http://gamingtrend.com
November 23, 2014, 11:18:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is the last season of Enterprise worth watching?  (Read 1570 times)
Laner
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« on: September 26, 2005, 09:29:33 PM »

I have the majority of episdoes of Enterprise still on my Tivo... and they're taking up a lot of space, which I need now that the new season has started.  Are these worth watching, or would I be better off just deleting them?  I did see the Riker/Troi "epilogue", as well as the two episodes set in an alternate WW2 universe; is the stuff inbetween any good?
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2005, 09:42:39 PM »

Yes-its very good, suprisingly good actually. Watch it.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2005, 09:49:23 PM »

Quote from: "Laner"
I did see the Riker/Troi "epilogue", as well as the two episodes set in an alternate WW2 universe; is the stuff inbetween any good?

Wait a second... Care to explain the whole Riker/Troi thing, considering that the series happened a few hundred years BEFORE the horrid Enterprise happened?

Something tells me the 'two episodes set in an alternate WW2 universe' have something to do with it. Ugh.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2005, 10:07:43 PM »

If there's ever a question regarding screwy timelines, it's either a "Space-time continuum" or "Holodeck" issue.  In this case, it's the latter smile
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2005, 10:30:43 PM »

I have them on my hard drive. Been watching one every now and then unless its a 2 or 3 parter then Iw atch them all at once. Its very good. I really miss that show. I already heard how that Riker/Troi one ruins the show and Im dreading seeing it. So Im taking my time. I think the next one Ill watch is the one where Archer gets 3 Orion slave girls smile

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2005, 11:11:11 PM »

I'll bite too ... how do characters from TNG tie into the storyline of Enterprise?

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2005, 11:20:22 PM »

Quote from: "Dafones"
I'll bite too ... how do characters from TNG tie into the storyline of Enterprise?

you're really better off not knowing...they screwed up the end of what was probably the show's best season with that lame idea.  if you enjoyed the other seasons at all, i'd recommend watching the last one.  they wrap up the whole 'temporal cold war' with the WW2 episodes at the beginning, then go in a much better direction up until the final episode.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
RedJak
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2005, 11:46:30 PM »

It was a good season with some enjoyable episodes.  As mentioned the final episode blows it.  Basically they take all the drama and character development and pitch it out the window.
Doomboy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2005, 01:14:00 AM »

The last season of Enterprise was what I figured the show was going to be about when I heard of it.  History of how things came to be.  But no, we got stupid temporal wars and aliens that were never part of Star Trek "history".

But, the last season made up for all that crap by not sucking.  Except for the holodeck episode.

I just wish they had opened the show with all that.  It would probably be a big hit instead of a total failure.

I will buy the last season of Enterprise when it comes out on DVD, and pretend the rest of it never happened.

When there's no more room in hell, Jack Thompson will walk the earth.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2005, 01:36:46 AM »

What are you all talking about? What happened in the last episode??

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
lex
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2005, 01:59:34 AM »

yeah, the last season is definitely worth watching through.  they were really plucking the nostalgia heart strings there.

were the ones with Data (not Data Data, but the guy playing Data who plays the great ancestor of Soong) in the fourth season?

Yeah, I've been watching some of the reruns from the first few seasons, if it wasn't a star trek show, it would've been ok, but when they started up all that temporal cold war shit and the xindi.....huh??

the very last episode, I'll go with everyone else and say nothing about it, better to let the episode let itself down than me spoiling it....
RedJak
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2005, 02:34:39 AM »

Quote from: "Dafones"
What are you all talking about? What happened in the last episode??

Spoiler for Hiden:
The last episode was Riker trying to figure out how to handle a problem from some episode of STNG so he and Troi opened up Archer's log on the holodeck and played out the final episode.  One of the running gags from the series was a cook that was never on screen and in the holoversion Riker plays him and dispenses advice to the crew.  The whole show takes place a long time after the previous episode and drops every storyline while killing off a cast member for no good reason.  The final bit is some speech that Archer is about to give that is so moving that it kicks off the Federation.  Of course, credits roll before he says anything.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2005, 02:41:24 AM »

Let me put it this way regarding the series:it wasn't great, it had a lot of flaws, but the last two seasons were very good sci-fi Star Trek TV, and when I have the money I am going to purchase all the DVD sets. If you are a Trek fan why would you want to miss any Trek you can get? We probably won't see a new series for at least 2-3 more years.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2005, 04:09:05 AM »

Quote from: "Calvin"
Let me put it this way regarding the series:it wasn't great, it had a lot of flaws, but the last two seasons were very good sci-fi Star Trek TV, and when I have the money I am going to purchase all the DVD sets. If you are a Trek fan why would you want to miss any Trek you can get? We probably won't see a new series for at least 2-3 more years.

Try closer to 10. Paramount finally accepted that the horse was long ago beaten into dust, and seems to have "retired" Star Trek for the foreseeable future. Fans love the idea of both the tv and movie series, and to varying degrees the previous shows, and they too were just worn out on Star Trek. Of course, having Rick Berman run the show into the ground didn't help either. Paramount is notoriously particular about the show, so I think when it is finally resurrected, they'll hopefully have a new administration running things that actually wants to see Star Trek expand its core while remaining faithful to what Roddenberry envisioned.

That and Deep Space Nine was hands-down Star Trek in its finest hour. Just had to throw that in there. biggrin

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2005, 04:42:15 AM »

Quote from: "whiteboyskim"
That and Deep Space Nine was hands-down Star Trek in its finest hour. Just had to throw that in there. biggrin

Agree with you there.  DS9 is the best Star Trek series.  Part of that is due to Ronald D. Moore.  He is now a part of Battlestar Galactica, which could explain why BG is so good.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2005, 05:12:09 AM »

It needs to move to non network tv and be more mature and violent. Maybe even with inter crew disputes. Id personally like a series based on the Klingons. More blood and guts and less hydrocarbon nonasided plasmometer fixed it crap. Follow a Klingon ship like the IKS Gorkon or something. Throw in Romulan Tal She'ar for intrigues and the Ferengis for blackmarket fun. Would be nice to see the Klingon TAKE a world and subjugate it and make it thier's instead of trying to talk a world into joining.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2005, 06:31:44 AM »

Quote from: "whiteboyskim"
Quote from: "Calvin"

Try closer to 10. Paramount finally accepted that the horse was long ago beaten into dust, and seems to have "retired" Star Trek for the foreseeable future. Fans love the idea of both the tv and movie series, and to varying degrees the previous shows, and they too were just worn out on Star Trek. Of course, having Rick Berman run the show into the ground didn't help either. Paramount is notoriously particular about the show, so I think when it is finally resurrected, they'll hopefully have a new administration running things that actually wants to see Star Trek expand its core while remaining faithful to what Roddenberry envisioned.

There is simply no doubt of this. DS9 Seasons 3-7-specifically the end of 3, the beginning and end of 4, the entire 5, 6, and the last 2/3 of 7 is simply some of the finest serialized TV that has ever, ever been produced.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2005, 11:03:07 AM »

I believe the current plan is to bring Trek back in two years, either with a new movie (with new people, presumably) or a TV series.  Whether this is true, or just an attempt to soothe angry fans, I don't know.

"I did see the Riker/Troi "epilogue", as well as the two episodes set in an alternate WW2 universe; is the stuff inbetween any good?"
Well, you saw the worst, now watch the rest slywink  And, if that final episode is still on your Tivo, smash the unit into a million bits and buy a new one.  There's no other way to get rid of the taint of that insulting piece of crap.  I'm still amazed the actors had the professionalism to actually perform the episode.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2005, 04:48:25 PM »

Quote from: "EddieA"
I believe the current plan is to bring Trek back in two years, either with a new movie (with new people, presumably) or a TV series.  Whether this is true, or just an attempt to soothe angry fans, I don't know.

"I did see the Riker/Troi "epilogue", as well as the two episodes set in an alternate WW2 universe; is the stuff inbetween any good?"
Well, you saw the worst, now watch the rest slywink  And, if that final episode is still on your Tivo, smash the unit into a million bits and buy a new one.  There's no other way to get rid of the taint of that insulting piece of crap.  I'm still amazed the actors had the professionalism to actually perform the episode.

You are correct-if whoever is in charge of the money greenlights it, there is to be a movie in 2007 I believe, and a TV show the following year or year after. I know from reading lots of interview type things that about half of the Next Gen cast was very, very bitter with how the last movie turned out and desperately wants to finish the series off better-most likely with a Star Trek 3 like "Search For Data" thing that has the Enterprise and Titan. Rick Berman and other people that may or may not end up being involved want a totally new thing, some guesses range from Starfleet Academy to a show 200 years after TNG.

If they are smart, they turn the whole shebang over to Ira Steven Behr and the other guy mentioned earlier (the brains behind most of DS9).
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2008, 10:55:18 PM »

I'm not quite a die hard Trekkie (the only full DVD season set I have is Season 3 of ST: TNG), but I've been watching quite a few of these various Fan Collectives (where fans vote for their favorite episodes under a various theme, and the compilations usually include maybe 1 to 4 episodes from each show - so it's a fairly nice sampler) of late.

Although I liked maybe one or two early seasons of Enterprise, I was surprised by how much I really didn't like the Enterprise pilot at all, Broken Bow, which is included on the Klingon Fan Collective set. All the "I oughta kick your ass!" and the occasional use of "Damn" and "Hell" seemed to be bizarre attempts to try to make the new series "edgy," (but frankly, Scott Bakula is too likeable and decent a person to be acting like that - I just don't buy him when he's talking that way) and I'm glad they ditched all that later on. And most of the characters came across as repellent in the pilot (though I grew fonder of the characters as the show went on).

I was surprised how much I liked the couple Voyager episodes on the Fan Collective sets. Maybe absence does make the heart grow fonder.  icon_cool

It seemed like nearly every ST: TNG and Voyager episode on the Fan Collective sets was written or co-written by Ron Moore, and I've been doing Google searches and reading up on him.

It's just so cool that someone who was simply a Trekkie fan (Moore) managed to finagle a chance to get a script reviewed, became a staff writer and eventually executive producer on DS9. It's interesting to read interviews with him about what his struggles to tell ambitious stories within Trek's limits and continuity. Apparently his brief foray with Enterprise (I guess he only wrote one teleplay and didn't find the writing environment as open as the previous series, at least from what I've read) was really unpleasant, and resulted in a temporary rift with Braga.

He also talked about getting to visit the set of Abram's Trek movie in one interview, and just be nostalgic about it though he clearly has no plans to return to the ST franchise. To this day I've never been able to get into his Battlestar Galactica stuff, but now having read a lot of interviews about what he was trying to do with it and why he felt he would never get to tell those stories within ST's limitations -- maybe I'll revisit the early BG seasons and see if this time I "get it."  icon_neutral
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 10:57:25 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
walTer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2008, 10:58:56 PM »

Worst finale ever?  I think so...and apparently most of the cast did as well.

The first and the last season were the best imho....and sadly that is not saying all that much.  So much potential there too.

Ah well.  At least the buzz on the new movie is positive...gives me hope for a new and good series sometime in the future.
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2008, 11:09:19 PM »

I miss Deep Space Nine so much. I have the entire series on DVD and watch it every couple years. But it's just not the same as watching it the first time. icon_wink

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2008, 11:32:57 PM »

The last season is much better than the first two combined, save for the last episode which was essentially a middle finger to the fans.
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2008, 02:11:53 AM »

The entire Dominion War Arc is really the best DS9. I could take or leave most of it, but from 6 on, anything that dealt with the Dominion was just awesome. Probably because it had that dark and gritty element.
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2008, 02:31:38 AM »

Quote from: Jag on August 14, 2008, 02:11:53 AM

The entire Dominion War Arc is really the best DS9. I could take or leave most of it, but from 6 on, anything that dealt with the Dominion was just awesome. Probably because it had that dark and gritty element.

While I like the Dominion War as much as anybody, I'd say episodes featuring Garak or the interplay between Quark and Odo are where it's at. Characters allowed to be deep, and allowed to grow and change are what make DS9 the best Trek has to offer.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
Darrell999
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2008, 12:05:16 AM »

The 4th season of Enterprise (after the first ep, which had to finish the lame 3rd season finale cliffhanger) is what the whole show should have been in the first place.  Prequels are supposed to show how things came to be.  Berman and Braga stepped down from a direct role to let a very talented man named Manny Coto take over, and he worked wonders.  The 4th season was a decent prequel show that worked well, like showing how the Klingons lost their ridges, how some of the races started banding together to form the nucleus of the future Federation, etc.  Some really good stories. 

The problem with Enterprise is that for the first three seasons, it was just another rehash on a different ship--meh (except for the episodes dealing with the Vulcan-Andorian conflict--those were good).  I'd say that if someone saw just 4th season, it would be worth watching.  Except that last episode (the series finale, for cryin' out loud) that Berman wrote, of course.  Pure embarrassment.

The irony is that they canceled Star Trek Enterprise just when it was getting good.   saywhat
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2008, 06:00:21 PM »

I cant even recall the series finale show. Either I missed it somehow or I blocked it out.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2008, 12:07:46 AM »

Quote from: Daehawk on August 15, 2008, 06:00:21 PM

I cant even recall the series finale show. Either I missed it somehow or I blocked it out.

Because I can, here it is. Now, I never watched the show (as I thought it was God-awful), but if I were a fan, I'd be PISSED if the show 'ended' like this. I mean, it's not even an Enterprise episode!

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2008, 01:39:05 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on August 16, 2008, 12:07:46 AM

Quote from: Daehawk on August 15, 2008, 06:00:21 PM

Because I can, here it is. Now, I never watched the show (as I thought it was God-awful), but if I were a fan, I'd be PISSED if the show 'ended' like this. I mean, it's not even an Enterprise episode!

Ok now I recall it. And I remember why I disliked it so much due to what happens with my favorite character Trip.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: