http://gamingtrend.com
October 02, 2014, 05:27:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is this a TV, DVD Player or DVD Problem?  (Read 512 times)
KC
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: May 28, 2006, 05:39:12 PM »

I have a 5 yr. old Sony DVD player hooked up through S-video and audio connections to a 10 yr. old Sony TV.  When I play DVDs, the sound will play fine and then it will drop in volume a lot for a few minutes and then go back up.  This doesn't happen when I watch regular TV.

At first I thought that maybe the DVD player was playing in surround sound mode, but I made sure that it was not.  I checked the audio connections and unplugged and replugged them in.  This happens on many, but not all of my DVDs and they are not scratched.

Any ideas?
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2006, 06:22:12 PM »

First thing I'd do is try another set of audio cables.  Maybe a pulled wire or short in that?  It'd do what you are describing.  The hardware is usually an all or nothing thing.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2006, 09:48:48 PM »

I've heard of that style problem when running DVD players or VCRs through a VCR to get to your TV as some form of copy protection.  Never heard of it when plugged directly from a DVD/VCR to the TV though.  Does the TV have a built-in DVD/VCR?

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2006, 11:08:46 PM »

Do you have some sort of dyamic range compression enabled by accident?  Basically it acts as a sort of "night mode" designed to keep all of the audio, whether it's voices or loud explosions at the exact same audio level.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2006, 03:40:56 PM »

My first reaction was to think "Macrovision" on VHS. If that's not the case, I'd suggest running the outputs into a stereo and see if you have the same problem. If so it looks like it's either a DVD/config issue or a connection.

I am assuming you've tried several DVDs on this, right?

(also, shouldn't this thread be in the hardware / software hell ? )

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: