http://gamingtrend.com
October 31, 2014, 09:36:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Job Promotion: What Would You Do?  (Read 428 times)
Dante Rising
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 27, 2013, 07:47:00 PM »

My company is offering me a job promotion, and I'm uncertain if I should take it. I'm curious what all of you would do;

Benefits:

+Better title on my resume (Supervisor to Manager)
+Increased prestige at the company
+$8,500 base pay increase
+$2,500-$3,500 annual bonus increase depending upon department performance
+$7,000 a year in restricted stock (which vests in 3 years. I'm assuming that you lose everything if you leave before the vesting period, but I have not checked yet)

Negatives:

-Move from 1st shift to overnight shift for a minimum of 1 year
-Move from a three day per week schedule (Sunday thru Tuesday mornings, 12 hours each, 36 hour work week) , to a 4 day week per schedule (Monday thru Thursday evenings, 10 hours each, 40 hour work week)

This would be my first time having "manager" on my resume, so I'm assuming that would make applying for other manager jobs elsewhere easier. I'm just slightly disappointed because internal candidates tend to get lowballed, but that seems to be par-for-the-course at most Fortune 100 companies. External candidates have an open field for negotiation, whereas internal candidates seem to be locked in at a 15% pay increase for each new elevation.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 07:50:50 PM by Dante Rising » Logged
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 08:35:54 PM »

Does the base pay factor in the extra 4 hours per week?

@20/hr that works out to 4K in just working more.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 08:36:55 PM »

speaking of work, did you ever hook up with that chick?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 08:41:07 PM »

Do you aspire to greater position within your organization or even outside of it? If so, I say take it.  I am a big fan of quality resume padding. Ultimately, do what makes you happy.  Being a Manager is a great deal of responsibility and taking it for the wrong reason might reflect in your performance

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 09:44:36 PM »

Quote from: Purge on November 27, 2013, 08:35:54 PM

It is strictly salaried. Basically, I would be working on extra 4 hours per week, and 52 extra 10 hour days per year, so:

52 (weeks) x4 (hours)=208 hrs.  52 days (1 extra day per week) x 10 hour shift= 520 hours, so 728 extra hours per year. (If you are an 8 hour workday person, that is equal to 91 extra days per year). If you look at it strictly on pay-per-hour, and factor in gas and drive time, I would be making less than I am now

In terms of moving up in the organization, I would have to say no. I LOVE the company, but a 15% increase per each higher tier would have compounding effects with each step up. For example, if I take this position I am making about $8,000-$10,000 less than a potential candidate off the street who can negotiate their salary. (Our salaries are based upon pay grades, and each grade has a fairly large range. Internal candidates are given the lower portion of the pay grade.)

If I moved to the next higher job title, and increased another 15%, I would be making $16,000-$22,000 less than an external candidate. Basically, I would need to take this title to leverage it at other companies where I could aggressively negotiate my salary.  But thus title would definitely prepare me for elsewhere. We have a very strong program for professional growth.

There is ONE other curve ball. I would be obviously taking the unwanted shift, as I would be the newest manager. However, management can move me to that shift anyway after one year on my current shift as a supervisor. Our policy allows for management to move supervisors to any shift, and any department, after 1 year of service. So in 6 more months there is a possibility I would wind up there anyway, although I think the chances are rather slim.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 09:47:05 PM by Dante Rising » Logged
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2013, 09:44:56 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 27, 2013, 08:36:55 PM

Different job icon_biggrin
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2013, 10:01:57 PM »

I've mostly gone after promotions when they were available, but I've also turned some down because of the timing, role, boss, location, or something else I didn't feel good about.  I'd suggest sticking with your instincts.  I've seen too many good people leave companies I've been with because they moved into a position that wasn't right for them at that time.  If it feels right, go for it.  If you have enough reservations to make you pause and really think on it, maybe it's not the right move (at this time).

It's a good thing that you're being asked to consider the promotion.  That by itself is awesome.

Edited: I forgot to add that compensation issues for internal promotions (relative to outside hire starting salaries) is common in almost any organization that has good employee tenure.  It's frustrating, but definitely not uncommon.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 10:05:26 PM by Roguetad » Logged
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2013, 10:03:14 PM »

How old are you, and do you have any live-in family or significant other? The reason I ask is I think my answer would very much depend on how much an overnight shift would infringe on your life.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2013, 01:25:27 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on November 27, 2013, 10:03:14 PM

How old are you, and do you have any live-in family or significant other? The reason I ask is I think my answer would very much depend on how much an overnight shift would infringe on your life.

single. Late 30s
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2013, 01:28:46 AM »

Set yourself as a sex-trade  Worker..

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2013, 01:30:35 AM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on November 27, 2013, 09:44:56 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on November 27, 2013, 08:36:55 PM

Different job icon_biggrin
icon_lol

Because I can,
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2013, 02:05:16 AM »

If you don't take it, does that mean you're dead-ended? That is, are there better opportunities that might come along or is this the customary (only) career path?

Working more hours and crappier shifts is a huge drawback, but if it's the path forward in your company then you have to either take it or find another company, or be content with the job you have indefinitely.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2013, 03:54:12 AM »

Also, can you negotiate the raise at all?  I mean, point out the fact that when you factor in the extra hours that you're essentially making less money per hour for more responsibility and work.
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2013, 04:02:31 AM »

Quote from: Zarkon on November 28, 2013, 03:54:12 AM

Also, can you negotiate the raise at all?  I mean, point out the fact that when you factor in the extra hours that you're essentially making less money per hour for more responsibility and work.
With the bonuses and stock his pay is increasing by 18k a year minimum.  I dont know what his actual pay is but that pays out the extra 208 annual hours at a rate of over $86 an hour.  Hes single and has a chance to step up, increase his pay and have 3 day weekends?  Id take it in a heart beat.

ps: I worked a 4 day 10 hour schedule for about 4 years and loved it.  I would kill to be back on that kind of schedule right now.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2013, 04:49:39 AM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on November 27, 2013, 09:44:36 PM

52 (weeks) x4 (hours)=208 hrs.  52 days (1 extra day per week) x 10 hour shift= 520 hours, so 728 extra hours per year. (If you are an 8 hour workday person, that is equal to 91 extra days per year). If you look at it strictly on pay-per-hour, and factor in gas and drive time, I would be making less than I am now

Your math here is wrong - 728 extra hours per year would mean you're working 50 hours per week.  The 208 hours is the correct number in going from 36 (1872) to 40 (2080) - 2080 - 1872 = 208.  Remember, two of your hours go away on the first three days of every work week, where they're transferred to the extra day + 4 hours.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2013, 08:53:22 AM »

would you be happy as a manager?
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2013, 12:07:40 AM »

Quote from: Purge on November 27, 2013, 08:35:54 PM

208 x 20 = 4160, where I got the 4K from.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2013, 12:22:24 AM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on November 27, 2013, 09:44:36 PM

There is ONE other curve ball. I would be obviously taking the unwanted shift, as I would be the newest manager. However, management can move me to that shift anyway after one year on my current shift as a supervisor. Our policy allows for management to move supervisors to any shift, and any department, after 1 year of service. So in 6 more months there is a possibility I would wind up there anyway, although I think the chances are rather slim.

I guess it comes down to this:  do you want to risk getting moved to the shift without the increased pay and benefits?  How would you feel if that actually did happen?

Because I can,
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: