http://gamingtrend.com
November 24, 2014, 09:52:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Its an Indiana Jones weekend  (Read 3782 times)
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2008, 08:24:24 PM »

Quote from: SpaceLord on May 09, 2008, 07:00:53 PM

Quote from: pr0ner on May 09, 2008, 02:38:12 PM

Quote from: ATB on May 09, 2008, 01:01:18 PM

Quote from: Daehawk on May 09, 2008, 04:19:36 AM

Well I hate to tell you fine folks this but I have my work cut out for me..she has not seen Die Hard. I told her I would find it to watch to redeem herself in my eyes. Poor girl.

While Diehard is possilby the greatest action movie of all time, it's not in the same league as 'OMG YOU Haven't seen....' movies.

Someone needs to watch The Killer and Hard Boiled.

The Killer is the best cop movie.

The best action movie, period, is Terminator 2.  icon_cool

I think you meant to say "Aliens." slywink

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2008, 08:28:11 PM »

Well she hasn't seen the Airplane movies. Ive been trying to get her to watch those for years. I think I can get her to watch them.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2008, 08:33:00 PM »

Raiders is a perfect film for me. Every shot, every sequence, every character, and every line. All of it works. There are like five movies in history like that, and Raiders is on that list. I thought Temple of Doom was "meh" when I first saw it and it remains "meh" now, despite the fact that it is genuinely funny in parts. It's one of those films where the parts work better than the whole.

Contrary to most popular opinion, "Last Crusade" I consider to be terrible. Just awful. You take a great setup as Sean Connery as Indy's dad and have him berate Indy incessantly until the very, very, very last possible second and then everything's okay. You take the character of Marcus Brody, who was established as Indy before he became an administrator and retired from the field, and turn him into a clueless boob. You take the character of Sallah, established as a veteran and respected dig master known throughout Egypt, and turn him into a greedy Arab caricature. You have the worst special effects in the series with absolutely boring action sequences (the combination of which is the fighter plane scene which I have to actively fast forward past because I cannot watch it). At least the girl has some chemistry with Indy unlike Willie Scott did in Temple.

Of course, that may have just been my desire to punch her in the mouth every time she screamed which was every 30 seconds or so.

In short, "Raiders" = Win. Both "Temple" and "Last Crusade" = Fail.

I'm getting more and more of a sense of "Fail" from the new trailers than anything else, but at least I'll always have "Raiders."
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 09:02:10 PM by whiteboyskim » Logged

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2008, 08:43:30 PM »

Temple of Doom has really grown on me.  Actually, now that I think about it, I've always liked it.  Loved it when I first saw it on release at age nine and didn't even know that I was supposed to hate it until the internet told me so.  Then, when I revisited it when the DVDs hit, I discovered that I still loved it.  Not as good as Raiders certainly, but I think it just has some absolutely fantastic action and I think Harrison Ford was pretty much as badass in it as he's ever been. 

I've always kind of resented the way Spielberg disowned it.  I think the the reaction to the film, along with the lukewarm reaction to his "serious" followups The Color Purlple and Empire of the Sun, really shook his confidence which was one of the reasons that Last Crusade was so toothless (and he really didn't get back in the groove until Schindler's List).  Spielberg has always had a fair amount of darkness running through his movies and Temple of Doom felt right in line with that and rethinking that approach did him no favors. 

Totally agreed on the character assassination of Sallah and Brody.  I blame Jeffrey Boam- his other script from that summer of 1989 was Lethal Weapon 2 and that one also went far more for the comedy than it's prequel but I think the core of Shane Black's original LW2 script that was left helped it retain the bite it needed, especially in the final act.  When Boam worked on the Shane Black-less script of LW3 it really became too soft (though still fun). 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2008, 12:44:42 AM »

Quote from: SpaceLord on May 09, 2008, 07:00:53 PM

Quote from: pr0ner on May 09, 2008, 02:38:12 PM

Quote from: ATB on May 09, 2008, 01:01:18 PM

Quote from: Daehawk on May 09, 2008, 04:19:36 AM

Well I hate to tell you fine folks this but I have my work cut out for me..she has not seen Die Hard. I told her I would find it to watch to redeem herself in my eyes. Poor girl.

While Diehard is possilby the greatest action movie of all time, it's not in the same league as 'OMG YOU Haven't seen....' movies.

Someone needs to watch The Killer and Hard Boiled.

The Killer is the best cop movie.

The best action movie, period, is Terminator 3.  icon_cool

ninja

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2008, 06:09:22 AM »

Temple's saving grace was the mine cart chase.

Last Crusade and meh to me..not horrible but certainly the least of the 3.

Ark though was perfect.

Biyobi

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2008, 08:02:46 AM »

So what's the deal with the new "Special Editions" of the movie?  Any idea what's included?  Amazon didn't have any details of what's new/included with the new versions.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2008, 06:23:04 PM »

No idea..I didn't know there were any. Im betting Steven Spielberg wont go back and screw his movies up like Lucas did.

1 1/2 hours and counting till Ark!

CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: May 10, 2008, 11:50:41 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on May 10, 2008, 06:23:04 PM

No idea..I didn't know there were any. Im betting Steven Spielberg wont go back and screw his movies up like Lucas did.

*cough* E.T. *cough*

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
chaosraven
Gaming Trend Reader

Freakin' Puppets

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 11, 2008, 12:05:54 AM »

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=42504
The Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark Special Edition DVD is presented in widescreen enhanced for 16:9 TVs with Dolby Digital English 5.1 Surround, French 2.0 Surround and Spanish 2.0 Surround and English, French and Spanish subtitles. The disc includes the following special features:

-- "Raiders of the Lost Ark": An Introduction by Steven Spielberg & George Lucas
-- Indiana Jones: An Appreciation--The cast and crew of "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" pay tribute to the original trilogy.
-- The Melting Face--A recreation of the amazing physical effect of the villain's melting face in "Raiders of the Lost Ark," including Steven Spielberg and George Lucas commenting on the evolution of visual effects and CGI.
-- Storyboard Sequence--The Well of Souls
-- Galleries
-- Illustrations & Props
-- Production Photographs & Portraits
-- Effects/ILM
-- Marketing
-- "LEGO Indiana Jones: The Original Adventures" Game Demo and Trailer

The Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom Special Edition DVD is presented in widescreen enhanced for 16:9 TVs with Dolby Digital English 5.1 Surround, French 2.0 Surround and Spanish 2.0 Surround and English, French and Spanish subtitles. The disc includes the following special features:

-- "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom": An Introduction by Steven Spielberg & George Lucas
-- Creepy Crawlies--Steven Spielberg, George Lucas and Frank Marshall reminisce about snakes, bugs and rats.
-- Locations--Travel across the world to discover where the films take place and where they were shot.
-- Storyboard Sequence--The Mine Cart Chase
-- Galleries
-- Illustrations & Props
-- Effects/ILM
-- Marketing

The Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade Special Edition DVD is presented in widescreen enhanced for 16:9 TVs with Dolby Digital English 5.1 Surround, French 2.0 Surround and Spanish 2.0 Surround and English, French and Spanish subtitles. The disc includes the following special features:

-- "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade": An Introduction by Steven Spielberg & George Lucas
-- The Women: The American Film Institute Tribute--The three Indiana Jones women (Karen Allen, Kate Capshaw and Alison Doody) reunite for a discussion.
-- Friends and Enemies--Steven Spielberg, George Lucas and Indiana Jones writers discuss how they created the most iconic characters in film history, including a look at new faces in "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull."
-- Storyboard Sequence--The Opening Sequence
-- Galleries
-- Illustrations & Props
-- Effects/ILM
-- Marketing

Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark has a running time of 115 minutes and an MPAA rating of PG. Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom has a running time of 118 minutes and an MPAA rating of PG. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade has a running time of 126 minutes and an MPAA rating of PG-13.

Spawn of OO Collective
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 11, 2008, 01:38:29 AM »

Quote from: CrayolaSmoker on May 10, 2008, 11:50:41 PM

Quote from: Daehawk on May 10, 2008, 06:23:04 PM

*cough* E.T. *cough*

I hated ET the first time I saw it and never watched it again smile

And thnx for the DVD info.

Oh and I still have'nt watched it tonight. The stupid network showed them in reverser order..3 then 2 and now 1 is on. Im DVRn it till 10 and then we start watching it so we can skip commercials.

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 11, 2008, 01:50:45 AM »

Quote from: Daehawk on May 11, 2008, 01:38:29 AM

Okay, I have to know....what did you hate about E.T.?  How old were you when you saw it?

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 11, 2008, 02:18:28 AM »

Quote from: chaosraven on May 11, 2008, 12:05:54 AM

where's my frickin' Blu Ray editions???  mad

Because I can,
JohnathanStrange

Noted Humanitarian

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 11, 2008, 02:35:59 AM »

I was looking forward to seeing them the entire series again. Thanks all for the reminder!

You just don't give up do you? You seize life by the throat and shake it like a topless bartender mixing a martini! -- Mayor Adam West
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 11, 2008, 05:42:28 AM »

Quote from: The Grue on May 11, 2008, 01:50:45 AM

Quote from: Daehawk on May 11, 2008, 01:38:29 AM

Okay, I have to know....what did you hate about E.T.?  How old were you when you saw it?

I never saw it as a kid and watched it when I was about 31 years old. I got sick SICK of hearing Drew screaming. I just hated the movie but she was the most annoying part.

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 11, 2008, 06:32:17 AM »

Quote from: Daehawk on May 11, 2008, 05:42:28 AM

I never saw it as a kid and watched it when I was about 31 years old. I got sick SICK of hearing Drew screaming. I just hated the movie but she was the most annoying part.

Alright, that is what I figured.  You have to had watched it as a kid, I suppose.  I cried like a little baby.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 11, 2008, 06:41:26 AM »

Quote from: The Grue on May 11, 2008, 06:32:17 AM

Quote from: Daehawk on May 11, 2008, 05:42:28 AM

Alright, that is what I figured.  You have to had watched it as a kid, I suppose.  I cried like a little baby.

I saw it as a kid and didn't care for it then either.  Not enough action for my tastes.

Because I can,
McNutt

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 12, 2008, 02:12:50 PM »

I saw it when I was eight or nine and wondered what all the fuss was about.  I didn't care for it either.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 12, 2008, 02:38:57 PM »

Yeah, well you guys are freaks.  I am not sure how a chase scene from the government and flying bicycles don't qualify as action.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 12, 2008, 03:17:09 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on May 12, 2008, 02:38:57 PM

Yeah, well you guys are freaks.  I am not sure how a chase scene from the government and flying bicycles don't qualify as action.

it waa action, but not enough.

back on topic, or close to it, is anyone else going to grab the new DVD's this week?  I want to hold out for Blu Ray, but it's been forever since I've actually sat down and watched the movies.

Because I can,
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 12, 2008, 03:24:00 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 12, 2008, 03:17:09 PM

back on topic, or close to it, is anyone else going to grab the new DVD's this week?  I want to hold out for Blu Ray, but it's been forever since I've actually sat down and watched the movies.

I already have the original DVDs and I don't see anything in these new ones to justify repurchasing them.  Is there something I am missing in the feature set that should make me buy them again?  One thing I don't like about my set is I find the dialog is too quite compared to the sounds and music.  I wonder if they fixed that as it would probably make me spring for it.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: May 12, 2008, 03:25:29 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on May 12, 2008, 03:24:00 PM

I already have the original DVDs and I don't see anything in these new ones to justify repurchasing them.  Is there something I am missing in the feature set that should make me buy them again?  One thing I don't like about my set is I find the dialog is too quite compared to the sounds and music.  I wonder if they fixed that as it would probably make me spring for it.

Lucas re-released them again, right? It doesn't matter if you own the older ones or not - your other copies are inferior and as such you must buy them again. Lucas commands you! biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
stimpy

I'm makin a move!!

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 12, 2008, 03:30:59 PM »

One thing I don't like about my set is I find the dialog is too quite compared to the sounds and music.

Fuck fuck fuck....I hate it when they play music over dialogue, which it seems is done in pretty much everything these days, from t.v. shows to movies.
When did this become so common? It's especially bad on shows that are on MTV or VH1. Do they throw music in there just to try and add to the drama or whatever. Dam....it's annoying to me when I cant hear what is being said cause the music is too loud.
McNutt

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 12, 2008, 03:31:21 PM »

Recently I've lost the desire to rewatch movies enough to justify purchasing them.  Even though Raiders is one of my all-time favorites, I doubt I'd ever put in the DVD because I've seen the movie about 100 times.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 12, 2008, 03:39:49 PM »

I'd compare them and let you know, but I never bought them when they first came out on DVD figuring he'd do something like this.  I cannot find even a rumor about a Blu Ray release so I'm going to grab them this time around.

Because I can,
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 12, 2008, 04:39:36 PM »

I think there is a slim possibility that we might see KotCS on Bluray this year.  The first three?  Not so much.  Both Lucas and Spielberg generally wait until a format is well established.  Yeah, Spielberg has Close Encounters out on Bluray (and he did cooperate with it's release) but it's wholly Sony owned and they didn't need his approval to release it like most of the rest of his catalog.  Lucas is the same way.  IIRC, the Indy trilogy didn't hit DVD until 2003, five or six years after DVD hit the market. 

So I'd say go ahead and grab the DVDs.  The current transfers are excellent and hopefully I'll jinx you and we'll see all four movies on Blu-Ray this fall. 
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 12, 2008, 07:43:36 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on May 07, 2008, 06:00:06 PM

Since Im under orders to rest and not pick up over 10 lbs the wife has been taking care of me. Ive talked her into watching Indiana Jones. She loves action movies but has neve rseen one of them. She is in for a treat. We found that on Saturday one of the cable channels is playing all 3 of them starting around 3pm . So Ive set the DVR but we may just hit the daybed up and watch them all through at once when they come on. Sounds like fun. Haven't seen one in years.

If ya love the movies then check your cable guide for Saturday.

So I watched parts of these over the weekend.  Interestingly enough, USA decided to show them in reverse order - Last Crusade, then Temple, then Raiders.  What became obvious at the beginning of Raiders was how much better a film it was.  You could watch any 5 minutes of Raiders and compare it to any segment of the others and it would come out on top.  The others just didn't take themselves seriously enough, and the lack of effort showed.

The big question is whether 4 can make up for 2 and 3, or follow on the trip down?

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 13, 2008, 12:55:11 AM »

Of course holding Indy 2 and 3 up to the standards set by Raiders is almost unfair.  I do have a good feeling about 4 though, for a few reasons.  1)  Marion Ravenwood!!!
no doubt she was the best Indy woman and bringing her back is awesome. 2) Time.  enough time has passed that the whole Willie Scott fiasco is just a bad dream now.
3)  All the geriactric jokes aside, I believe Harrison Ford still has the chops to pull this off.  4)  Have you seen Karen Allen in the previews?  It looks like they stored her in tupperware for the last 20 years.  She's hardly aged a day.  Anyone seen Kate lately?  Didnt think so!   icon_wink 
 Anyway I believe this movie is gonna be fantastic which is going to be great for the movie industry as Ironman has already proven to be a monster hit and theres some pretty good stuff down the road this summer.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 26, 2008, 03:50:28 AM »

Well, I was going to watch Raiders of the Lost Ark on DVD tonight and noticed a big gash that someone in my family (they will not fess up) put in the DVD.  It basically ruined the DVD and it skips around the snake part.  So, this will give me an excuse to buy the new set to see if there are any changes in how the voice is mixed in with the rest of the movie.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 26, 2008, 04:01:54 AM »

Quote from: The Grue on May 26, 2008, 03:50:28 AM

Well, I was going to watch Raiders of the Lost Ark on DVD tonight and noticed a big gash that someone in my family (they will not fess up) put in the DVD.  It basically ruined the DVD and it skips around the snake part.  So, this will give me an excuse to buy the new set to see if there are any changes in how the voice is mixed in with the rest of the movie.

I went to buy the new set today after seeing Indy 4 and the local Target was sold out.  they didn't even have the separate titles.

Because I can,
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 18, 2011, 09:34:46 PM »

I didn't know which zombie thread to wake up for this. Roger Ebert's blog noted:
A special 30th anniversary restoration* of "Raiders of the Lost Ark" opens Friday 11/18 at Chicago's Music Box theater. So far this is the restoration's only U.S. booking.
If only I lived in Chicago.  icon_frown

*Don't worry -- no newly digitized effects like a digitally inserted Short Round, and Indy doesn't yell "NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" when he thinks Marion's dead.  icon_razz

I always remember my older brother and I saw this in a theater in Hawaii in about July 1981 during a stopover on our way back to Virginia from Korea. Although it had been playing a couple of months, it was still selling out. I didn't know anything about the movie other than that the Washington Post's critic loved it, and it seemed to involve a "doctor."  icon_smile Oh that I could ever walk into a big movie release "cold" like that anymore -- no preconceptions, or hype to live up to. You'd have to live in a cave now to ever have that situation now.  icon_smile
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 09:38:58 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 18, 2011, 10:04:56 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on November 18, 2011, 09:34:46 PM

You'd have to live in a cave now to ever have that situation now.  icon_smile

I don't live in a cave, but I go into every movie like that.  I don't really read about movies or watch much more than maybe a trailer before seeing them.  Maybe that's why I enjoy every movie I go to.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: November 18, 2011, 10:14:33 PM »

Yeah, I much prefer going into movies without a lot of advance knowledge.  At most I've usually watched one trailer and then try to avoid the rest.  It's one of the reasons I avoid our movie threads around here, since they tend to be worse than the gossip rags with all the info.  Tongue

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 18, 2011, 10:44:09 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on November 18, 2011, 10:04:56 PM

You'd have to live in a cave now to ever have that situation now.  icon_smile

I don't live in a cave, but I go into every movie like that.  I don't really read about movies or watch much more than maybe a trailer before seeing them.  Maybe that's why I enjoy every movie I go to.

Maybe if you turned on a light, you'd be a little better informed.

You'd get hungry, though.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 18, 2011, 11:15:03 PM »

I didn't know which zombie thread to wake up for this. Roger Ebert's blog noted:
A special 30th anniversary restoration* of "Raiders of the Lost Ark" opens Friday 11/18 at Chicago's Music Box theater. So far this is the restoration's only U.S. booking.
If only I lived in Chicago.  icon_frown

crap, if only I'd known this before today!   icon_cry

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 19, 2011, 04:38:11 AM »

so what is special about this screening,just that they have cleaned it up?,because i remember the DVD of Raiders no longer had the Glass reflection in the Snake scene so i presumed it already had been cleaned up

Raiders,Fellowship and Empire are all my favourite moves,i saw Fellowship twice at the cinema,saw Empire for the special edition at the cinema and i intend to go see it again in 20-whatever(2016?) in 3D....just hoping Raiders comes along so i can tick that off as well(and Temple of Doom why not,as i saw Last Crusade and Crystal Skull on the big screen)

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: