http://gamingtrend.com
April 16, 2014, 04:44:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: It's Hockey time again!  (Read 2088 times)
Canuck
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I live in Japan

View Profile
« on: September 21, 2008, 10:23:49 AM »

Or so my computer tells me, as I see that the Sens squeaked out a win over the Rangers?  Any thoughts or prognostications about the upcoming season?  I predict that the Leafs will probably start strong in their upcoming defense of last year's championship title and they have a good chance to make it four in a row this year-a real dynasty!  My life has gotten so much better since the Leafs started winning Stanley Cups again! biggrin
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 03:34:04 PM »

Going to a Canucks game this seasons - totally psyched biggrin

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
addybojangles on GameCenter
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008, 03:58:45 PM »

If I watch one NHL game this season it will be more than I watched all of last season.  I used to love watching hockey, I don't know what happened. 

depward

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2008, 04:29:14 PM »

Quote from: GatorFavre on September 21, 2008, 03:58:45 PM

If I watch one NHL game this season it will be more than I watched all of last season.  I used to love watching hockey, I don't know what happened. 

It was a lot easier to watch when ESPN showed games.  I actually find it hard to tune into Versus HD to watch for whatever reason...

I'm ordering NHL Center Ice.  That way, I'll have to make myself watch a ton of hockey this season   nod

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2008, 05:29:33 PM »

Tickets to Kings @ Sharks on Oct 11 - Purchased.
Tickets to Sharks @ Kings on Oct 12 - Purchased.
Flight to LA on Oct 12 - Purchased.

Yes... I am ready.

gellar
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2008, 06:22:34 PM »

Going to two preseason games this week (Sens@NYR tomorrow, TBL@NYR Thursday).  Then Canucks@Capitals the day after my wedding, two Habs games on my honeymoon, and a ton of Rangers games after that.

Oh, I'm ready all right.

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2008, 08:39:38 PM »

Season: Devils start off slow, pick up steam when nobody is paying attention, take over first in the east around the middle of January, fall back through Feb and March, make a trade at the deadline that nobody understands but it helps the team a little, wind up seeded anywhere 4-6 in the playoffs, lose in the first round.

After season: Marty wins another Vezina as people say he plays too much. They need some offense and an offensive defenseman, but really don't pick them up as free agents and the whole thing starts again next October.

Sounds about right.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2008, 09:21:38 PM »

I want to try and go see the Red Wings when they play Denver in March.  Pricey, though... sheesh.
MamaCorleone
BANNED
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2008, 09:23:45 PM »

I hate this asshole - crap pic nuked by th'FOOL
« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 10:16:44 PM by th'FOOL » Logged
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2008, 09:44:57 PM »

Don't link to the pic please.  - warning

Err I don't get it-spam?  ban
« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 10:32:51 PM by warning » Logged
MamaCorleone
BANNED
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2008, 09:47:42 PM »

grrr
« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 10:17:04 PM by th'FOOL » Logged
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2008, 10:50:55 AM »

Sorry-I spoilered it so nobody could see but I guess I was leaving evidence.

Don't let the bastard ruin a good hockey thread! Leafs and Losers (oops I mean Sabres) on tonight.  I'm predicting a shellacking.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2008, 05:31:26 PM »

I'm curious to see the new faces on the Canucks, but I don't have very many expectations of success for them this year. It's going to be interesting to see if Demitra can get back on track and if Bernier can live up to expectations. If they make the playoffs they will have exceeded my expectations. Can't say I'm willing to pay the high ticket prices very often this year, but I'll probably catch the odd game when a team with a big name visits; will definitely be going to see the Capitals and Penguins if and when they roll into town. I'm curious about how well the Flames will do too, and whether Bertuzzi ends up being an asset or liability and whether coach Iron Mike survives the season there.

The league I actually follow the most is the Western Hockey League (WHL) and my hometown Vancouver Giants. Home opener is this weekend and I'll definitely be there sucking up the gameplay and suds. slywink  I'm not sure how well they'll do this year since almost every decent player they had has found their way into the NHL or AHL. I just hope Spokane is minus some of their top players as well, as they were truly formidable last year. The Giants are very well coached, so I have some hope they can repeat the cup winning seasons they had 2 and 3 years ago. On the other hand watching NHL games has become a bit more interesting for me due to the number of ex-WHL players.

BTW Does anyone know what's happening in this weeks episode of the Sundin soap opera?  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 05:57:29 PM by kronovan » Logged
DocD
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2008, 05:44:02 PM »

Going to Vegas this weekend to see the Kings play!

I'll see a game here and there on TV but probably won't get to go to any other games.

docD
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2008, 05:48:26 PM »

Quote from: DocD on September 22, 2008, 05:44:02 PM

Going to Vegas this weekend to see the Kings play!

I'll see a game here and there on TV but probably won't get to go to any other games.

docD

I forgot that was this weekend.  I am skipping out on my annual trip this year due to some scheduling conflicts, but that game is ALWAYS a good time.  Have fun!

gellar
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2008, 06:18:53 PM »

Got tix to two Sharks games.  Nov 8 vs. Dallas and March 14 vs LA ..... GO SHARKS!!!
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2008, 07:00:22 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on September 22, 2008, 05:31:26 PM

I'm curious to see the new faces on the Canucks, but I don't have very many expectations of success for them this year. It's going to be interesting to see if Demitra can get back on track and if Bernier can live up to expectations. If they make the playoffs they will have exceeded my expectations. Can't say I'm willing to pay the high ticket prices very often this year, but I'll probably catch the odd game when a team with a big name visits; will definitely be going to see the Capitals and Penguins if and when they roll into town. I'm curious about how well the Flames will do too, and whether Bertuzzi ends up being an asset or liability and whether coach Iron Mike survives the season there.

The league I actually follow the most is the Western Hockey League (WHL) and my hometown Vancouver Giants. Home opener is this weekend and I'll definitely be there sucking up the gameplay and suds. slywink  I'm not sure how well they'll do this year since almost every decent player they had has found their way into the NHL or AHL. I just hope Spokane is minus some of their top players as well, as they were truly formidable last year. The Giants are very well coached, so I have some hope they can repeat the cup winning seasons they had 2 and 3 years ago. On the other hand watching NHL games has become a bit more interesting for me due to the number of ex-WHL players.

BTW Does anyone know what's happening in this weeks episode of the Sundin soap opera?  Roll Eyes

I have tickets to the Vancouver - Pittsburgh game when the Canucks come to town this year!

icon_biggrin
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2008, 08:06:25 PM »

I'm interested to see what a Hossa-Datsyuk-Holmstrom line does to the rest of the NHL.

The Zetterberg/Franzen combo could be really interesting too...
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 08:08:27 PM by kratz » Logged
Semaj

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2008, 08:15:29 PM »

Sigh, remember when the sabres were good?

So long ago...  Now we'll prolly fight toronto for worst team in our division.

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2008, 08:21:25 PM »

Quote from: Semaj on September 22, 2008, 08:15:29 PM

Sigh, remember when the sabres were good?

So long ago...  Now we'll prolly fight toronto for worst team in our division.

With a 3-1 loss to the Montreal Canadiens on April 3, 2008 that eliminated the Sabres out of playoff contention, they became only the third team in NHL history to go from finishing first overall in the regular season standings to finishing out of the playoffs the following year. Both of the previous two teams to do so ended up winning the Stanley Cup the following year.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2008, 11:12:54 PM »

That's an interesteting fact! So they wen't from first, to missing the playoffs, to winning the Stanley Cup?

And the Sabres finished first overall? I remember them being good but I don't remember them being that good!
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2008, 11:41:12 PM »

06-07, Sabres were 53-22-7, 5 more wins than Ottawa, 4 more than New Jersey, 10 more than Atlanta, 3 more than Detroit, 4 more than Vancouver, and 5 more than Anaheim.  QFT

The Detroit Red Wings finished 1st (American division) in 1934, missed the playoffs in 1935, and won the Cup in 1936.
The New York Rangers finished 1st (Patrick division) in 1992, missed the playoffs in 1993, and won the Cup in 1994.

I had do some wiki digging to come up with the data.  The original quote didn't expand on the info or cite a source.

Semaj

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2008, 12:10:50 AM »

Isgrimnur is totally from buffalo

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2008, 12:27:55 AM »

Actually, I'm not.  Though I did spend three years located 7 degrees North and 84 degrees East of there, I have never been to Buffalo.

Semaj

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2008, 10:27:50 AM »

Bills/Sabres fan... either you enjoy pain and suffering or there is some reason you are not sharing.

Simply put, the sabres have digressed every off-season for the last 3 or 4 years because management is horrible with the players.  It's a fairly popular theory (I cant say from personal experience, but a few friends know sabres and it's been mentioned) the sabres management treats their players poorly and that's why they want to get the hell out of dodge.

You speak of No Goal, Music City miracle and Wide right like a true buffalonian...

You must explain your understanding of being a buffalo fan, and yet never really having been here.

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2008, 01:00:47 PM »

Quote from: Semaj on September 23, 2008, 10:27:50 AM

Simply put, the sabres have digressed every off-season for the last 3 or 4 years because management is horrible with the players.  It's a fairly popular theory (I cant say from personal experience, but a few friends know sabres and it's been mentioned) the sabres management treats their players poorly and that's why they want to get the hell out of dodge.

It's rumored here in Vancouver that this is one of the reasons Steve Bernier wound up here on the Canucks. I hope for the fans sake that the Sabres, along with the Canucks, can turn it around this year and make the playoffs.

On another note the Canucks won their season opener with a 4-3 shootout victory over the Oilers; no surprise about a Canucks-Oilers game going yet again to SO. A lot of local fans seemed to be impressed with the victory but I for 1 wasn't. I was however far less impressed with the ability of the Oilers to put the puck in the net; I mean come on, they couldn't find a way to score during 2, 3 -on- 5 powerplays! Of course the Canucks also managed to find a way to not score during a 5 minute penalty. Roll Eyes

The only thing that really impressed me was the solid goaltending of Cory Schneider -will be spending the season as the AHL Moose's starter- and the Canucks defence. Lots of local fans seemed to be gushing over -show up fat to camp- Kyle Wellwood who scored during the regular game and had a good shootout goal, but I personally though his 2-way play was horrible. Other than Ryan Kesler, Jeff Cowan, Jason Krog and rookie Dan Gendur I really thought the Canucks were fairly lack luster and in particular Daniel Sedin was almost invisible. In all fairness the Canucks were playing with out many of their stars whereas the Oilers were much closer to their true roster; local sports caster referred to it as a C+ vs B+ team scenario. And of course....this is only the preseason so what does it really mean anyways.  Roll Eyes
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2008, 02:27:08 PM »

Quote from: Semaj on September 23, 2008, 10:27:50 AM

Bills/Sabres fan... either you enjoy pain and suffering or there is some reason you are not sharing.

You speak of No Goal, Music City miracle and Wide right like a true buffalonian...

You must explain your understanding of being a buffalo fan, and yet never really having been here.

I grew up in Las Vegas, a town that has absolutely no ownership of any major sports franchise.  As such, you start rooting for who you like to watch.  I grew up watching Jim Kelly, Bruce Smith, Thurman Thomas, and Andre Reed.  After I moved to Texas, I took my lumps over their Super Bowl losses.  Once I started watching hockey, Buffalo had a good, dynamic team with Satan, Hasek, etc.  (And it didn't hurt that Dad is from Miami)

That being said, I'll watch players that I like to watch play.  I'll root for the Stars as long as they're not playing Buffalo.  But I can't stand the egocentricity of Jerry Jones.  I didn't like him when I lived 300 miles away and I certainly don't care for him now that I live in Dallas. 

As for all the heartbreaks, I watched all of them at the time.  I remember The Comeback, watched the entire game, was crushed when Norwood missed the FG, and was screaming at the TV when Hull put his foot in the crease and the Titans made their forward lateral.   icon_wink

Semaj

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2008, 07:36:23 PM »

I was in rochester for the playoff game, watched it all on tv.  I very much yelled at the Television set at whatever godawful morning hour it was when the game ended. 

Had I been at the game, I would have started a giant "In the crease" chant.  I think whoever was at the game did a disservice to buffalo for not screaming and raising hell.

I have never been more mad at the bills than the "comeback"... Took out the best chance the AFC had of winning the superbowl and having a good game (Houston played the redskins ridiculously well earlier in the season and lost when the field goal kicker missed two chances to win the game)

Giants fan first, we cant have the redskins winning no superbowls, o no.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 07:38:37 PM by Semaj » Logged

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2008, 07:47:54 PM »

Since the game was in Dallas, there was no way anybody would have paid attention to someone raising a ruckus except to have security eject you.

And, because I'm a Buffalo fan, the entire NFC East can suck it!   mad finger (Giants, Redskins, Cowboys *2)

Strike that, where's Pete?  Go Eagles!   Cool

CSL

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2008, 09:48:09 PM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on September 21, 2008, 03:34:04 PM

Going to a Canucks game this seasons - totally psyched biggrin

You bastard.
stimpy

I'm makin a move!!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2008, 09:51:57 PM »

After many, many years of watching my Blackhawks slide into the abyss because of an owner who was so out of touch with reality,
I have drank the kool-aid and purchased season tickets.
This after they FINALLY put all of the games on TV.

Dear Mr William Wirtz:
YOU WERE WRONG!!!!
All games on tv + unprecedented season ticket sales=fail for you and your business philosophy.

Dear Mr Rocky Wirtz:
THANK YOU!!!

Tonight is the first preseason game.
I am stoked.
Semaj

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2008, 10:42:53 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on September 23, 2008, 07:47:54 PM

Since the game was in Dallas, there was no way anybody would have paid attention to someone raising a ruckus except to have security eject you.

And, because I'm a Buffalo fan, the entire NFC East can suck it!   mad finger (Giants, Redskins, Cowboys *2)

Strike that, where's Pete?  Go Eagles!   Cool

It was definitely in buffalo, I had friends at the game

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2008, 02:40:19 AM »

After further review (which Buffalo did not receive the benefit of), I am wrong. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: