http://gamingtrend.com
April 19, 2014, 07:44:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: It's that time again...FAVORITE BAND!!!!!!!!!  (Read 680 times)
Daehawk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: April 06, 2011, 04:05:56 AM »

Doesn't matter the style of music. For me of course it is ROCKnROLL man smile Maybe someone likes that Justine kid or perhaps the Cyrus girl. Who knows.

For me there is STILL after all these years only ONE band that is the greatest. I grew up with them, I owned their trading cards, I still miss them frown...THE one... THE only...........................

QUEEN.

And for the best concert watch Queen at Wembley. First part starts HERE

The angels get to hear new music from Freddie. So lucky.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 04:14:45 AM by Daehawk » Logged

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
lildrgn

It's not the years, it's the mileage.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 06:56:35 AM »

Current favorite band: Fountains of Wayne

All-time favorite band: Rush

Honorable mentions: Boston, Van Halen, Muse, Weezer, Oasis

Solo artists: Juliana Hatfield, Aimee Mann, Sara Bareilles, A Fine Frenzy

Pong
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 09:43:55 AM »

Nirvana.

17 years on and nothing else compares to it.
It opened my mind for tons of other bands/genres and helped shape my taste, and it still rocks more biggrin
There are tons of other artists that I love, but there can only be one #1 :p
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 10:06:55 AM »

Probably not many people that know about these guys, but - Alan Parsons Project has made some amazing music over the years. Genre wise its all over the plaze, from electronic, to pop, to rock to musicals.

I'm a bit sad that they seem to have fallen off the grid, but here's hoping they will come back one day.

A new one
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 11:49:02 AM »

Even though my overall music tastes have changed drastically in the last 5 years, I'd still say my all-time favorite band is Skinny Puppy.  If nightmares had soundtracks, I'm reasonably sure they'd sound like the music SP puts out.  Those dudes are sheer genius.

That said, I listen to far more metal these days than industrial.  So bands like Opeth, Amorphis, Type O Negative, Agalloch, Kyuss, Cynic, Dog Fashion Disco/Polkadot Cadaver, Edge of Sanity, Gojira, and others would all follow a very close second, third, fourth, etc..  Oh, and throw a few randoms like David Bowie, Bauhaus, Alice in Chains, and Nine Inch Nails into the mix as well.

OK...narrowing it down to one is nearly impossible.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 12:06:36 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on April 06, 2011, 10:06:55 AM

Probably not many people that know about these guys, but - Alan Parsons Project has made some amazing music over the years. Genre wise its all over the plaze, from electronic, to pop, to rock to musicals.

I'm a bit sad that they seem to have fallen off the grid, but here's hoping they will come back one day.

I still have Alan Parsons first LP in record form.  The album cover was in kind of a book format and the art work was fantastic, as was the album Tales of Mystery and Imagination by Edgar Alan Poe.
   When they finally became a touring band years later, they played a small venue in Kalamazoo, MI   A friend of mine was working security and got permission to bring us back stage after the show where I got to meet Alan and his band and got all their autographs.  They were all very cool and when I thanked AP for his music, he thanked me for being a fan and said if it wasnt for people like me none of this would be possible.  The cynic would call that kind of cliche, I know, but still it was a very cool experience.

I like and listen to a wide variety of music but my favorite bands  ( I cant just pick one as my tastes change often ) seem to be mostly british imports.  They would include the obvious ones like Pink Floyd, the Who and the Beatles.
  Im a big fan of Yes and have seen them live over 20 times.  Whether you like their music or not, its impossible not to acknowledge the incredible skill packed into that group.  They are fantastic live.    I would put Steve Howe in the top 5 rock guitarists,  Chris Squire is one of the best rock bassists ever ( only second to John Entwhistle of the Who ) and Rick Wakeman is tops on keyboards, though Keith Emerson can certainly give him a run for his money.  You also have the unique and iconic voice of Jon Anderson to add to the mix.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 01:32:23 PM »

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2011, 01:40:44 PM »

The Police
Steely Dan
Prince

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2011, 04:09:25 PM »

<-------

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2011, 04:15:08 PM »

My holy trilogy:

Radiohead
Blur
Pulp
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2011, 04:25:21 PM »

The Police
Van Halen
Public Enemy
Wu Tang Clan
NWA

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2011, 04:28:20 PM »

For me, it's always been a toss-up between Metallica and Megadeth,  thought I've been liking Megadeth less and less the past few years. Their music has always resonated with me, and unlike many people, I don't mind the Loads and like Death Magnetic.

A relatively new band that I find myself listening to a lot these days is Alter Bridge.
Scuzz

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2011, 05:41:17 PM »

Kansas or Blue Oyster Cult

I will admit that BOC studio stuff is way below there live music and that nothing played on the radio by them matches any of their earlier music.

As for Kansas...They feature great guitar work and vocals, extended songs and lyrics about things besides just your typical R&R chick stuff. I think Kansas was a greatly under appreciated band.
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2011, 06:24:11 PM »

I am without a doubt a metal head.   Born a metal head, raised a metal head, and will die a metal head.

That being said....Iron Maiden and noone even a close #2.    Also happy to report my 8 year old loves Maiden and has already seen them in concert and probably knows more lyrics to their songs than i do (and i know practically all of them).

#2.   However goes to Ronnie James Dio.   I was crushed when he died last year and still regret never seeing him in concert.   Dio was a huge part of my life growing up in the 80's.

#3.  Megadeth/Slayer.   Slayer maybe more so nowadays because of the rebellious kid still in me.   

That is definitely my Holy Trinity of music.

Dramatist
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2011, 07:06:15 PM »

It has to be The Chameleons. 

They were never well known, and never had any mainstream success but they were brilliant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSyXorEmXqk Their 1983 song "Second Skin".  One of their best.
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2011, 07:30:15 PM »

Ok, maybe not my all-time favourite, but Great Big Sea is always awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MD0XihILQzk

Then another of my favourites is Carbon Leaf. They rock pretty hard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1zs2yezmkE
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 08:07:17 PM by Rumpy » Logged
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2011, 08:52:20 PM »

Quote from: Rumpy on April 06, 2011, 07:30:15 PM

While GBS is musically very out of character for me, I really like their stuff.  In fact, their concert was one of - of not the #1 - funnest show I have ever been to.  GBS somehow got put on the schedule of one of the performing arts facilities up in Park City.  This facility sold "season tickets", which typically consisted of monthly performances like ballet, modern dance, symphonies, new age artists, etc.  For the GBS show, they also opened it up to the general public to buy tickets.  So about 50% of the audience were elderly season ticket holders who likely had no idea who GBS were (and were probably expecting something Enya-ish), and the other 50% were those of us who knew all the words to every song and planned on fully participating in the show.

Dancing a jig (poorly, I might add) up and down the aisles of a stuffy concert hall while the horrified season ticket holders either gawked at us or stormed out was simply...epic.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2011, 08:58:08 PM »

Quote from: Jag on April 06, 2011, 01:32:23 PM

I like the cut of your jib. Also either Zeppelin or the Stones.

Playing: ? 360 | FO: New Vegas | BF4 PC / 360 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2011, 02:43:08 AM »

Nice bands all. I know about all of them. Especially the 70's / 80's one. And yes I know Alan Parsons Project even smile

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2011, 02:43:49 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on April 06, 2011, 04:09:25 PM

<-------

every time I see that out of the corner of my eye I think of REM Monster  icon_lol

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
hispanicgamer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2011, 02:23:52 PM »

The Jam

The Jam - The Modern World

" I enjoy Jizz in my pants as well. " - Harkonis
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2011, 07:30:44 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on April 06, 2011, 08:52:20 PM

Quote from: Rumpy on April 06, 2011, 07:30:15 PM

While GBS is musically very out of character for me, I really like their stuff.  In fact, their concert was one of - of not the #1 - funnest show I have ever been to.  GBS somehow got put on the schedule of one of the performing arts facilities up in Park City.  This facility sold "season tickets", which typically consisted of monthly performances like ballet, modern dance, symphonies, new age artists, etc.  For the GBS show, they also opened it up to the general public to buy tickets.  So about 50% of the audience were elderly season ticket holders who likely had no idea who GBS were (and were probably expecting something Enya-ish), and the other 50% were those of us who knew all the words to every song and planned on fully participating in the show.

Dancing a jig (poorly, I might add) up and down the aisles of a stuffy concert hall while the horrified season ticket holders either gawked at us or stormed out was simply...epic.

I can only imagine. I've heard of that particular story before somewhere else. They're a great live band, and they're one of the few bands I see touring constantly, both throughout most of Canada and most of the US. Most of the exposure comes from word of mouth and concerts where people don't know what to expect. Most of the time, people come away being very impressed with them.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2011, 01:09:09 AM »

I was just watching the Don't Answer Me video from APP. Man .

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2011, 01:24:12 AM »

Quote from: Razgon on April 06, 2011, 10:06:55 AM

wasn't that an evil plan by Dr. Evil?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2011, 05:07:39 PM »

I've spent many days thinking this over as I don't want to give a cop-out answer where I list 10 bands as my favorite (or runners-up or whatever).  I wanted to give one.  THE one.  I think after much deliberation, it is Pink Floyd.  The band that I never get tired of listening to and whose favorite albums by them are not the big ones like Dark Side of the Moon or The Wall, but the less listened to ones like The Final Cut and Animals.  Amazing band.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2011, 02:47:37 AM »

Dave Matthews Band.  I won't swear that everything they've done is the bestest evar! (Busted Stuff  disgust ), but I consistently enjoy their CDs and concerts.  Yes, I know there are plenty of people that can't stand them, but I've been listening to them ever since college, for over 15 years, and I have yet to find anyone that I like more that I stick with for such a long period.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: