http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 12:48:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jack Thompson, Contempt?  (Read 554 times)
GGMark
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 24, 2006, 08:24:41 AM »

So, I saw this on the front page this morning.  Nice.  I wondered how his last letter was NOT considered contempt.  While I didn't think the judge would really call him, with his response to the news that Take Two wants him called and referring to the court as living in baseless goo.  I think he may get the call forward.

Not sure how it would affect him, or his career.  I bet if you mentioned Jack Thomspon to like the average Joe on the street, or even to MOST gamers they would have NO idea who he is.  He's got a crusade, but only nut jobs, and people with some sort of initiative to learn for themselves know who he is.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2006, 02:23:46 PM »

When your a gamer with internet access, it's hard not to know who this wacko is. Living here in South Florida (where good old Jack is) his anti videogaming messages have even reached our local news stations.
When Bully was released my33 (a local news station) went to call Bully the "most violent video game ever created"  eek (Guess they missed the fact that the game has no blood or death in it?)
Jack Thompson came on for a couple seconds saying that it trains kids to become bullies in school and school violence will go up.

Funny thing is, there were bullies and violence in schools long before video games even existed.

I'm no law expert, but could it be the reason his nasty letter to the judge wasn't considered contempt because it was written on his own time (under free speech maybe?) and sent in? It'd be one thing if he said that before the judge in the court room (ie, contempt of court) but it was just a letter. I'm sure people write letters like that to Bush all the time.

I'd love to see this idiot lose his law license so he can do less damage to the video game industry (he's obviously on a personal crusade based off his pure hatred for video games) but honestly I don't see a whole lot coming from this. Did you read his smart ass comments in response to Take Two?
Ah well.. I'm not going to read too much into it because this guy's BS rhetoric just stresses me out.  icon_biggrin

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2006, 03:29:13 PM »

Quote from: corruptrelic on October 24, 2006, 02:23:46 PM

I'd love to see this idiot lose his law license so he can do less damage to the video game industry (he's obviously on a personal crusade based off his pure hatred for video games) but honestly I don't see a whole lot coming from this. Did you read his smart ass comments in response to Take Two?
Ah well.. I'm not going to read too much into it because this guy's BS rhetoric just stresses me out.  icon_biggrin

Actually, I'd love to see him keep doing exactly what he's doing.  He makes himself look like more of an idiot every single day, and keeps losing what little credibility he had to start with.  He's really the best anti-gaming crusader we as gamers could have hoped for.   Most people think he's nuts, anyone who does even the smallest amount of research can see right through his propaganda, and with the hundreds of developers and publishers, he only goes after one company (Rockstar).  I'd much rather have this nonsensical lunatic attacking the game industry (and constantly losing) than someone who is less crazy and knows how to hit where it might actually hurt.

Hell, Jack has basically become Rockstar's biggest promotional tool, and I'm sure his demented ranting and raving is helping to sell far more games than it's preventing. 
« Last Edit: October 24, 2006, 03:32:05 PM by Gratch » Logged

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2006, 04:18:20 PM »

I'm pretty sure Jackass has won a couple of lawsuits though.. did a brief search on google and just a bunch of "anti videogame whore jack thompson" and "gamers against jack" stuff came up.
Thought I remember GTA losing a couple of suits to parents suing Rockstar..

In any case, the fact that a lot of the local media and the likes of Senators Hilary Clinton and Joe Lieberman on the same page as Thompson, it still gives the gaming industry a bad image.

The story on my33 news was so one-sided without anyone defending the gaming industry (and the news reporters looked like they actually believed bully was the "most violent video game ever created" in their own words) people just watcing the 10 o'clock news are going to get the wrong impressions.
Something bad happens in schools? Blame video games! Your kid had his lunch money stolen? Blame a video game and take the makers to court!

Yes, to us gamers, Thompson does seem like a nonsensical lunatic attacking the game industry, but to every day people, especially older people, who dont play games who just hear about a kid getting killed and GTA being blamed, they're gonna turn to the likes of Jack's anti gaming message and worst case scenario, believe the BS he spews.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2006, 12:48:44 AM »

Just in case anyone's interested, a video of Jack's contempt hearing is here.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2006, 01:12:07 AM »

i think the judge did the right thing in passint ehr uling on contempt along to someone else.  Otherwise not only would Tomspon, but perhaps someone else have claimed that if he was guilty, that it was a vendetta by the judge. 

I have never seen that guy before last week.  other than his name.  WOW.  He's a tool, and a rude one at that.  I can't wait to see what happens when he tries to pull something like that as he moves up in the courts.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: