http://gamingtrend.com
December 17, 2014, 07:59:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jerry Rice Trade Rumors  (Read 2354 times)
ElijahPrice
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 18, 2004, 09:05:24 PM »

So, the dish is that Jerry Rice wants out of Oakland, which me for one totally undertsand.  He didn't evne have the ball thrown to him this week...  Reports have said that the teams mentioned in the trade are potentially Seattle and Detroit?  What do ya'll think?
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2004, 10:34:23 PM »

That's surprising as Jerry Jones (Dallas) seems to be in to collecting antique players.  I would've thought he would be all over it.
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2004, 10:54:22 PM »

Hmmm. Detroit.  The idea with that would be the Past teaching The Future?

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
Cota
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2004, 10:58:39 PM »

Seattle could sure use a reciever that can catch a football. Jerry can still catch, can't he?

-Cota
Grinfin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2004, 11:46:40 PM »

I saw him make a really nice grab a couple weeks ago.

I guess it's his legs that are the problem, but his cane really comes in handy in fending off the corners.
malichai11
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2004, 12:27:17 AM »

According to NFL Primetime, Jerry is going to Seattle for a conditional draft pick.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2004, 02:02:11 AM »

Would have looked good in Foxboro.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2004, 03:19:01 AM »

he should go back to the 49ers (since we're still paying him) and retire as a niner
ArmyOfOne
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2004, 03:19:02 PM »

From what I'm hearing he's going to Seattle for a 7th round draft pick.  Ouch!
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2004, 03:39:25 PM »

But he won't be able to wear #80. I think that number has been retired by Seattle. Poor Jerry.
ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2004, 03:59:36 PM »

Boom Bam... looks like the Seahwaks win out http://www.nfl.com/news/story/7807508.

I heard a rumor today that Koren Robinson might miss a few weeks because he can't keep his hands of crack....j/k  Some Drug-abus policy thing, not sure what. Anyone know anything?
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2004, 05:03:02 PM »

Quote from: "ElijahPrice"
Boom Bam... looks like the Seahwaks win out http://www.nfl.com/news/story/7807508.

I heard a rumor today that Koren Robinson might miss a few weeks because he can't keep his hands of crack....j/k  Some Drug-abus policy thing, not sure what. Anyone know anything?

He failed his 3rd drug test. Thus, he gets a mandatory 4 game suspension. Maybe the drugs were the reason for all his dropped passes.  :wink:
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2004, 06:26:33 PM »

Apparently he doesn't drop the crack pipe.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2004, 06:45:24 PM »

As a Raiders fan, I'm not terribly sad to see him go.  Wide Receiver is the one position that the Raiders actually have some talent at, and I think they'd be better off developing their existing players rather than trying to fit Rice into the mix with their speedster receivers.  Hasslebeck delivering the ball instead of Collins will be better for him in the long run anyways.

As a side note, that temper tantrum Rice threw during the Buffalo game and his subsequent whining has lowered my opinion of him quite a bit.  Hell, they were trying to win that game by running out the clock, and Rice was still pissed off they didn't throw it to him (and risk stopping the clock) in the final 2 minutes.  In retrospect it probably doesn't matter, seeing as how the Raiders season is in the toilet again, but at the time they were trying to win what could have been an important game.   Sure, his streak ended, but I always pictured him as enough of a "team" guy to realize that they didn't throw to him because they were trying to win.

He's still the greatest receiver to ever play the game, but I don't hold him in quite as high regard as I used to.

SpaceLord
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2004, 09:56:20 PM »

Quote from: "Gratch"

He's still the greatest receiver to ever play the game, but I don't hold him in quite as high regard as I used to.

Scratch "receiver" and put "player" in its place, and you're on track. slywink

There's no place like OO, there's no place like OO. frown
Ranulf
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2004, 11:04:25 PM »

This is good. I've always been a Rice fan and now I can root for him since I like the seahawks and the niners suck this year.
mdsmith
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2004, 12:34:40 AM »

I think it was a good move foe the Seahawks. It only costs them a conditional 7th pick. As stated in aother post he can still pick'em and his familiarity with the offense means no breaking in time learning a new offense. He won't be the man anymore but as long as his ego doesn't get in the way, he can still be a valuable possession type receiver. I also heard on KNBR that Largent ok'd Rice having #80.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2004, 12:49:02 AM »

Largent gave the Seahawks to let Rice have his  #.

Rice has always been vocal when things are not going his way.  I can totally understand why, his streak was in jeoporady.  At least the 49ers always gave him a chance to keep his streak alive.  Of course the worst franchise in the world can't even respect that.
SpaceLord
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2004, 01:41:12 AM »

As I mentioned in a thread on GG right before it died, Rice's streak was mind-boggling. The difference between Rice's consescutive games with a catch and 2nd place(Art Monk) was over 150 games. That's damn near 10 years worth of games. I would wager less that 5% of receivers even have pro careers that last that long.  :shock: The last time Rice didn't catch a ball before this year, Reagan was president. If there ever was a "unbeatable" record, this is it. The streak includes 4 Super Bowls.

There's no place like OO, there's no place like OO. frown
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2004, 11:25:53 AM »

Quote from: "naednek"
Largent gave the Seahawks to let Rice have his  #.

Rice has always been vocal when things are not going his way.  I can totally understand why, his streak was in jeoporady.  At least the 49ers always gave him a chance to keep his streak alive.  Of course the worst franchise in the world can't even respect that.

Don't know if you watched the Buffalo game, but they did throw 5 or 6 passes to Rice.  Unfortunately, he was defended well the whole game and never really came open.  The guy is 42 years old.  He can't blow guys off the line of scrimmage anymore, and he sure as hell isn't going to beat anybody deep.  Add in the fact that they were trying to win the game by running out the clock towards the end.  Are they supposed to risk throwing a pass and stopping the clock simply to keep Rice's streak alive?  I always thought football was a team game, and a team win is more important than an individual streak.  Hell, Jerry himself should tell you that, but judging by his actions, he apparently doesn't think so.

BTW,  the "worst franchise in the world" kept the streak alive for 3+ seasons.  I think it has to do more with the fact that Rice simply can't get open like he used to, than the fact that the Raiders are somehow "disrespecting" his streak.

ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2004, 01:25:59 PM »

Gratch - I agree, I don't think letting him go will hurt th Raiders.  They have Curry and Porter to develop... particularly Porter could be a really good receiver.  But on the flip side, I think  the Seahawks will benefit from having the best receiver in the game teach those two young receivers (Robinson and Jackson) how to actually become full fledge receivers...

I didn't know that Rice was such a baby sometimes.  Well, regardless he is the best reciever, and he isn't a baby like TO, nuff said.

On the trade block as well is QUINCY MORGAN for ANTONIO BRYANT.  A little less sensational but it caught my eye.  Any thoughts or does no one even care.. smile
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2004, 03:37:00 PM »

Quote from: "ElijahPrice"
I didn't know that Rice was such a baby sometimes.  Well, regardless he is the best reciever, and he isn't a baby like TO, nuff said.

Rice's rookie year he showed up to training camp with the Play haircut from Kid N' Play.  Kind of a flatop.

The vets on the team thought it was pretty funny, and gave him a nickname.

Fifi.  Because he looked like a poodle (and supposedly acted like one too....).
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: