http://gamingtrend.com
July 24, 2014, 06:05:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Its time to upgrade my phone. need advice  (Read 859 times)
Soulchilde
Gaming Trend Senior Member

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« on: March 16, 2006, 07:33:35 PM »

I'm with Cingular and I am pretty happy with the service as of right now I have a Motoral V551, but I am thinking of getting a Palm Treo 650.

Has anyone had any experience with this phone?

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2006, 08:24:26 PM »

I have a Treo 650 (via Sprint) and absolutely love it. Of course, I was a heavy Palm user before, so that really helped sway me into getting the phone/Palm combo.

But great phone quality, great applications, and cheap internet fee (I pay something like $9.99 a month for unlimited, but slow, 'net use) made this phone a great deal.

If you'd rather go the Pocket PC route though, there is a Treo 700. Smaller screen resolution (320x240 vs 320x320), and entirely different OS behind the applications (and thus, different software), but same general phone. Just a whole lot more expensive (as it's brand new).

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2006, 01:25:16 AM »

Thanks for the reply.  Can you downloadable ringtones?   Also, does it has a vibrate setting?  I know these are simple questions, but I can't seem to find any info on these two functions

NiM$
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2006, 01:37:00 AM »

I'm thinkin about going from rotary to push button.We're suuposed to get push button service up here any month now. :?

Ye Olde Farte
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2006, 02:27:16 AM »

Quote from: "Soulchilde"
Thanks for the reply.  Can you downloadable ringtones?   Also, does it has a vibrate setting?  I know these are simple questions, but I can't seem to find any info on these two functions

Yes and yes. You can either pull one of many standard .midi ringtones from most common webpages, or there are programs out there that can make a .mp3 file your ringtone. Depends on how much you want to spend on doing so.

And as far as the vibrate setting - there's an idiot switch up top that completely mutes the device and turns on vibrate mode for any phone calls you get.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
unbreakable
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2006, 03:01:05 AM »

I've been tempted toward the Treo line since they first came out: my current Palm is a Handspring, and has served me well all these years.

I'm holding out at the moment, because I see a total convergence into one device as just around the corner.  The Treo 650 has phone + MP3 + PDA + SD memory.  What I'm holding out just a bit longer for is integrated WiFi access.  Yes, it already has a browser which you can pay extra $$$ to use via your service provider, but to me that's a needless waste of money (as well as being technologically unnecessary).
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2006, 04:13:24 PM »

Got the Treo 700w (Windows Mobile 5 version). It's pretty good. I like the Windows OS b/c it has the same software as my PDA. It also has a tendency to lock up due to low memory which was a stupid design decision. Also don't like the smaller 240x240 screen.

Overall its the best PDA/Phone i've had yet. It's not as good as a dedicated phone and the email is not as good as a blackberry, but it has a ton of options and bells and whistles.

I can stream video and satellite radio off the broadband connection, I can play Madden 2006 and read books on it. So its a tradeoff depending on what you want.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2006, 04:46:56 PM »

Quote from: "Jag"
Got the Treo 700w (Windows Mobile 5 version). It's pretty good. I like the Windows OS b/c it has the same software as my PDA. It also has a tendency to lock up due to low memory which was a stupid design decision. Also don't like the smaller 240x240 screen.

If you were a previous Palm user, keep in mind that the Pocket PC OS does NOT close down programs unless you actually quit them. That, bundled with the really low (for reasons I can't fathom short of cost) main memory, causes these issues.

The screen resolution though is a serious problem. Programs in general are designed for the 320x240 or 320x480 standard for Pocket PCs, and that the Treo 700 is a 240x240, causes a lot of program issues. Devs are scrambling to port their programs to that resolution.

Jag

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2006, 05:51:49 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"
Quote from: "Jag"

If you were a previous Palm user, keep in mind that the Pocket PC OS does NOT close down programs unless you actually quit them. That, bundled with the really low (for reasons I can't fathom short of cost) main memory, causes these issues.

The screen resolution though is a serious problem. Programs in general are designed for the 320x240 or 320x480 standard for Pocket PCs, and that the Treo 700 is a 240x240, causes a lot of program issues. Devs are scrambling to port their programs to that resolution.

I'm aware of the closing issue since i've been using WM for many years now. You can actually hold the OK button and close all programs or use an applet that closes them by default.

The 240x240 is not as big a problem as i thought. Many programs work fine and the ones that dont are getting workarounds. Frankly i dont expect this phone/pda to replace my Axim for playability, but it's more fun than any normal phone i've used. The browser is especially speedy, which is nice to actually do some real websurfing on a phone.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2006, 06:37:55 PM »

I've used a Treo 650 and honestly found it awful for a phone.  Voice quality was medicre to poor, and the phone degredates over time.  Some people absolutely love it, however.

I've also heard mixed reviews of the 700.  Some love it, some hate it.

Another alternative is the 8125.  This is Cingular's version of the phone I use with Sprint, the PPC-6700.  I find the slideout keyboard far better than the Treo's tiny one and the screen is gorgeous.  The voice quality of the phone is also leaps and bounds over the Treo as well.  The only caveat is a) if you do turn on the 802.11b wi-fi, it drains the ever loving shit out of the battery, and b) if you like dialing the phone in the car, forget about it, as the dial pad is on the touch screen and you can't feel around for buttons.

gellar
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2006, 06:40:29 PM »

Oh last point... the Treo 650 does not take advantage of the new hi-speed data networks, which is certainly something to consider.  If you live/work within the coverage areas (major metro cities), wireless broadband access is a HUGE boon.

gellar
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2006, 07:36:07 PM »

Quote from: "gellar"
Oh last point... the Treo 650 does not take advantage of the new hi-speed data networks, which is certainly something to consider.  If you live/work within the coverage areas (major metro cities), wireless broadband access is a HUGE boon.

I've always wondered about that, but for me, having a high speed network on my phone just isn't worth it. I mean, how often do I really need to check up on my mail while I'm on the run? Actually, I never do that anyway, but you see my point.

Jag - I figured you'd know how to use a Pocket PC, but it never hurts to mention something.

And as far as my phone quality goes - it sounds great. With a headset (and a decent one at that) it's even better, but I never have any issues with phone quality.

Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2006, 03:09:14 PM »

Well, I picked up the Cingular 8125 Pocket PC over the weekend and I detest that they didn't include a user manual.  I hate using a .PDF manual, but I am actually quite happy with my purchase.   Still trying to figure somethings out

Such as downloadable ring tones.  It says I can do it, but everytime I try to get one I never seem to get it.  Maybe I need to get a miniSD card?  Anyone know how to do this?

NiM$
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2006, 04:21:49 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"
Quote from: "gellar"

I've always wondered about that, but for me, having a high speed network on my phone just isn't worth it. I mean, how often do I really need to check up on my mail while I'm on the run? Actually, I never do that anyway, but you see my point.

Well... I check my mail constantly, but that's because I travel quite a bit.

It's also nice to tether the phone to my laptop and have high speed broadband basically anywhere I go in major metro areas.

Finally... there is this awesome product.

gellar
Meisterbrew
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2006, 07:08:38 PM »

Heh, get a razr v3 , not a smart phone but it works like a charm!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: