http://gamingtrend.com
December 20, 2014, 05:37:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is There Hope for Metallica?  (Read 9009 times)
dback99
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 10, 2008, 01:21:51 PM »

Yeah, the record definitely has a Justice feel to it.. I really think it sounds like the record they would have made after Justice had they not changed direction.   It sounds to me like the most inspired they have been in years.  And i only listen to the music.  I could care less about the napster stuff, or any of that.  They can do what they want on that, i just want killer, heavy music.  Im simple smile

-dback

Xbox Live tag: dback99

Listening to: volbeat!!

Playing: swtor, skyrim, rocksmith, ootp11
Lee
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 11, 2008, 11:53:32 PM »

I will admit the guitar and drums sound a bit more like old Metallica, but the singing is completely ruining it. Hetfields voice just doesn't work for me. The chorus's sound awkward and completely out of place with the music. He sounds nothing like Justice, and I am a bit shock that the comparison is even being made. The more I hear the new stuff (local radio is playing the crap out of it) the more I hate it. Despise it even.

Metallica died after Justice, they will never come back, and this newest attempt isn't even close.
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 12, 2008, 01:25:33 AM »

I have been listening to channel 51 every day since it started airing Mandatory Metallica.

I was a fan way back in the early 80's when everyone I knew was telling me it was over-the-top and obnoxious, which is why I probably liked it.
I do have my favorites and I agree that some of the newer stuff doesn't resonate the Kill/Ride/Master/Justice days, but I really enjoy most of their music including the new songs.

Music in part, comes from the soul, so if your soul changes so does the music. They are band members, but they are also people.

They matured as people over the last 20 to 30 years so naturally their music will reflect that.
I guess if you are looking for hope that they will sound like they did back in the 80s you will probably be looking for a long time.

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 12, 2008, 01:29:46 AM »

Quote from: DamageInc on September 12, 2008, 01:25:33 AM

I guess if you are looking for hope that they will sound like they did back in the 80s you will probably be looking for a long time.

Really I was just hoping that they would sound good. Tongue
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: September 12, 2008, 02:01:59 AM »

Quote from: DamageInc on September 12, 2008, 01:25:33 AM

Music in part, comes from the soul, so if your soul changes so does the music. They are band members, but they are also people.

So, does the fact that their music sounds soulless now confirm that they themselves no longer have souls?

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
fyedaddy

Ass

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 12, 2008, 06:55:17 PM »

It's not the second coming of 'Justice', but I haven't listened to a new Metallica disc five times in a row (all day today) since the Black album released. I'm really enjoying it so far.

XBox Live ID: fyedaddy

"I give up - Go with the DS. It's far better."
"Nintendo is King, and anyone who says otherwise is wrong."
 --Devil
joeyjazz
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 12, 2008, 08:00:49 PM »

Someone on another message board sent a message to the engineer who mastered the album to inquire about the awful distortion in the finished CD and it looks like it wasn't his doing (which also explains why he kept them from printing his name in the credits for the disc).

Quote from: Ted Jensen
Suffice it to say I would never be pushed to overdrive things as far as they are here. Believe me Iím not proud to be associated with this one, and we can only hope that some good will come from this in some form of backlash against volume above all else.
Torfish
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 12, 2008, 10:18:12 PM »

Quote from: fyedaddy on September 12, 2008, 06:55:17 PM

It's not the second coming of 'Justice', but I haven't listened to a new Metallica disc five times in a row (all day today) since the Black album released. I'm really enjoying it so far.

Same here.  Really enjoying the new CD.  I like most of the songs a lot, but the Judas Kiss and the Broken songs really stand out for me right now.  Can't wait to hear some of these songs in concert.  I will be there for sure.

Really why compare it to their old stuff?  No way could they repeat that magic 20+ years later.  That stuff is timeless.   
fyedaddy

Ass

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 13, 2008, 02:51:11 AM »

Quote from: Torfish on September 12, 2008, 10:18:12 PM

Really why compare it to their old stuff?  No way could they repeat that magic 20+ years later.  That stuff is timeless.   

Oh you're right. It's the old Catch 22. We want our artists to grow and provide us with new content but we still want it to sound like it did when we first discovered them (despite often being decades later). That also doesn't take into considering that most all of us have (or at least should have) changed ourselves over that same time.

XBox Live ID: fyedaddy

"I give up - Go with the DS. It's far better."
"Nintendo is King, and anyone who says otherwise is wrong."
 --Devil
Kurt Stevens
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 13, 2008, 02:38:34 PM »

I give the new album a thumbs up. Best album they have put out for quite some time.  It's not Master of Puppets but it's a solid album.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: September 13, 2008, 04:56:01 PM »

I just scored a free ticket to their show here in Nov 3.  I never would have paid the $90'ish they wanted, but I'm pretty psyched at seeing them for free.   thumbsup

Guess I'll have to pick up the new disc now and see what all the fuss is about.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 04, 2008, 07:38:40 AM »

In case anyone is wondering, you can safely skip their tour this time around, the show was decidedly 'meh'.  Hammett can't play like he used to, and was subsequently about half a beat behind the rest of the band on most of the songs. The stage show was uninspired, and the band just didn't sound very tight ("Creeping Death" - one of my personal favorites - was an absolute mess). Every time they played something off the new album, it sucked the energy level right out of the building. They blew the roof off when I saw them 15 years ago, but now they just come across as, well, old. Didn't help that the opening band before them was absolutely horrid (Down, Phil Anselmo's band. BTW, has there every been a douchebag bigger than ol' Phil?)  About the only bright spot was the first opener, The Sword. They were actually pretty damn good.

Oh, and a giant "Fark You" to the overzealous security staff who jumped in the middle of every single mosh pit and started dragging people out by the hair (literally, in one case). It was the most ridiculous security I've ever seen at a concert. 

Scuzz

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 04, 2008, 04:49:27 PM »

Ever since they built the Save Mart Center (15,000+) here in town we get some really big bands when they tour. I just can't bring myself to spend the kind of money they want for bands that have played there best 15-20 years ago.

We've had the Stones, The Who, Madonna, Metallica is coming for the second time, the Eagles. Some of these weren't my favs back in the day but I don't really want to pay$75-$125 bucks to re-live some memory from my past.

I grew up a big Blue Oyster Cult fan and granted their latest music sucks for the most part, but when they tour they hit small venues, bars usually. I will still see them in that kind of atmosphere. Hell, I got to shake Buck Dharma's hand once we were so close to them.
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 04, 2008, 11:22:48 PM »

I finally got the full album...

I have decided it's really good.  I dig the songs, the riffs, the arrangements... lyrics... some are downright bad, but that's ok.

Been listening to it a lot.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: November 04, 2008, 11:29:31 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on November 04, 2008, 07:38:40 AM

The stage show was uninspired, and the band just didn't sound very tight ("Creeping Death" - one of my personal favorites - was an absolute mess).
Considering I've never heard them do Creeping Death well in a live setting, at this point I'm inclined to believe it's intentional smile
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 04, 2008, 11:42:53 PM »

I am still listening to it when it comes on the radio, trying to like it, it just isn't working. At all, in fact I like it less. Thankfully the radio stations must agree it sucks because they are playing far more old Metallica than new it seems.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 04, 2008, 11:47:35 PM »

Quote from: Scuzz on November 04, 2008, 04:49:27 PM

Ever since they built the Save Mart Center (15,000+) here in town we get some really big bands when they tour. I just can't bring myself to spend the kind of money they want for bands that have played there best 15-20 years ago.

I'm sorry, with a name like that I see Beck in a shopping center parking lot doing Two Turntables and a Microphone.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 05, 2008, 12:26:36 PM »

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 05, 2008, 03:34:30 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on November 04, 2008, 11:47:35 PM

Quote from: Scuzz on November 04, 2008, 04:49:27 PM

I'm sorry, with a name like that I see Beck in a shopping center parking lot doing Two Turntables and a Microphone.

we got the Value City Arena here in Columbus, and up in Cleveland there's the Quicken Loans Arena.....

corportate sponsorship naming is getting a bit ridiculous.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 05, 2008, 07:22:11 PM »

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 02, 2008, 02:36:01 AM »

well, Amazon has the mp3 version of the album on sale for 5 bucks.  I grabbed it, and I'm kinda glad I only paid 5 bucks for it as it's not clicking with me.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: