http://gamingtrend.com
November 26, 2014, 09:42:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jane Fonda's face is used as a spittoon  (Read 4151 times)
Nth Power
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: April 21, 2005, 11:33:49 AM »

I wonder if there's any video footage of the spit hitting her face.

Link to the story

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2005, 12:34:12 PM »

Outstanding!  I am not a 'Nam era soldier but I imagine that those who are would probably have similar resentments as this guy.  Has she ever apologized or said anything about that stuff?

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2005, 03:47:29 PM »

Good...Im surprised worse never happened to her. hehehe 'A large amount..musta been saving that while in line hehehe

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2005, 04:17:35 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
Outstanding!  I am not a 'Nam era soldier but I imagine that those who are would probably have similar resentments as this guy.  Has she ever apologized or said anything about that stuff?

Yup.  She's apologized many times (especially on this latest book tour) for posing in the AA gun, etc, but clearly that hasn't smoothed things over with the vets too much. smile

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
Raven
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2005, 04:31:26 PM »

Did she apologize for the radio programs?

The word is treason, and the only reason she didn't land in prison is because her last name is Fonda.
Blonco
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2005, 07:56:59 PM »

If this guy needs help with lawyer fees, I'm sure that many vets...including myself...would be willing to throw some cash his way.  He did what so many others want to do!

You're going to hell with gasoline pants on!
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2005, 08:14:45 PM »

Ye Olde Farte
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2005, 08:22:12 PM »

I hope it was a nice, chewy snot that could put an eye out!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2005, 08:32:24 PM »

hope it was good old Beechnut Chew

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Interloper

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2005, 10:17:20 PM »

Man I'd love to see a video of that.  Good for him.

mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2005, 12:52:40 AM »

yeah, the nightly news reported it as tobacco juice... darn shame... I hear the stuff really stings if you get it in the eye.

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2005, 08:43:01 AM »

Damnit!!!!!

This only happened 1.1 miles away from where I work now (according to Google Maps).

As a U.S. Vet myself and the son of a Vietnam veteran - I would have loved to see this happen too.

But I also hold to the strong belief that her apologies have not been sincere and heartfelt but rather just another example of some P.R. person trying to spin things to keep her from falling into just another has-been.
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2005, 01:42:56 PM »

You do realize all that is happening is that Vet managed to push Jane's name back into the media again and it will only help her sell more books? There were several generations of people who had no idea who the hell Jane Fonda is and didn't even care. Now these people's curiosity has been peaked.

The best thing would of been to give her no attention and right her off as dead. If the vet managed to spit on her privately, ok, fine, but doing this at a book signing when the media was focused on her? ugh...

Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2005, 06:43:14 PM »

Quote from: "Rob_Merritt"
You do realize all that is happening is that Vet managed to push Jane's name back into the media again and it will only help her sell more books? There were several generations of people who had no idea who the hell Jane Fonda is and didn't even care. Now these people's curiosity has been peaked.

The best thing would of been to give her no attention and right her off as dead. If the vet managed to spit on her privately, ok, fine, but doing this at a book signing when the media was focused on her? ugh...

she was already in the media.  unrightfully.  she is a traitor.  this guy spitting on her brings back attention to the fact she is a slimey good for nothing piece of shit traitor.

Bravo.

Wake up.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2005, 10:31:35 PM »

Quote from: "Rob Merritt"

Jane Fonda is already all over the media with the release of her new book.  I've probably read thee or four articles in the last two weeks alone about it and every single one of them mentions the Hanoi incident.
unbreakable
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2005, 09:11:59 PM »

It's sad that this guy supposedly went there to 'defend' our freedoms, like, say, freedom of speech, but then gets up in arms when somebody decides to exercise it in a manner he isnt happy with.  He should just drop the hypocracy and admit he doesnt give a shit about our freedoms.  Lots of our vets still agree with the whole 'freedom of speech' thing we have going on over here.

But I also hold to the strong belief that her apologies have not been sincere and heartfelt but rather just another example of some P.R. person trying to spin things to keep her from falling into just another has-been.

What are you looking for her to do, cut off her hand or something?  Geez, give it a rest already.  You guys forgave a young George Washington Bush for his cowardice in dodging the draft, and his drug abuse and alchoholism, so why cant you forgive Barbarella for holding stupid political views in her youth?  IMO, her's was the lesser wrong anyway.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2005, 03:20:38 AM »

Quote from: "unbreakable"

What are you looking for her to do, cut off her hand or something?  Geez, give it a rest already.  You guys forgave a young George Washington Bush for his cowardice in dodging the draft, and his drug abuse and alchoholism, so why cant you forgive Barbarella for holding stupid political views in her youth?  IMO, her's was the lesser wrong anyway.

You don't know much about Hanoi Jane, do you?
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2005, 03:55:32 AM »

Who said anything about Bush?  Draft dodging?  How do you dodge the draft by joining the military?  

I'm sorry, but there isn't anyone on either side of the political fence who thinks that what Jane Fonda did back then wasn't worthy of the brand of traitor.  Her trying to play it off like it was nothing to the press these days frankly disgusts me, and I'm sure it opens up a lot of old animosities with the people who actually had to watch that happen, especially vets.  You don't just do what she did and expect to live it down.  ever.

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
unbreakable
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2005, 04:27:44 AM »

So she has repeatedly apologized, but that isnt good enough.

Is that basically what you guys are saying?
Crowley
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2005, 04:38:27 AM »

So she has repeatedly apologized, but that isnt good enough.

Is that basically what you guys are saying?

Theres no basically about it. When someone goes out and does the things that she did to tortured POWs, it goes a little beyond what a "whoops my bad" can fix.

There are two things in the world I can't stand: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.
unbreakable
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2005, 05:08:38 AM »

I guess I would need to hear factual info at this point, rather than rumors.

At any rate, not forgiving someone after an apology has been given isnt a very Christian position to take, especially given the long list of saints who started their careers by killing Christians.
Crowley
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2005, 05:11:31 AM »

It does help to be informed.

There are two things in the world I can't stand: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.
th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2005, 01:26:27 AM »

At any rate, not forgiving someone after an apology has been given isnt a very Christian position to take, especially given the long list of saints who started their careers by killing Christians.

I'm sorry, but WTF do Christians have to do with it?!?!  Any other bullshit comparisons you plan on ponying up?

Mike Dunn
unbreakable
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2005, 06:03:49 AM »

Quote from: "th'FOOL"

I'm sorry, but WTF do Christians have to do with it?!?!  Any other bullshit comparisons you plan on ponying up?

Maybe I should compare you to an intelligent and polite person.  Talk about a bullshit comparison.

I would expect your brand of discussion over at GG or OO, but over here Im kind of surprised by it.  If you cant discuss something without flaming somebody, maybe you should just not discuss it.
WestNile
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2005, 06:18:46 AM »

Sorry unbreakable, but you aren't going to get much sympathy when you scream the cliched free speach line concerning a traitor.  And this woman is one.

You can call me a xtian right-winger or whatever you'd like, but I am an atheist member of the Green Party.  Is see no free speach squelched.  Instead, I see one of the worst pieces of the vietnam puzzle getting not even a pinch of what others got from her..
unbreakable
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2005, 06:26:11 AM »

Im not looking for sympathy; I didnt do anything wrong.  If someone wants to disagree with me, they can do it without acting like an asshole.  Which has been the case, barring one person, and I felt inclined to point out how out-of-place it was.
WestNile
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2005, 06:32:38 AM »

You made the mistake of labeling everyone you disagreed with as christian, first off.  That is too "cross-fire"ish for me.  Your inquiry came across as loaded because of that.

Then you bring up Bush as if everyone here is a supporter.  It all adds up to you looking disingenuous.
th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2005, 06:33:39 AM »

Unbreakable, when you can keep the straw men out of your arguments, stop making blanket assumptions regarding any of our political or religious leanings, and actually educate yourself as to what the hell you are talking about, we might actually have an intelligent and polite discussion.

Seriously, what the hell do George W Bush and Christian saints have to do with Jane Fonda?  Going back and re-reading your posts is almost comical.

Mike Dunn
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2005, 01:16:40 PM »

*sniff*

Smells like ideologue in here.... :?
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2005, 03:29:14 PM »

Here is OO's discussion of the topic, with Tareeq, Fed, and Guido (all lawyers) debating the treason aspect.

I think the treason comes from "giving comfort to the enemy" or something like that.  Essentially, she showed up in North Vietnam and was all "YEAH NORTH VIETNAMESE".  She even denied that American POW's were being tortured or something like that.

This was before I was born, so I don't have the burning hatred other people do.  What really grates my cheese about this is the atrociously mealy-mouthed apology she gave.  

IMO, what she did was very very very very bad.  But treasonous bad?  Honestly, I think Geraldo's "writing out Army positions in the sand" is more treasonous than what Fonda did.  Fonda did some incredibly hurtful and dumb shit... but Geraldo put the troops directly in danger.

Just Hiro will do.
unbreakable
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2005, 05:00:35 PM »

My point, since you seem to have trouble figuring it out, was that there is a whole lot of 'selective forgiveness' going around.

After reading the actual facts (if we choose to accept sopes, which I have never found a reason not to), she made two mistakes in judgement.  One, she went to Vietnam and voiced disent of what was going on over there.  Which, last I checked, was perfectly within her rights as an American citizen.

Second, and in my regards, the most serious of the two, was her indifference to the treatment of the Vietnam vets, both during and (especially) after the war.  It is one thing to say "I didnt see anything like that over there, so I cant comment on it", and quite another to stubbornly say that because you didnt see it, it must not be true.

As far as the rest of the stuff, with her supposedly turning in people for passing her notes, etc, it has been debunked and never occurred.

--

As for any supposed straw man, perhaps you should look up what that term actually means before you accuse someone of using it.  You should go back and read your posts to see how asinine they sound.

So, her main 'sin' was callous indifference to US soldiers getting tortured and killed.  However, she was drawing attention to what we were doing wrong, so unless you can say such abuses never happened, she was at least half right.  Saying "they did it too" is not a defense, FYI for all those under ten years old.

It is actually a shame nobody is serving the same function now, pointing out the abuses (on both sides) going on over in Iraq and Afghanistan.  We are getting a very whitewashed version of the 'news' over here, and IMO it is doing a grave disservice not just to the country, but to the servicemen who are living and dying over there.  

The biggest tragedy there, IMO, is how much danger they are all in, while over here everybody thinks Baghdad, Iraq in general, and Afghanistan are as cozy and safe as the suburb Vanilla Ice grew up in.  So when we have people shipping home with PTSD, everyone is going to thing "Iraq?  WTF went on over there that was so bad?  The Mission was Accomplished a long time ago."

IMO, the sins of Jane Fonda are no worse than those of Donald Rumsfeld, Condoleeza Rice, etc, who are demonstrating just as bad of a disregard to the nature of combat over there, but even worse is that they are in a position to do something about it.  But they wont, because it's already "Mission Accomplished".  Too bad, no body armor for GI Joe, cuz Haliburton's investors need bigger houses and new sports cars.

But it's so much easier to spit tobbacco at a woman.
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2005, 05:30:17 PM »

As for any supposed straw man, perhaps you should look up what that term actually means before you accuse someone of using it. You should go back and read your posts to see how asinine they sound.

...no worse than those of Donald Rumsfeld, Condoleeza Rice...

Too bad, no body armor for GI Joe, cuz Haliburton's investors need bigger houses and new sports cars.

...and my favorite....

We are getting a very whitewashed version of the 'news' over here..

Media Whitewashing? All that good news we hear for our media? :lol:
unbreakable
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2005, 06:05:26 PM »

Strawman: 2: a weak or sham argument set up to be easily refuted

It isnt a weak or sham argument, it is a parallel example (and a pretty fair one, in my opinion).  The fact that the reasoning behind the opposing point of view is weak isnt my fault.  But, in typical zealot fashion, continue attacking the questioner rather than the question.
th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2005, 06:06:36 PM »

My point, since you seem to have trouble figuring it out, was that there is a whole lot of 'selective forgiveness' going around.

My point, since you seem to have trouble figuring out, is that nobody here mentioned anything about forgiving GWB or Christian saints of anything, selectively or otherwise

After reading the actual facts (if we choose to accept sopes, which I have never found a reason not to), she made two mistakes in judgement.  One, she went to Vietnam and voiced disent of what was going on over there.  Which, last I checked, was perfectly within her rights as an American citizen.

Clarification- she went to North Vietnam and voiced dissent.  Had she made her political statement at home, or in any other country other than the one that we were at war with, I would think nothing of it.  No, she got her yuks at the expense of our troops and gave our enemy a fine little piece of propaganda.

As for any supposed straw man, perhaps you should look up what that term actually means before you accuse someone of using it.  You should go back and read your posts to see how asinine they sound.

And yet you offer up not just one, but two more fallacious arguments further into this post.

It is actually a shame nobody is serving the same function now, pointing out the abuses (on both sides) going on over in Iraq and Afghanistan.  We are getting a very whitewashed version of the 'news' over here, and IMO it is doing a grave disservice not just to the country, but to the servicemen who are living and dying over there.

Funny, I get a lot of my information from sources other than the mass media, and most of them claim it isn't nearly as bad as the news makes it out to be.  That's not to say bad shit isn't happening, but it's not nearly as widespread or catastrophic as the news might portray it to be.  And frankly, if you are suggesting that more celebrities should come forth and help create propoganda for those killing our troops in Iraq, you need to lay off the fucking pipe.

The biggest tragedy there, IMO, is how much danger they are all in, while over here everybody thinks Baghdad, Iraq in general, and Afghanistan are as cozy and safe as the suburb Vanilla Ice grew up in.  So when we have people shipping home with PTSD, everyone is going to thing "Iraq?  WTF went on over there that was so bad?  The Mission was Accomplished a long time ago."

obviously, you've been there, so I'm eagerly awaiting your first-hand account of what it is really like.

IMO, the sins of Jane Fonda are no worse than those of Donald Rumsfeld, Condoleeza Rice, etc, who are demonstrating just as bad of a disregard to the nature of combat over there, but even worse is that they are in a position to do something about it.  But they wont, because it's already "Mission Accomplished".  Too bad, no body armor for GI Joe, cuz Haliburton's investors need bigger houses and new sports cars.

Why, oh why do you feel the need to compare Jane Fonda to people or entities who are involved in events totally unrelated to the conversation at hand?

Mike Dunn
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2005, 06:08:11 PM »

But, in typical zealot fashion, continue attacking the questioner rather than the question.

Oh sweet irony......
th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2005, 06:10:42 PM »

It isnt a weak or sham argument, it is a parallel example (and a pretty fair one, in my opinion).  The fact that the reasoning behind the opposing point of view is weak isnt my fault.  But, in typical zealot fashion, continue attacking the questioner rather than the question.

Saying that the forgiveness of GWB's 'draft-dodging' is a parallel example to forgiveness of Jane Fonda's treasonous acts is like saying an apple is a parallel example of a clown's nose because they are both red.

That is, the resemblance is so superficial as to not have any relevance at all.

Mike Dunn
unbreakable
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2005, 06:19:33 PM »

My point, since you seem to have trouble figuring out, is that nobody here mentioned anything about forgiving GWB or Christian saints of anything, selectively or otherwise

Really?  I thought I did.

Clarification- she went to North Vietnam and voiced dissent.  Had she made her political statement at home, or in any other country other than the one that we were at war with, I would think nothing of it.  No, she got her yuks at the expense of our troops and gave our enemy a fine little piece of propaganda.

Ah, I see.  She should have kept her opinions to herself, at home, while barefoot and pregnant.  

And besides, the fact that the enemy used her picture as propaganda wasnt exactly under her control, was it?  OMG, the enemy is attacking our moral position!  Those bastards!  How dare they!

I never realized people's opinions should be based geographically before.  I see a strawman, but it isnt in one of my posts.

And frankly, if you are suggesting that more celebrities should come forth and help create propoganda for those killing our troops in Iraq, you need to lay off the fucking pipe.

Ah, implying drug use.  Thats a pretty intellectual statement on your part.  And it's amazing how you create this analogy between people informing themselves and treason.  If there isnt anything wrong being done, an honest person would welcome the scrutiny.  I wonder what they are trying to hide?

obviously, you've been there, so I'm eagerly awaiting your first-hand account of what it is really like.

One could easily say the same to you.

Why, oh why do you feel the need to compare Jane Fonda to people or entities who are involved in events totally unrelated to the conversation at hand?  [/b]

Because they are displaying the exact same callous behavior you find at fault with Fonda.  I dont see how comparing Vietnam to Iraq is 'totally unrelated'.
Crowley
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2005, 06:21:45 PM »

Guys,

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/

Seriously

unbreakable
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2005, 06:22:47 PM »

Quote from: "Crowley"

Are you kidding me?  You know how nasty they get over there?
th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2005, 07:41:40 PM »

Quote from: "Unbreakable"

Really?  I thought I did.

Clarification: Nobody else.

Ah, I see.  She should have kept her opinions to herself, at home, while barefoot and pregnant.

This is what I said: "Had she made her political statement at home, or in any other country other than the one that we were at war with, I would think nothing of it."  I fail to see how that can be interpeted to the extreme that you suggest.  I never implied that she should not be allowed to speak out against the war, that she not wear shoes, or that she was required to have a bun in the oven.

And besides, the fact that the enemy used her picture as propaganda wasnt exactly under her control, was it?  OMG, the enemy is attacking our moral position!  Those bastards!  How dare they!

The fact that she enabled herself to be used as a propaganda tool has been admitted even by her.  And said propaganda was not meant for us, but for the soldiers fighting against us.

I never realized people's opinions should be based geographically before.

No, but where you are making a political statement can certainly lend weight to that statement.  By posing with North Vietnamese soldiers with military hardware that was likely used against US soldiers, she effectively said to the world that she was on their side, not that she was merely protesting what our country was doing.  Whether that's what she meant to do or not is irrelevant, it doesn't take rocket science to figure out that doing that doesn't help the cause she purportedly believed in.

Ah, implying drug use.  Thats a pretty intellectual statement on your part.

It's called a figure of speech.  Since you can't get past that, let me translate and further elaborate: If you think it's a good idea for celebrities to go party it up with our enemies and give them (inadvertently or not) some juicy footage of them posing with soldiers that had in all likelyhood killed at least one of their countrymen within a week, then you are delusional.

And it's amazing how you create this analogy between people informing themselves and treason.  If there isnt anything wrong being done, an honest person would welcome the scrutiny.  I wonder what they are trying to hide?

I created no such analogy.  One can inform oneself without being treasonous

One could easily say the same to you.

So I'm guessing you see how ridiculous your assumptions of what is and isn't going on over there are?  I at least have friends that have/ are serving over there or are in the military intelligence community, so I am getting some first-hand information.

Because they are displaying the exact same callous behavior you find at fault with Fonda.  I dont see how comparing Vietnam to Iraq is 'totally unrelated'.

See my above statement about the apple and the clown's nose.

Mike Dunn
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: