http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 09:45:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Uwe Boll really that bad?  (Read 2655 times)
corruptrelic
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: February 16, 2006, 01:15:50 AM »

I won't go out on a limb and say his movies are the best out there, but they're definitely far from the worst.
On the GT homepage there's a link to an interview with him and of course some more bashing comments before you can get to the link.

I've seen everything from house of the dead, alone in the dark to bloodrayne.
House of the dead wasn't that great, but alone in the dark, was definitely a decent movie. Almost felt like some battles were ripped right out of half-life with the squad combat.
And Bloodrayne.. I'm still fixated on the fight between Rayne and Katarin (Michelle Rodriguez) while they were under the water..   :?  I don't know there's just something pretty damn sexy about two women going at it (in love or war if you know what I mean)
Was Bloodrayne the movie of 2006? Of course not, but was it the worst one either? Hell no!
I actually enjoyed it, it was a sexy, violent, vampire movie and was good at it. The battle scenes were great and the storyline was there. And as a sdie bonuses, you get to see Rayne's breasts..  :wink:

I've talked to Uwe Boll a little over the time (online) and he seems like a good guy, just wanting to bring video games to the big screen FOR US - the gamers.
In his latest interview he's made that even ever so more apparent. It's a shame to see he might consider giving up video game movies because of all the bashing, because if not for him, who else?

Again, I'm not saying Boll's movies are gold, but then again, they aren't crap either.
I'm curious how many else actually saw Bloodrayne here, before bashing it? If it were the same exact movie, but just a different director's name, do you think the reviews might not have been so biased against it?

All I'm really saying is, even if some of us hate his guts, that he's doing movies because he wants to make us, the gamers, happy to see our favorite games come to the big screen.
Before we all go out and start bashing Dungeon Siege now (which by the way - is coming out as a ONE PART movie, not two) how about we at least give it a chance and the benefit of the doubt that just maybe, it end up being a decent movie after all?

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
unbreakable
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2006, 01:27:06 AM »

No!  This is the internet!  We don't have to be fair or even well informed!

Kidding aside, I can't really bash him, since I havent seen any of his movies.  And I really like the Resident Evil movies, even though they get bashed.

[edit]  OMG, I just realized something.  CORRUPTRELIC IS TEH UWE BOOLLZZ!!!!!!
ScubaV

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2006, 02:57:07 AM »

I haven't seen any of his movies due to popular contempt, though I haven't played any of those games so I might not have seen them anyway unless the reviews were excellent.  However, the whole German tax loophole sounds very fishy.  And I wouldn't trust anything he said online.  Maybe if I could talk to him in person I might decide he's not working an elaborate scheme, but I haven't and I won't so who knows?  I guess when the Germans close that loophole we'll find out by whether or not he's still doing movies.

I have absolute faith in the power of people to be stupid.

My vision is augmented.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2006, 04:38:48 AM »

The key here is that he doesn't respect his source material.

Alone in the Dark could have been a much better movie, and a much cheaper movie, if they set it in it's more appropriate locale of a haunted mansion, and with the ghosts and creeps of the game.

Admittedly, a lot of the material he uses there isn't much to respect in the first place, I mean Dungeon Siege?  There was a story to the game?  You have to ask why he's even making a movie for this game.  Considering all the crap titles he's gotten his hands on, I really do think he's making movies just to exploit that tax loophole, which is now closed.  Now that he can't get funding to make more movies, he's trying to fix his image.

You could say he's just making films, but just making something isn't enough.
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2006, 05:14:13 AM »

Sure, Uwe Boll may indeed be a nice guy, but his movies are kinda not very good. At all.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2006, 01:24:17 PM »

Quote from: "Turtle"
Admittedly, a lot of the material he uses there isn't much to respect in the first place, I mean Dungeon Siege?  There was a story to the game?  You have to ask why he's even making a movie for this game.  

Of course there was a story. You started as a farmer...and sorta did stuff...and somehow you ended up saving the world.

If that isn't a perfectly good movie story, then... Aw, forget it. I can't keep a straight face that long. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Andrew Wonser

A porcupine quilt made of porcupine quills.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2006, 12:40:57 AM »

Because it bears repeating.

http://www.somethingawful.com/articles.php?a=2649

The man is a hack simply put.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2006, 02:53:26 AM »

Yes.
Hapfloyde
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2006, 03:47:47 AM »

Because it bears repeating.

http://www.somethingawful.com/articles.php?a=2649

The man is a hack simply put.

About halfway through that article my computer started playing Metallica's "The Thing That Should Not Be".  I can't think of a more apropriate theme song for the man.

Ha, ha, ha. You have struck Hercules!
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2006, 07:06:38 AM »

Whoah, after reading that I don't feel bad for him at all.  Well maybe a little.  

Anyone see "The Producers"?

I get the feeling like he's a completely deluded guy that some producers picked to make bad movies that would completely bomb, thus allowing them to use the tax loophole to make money.

However, with the way he deliberately chose sets based on how cheap they were instead of based on the story makes me think he knew what was going on.

The funny thing is, those scripts the writers game him would probably have been cheaper in to film in the first place.
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2006, 12:00:26 PM »

Oh he makes bad movies, thats for sure. However I don't think thats a crime.  I also don't know why gamers get upset over him doing game to movie translations. Most people expect movies based on games to suck and Owe fulfills our expectations.

Andrew Wonser

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2006, 02:10:09 PM »

The problem is for the longest time we expected comic translations to be horrible as well. It took a talented director/writer to prove us wrong. When some ass keeps making bad movies to such an extent that the fans it aims to bring in throw up their hands and say why bother. A good director, and to a greater extent the studio, is more likely to pass over something that could have made a good film.
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2006, 02:14:24 PM »

Quote from: "Calvin"
Yes.

+1

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2006, 08:19:30 PM »

+1

So now it all sort of balances itself back out again.  :wink:

I read the linked article and even if it's 100% accurate, that's just by ONE guy. I mean there are ex-postal employees who go around bashing the postal office and yet the U.S. mail still gets delivered 6 days a week.
There are people who used to work for Sony who are terminated for "talking too much" negative about the ps3 and get fired, yet, sooner or later the ps3 is going to be released regardless and millions are going to love it.
There is a guy who used to work at McDonalds who always bashes them and their pay, yet during his lunch break he heads over there for a quarter pounder with cheese meal.

Really.. I think the only way for anyone to draw a real conclusion on Mr.Boll is to actually SEE his movies.
Am I the only one here who even saw Bloodrayne, yet I'm the only one not bashing it?

None of us have had the chance to see Dungeon Siege yet, so what if it really does turn out to be a good movie? Will we be able to admit it and not let our biases against the director get in the way?

DOOM didn't follow the exact storyline either (which btw wasn't by Uwe Boll) but was still a great movie. It wasn't received as well by hardcore doom fans as it could have been.
Maybe, for those who haven't played the games, watching the movie can be a pretty decent experience.
Personally I've played Bloodrayne and while the movie didn't seem exactly the same, I really didn't care. It was a decent movie following the very basics of a video game, from the costume, to the weapons, and to somewhat the plot of having to kill her evil vampire father.

I guess when people make up their minds though there's not really much you can say to change them.
Love him or hate him, you gotta admit if it weren't for Mr.Boll there'd be a lot less video game movies.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
unbreakable
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2006, 09:20:46 PM »

If there is a movie with the title from a video game, and it has nothing to do with the story/premise/whatever from the game, has a video game movie really been made?

It's kind of like "I, Robot".  Even though the movie had the title and character names from Asimov's books, you can't really claim it was an "Isaac Asimov" movie.  This is a separate issue from whether it is a good movie or not; even if it's a spectacular movie, it still will never be an Asimov movie.
walTer

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2006, 10:45:36 PM »

late but....

To answer the original question- Yes, yes he is THAT bad.

As for not being a crime, well in a way it is becuase now we will never see a good Bloodrayne movie, or a good Dungeon Siege movie or a good Alone in the Dark movie-- never, because Uwe already screwed them up.

Now by good, I would accept watchable...and Uwe's movies ain't.

Is he smart?  Shrewd? Laughing all the way to the bank- oh hell yes, at our expense.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2006, 12:13:14 AM »

Well, it isn't fair to say he screwed up Dungeon Siege yet, unless you've already seen it?

Due to how poorly Bloodrayne sold I hardly think he's laughing all the way to the bank when the movie lost so much.

I'm not saying the movies are exactly video game to movie quality, but if you look at all of them, there's definitely a very basic amount of the game brought to the movie, even for house of the dead.
Bloodrayne? Sure.. same costumes, weapons, going to kill her evil vampire father.. having played the game, all that stuff was in there.

SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2006, 12:30:19 AM »

Didn't you just rip the shit out of AoEIII a few weeks ago?  

AoEIII is a much better game than Uwe Boll's shit is a movie.

Just Hiro will do.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2006, 12:54:58 AM »

Didn't you just rip the shit out of AoEIII a few weeks ago?

If agreeing with another poster that taking the "Auto-Attack" move out of the game is "ripping the shit out of it" then by all means, I ripped the shit out of that SOB!

AoEIII is a much better game than Uwe Boll's shit is a movie.

Certainly an opinion you're entitled to. I'm open-minded and say what I feel, but I can't come to bash Boll's movies because I like them.
Age of Empires 3, not a bad game at all, but not worth $50, IMO. Being primarly a singleplayer, seems each time I play the AI I'm finding more and more weaknesses with it, apparently they can't even play island maps (Carribean)..

However I'm still witholding judgement on Dungeon Siege because it's not even out yet. After I see it, then I'll draw my conclusion on if it needs to be bashed or not. However bashing a movie that you haven't even seen is like bashing a game you haven't even played.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2006, 08:26:20 AM »

Technically, we've seen Dungeon Siege's crappy trailer, and its director and whole production line is well known for the crap it produces.
unbreakable
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2006, 08:42:05 PM »

Well hey, let's be honest here.  Even Peter Jackson couldn't make a good Dungeon Seige moving which was true to the source material, since the story was boring and stupid anyway.

In a way, maybe it's a good pick for Uwe.  Since he puts whatever story he damn well pleases into the movie anyway, the DS movie starts out as an empty vessel by it's very nature.
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2006, 01:48:47 AM »

Quote from: "corruptrelic"

I read the linked article and even if it's 100% accurate, that's just by ONE guy. I mean there are ex-postal employees who go around bashing the postal office and yet the U.S. mail still gets delivered 6 days a week.
There are people who used to work for Sony who are terminated for "talking too much" negative about the ps3 and get fired, yet, sooner or later the ps3 is going to be released regardless and millions are going to love it.
There is a guy who used to work at McDonalds who always bashes them and their pay, yet during his lunch break he heads over there for a quarter pounder with cheese meal.

Blah blah blah, let's get to the meat of your points.  Everything above is  a  non sequitur.

Really.. I think the only way for anyone to draw a real conclusion on Mr.Boll is to actually SEE his movies.
Am I the only one here who even saw Bloodrayne, yet I'm the only one not bashing it?

I saw the first 30 minutes of it.  It was awful.  I fell asleep.  It got a whopping 7% at RottenTomatoes.  Users only gave it 17%.  So while you're NOT the only one who liked it, you're in very select company.

None of us have had the chance to see Dungeon Siege yet, so what if it really does turn out to be a good movie? Will we be able to admit it and not let our biases against the director get in the way?

You're right, we haven't seen it.  Perhaps it will turn out to be a masterpiece.  But, and this is no exaggeration, that trailer was simply the worst trailer I have ever seen.  It actually beats a horror movie made back in the mid-80s called "The Stuff" for worst trailer of all time.  We at least could laugh through the trailer for that one.  Watching this trailer was like watching a car wreck in slo-mo.  Excapt the car wreck would have been more entertaining.

DOOM didn't follow the exact storyline either (which btw wasn't by Uwe Boll) but was still a great movie. It wasn't received as well by hardcore doom fans as it could have been.

You actually called DOOM a great movie?  A GREAT movie?  No.  Lord of the Rings is a great movie.  Schindler's List is a great movie.  Gone With The Wind is a great movie.  Psycho is a great movie.  DOOM is not, in any way, shape or form, a great movie.  

Of course, Uwe Boll didn't direct DOOM.  So it's kind of beside the point.

Maybe, for those who haven't played the games, watching the movie can be a pretty decent experience.

Yes, and perhaps sticking a fork in your eyeball can be pleasurable too.

Love him or hate him, you gotta admit if it weren't for Mr.Boll there'd be a lot less video game movies.

And this is somehow a good thing?

Uwe Boll's movies, and their ratings...

7% BloodRayne  
1% Alone in the Dark  
6% House of the Dead  
13% Blackwoods

Can anyone find a director that has made 4 movies straight with ratings as low as these?  Seriously, to get that low, you're looking at making 4 straight movies with the critical acclaim of Weekend at Bernie's 2.  That's not an easy task.

Even Paul Anderson, he of the awful AvP, Event Horizion and Solider flicks doesn't compare.

Dean Semler, he of Waterworld and The Patriot fame, may give Uwe a run for his money, but he never got to make any more movies beyond those (and the world rejoices).

EDIT:

As Kelly Bundy would have said, TOPEKA!  I HAVE FOUND IT!!!  I have found a candidate to replace Uwe Boll as the worst movie maker.  It was a long and dangerous journey, not to be undertaken by the light of heart or the weak of stomach.  

Roger Christian, made 3 moves - Masterminds (21%), Underworld (0%, with Dennis Leary, not Kate Beckingsdale) and...(drum roll please)... Battlefield Earth (3%).  Unfortunately, his 4th movie, Bandito, wasn't in the theatres long enough to get enough reviews to qualify.  So that's 3 movies at 24%.  Uwe pulled 4 at 27%.  It's down to a photo finish on who's worse...  biggrin

Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2006, 02:01:52 AM »

Oh, and speaking of movies...if Uwe Boll buys the rights to X-Com, I'm going huntin'...

Hapfloyde
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2006, 02:53:25 AM »

How bad must it suck to have a movie rated worse that "Battlefield Earth"?  Congratulations, Boll, you made something so bad Scientologists point at it and laugh.

corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2006, 03:38:22 AM »

Damn right I'd call DOOM a great movie. Especially loved the first person scene towards the end.

And on to a few of the other movies you pointed out - Battlefield Earth, I actually enjoyed this one.
Same thing with Alien VS Predator and Event Horizon.
And lord of the rings, I'd agree great movies.

Gone with the wind? I'd be lucky to last 10 minutes without falling asleep. Maybe a half century ago it was a great movie, but not this day in age when movie technology (as seen in films like DOOM) has advanced so much.

Granted I haven't actually seen the Dungeon Siege trailer (anyone have a link?) it's only fair to hold off final judgement until the film is actually released.

What it comes down to is opinions. I personally can come to appreciate movies, even those on low budgets, with the people who make them having good intentions behind it. (In Boll's case, reaching out to gamers.)
And again I need to point out - Bloodrayne did follow the basic idea of the game. The game wasn't anything to write home about (played the PS2 version) but it did follow the general storyline.

Unfortunately I don't think Boll will be getting many more game licenses though because according to his latest interview, he's thinking of just giving up because so many gamers don't appreciate his work. I still talk to him a bit through emails, but I woudn't be suprised if he gives up on doing movies because it seems not a lot of people can appreciate good work when they see it.

Oh and Patriot - c'mon now.. if that's the one with Mel Gibson, that's another damn fine movie, almost as good as Braveheart.
I may be in the minority in taste for 'good movies' but I'm far, far from alone.

Hapfloyde
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2006, 06:12:34 AM »

OK, a couple counterpoints here:

And on to a few of the other movies you pointed out - Battlefield Earth, I actually enjoyed this one.
Same thing with Alien VS Predator and Event Horizon.
And lord of the rings, I'd agree great movies.

The problem here seems to be that you're confusing "I liked that movie." with "That was a great movie."  You enjoy crappy movies, and that's fine.  I myself rather enjoyed "Event Horizon", but I would agree that it's not a very good movie.  Hell, I've seen a vampire movie where one of the bad guys seems to control an army of zombies with his dick (seriously).  I loved the heck out of that movie, but it really was terrible from a quality standpoint.

Gone with the wind? I'd be lucky to last 10 minutes without falling asleep. Maybe a half century ago it was a great movie, but not this day in age when movie technology (as seen in films like DOOM) has advanced so much.

Vise versa, just because you don't like a movie doesn't mean it's a bad movie.  "Gone with the Wind" puts me to sleep, too.  But I can still appreciate the acting, plotline, and general care that went into the movie.  It's just not my cup of tea.  And explosions, CGI, and various high tech SFX do not make a movie great.  Just look at the new Star Wars movies for proof of that.

Granted I haven't actually seen the Dungeon Siege trailer (anyone have a link?) it's only fair to hold off final judgement until the film is actually released.

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/01/27/dungeon-siege-trailer-overdoses-on-lotr/
If you can watch this without cracking up and/or crying, you have no soul.  Seriously, if they can't even make a trailer that's not painful to watch, how are we supposed to generate any hope for the actual movie?

What it comes down to is opinions. I personally can come to appreciate movies, even those on low budgets, with the people who make them having good intentions behind it. (In Boll's case, reaching out to gamers.)
And again I need to point out - Bloodrayne did follow the basic idea of the game. The game wasn't anything to write home about (played the PS2 version) but it did follow the general storyline.

Again, you can appreciate a crappy movie.  I can, too.  Just not when it's destroying a perfectly good license.

Unfortunately I don't think Boll will be getting many more game licenses though because according to his latest interview, he's thinking of just giving up because so many gamers don't appreciate his work. I still talk to him a bit through emails, but I woudn't be suprised if he gives up on doing movies because it seems not a lot of people can appreciate good work when they see it.

This is a good thing for everyone involved, including Boll.  I think he could have achieved an Ed Wood-type reputation by now if he wasn't using respected licenses in his crappy movies.  The thought of "at least someone's making movies out of these properties." is a bit like looking at a domestic abuse shelter and thinking "at least they're married".  Boll is taking these licenses that could be made into perfectly good pieces of cinama and puting stains and brueses on them that will take years to remove.  If he can't treat them with respect, he shoulden't have them at all.

Wow, that was quite a rant, wasn't it?  I think I need a hug now...

stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2006, 06:25:04 AM »

Ube Boll might be the nicest guy on earth, but he isn't a great director.  No doubt he does what he can, but he just doesn't appear to be that skilled.  If he actually wrote the movies I would say the criticism would be more justified.  He doesn't have much to work with when it comes to the scripts he is turning into movies.

I think WalTer hit the nail on the head.  Whether it is Uwe Boll's fault or not the movies he makes are actually hurting video game movies.  Maybe it's unfortunate that he takes the blame for it but he does.  Studio execs are going to look at the box office receipts for Bloodrayne and Alone in the Dark and might conclude that there just isn't a market for video game movies anymore.  Never mind that these movies were universally panned, but why take the risk trying to make a good video game movie?

I'd be really upset to see him turn my favorite games turned into movies, particularly with Uwe's track record.  He might be "doing it for the gamers" but please, don't do me any favors!  Alone in the Dark was a great game but how in the world can I expect people to believe me when they only know the movie?

According to IMDB, these are the upcoming films Uwe Boll is directing:
In the Name of the King: A Dungeon Siege Tale (2007)
Hunter: The Reckoning (2007) (in production)
Postal (2007) (announced)
Far Cry (2008) (announced)
Fear Effect (2008) (announced)

You can view the Dungeon Siege trailer here.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2006, 07:56:59 AM »

Stiffler, read this: http://www.somethingawful.com/articles.php?a=2649

Then try to defend him again with that argument.  slywink

In short, he does write his own scripts.  He ignores what good writers have written for him and writes his own stuff.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2006, 08:31:43 AM »

Well I've watched the trailer and as such, I must have no soul as I tried hard to find something wrong with it and could not..

Surely the transporter woudn't star in a crappy movie, would he? There are some big-name stars in dungeon siege watching that preview, and while it could easily suck, I've got a strong feeling I'm going to like it.

just because you don't like a movie doesn't mean it's a bad movie.

Exactly one of the points I've been making all along. We need to actually see the movies before making conclusions about it or letting others speak for us. It's safe to say that a large number of people that bash Boll's movies haven't even seen them, they simply go with the crowd.

I'll agree that movies like The Postman, Battlefield Earth, The Patriot, Event Horizon aren't "great" movies, but I sure as hell liked them.
Just to get a feel of my tastes in movies, I'd say my all-time favorite would be Gladiator (with Russell Crowe) followed by Troy (the new one).

In any case, I'd like to see Dungeon Siege get the fair chance it (and any movie) deserves before being bashed to hell before it even hits screens.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2006, 10:04:22 AM »

The thing is, isn't the point of reviews and word of mouth supposed to help you avoid bad movies in theaters and rental?

You can try to be objective about this, but it boils down to your money.  Why waste several hours of your time and a $10 movie ticket to see a crap movie when there are so many indicators that it's bad.  Let the people who are paid to see these things take the initial cost for you.  Let Uwe Boll's track record speak for himself.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2006, 10:18:14 PM »

Well I've watched the trailer and as such, I must have no soul as I tried hard to find something wrong with it and could not..

Surely the transporter woudn't star in a crappy movie, would he? There are some big-name stars in dungeon siege watching that preview, and while it could easily suck, I've got a strong feeling I'm going to like it.

Come on this is silly. Burt Reynolds is in this movie. He used to be A list, now he does anythign for money. Jason Statham is still B list, even though us gaming geeks love the Transporter and Snatch-and I would imagine several million in paychecks would go a long way towards getting him to star in this movie-just about anyone in hollywood has a price, and I am sure Uwe Boll paid Statham's. That doesn;t make him any less of an absolutely awful director though.
unbreakable
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2006, 06:00:19 AM »

I liked "Event Horizon"
I even liked "Battlefield Earth".  Really, as a Sci-Fi B Movie, it's actually quite good.
"Gone with the Wind" sucks.  Whoever said it was a great movie, turn in your man card.

The trailers for "Dungeon Siege" and especially "Alone in the Dark" were probably the two worst trailers EVAR.  When I look at a trailer and think I could do so much better, that isn't a good place to be in.

Also, wouldn't his movies actually have a chilling effect on video game movies?  Look at the chill that had surrounded comic book movies until the first Batman movie.

Jason Statham used to sell counterfeit fashion ware.  While he is a hell of a funny guy, especially when you see him interviewed, I think he is ultimately happy to be getting paid a lot more for far less work.  Johnny Depp he is not.

Hey, even great actors whore themselves out occasionally.  Sean Connery did the "Highlander" films, and "First Knight" (FK was a horrible, horrible movie).  Highlander 1 was a happy accident, and there was no excuse for 2 other than them throwing wads of cash at him (I read in an interview the movie would have never been funded without him being in it).  Raul Julia did Street Fighter, need I say more?
Andrew Wonser

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2006, 06:16:55 PM »

Raul Julia did Overdrawn at the Memory Bank. Which makes Street Fighter look like high theater.

There's no denying that we all like a few movies that the majority didn't, hell I liked Dungeons and Dragons, but most people don't build their resumes on failures as Uwe has done. You do a couple bad movies, learn from your mistakes, improve on the third. He seems to have forgotten the last two steps.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2006, 04:33:57 AM »

Quote from: "Andrew Wonser"
Raul Julia did Overdrawn at the Memory Bank. Which makes Street Fighter look like high theater.

After that utter tripe of a PBS movie 'special', I was amazed that Raul Julia actually had a movie career (and a successful one at that). *shudders*

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
unbreakable
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2006, 07:58:50 AM »

LOL, I was reading the review of "Overdrawn at the Memory Bank", and thinking it sounded like a crappy Hollywood hack job of a short story by John Varley.  And, after reading farther down in the review, apparently it was!

Varley had some really cool stories.  As far as one of them movie-worthy, that particular one doesnt really come to mind.  Although it would probably make a pretty good "Outer Limits" or other sci-fi hour long production.
Andrew Wonser

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2006, 04:54:47 PM »

And as a MST3K episode, it ranked decent but not good.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: