http://gamingtrend.com
April 19, 2014, 08:27:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jack Thompson on CNN video  (Read 3368 times)
Dreamshadow
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: October 19, 2005, 04:55:18 PM »

For those who may have missed it, here is a torrent of Jack Thompson on CNN last night, discussing Blitz: The League.

http://www.deadfrog.us/index.php?action=view&view=entry&entryid=2955

I'm downloading it now, and will be seeding once done.  Should be interesting to see how wrong he gets it.  

A warning...I cannot vouch that other content on this tracker site is work safe.  The page I have linked is safe and does not contain NSFW content..but other pages may.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2005, 05:03:14 PM »

I guess CNN didn't get the memo that Jack is a complete psycho-hack.
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2005, 05:09:24 PM »

He is outspoken...and to borrow a concept from Serenity, he is a believer.  No matter how crazy he is...he believes in his cause and is willing to stand up for it.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2005, 05:39:27 PM »

And from Penny Arcade about this:

Jack was on CNN tonight to talk about Midway’s new football game. Like I said in my news post above , this is why Jack is scary. Because he has no fucking clue what he’s talking about yet they put him on CNN to talk as though he was an expert. This is a quote from him:

"The NFL wouldn't allow it's name to be used, so that tells you something."

He doesn’t understand that EA purchased the rights to NFL games and that Midway’s new game is a direct response to that. Like I said before the time for ignoring this coot is over. He can’t be allowed to pull this kind of shit anymore.

That's why the NFL doesn't endorse Blitz, not because the game is violent or some crap that Jack made up.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2005, 05:47:44 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"
And from Penny Arcade about this:

Jack was on CNN tonight to talk about Midway’s new football game. Like I said in my news post above , this is why Jack is scary. Because he has no fucking clue what he’s talking about yet they put him on CNN to talk as though he was an expert. This is a quote from him:

"The NFL wouldn't allow it's name to be used, so that tells you something."

He doesn’t understand that EA purchased the rights to NFL games and that Midway’s new game is a direct response to that. Like I said before the time for ignoring this coot is over. He can’t be allowed to pull this kind of shit anymore.

That's why the NFL doesn't endorse Blitz, not because the game is violent or some crap that Jack made up.

Huh...that bit isn't in the file I just saw.  He only mentioned how Parents think that stores won't sell M rated games to minors, and how minors can walk in and buy any game they want.  That was the extent of his part in the show.   The articles was on how Blitz: The League was a game of violence, swearing, and sex (though they did not say Sex was in the game).  The reporter said that the NFL did not endorse the game, and it was placed to imply that the it was because of the violence etc.   There was no mention of the fact that EA held the rights to all NFL game properties.

ARGH!  I'm frustrated.  This is a case of journalism either twisting things around for shock value, or not enough research done.  *sigh*

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2005, 07:27:55 PM »

For CNN to have Jack Thompson on their programs at any time is a travesty of news journalism, an absolute farce, and an insult to long time viewers.

Even with an appropriate foil for this fucking douchebag, it would still be inappropriate. He does not deserve any recognition whatsover. There are people that support the basic argument he is shoving up everyone's ass with a hot poker and could bring it to public attention in a far, far better manner.
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2005, 08:27:11 PM »

Quote from: "Calvin"
There are people that support the basic argument he is shoving up everyone's ass with a hot poker and could bring it to public attention in a far, far better manner.

If we assume that his argument at it's most basic point is that some games don't belong in the hands of children, the vast majority of adult gamers actually agree with the fool.  It's not until you start discussing the enforcement aspect of the issue that they disagree.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2005, 09:54:50 PM »

Quote from: "Dreamshadow"
He is outspoken...and to borrow a concept from Serenity, he is a believer.  No matter how crazy he is...he believes in his cause and is willing to stand up for it.

So was Hitler (see Godwin's Law).

Apparently Jack Thompson is well into the "syphilis insanity" phase of his career.  Maybe he will end up killing himself in his bunker as waves of video game players storm his compound.  We can only hope...

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2005, 10:05:22 PM »

I don't understand how these guys can blantantly LIE on national TV and get away with it.  They do not experience any type of repercussions whatsoever.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2005, 10:09:59 PM »

So they hate games..They blame them for everything...yet I doubt they have or even could play one....I think they are jealous

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2005, 10:16:16 PM »

Leave it to the likes of CNN and Fox News to report crap like this as "news".
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2005, 11:28:59 PM »

Quote from: "Daehawk"
So they hate games..They blame them for everything...yet I doubt they have or even could play one....I think they are jealous

CNN BREAKING NEWS: Jack Thompson not l33+, sues God.

Tustin1
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2005, 02:54:05 AM »

I don't know if anyone is interested, but this is a related piece that I wrote when GTA: San Andreas got the AO rating and a morning show in Boston decided to tell half the story.

http://www.chunite.com/chunite_forum/viewtopic.php?t=884

My Current Sig.
Visit me at: Chunite
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2005, 04:40:14 PM »

And copied from CG's front page:

At this point, the nerds swung into action. Penny Arcade forum members wrote, edited and sent letters and faxes to the Florida Bar Association detailing Thompson's activities and urging the review of his license to practice law. Jack Thompson has already received a reprimand by the FBA for his antics in 1998, and according to a spokesperson, the letters and faxes have been received and forwarded to the disciplinary committee.

Go gamers around the globe! biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2005, 04:57:25 PM »

Who the hell is Jack Thompson???  I'm seeing this name everywhere.

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2005, 05:13:35 PM »

Holy shit - Jackass Thompson is threatening to SUE the Florida BAR association!

From the PA forums (scroll down just past half the page):

Now, let me be clear. Any Bar complaint coming from these morons arising out of the above incident is baseless and itself constitutes a violation of a specific federal civil rights statute.

If The Bar proceeds with any of these, it does so at its own peril. The Bar paid me once. I am certainly willing it pay me again, along with others.

What an utter fucktard.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2005, 05:17:23 PM »

Quote from: "Starshifter"
Who the hell is Jack Thompson???  I'm seeing this name everywhere.

Basically an insane dumbfuck who thinks he knows more about the video game industry than anybody else.

Visit Wikipedia for lots of info about his acts and lies.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2005, 07:38:30 PM »

Fucking idiot is right. That letter probably caused several members of the FBA to collapse from laughter. Wow.
Tustin1
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2005, 09:45:46 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"
And copied from CG's front page:

At this point, the nerds swung into action. Penny Arcade forum members wrote, edited and sent letters and faxes to the Florida Bar Association detailing Thompson's activities and urging the review of his license to practice law. Jack Thompson has already received a reprimand by the FBA for his antics in 1998, and according to a spokesperson, the letters and faxes have been received and forwarded to the disciplinary committee.

Go gamers around the globe! biggrin

Hopefully CNN is receiving a barrage of letters/faxes as well.

My Current Sig.
Visit me at: Chunite
unbreakable
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2005, 01:58:17 AM »

He gives lawyers a ba... oops.  Thats not possible.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2005, 02:00:53 AM »

Quote from: "unbreakable"
He gives lawyers a ba... oops.  Thats not possible.

Q: Can you get pregnant from anal sex?
A: Where do you think lawyers come from.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2005, 02:16:49 AM »

:roll:
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2005, 10:02:51 PM »

I just heard about a certain quote from Jack in this article..  I don't know how old it is, but I saw it mentioned on PA's forums.  If he really said this how the fuck isn't he being kicked off the planet?

Here's a hint on what I'm talking about:  do a 'find' for Quran.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
unbreakable
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2005, 04:14:18 AM »

Has anyone considered pointing Wacko Jacko out to the Arab Anti-defamation League (or whatever its called)?  I hear THEY are quite litigious, as well.
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2005, 12:59:59 AM »

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=12774

Jackie-boy is in trouble with the state of Alabama. Oh scales of justice, please smite him with extreme prejudice!
Hazer
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2005, 01:32:01 AM »

I think I'll stand with what Tim Buckley said....

Makes so much sense on so many levels.

Ragnarok Online taught me everything I needed to know about conflict resolution:  "There are no problems that can't be solved by proper application of Daggers to Faces."
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2005, 02:25:25 AM »

Actually, I think JT is more like Senator Mcarthy, albiet, with a topic that won't get people hung for no reason.

He doesn't really believe, he's just playing up the scares to further his career.  Unfortunately, now that he's built his entire career around this one thing, he has nowhere else to go.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2005, 03:42:06 AM »

On a kinda related note...today I bought FEAR in Wal-Mart and I used the self checkout thing. After i scanned the game and was ready to pay it made me wait while it got a real person to ok my purchase and confirm i was over 18 years old hehe.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2005, 04:17:35 AM »

Quote from: "Jimmy the Fish"
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=12774

Jackie-boy is in trouble with the state of Alabama. Oh scales of justice, please smite him with extreme prejudice!

This is very very fantastic. However, it is not clear whether he is barred in Alabama and is in trouble there or whether this action threatens his Florida license.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2005, 07:47:58 AM »

CeeKay - can you paste something in here re: the Quran comments? My laptop can't handle all this fancy Torrent stuff!  :?

Tustin - nice "blog" - I particularly liked this part:
This move is not helping parents keep the game out of their children's hands. The game packaging clearly stated (I own it if you were wondering) that it was rated 'M' 17+ and contains - Blood and Gore, Intense Violence, Strong Language, Strong Sexual Content (wonder what they meant by this) and Use of Drugs. If as a parent, after reading that, you though this game was suitable for your child - then the problem lies with you.

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
unbreakable
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2005, 09:02:05 PM »

Tack Jhompson has withdrawn from the case, for those who are still following it.

The issue of his disbarment is still up in the air; hopefully it will still proceed.
unbreakable
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2005, 09:07:39 PM »

Here is a different article, which also features an interview.

Now if Mr. Thompson hadn't already shown himself as a psycho, he has a valid point in this one.  A more rational lawyer who wasn't there solely to grab headlines could have just stated stores do not sell cigarettes to minors, so why are they allowed to sell M rated games to minors?  And, that would be a valid question.

It has also been reported that Thompson received at his home address, a tube of vaginal lubricant, which he feels was from Rockstar Games.

:roll:
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2005, 10:42:40 PM »

A more rational lawyer who wasn't there solely to grab headlines could have just stated stores do not sell cigarettes to minors, so why are they allowed to sell M rated games to minors?  And, that would be a valid question.

And your valid answer would be that the age restrictions on cigarettes are mandated by law, while age restrictions on game purchases don't exist.  Paying heed to to the MSRB ratings is entirely compulsory for retailers.  Your closest comparison is actually the movie industry's ratings system and how they enforce, or don't, the sale of tickets accordingly.

unbreakable
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2005, 11:23:01 PM »

My counter-argument would be that movie and game ratings are being submitted as an alternative, by the industy, to avoid being legislated.  So if such is the case, than retailers need to regard the alternative with the same enforcement shown to legislated goods.

Otherwise it isnt much of an alternative, and invalidates the industry's point that a legal alternative isn't necessary  smile
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2005, 12:59:44 AM »

Tack Jhompson has withdrawn from the case, for those who are still following it.

The issue of his disbarment is still up in the air; hopefully it will still proceed.

Disbarment is quite a bit more complicated than these articles have made the process seem or sound. I have no idea what is going on here, but its not quite that simple. Either way, jolly good show he is off that bullshit case.
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2005, 01:05:33 PM »

My counter-argument would be that movie and game ratings are being submitted as an alternative, by the industy, to avoid being legislated.  So if such is the case, than retailers need to regard the alternative with the same enforcement shown to legislated goods.

Otherwise it isnt much of an alternative, and invalidates the industry's point that a legal alternative isn't necessary  smile

The subsequent argument would be that cigarettes and alcohol are blanketly banned.  The ability to purchase cigarettes with certain nicotine levels doesn't "unlock" with age.  Nor are the different levels of cigarettes judged by an all-too-human and all-to-fallible jury that could easily stick them in a class of cigarette that cuts their legal sales base in half.  It's a very sticky wicket, this one.

unbreakable
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2005, 08:38:17 AM »

Hey, Im just sayin...
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2005, 02:08:45 PM »

Dammit unbreakable!  I read that thread and can't remember what the other phrase was.  You SUCK!  biggrin

Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2005, 03:02:49 PM »

Yeah, but still......

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: