http://gamingtrend.com
October 24, 2014, 11:12:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: It's September 2013, How's Your Year Been?  (Read 510 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: September 05, 2013, 01:13:33 PM »

I'd rate 2013 a solid B so far.

Pros
  • Have lost 30 lbs
  • Everyone has been REMARKABLY healthy
  • Work for the first 3 months was exciting and challenging
  • Have learned a TON about how to Project Manage
  • Discovered biking
  • Read some great books
  • Have been getting a lot of interviews for new jobs

Cons

• $$$ dwindling away and we just cannot figure out how to do anything other than survive financially
  • Have no insurance due to contract nature of work (even though we're healhy routine visits for kids add up fast)
  • Work since April has been a bit of a chore and consistent source of some stress
  • Gaming has become something I do because I always have, not necessarily something I really enjoy anymore. Last of US is an exception
  • While the interviews almost all go well, I can't seem to break out of the top 2 candidates and haven't been hired (though there was a job I got, but couldn't be hired for because of an administrative error. That was frustrating)
  • Lots of my friends seem to be having a really hard time this year in many different areas
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 02:03:37 PM »

I have no idea how to rate this year.  I've got a mix of some of the worst tragedies of my life and some of the best joys of my life.  Plus, some of the horrible tragedies (unexpected deaths in family) directly led to some very positive events (stupid internal family feuds being set aside for the first time in decades.)

I guess I'd say it ranks solidly as "holy shit what a year"
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 02:24:34 PM »

Okay, really depends on how this upcoming colonoscopy goes on the 17th.   I’ve been having upper and lower GI issues for years, but lately things have been worse. 

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 03:02:24 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on September 05, 2013, 02:24:34 PM

Okay, really depends on how this upcoming colonoscopy goes on the 17th.   I’ve been having upper and lower GI issues for years, but lately things have been worse. 

Which prep are you using, Soulchilde? If they want you using GoLYTELY, ask for other options. That stuff will make your year feel considerably worse. Had my 2nd one earlier this year, and the prep was so much easier, but can't remember the name. You may have to be more for an alt prep, depending on your insurance, but worth every penny if you can swing it. The stuff you had to drink was a much smaller quantity, and was more gentle. You still have to drink a fair bit of liquid with it, but can drink almost anything you want. Overall volume is less and you aren't trying to gag down a gallon of that swill.

Back on topic, this year has been much better than last, which was pretty miserable for most of it.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 03:04:44 PM by Misguided » Logged

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 03:19:55 PM »

This year has been an solid A.

Pros:
-  The Wonder Twins arrival has been exciting, amazing, frustrating, and stressful...all of which I expected.  I think we're coming up on the tail end of the "screaming for 8 hours a day" phase (knock on wood).  They're starting to sleep a little better at night, which is doing wonders for my sanity.
-  Our other daughter (4.5) is really coming into her own and is an absolute blast to be around.  She's the funniest and sweetest person I know.  smile
-  Wrapped up our fiscal year last Friday and while I didn't hit my goal, I did remarkably well given the sequestration and other political bullshit going on right now (I sell solely to federal agencies).  I'm about as secure as one can get in a commissioned sales job, my boss loves me, senior management is starting to take notice, and I'm making good money.  My boss also changed my role so I don't have to travel as much.
-  Everyone has been remarkably healthy (again, knock on wood)

Cons:
-  The downside of kicking ass at work is that it has gone from 45-50 hour work weeks to 55-60 hour work weeks.
-  Lots of extra work hours + two screaming babies + very little sleep = no time or energy to work out.  I've gained back the 20 lbs I lost last year, and have probably packed on a few more as well.  I really need to get my diet under control and get back to the gym...I just have so little motivation.
-  Between work and babies, stress levels have been through the roof.
-  Don't have much time to game anymore.
-  I've gone a long time without any major illness, deaths, job loss, etc.  This probably sounds strange, but I can't shake the feeling that I'm way overdue for a karmic kick in the ass.

All told, the pros way outweigh the cons and have made for a pretty awesome year.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 03:51:19 PM »

It's been uneventful, which is the best that I hope for. Boring is good. No tragedies, no disasters, no deaths. The worst I can say is that my business is down by 20% for my first real year-over-year sales decline. Oh, and my wife's had a cough for 10 weeks now, but two doctors have said it's probably pertussis, which can hang on for a very long time but eventually clears up on its own. Damned annoying, but not life threatening.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2013, 04:19:01 PM »

Deliberately silent.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2013, 04:31:04 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on September 05, 2013, 03:02:24 PM

Which prep are you using, Soulchilde? If they want you using GoLYTELY, ask for other options. That stuff will make your year feel considerably worse. Had my 2nd one earlier this year, and the prep was so much easier, but can't remember the name. You may have to be more for an alt prep, depending on your insurance, but worth every penny if you can swing it. The stuff you had to drink was a much smaller quantity, and was more gentle. You still have to drink a fair bit of liquid with it, but can drink almost anything you want. Overall volume is less and you aren't trying to gag down a gallon of that swill.

Back on topic, this year has been much better than last, which was pretty miserable for most of it.

I want to say the stuff I used was called Movieprep or close to that, it's been a few years.

This year same as last year.  Steady as she goes.  Get back to me in two years, I expect changes then.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2013, 04:46:25 PM »

And Off-Topic is now officially more full of shit than Politics & Religion!   icon_wink
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2013, 05:02:05 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on September 05, 2013, 03:02:24 PM

Miralax mixed with Gator-aid.  Have to be clear liquids starting on Monday.  Not looking forward to this procedure.  I have been heeding my physicians advice and not googling  my symptioms. 

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2013, 05:27:58 PM »

I'd give this one a B:

Pros:

- Work going very well
- Have been able to do some fun things with family/friends
- Got more games completed this year than in years past
- Reached my goal weight of 180, net loss of around 24 pounds since Jan 2012
- Have been doing well with running/working out and feel like I'm in the best shape of my life
- Due to the above, was able to stop taking cholesterol meds for the first time in 8 years

Cons:

- Mom was diagnosed with breast cancer last month. Fortunately they caught it *extremely* early and she is expected to make a full recovery. Still, it was a very scary time.
- Due to above was unable to take some of the vacations we had planned for this year.

Forecast:

- Looking really good. Highly anticipating a fun trip next month with my brother, as well as the impending new console launches. Also running a couple more 5Ks. Took up disc golf as a hobby and looking forward to getting into that a little more often. November/Christmas is going to be an orgy of console gaming the likes of which hasn't been seen since 2005.  icon_biggrin
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 05:29:42 PM by YellowKing » Logged
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2013, 06:42:07 PM »

I turned 40 and didn't have a nervous breakdown or a heart attack, so I can't complain.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2013, 06:57:42 PM »

A good video for mid-year introspection.

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2013, 07:27:09 PM »

pros:

going back to college is turning out way better than I expected it to.

cons:

yeah, not going to talk about it  disgust

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2013, 07:33:46 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on September 05, 2013, 06:42:07 PM

I turned 40 and didn't have a nervous breakdown or a heart attack, so I can't complain.

[NOT FLIRTING]You just turned 40?!  You could easily pass for being at least 5 years younger.[/NOT FLIRTING]

Wait, does that bbcode make it so everything outside of the brackets is being declared flirting?  Dammit.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2013, 07:36:39 PM »

get a room!

Because I can,
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2013, 07:37:49 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on September 05, 2013, 06:42:07 PM

TimelessTeggy.

Always figured you were a few years  younger than me. Not more than a year older.  The world is upside down!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2013, 07:47:39 PM »

I can't believe I'm about to turn 40 in just under 4 months.  Probably should do something big for it.

Because I can,
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2013, 07:52:11 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 05, 2013, 07:47:39 PM

I can't believe I'm about to turn 40 in just under 4 months.  Probably should do something big for it.

Colonoscopy?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2013, 07:57:04 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on September 05, 2013, 07:52:11 PM

Colonoscopy?

ugh... other than a tetanus booster a few years back I don't think I have had to visit a doctor since the late 90's, and the last time before that was in '89 when I needed an health exam to get a workers permit (stupid law the town I lived in had, if you were under 18 you had to get one).  sure, I get colds but never run to the doctor for them.

Because I can,
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2013, 08:05:40 PM »

I'd give it a decent grade.  Not super awesome, but certainly better than yours.

Pro: Resigned from a big corp job in June to take a position at a startup.
Con: Startup world isn't as awesome as I remembered and it turns out that maybe I just don't really like working at all (shocking revelation).

Pro: Home life is still generally great. Lovely girlfriend, nice house, zero pressure for kids/marriage. Fantastic really.
Con: Total missed opportunities to bang random hot girls.

Pro: Finances are still moving nicely. Took a significant pay cut to do the startup thing, but factored that into the budget and all worked out as expected. Investments are doing well.
Con: Still live in a comically expensive part of the country. Am no closer to owning a castle.

Pro: Started off the year great in physical fitness. Completed a Run For Your Life Event.
Con: Major shoulder issue caused me to shut down almost all physical activity for a few months... feels like I lost everything I gained. Trying to find the motivation to get back at it.

Pro: In general my sports teams are doing well. Got to see the Kings raise the Stanley Cup Banner in person. Cried like a little bitch.
Con: 49ers lost the Superbowl. In New Orleans. In the last few minutes. I attended in person. Probably cried like a little bitch. Do not really remember specifically as I then drowned my sorrows in approximately 20 shots of Fireball.

Pro: Got the girlfriend a new puppy in July to play with our older (7 years) dog.
Con: In August, older dog ripped hip is other knee and is now rehabbing. Should recover just fine, but still a bummer. Puppies are still bullshit.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2013, 08:09:51 PM »

I can't believe I'm about to turn 40 in just under 4 months.  Probably should do something big for it.

First Teggy and now you!?   I guess people don't get better with age... 'tarded!

Also, all these old people cluttering up the place.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2013, 08:17:46 PM »

Colonoscopy?

I think that's generally 50 unless you have risk factors.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2013, 08:54:53 PM »

Quote from: coopasonic on September 05, 2013, 08:17:46 PM

Colonoscopy?

I think that's generally 50 unless you have risk factors.

You're thinking of the ones that are used as preventative screenings.  I'm referring to a colonoscopy just for shits & giggles.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2013, 08:58:00 PM »

I've had one. Shits yes, giggles no.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2013, 11:28:24 PM »

The fiancee and I began cohabitating in a new place, been unemployed for the last three months.  

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

Quote from: McBa1n
http://www.vuvuzela.fm BVVVVVVVVVVVRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2013, 11:44:25 PM »

If I had to give this year a grade, I'd go with a C.  Some things are going fine, some things not as well as one would hope.  Certainly could be a lot worse (and has been in the past), but it's not amazing either.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2013, 11:55:24 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on September 05, 2013, 07:33:46 PM

[NOT FLIRTING]You just turned 40?!  You could easily pass for being at least 5 years younger.[/NOT FLIRTING]

Wait, does that bbcode make it so everything outside of the brackets is being declared flirting?  Dammit.

Aw shucks. Well, yes, the reasonably youthful looking genes run in my family. We're no Dick Clarks, but it doesn't hurt. Plenty of cholesterol and heart attacks too, but we're blessed where it counts, right? The fact that I act incredibly immaturely helps with the image, as well as that I married 6 years younger than me. CradleRobberTeggy.

And CeeKay, I'm sorry you and Hepcat didn't work out. You don't have to talk about it, it's ok.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 11:57:26 PM by Teggy » Logged

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2013, 12:15:35 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on September 05, 2013, 11:55:24 PM

And CeeKay, I'm sorry you and Hepcat didn't work out. You don't have to talk about it, it's ok.

<sigh>, sometimes that which burns most brightly fades away all too quickly.

Because I can,
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2013, 05:48:24 PM »

Pretty good considering I went on a dream trip with my Dad by travelling all the way from Northern Ontario to California and spending 3 weeks on the road.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: