http://gamingtrend.com
October 24, 2014, 11:32:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is the movie Avatar worth it?  (Read 845 times)
Daehawk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: January 08, 2010, 10:49:03 PM »

See we dont go to movies much. they cost too much plus when I pick a movie to go and she agrees then i have to go see one of her movies. Sometimes thats not a good trade to me lol. So if i talk her into going it better be worth it because no matter what i have to see one of her's. With all the ad stuff and hype..is it a let down after all or not what they make it to be?

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
WalkingFumble

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 10:49:47 PM »

Visually yes.  Story wise, no.

XBL: I3L00DFUMBLE  -  132,578     |     PSN: WalkingFumble     |     Nintendo Revolution:  1440 9434 2198 4442
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 10:51:47 PM »

There's a 6 page (!!) thread devoted to this topic already.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 10:59:26 PM »

Story is so-so.  If you watch it in 3-D, it more than makes up for the story, IMHO.  The 3-D and animation are nothing short of revolutionary.

Rick
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2010, 12:01:25 AM »

if there has been one movie released in the last year that absolutely warrants being seen in the theater, it's Avatar.  there's just no way to get a comparable experience at home.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2010, 12:06:37 AM »

Short answer: Yes. Its a 3D Imax extravaganza that won't pack anywhere near the same wallop on DVD in a tiny home TV. Cameron wants you to go to the theater.
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2010, 12:46:34 AM »

Meh.  If you are willing to overlook a storyline you've heard a thousand times before, by all means.  The visuals are cool, and I guess it's cool to go to just to see it.  It's like New York City:  Overhyped, but you have to see it at least once.
walTer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2010, 01:18:23 AM »

Yes.
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2010, 01:23:15 AM »

Yes.
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2010, 01:35:02 AM »

It's a very enjoyable movie, particularly so in 3D.  Particularly so in Imax 3D if that's an option.  Shakespeare it ain't, but it's a good time.
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2010, 01:50:14 AM »

Plus Neytiri's hot.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2010, 01:58:26 AM »

Yes, it's amazing.
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2010, 03:28:57 AM »

Just got back seeing it a second time in 3D. I convinced my wife to go with me this time. I wasn't sure what she would think of it. Turns out she liked out even more than I did.

Definitely go see it.
LoneStarSpur

Glad to be old!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2010, 04:34:23 AM »

Abso-frikin-lutely.

I can't wait to see it again.

Fallin' feels like flyin'. For a little while. - Bad Blake
You're a funny drunk. - my wife
iloveplywood
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2010, 05:29:15 PM »

I'd see it in 2D.  I think all the effects get in the way of the story.  But that's just me, I'm a story guy.
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2010, 06:43:15 PM »

Quote from: iloveplywood on January 09, 2010, 05:29:15 PM

I'd see it in 2D.  I think all the effects get in the way of the story.  But that's just me, I'm a story guy.

I can't tell, are you being serious or sarcastic here? If you're being serious... are you serious? You think stuff got in the way of the story of Avatar?
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2010, 06:53:13 PM »

I have poor eyesight that my spectacles only partly correct. I've never had much luck adding the red/blue acetate 3D glasses to that situation -- they don't work very well either on top of or underneath my specs. So I'm reluctant to pay a premium for a 3D movie. Yet, this one gets such raves...is the 3D process noticeably different than the technologies of a few years ago, or would I be battling my weak eyes and shoddy glasses through the whole thing? I've never found 3D to be more than a distraction.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2010, 07:04:02 PM »

Yes. See it in 3D.
LoneStarSpur

Glad to be old!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2010, 11:30:29 PM »

Quote from: Ironrod on January 09, 2010, 06:53:13 PM

I have poor eyesight that my spectacles only partly correct. I've never had much luck adding the red/blue acetate 3D glasses to that situation -- they don't work very well either on top of or underneath my specs. So I'm reluctant to pay a premium for a 3D movie. Yet, this one gets such raves...is the 3D process noticeably different than the technologies of a few years ago, or would I be battling my weak eyes and shoddy glasses through the whole thing? I've never found 3D to be more than a distraction.

The polarized glasses fit comfortably over my regular glasses and it didn't take me too long to get used to them...and I was very, very tired when I saw the movie.

Glad we saw it in 3d.

Fallin' feels like flyin'. For a little while. - Bad Blake
You're a funny drunk. - my wife
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2010, 12:24:36 AM »

Quote from: LoneStarSpur on January 09, 2010, 11:30:29 PM

The polarized glasses fit comfortably over my regular glasses and it didn't take me too long to get used to them...and I was very, very tired when I saw the movie.

Glad we saw it in 3d.

As noted, the polarized glasses now are totally different than the crap paper red/blue ones you're thinking of, and they are sized with the larger ones made so they can go over glasses for people that need to wear them. Go. This is not your Daddy's 3D.  icon_cool

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2010, 02:05:01 AM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on January 10, 2010, 12:24:36 AM

Glad we saw it in 3d.

As noted, the polarized glasses now are totally different than the crap paper red/blue ones you're thinking of, and they are sized with the larger ones made so they can go over glasses for people that need to wear them. Go. This is not your Daddy's 3D.  icon_cool

Ironrod's daddy's 3d would look more like this:

...except carved out of rock.  icon_biggrin

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2010, 02:11:17 AM »

Go see it. And see it in 3d.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2010, 03:24:04 AM »

Well that settles it. i want to go and in 3D. But wont have the money till next month. i hope it sticks around somewhere near me in 3D.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2010, 05:25:51 AM »

Quote from: Chaz on January 10, 2010, 02:05:01 AM

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on January 10, 2010, 12:24:36 AM

Glad we saw it in 3d.

Ironrod's daddy's 3d would look more like this:

...except carved out of rock.  icon_biggrin

My parents really did have a stereopticon like that. I had a Viewmaster.

OK, I'm convinced to give this movie a try if/when the state pays our health insurance reimbursement claim. 

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: