http://gamingtrend.com
April 18, 2014, 12:33:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is your SO very social?  (Read 1492 times)
Zekester
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: August 31, 2005, 12:10:56 AM »

SO, as in 'significant other'  :wink:

Ok, so most of us already know that we're not the most social people around.

So are any of you with someone that IS social?
Real social?

If so, have you run in to some problems because of it?
How have you been able to make it work?

Rest in Peace, Nan
XBL Schins67
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2005, 02:21:30 AM »

She used to be. Fortunately I've taught her to be more like me in that reguard.  :wink:

Ye Olde Farte
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2005, 02:25:38 AM »

Quote from: "Zekester"
SO, as in 'significant other'  :wink:

Ok, so most of us already know that we're not the most social people around.

So are any of you with someone that IS social?
Real social?

If so, have you run in to some problems because of it?
How have you been able to make it work?

Define in what context you mean "social". It seems like you are trying to indicate that its more than just regular "social", but I need some elaboration to give any advice.
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2005, 02:59:11 AM »

Social, as in it being very important that things are done with friends alot.

Social, as in sometimes making you feel left alone at parties while they're busy 'socializing' with others.

Stuff like that, I guess  :?

Rest in Peace, Nan
XBL Schins67
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2005, 03:14:02 AM »

Yes, FH is ultra-social. As in she drags me out to parties and events now as much as possible, and this will only increase once she's working for a law firm full time. Whee. biggrin

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2005, 03:25:27 AM »

Quote from: "whiteboyskim"
Yes, FH is ultra-social. As in she drags me out to parties and events now as much as possible, and this will only increase once she's working for a law firm full time. Whee. biggrin

At least you get to wear nice suits or even tuxes to those law firm socials. God do I love formal wear, and before anyone says anything-thats as manly as it gets.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2005, 03:31:50 AM »

Quote from: "Rage"

At least you get to wear nice suits or even tuxes to those law firm socials. God do I love formal wear, and before anyone says anything-thats as manly as it gets.

There is nothing worse than formal wear.  Nothing.  Well... maybe Ikea.  But other than that, nothing.

As far as the original topic, Nancy is quite social, but no moreso than I.  She's fantastic with strangers, but doesn't tend to develop relationships as frequently as I do.  However, at a company function or dinner event, she's fuckin fantastic.  I truly believe I wouldn't be where I am today career-wise if  she hadn't been my date to numerous events.

gellar
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2005, 03:37:24 AM »

I truly believe I wouldn't be where I am today career-wise if she hadn't been my date to numerous events.

Ouch, that one may end up biting you in the ass if it ever ends up in divorce court  :wink:

Rest in Peace, Nan
XBL Schins67
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2005, 03:40:16 AM »

I truly believe I wouldn't be where I am today career-wise if she hadn't been my date to numerous events.

Ouch, that one may end up biting you in the ass if it ever ends up in divorce court  :wink:

Well... I'm not married, thank god.  And while California is a community property state, there are no common law marriages here, so I'm safe there.

She's an attorney though, so I'm royally fucked if I do decide to get married.  Thank god we're both for prenups.

gellar
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2005, 03:57:13 AM »

Quote from: "gellar"

There is nothing worse than formal wear.  Nothing.  Well... maybe Ikea.  But other than that, nothing.

As far as the original topic, Nancy is quite social, but no moreso than I.  She's fantastic with strangers, but doesn't tend to develop relationships as frequently as I do. gellar

Does that include your love affairs with ronin and tilt?

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2005, 01:34:55 PM »

My IO is very social, but she understands I'm borderline antisocial.

Also, TTIWWP.  Show me yours, I'll show you mine.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2005, 01:40:51 PM »

Does it cause any problems between you two, LE?

Rest in Peace, Nan
XBL Schins67
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2005, 02:00:52 PM »

No, not really.  But we're closer to friends-with-benefits or an open relationship than a traditional one, so I guess it'd be different if you were actually trying to, you know, be in love with someone.

I mean, we go out and are obviously in locations where other people are, like theatres, restaurants, malls, downtown locations and whatnot, but we don't go to what I term 'social-requisite events,' like parties/dances/clubs together.  

She's a big party girl at her college, always smashed on the weekends, always at a different party, gets lonely if she doesn't get her gossip/small talk fix, etc.  I'm pretty much the opposite, parties depress the hell out of me, alcohol's more trouble than it's worth, and I couldn't small talk my way out of a paper bag.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Dramatist
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2005, 06:19:42 PM »

My wife and I are both pretty social.  Although I'm much more social around friends than acquaintances.  We don't exactly party a whole lot though because we are mid 30s and have kids.

Our whole family is active in the Community Theatre though.  And one of the best parts of that are the cast parties. smile
Qbe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2005, 08:09:13 PM »

My wife is even more antisocial than I am.  I have to push her out the door even to meet friends on occasion.

We could easily hole up in a compound on a mountain somewhere, leaving only occasionally for supplies, and we'd be perfectly happy.  Since I'm a telecommuter we're practically there already, except for living in the city.  

Well, ok, I do need to get out of the house and see other humans sometimes.

Now playing: Suikoden 2 [PSX], Neverwinter Nights 2 [PC]
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2005, 09:50:43 PM »

God do I love formal wear, and before anyone says anything-thats as manly as it gets.

Tuxedos suck.  I hate the look of them and hate the feel even more.  Nobody looks good in one.  Nobody!  Especially me.

I wear a tie every day.  I got used to it.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2005, 10:35:17 PM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"
No, not really.  But we're closer to friends-with-benefits or an open relationship than a traditional one, so I guess it'd be different if you were actually trying to, you know, be in love with someone.

I mean, we go out and are obviously in locations where other people are, like theatres, restaurants, malls, downtown locations and whatnot, but we don't go to what I term 'social-requisite events,' like parties/dances/clubs together.  

She's a big party girl at her college, always smashed on the weekends, always at a different party, gets lonely if she doesn't get her gossip/small talk fix, etc.  I'm pretty much the opposite, parties depress the hell out of me, alcohol's more trouble than it's worth, and I couldn't small talk my way out of a paper bag.

I have to ask, sorry... But how did you meet her in the first place? Not being able to small-talk my way out of a paper bag either makes it really hard for me to meet people, and I'm somewhat antisocial as well. What the hell did you do? biggrin
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2005, 11:30:33 PM »

Quote from: "Qbe"
My wife is even more antisocial than I am.  I have to push her out the door even to meet friends on occasion.

We could easily hole up in a compound on a mountain somewhere, leaving only occasionally for supplies, and we'd be perfectly happy.  Since I'm a telecommuter we're practically there already, except for living in the city.  

Well, ok, I do need to get out of the house and see other humans sometimes.

I can't even fathom the idea of having a woman more anti-social than me  :shock:

But I think that I'd like it.

Rest in Peace, Nan
XBL Schins67
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2005, 02:32:25 AM »

Quote from: "Raven VII"
I have to ask, sorry... But how did you meet her in the first place? Not being able to small-talk my way out of a paper bag either makes it really hard for me to meet people, and I'm somewhat antisocial as well. What the hell did you do? biggrin
We met at work.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2005, 03:14:23 AM »

Quote from: "stiffler"
God do I love formal wear, and before anyone says anything-thats as manly as it gets.

Tuxedos suck.  I hate the look of them and hate the feel even more.  Nobody looks good in one.  Nobody!  Especially me.

I wear a tie every day.  I got used to it.

Its just bullshit. I can think of a dozen singers-actors-famous people that wear Tuxedo's like a glove, and to be blunt-I know I look good in one smile In fact, I think I look better the more formal the clothes get. And a good tuxedo-not some peice of crap 50$ rental-feels fantastic on the body and is very comfortable.
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2005, 03:37:20 AM »

I figure I'm getting more socialable with age. I don't threaten people as much as I use to. :?

Ye Olde Farte
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2005, 07:20:22 AM »

I would love it if my SO were very social, well, when I find someone.

But the point is she could bring me out to these places I wouldn't normally think to go, and help me meet new people.

Heavens knows I really need the practice.  I'm not antisocial, just so inexperienced at meeting and talking to people that I get too anxious to try.

Thinking about it, I should probably enlist some of you guys in the SoCal area to help me out in that regard.  Any gatherings happening in the Orange County, CA area soon?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: