http://gamingtrend.com
November 28, 2014, 12:20:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jack is back - 24 returning  (Read 502 times)
Soulchilde
Gaming Trend Senior Member

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« on: May 13, 2013, 12:47:42 PM »

12 Episode season coming soon   This is a good thing
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 01:18:15 PM by Soulchilde » Logged

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 08:01:39 PM »

Fuck ya!

Sent from me cool phone

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 06:05:13 PM »

Did anybody else end up watching this (Live Another Day)?  Wrapped up last night, writing and direction in this last episode felt really choppy and discombobulated, and I found the last couple of plot "twists" irritating and contrived.  Pretty disappointing after a good start to the season, and I really liked Yvonne Strahotski in it.  I suspect the show won't be back, but who knows.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Really?  After all they did to bring Audrey back, this is how they kill her, without even a scene with Jack in the final episode?  I found it almost insultingly annoying, pretty much a slap in the face.  I call it the Game of Thrones effect.  Everyone and their brother now apparently thinks it's cool to kill off main characters for shock value.  The whole point of bringing the show back, I thought, was to service the fans with a last hurrah (or two).  Instead I guess they thought it would be cool to kill off one of the series' best characters (again) with an unceremonious random shot.  Sadly the only actress Kiefer Sutherland has ever shown any palpable chemistry with is Audrey, so it was pretty stupid all in all.  Oh well, time to move on.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 06:06:56 PM by rittchard » Logged
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 08:35:22 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on July 15, 2014, 06:05:13 PM

Did anybody else end up watching this (Live Another Day)?  Wrapped up last night, writing and direction in this last episode felt really choppy and discombobulated, and I found the last couple of plot "twists" irritating and contrived.  Pretty disappointing after a good start to the season, and I really liked Yvonne Strahotski in it.  I suspect the show won't be back, but who knows.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Really?  After all they did to bring Audrey back, this is how they kill her, without even a scene with Jack in the final episode?  I found it almost insultingly annoying, pretty much a slap in the face.  I call it the Game of Thrones effect.  Everyone and their brother now apparently thinks it's cool to kill off main characters for shock value.  The whole point of bringing the show back, I thought, was to service the fans with a last hurrah (or two).  Instead I guess they thought it would be cool to kill off one of the series' best characters (again) with an unceremonious random shot.  Sadly the only actress Kiefer Sutherland has ever shown any palpable chemistry with is Audrey, so it was pretty stupid all in all.  Oh well, time to move on.

It actually kind of makes sense in that:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Just about everyone Jack really cares about eventually gets whacked.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 10:01:43 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on July 15, 2014, 06:05:13 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:

Spoiler for Hiden:
I didn't mind Audrey dying.  After the excesses of the last few seasons of the show, where the writers thought they had to shock people with every episode, I thought Live Another Day did a good job of not going over-the-top with the shock value.  I also thought Audrey's death was fitting given the overall incredibly depressing tone of the finale.  President Heller's final speech about forgetting Audrey was one of the saddest things I've ever heard, although it was extremely well-done and probably the highlight of the season for me.  Overall, I really enjoyed LAD.  My only problem with it was that Jack ended up being the least interesting character in the show.  After Jack expressed remorse for his actions from the end of the last season, I though we'd see some kind of path of redemption, but instead they turned him into a a complete psychopath.  On the other hand, I thought the subplots with the president and Audrey's husband were some of the best side stories since season one.  I liked how they made Mark a good guy in a bad situation whose one mistake led to catastrophe.

Also, it looks like the show will very likely be back in the future.  The writers/producers want to do more, and there's no way Fox will ignore the ratings the series had.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2014, 10:10:53 PM »

Were the ratings good? The number of posts in this thread tell a different story.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2014, 10:46:09 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on July 15, 2014, 10:10:53 PM

Were the ratings good? The number of posts in this thread tell a different story.

I've heard the ratings described as "respectable" and "solid", especially for a summer show.  Its ratings were very close to those of the heavily-promoted Bachelorette on ABC.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2014, 10:47:47 PM »

I haven't watched this new season yet. I'm sure I'll watch it on hulu at some point.
Rip
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2014, 11:28:24 PM »

I thought it was great.

Would certainly watch another season.
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2014, 05:52:22 AM »

24 was killing off major characters long before Game of Thrones made it cool. I really enjoyed this season a lot, definitely its best since S5. The 12 hour season helps them to cut out the fat. I was just disappointed that they didn't bring back the cougar from S2 to wreak vengeance for missing out on eating Kim.

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2014, 08:23:26 AM »

Quote from: Suitably Ironic Moniker on July 16, 2014, 05:52:22 AM

24 was killing off major characters long before Game of Thrones made it cool. I really enjoyed this season a lot, definitely its best since S5. The 12 hour season helps them to cut out the fat. I was just disappointed that they didn't bring back the cougar from S2 to wreak vengeance for missing out on eating Kim.

The only words I saw were, "eating Kim", yeah. Sorry.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2014, 01:17:15 PM »

Jeebus, that was a bleak final hour. 

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2014, 01:40:20 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on July 16, 2014, 01:17:15 PM

Jeebus, that was a bleak final hour.  

I don't think it was quite upbeat enough to be bleak slywink  Here's how everyone ended up -

Spoiler for Hiden:
Jack - About to suffer horrible pain at the hands of the Russians.  Only two people left alive that he cares about, and one of them wants nothing to do with him.
Chloe - Boyfriend (who was just using her) is dead, only friend is about to suffer years of torture because of her, life in complete shambles.
President Heller - Daughter's dead, son-in-law and friend arrested for treason, about to lose presidency, has horrible illness that will cause him to lose everything he ever loved
Audrey - Died a pointless death
Mark - Wife's dead (and she hated him in the end, probably never really loved him, and was willing to dump him for a psychopathic killer), arrested for treason, facing death
Kate - mistake led to death of the president's daughter, must live with the fact that her husband killed himself because she didn't believe in him, even though he was innocent, no job
 crybaby

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2014, 02:21:21 PM »

On the plus side, the English Prime Minister came out of it looking great!

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2014, 08:24:11 PM »

I followed the ratings and I think they kept reporting that they were disappointing, something in the 5-6 million range each week IIRC.

I vote for another season they hire Chuck to team with Kate, and bring back Tony, Kim and the cougar.  Might as well resurrect Michelle while they are at it smile
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2014, 09:28:34 PM »

They'll bring it back; I'm sure that's one of the reasons he's off to the gulag. They aren't going to leave his story hanging like that.

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2014, 02:20:41 PM »

NPR had an interview with Sutherland before this last season started and he was cracking me up with stories about people seeing him going into a stall in a public restroom and announcing loudly, "The following takes place between 9am and 9:15am".   icon_lol

corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2014, 11:59:59 AM »

24 was always one of my favorite shows and it was sad to see it go after so many seasons.
This last season was as good as I remember it being.

Was almost kind of sad seeing the President say in a year he won't remember his daughter having died such a horrible death. Actually, that he won't even remember he had a daughter at all.

Big thumbs up to the entire season and I hope they give us at least another one.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2014, 05:03:03 PM »

Yeah, I think that final speech was extremely sad and a succinct way of bringing home the devastation that Alzheimer's disease can have on the victim, their family, and their friends. Also, William Devane is the man.

Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2014, 05:42:09 PM »

I finished up the season watching the last three episodes last night. Overall, a really well done season and the suspense during those last three episodes was really awesome. The president's conversation with the British PM at the end was really sad and poignant, and the final exchange between Jack and Chloe was a really nice emotional touch. I hope Fox renews 24 for another season. They can't leave a badass like Jack rotting away in a prison in Russia. That's no way to go out. Ideally, Chloe and Jack's mercenary friend are coming up with some plan to spring him from prison and save the world one more time.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: