  Zarkon, you've got it.  Qbe, you're in a nasty situation, so I'll wish you some too.  Rightbastard, ask again later.  There'll be plenty when you need it.  Calvin, how DARE you!

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2005, 12:35:00 AM »

Good luck, Zarkon.  When I was working at CG I knew you were the hardest worker on the staff.  I would definately want you on any team I was working on.  I know you deserve to be somewhere where that work ethic is appreciated and I hope you are happy with the job you eventually find.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2005, 02:06:01 AM »

I don't own a suit.  However, I do dress business casual at least to any interviews.  Slacks and nice shirt (button up, et al).  I agree with you, by the way, but sometimes there's not much choice in the matter.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2005, 02:16:49 AM »

I could use some luck too, been applying everywhere and a few interviews.  No jobs.
Qbe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2005, 04:22:02 AM »

Quote from: "CrayolaSmoker"
I always wear a suit to professional interviews.  The one I have isn't the best suit in the world, but just putting it on shows that I care enough about the interviewers time to spend some time of my own getting ready.  

So here's a question for you guys.  I always wear a suit to an interview.  I wore my suit yesterday when I was just dropping off an application, just in case.

I have an interview with EDS on Friday for a programmer/support type job.  The hiring manager (the guy I'll be meeting with) told the headhunter that I should dress business casual.  Do I listen to him?  My inclination is to wear the suit anyway.

Qbe, you're in a nasty situation, so I'll wish you some too.

Thanks, Crayola.  And Turtle, good luck to you too.  Sometimes it takes a while for the right thing to come along.
Hazer
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2005, 06:59:35 AM »

Last job I had a 'formal' interview for was an interesting process.

Didn't own a suit, but I showed up in a nice white shirt, slacks, polished combat boots (god that was hard work) and a tie. I looked professional and presentable.

The guy who started the interview (who became my boss) walked in to the room in blue jeans and a short sleeve collared shirt (not a polo shirt, a full button shirt). We talk for a bit and he says that I've passed the initial part so he's going to bring in a couple of techs to interview me for phase 2.

In walks one guy in ripped up blue jeans, grungy t-shirt, biker boots and a black leather jacket. The other one was in a t-shirt, SWEAT PANTS and sandles. These 2 would wind up being co-workers. After some technical questions (including a 'ringer' question about physical media for arcnet) they left and the first guy came back. The only question left was "When can you start?"

Turns out I was one of 6 people interviewing. They selected me and one other guy who arrived similarly attired. The rest showed up in polo shirts and slacks/bluejeans. None made it to the technical interview.

The first impression can make the difference.

Ragnarok Online taught me everything I needed to know about conflict resolution:  "There are no problems that can't be solved by proper application of Daggers to Faces."
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2005, 08:53:08 AM »

I just cannot understand why grown men do not own at least ONE suit.
Hazer
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2005, 09:07:08 AM »

Owned one in high school. My dad spent over $500 on it between buying it and having it altered to fit me properly. I actually liked the way it looked.

Wore it maybe half a dozen times and then 'outgrew' it.

And in general I hate 'formal' attire. I understand it. I know when it's proper to wear it. But I don't like wearing it in general because it's way more limiting than anything else I can wear. That and the fact that I'm still rebelling against "the suits". Hazard of being a tech geek I guess. slywink

Ragnarok Online taught me everything I needed to know about conflict resolution:  "There are no problems that can't be solved by proper application of Daggers to Faces."
unbreakable
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2005, 08:53:40 PM »

I have some suit 'secrets', which are relevant only to people living in Chicago.

I'm only willing to disclose one of them: go to the Carson's at 1 S State Str.  Their men's formalware basement is literally a suit Mecca, and there are often tons of great buys in their clearance section.  And even if you aren't trolling the clearance section, there is a sale every time I walk in the place (there probably isnt any causality between the two).
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: