http://gamingtrend.com
April 20, 2014, 09:19:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: is The Crystal Skull watchable?..Indy 4  (Read 2290 times)
Ralph-Wiggum
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2010, 06:02:07 PM »

Quote from: farley2k on August 06, 2010, 04:44:22 PM

Quote from: PeteRock on August 06, 2010, 04:05:56 PM

Quote from: farley2k on August 06, 2010, 03:52:39 PM

spoilers  

Indiana Jones is an achaeologist.  He searches for historical artifacts and enjoys hunting for artifacts based upon popular legends and that have some historical significance.  The Holy Grail and The Ark of the Covenant are based upon historical legends and have at least some basis in archaeology.  Edit:  Sorry, missed the spoiler.  
Spoiler for Hiden:
Alien ships buried in the jungle do not.

The conclusion in Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of Crap does not.  That I believe is the main discrepancy in the series irritating fans.  

Neither one is remotely true so I find them interchangeable. 

Really? I think most biblical scholars would agree that the Ark of the Covenant did exist; we have evidence of it's existence that doesn't come just from the Bible. Now, one could argue what, if anything, it actually contained, but I think it's disingenuous to say that finding the Ark is as improbable as finding a
Spoiler for Hiden:
crashed alien spacecraft.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2010, 06:06:30 PM »

I liked it.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2010, 06:15:37 PM »

I didn't think it was the best thing ever, and there were issues, but I enjoyed my time back in that world. 

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
walTer

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2010, 06:36:59 PM »

I was trying to enjoy it...and I was ALMOST there when I hit the ending.  That destroyed any amount of enjoyment I was hoping to have by watching the movie.

Go ahead and watch it, esp if you want to complete the series, but then immediately forget what you just saw.

It really is bad.

And yes, the endings of all 3 other movies were much better than this silly ending.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2010, 06:53:14 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on August 06, 2010, 04:34:57 PM

Quote from: Crux on August 06, 2010, 04:13:54 PM

I think the biggest problem with the movie is it quickly became an internet meme for forumites to compete with each other over who can come up with the most creative way of saying how absolutely horrid it was... when it really wasn't that horrid.

Was it a great flick? Absolutely not. Was it watchable? Yes. And no the jungle scene isn't anywhere near as bad as people make out. It certainly isn't the highlight, but to call it one of the worst pieces of cinema ever is absurd hyperbole.

I'd say watch it, without great expectations and a healthy suspension of disbelief. You'll probably enjoy it, but you won't get blown away. Of course, if you're given to drama, then you might be better off leaving it so you can avoid telling everyone how it raped your childhood memories  ninja

This... 

...is 100% wrong. 

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 06, 2010, 06:53:58 PM »

Quote from: Blackadar on August 06, 2010, 12:42:32 PM

By the end you're ready to blow your diggity dang dong  head off.

This made me lol.
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 06, 2010, 06:58:33 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on August 06, 2010, 06:53:14 PM

I think the biggest problem with the movie is it quickly became an internet meme for forumites to compete with each other over who can come up with the most creative way of saying how absolutely horrid it was... when it really wasn't that horrid.

Was it a great flick? Absolutely not. Was it watchable? Yes. And no the jungle scene isn't anywhere near as bad as people make out. It certainly isn't the highlight, but to call it one of the worst pieces of cinema ever is absurd hyperbole.

I'd say watch it, without great expectations and a healthy suspension of disbelief. You'll probably enjoy it, but you won't get blown away. Of course, if you're given to drama, then you might be better off leaving it so you can avoid telling everyone how it raped your childhood memories  ninja

This... 

...is 100% wrong. 

Yeah, no
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 06, 2010, 07:44:37 PM »

Man, this is really a great trolling subject! I think we need a "Is the Phantom Menace watchable" thread as well :-D

A new one
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 06, 2010, 08:00:58 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on August 06, 2010, 07:44:37 PM

Man, this is really a great trolling subject! I think we need a "Is the Phantom Menace watchable" thread as well :-D

yes it is,very watchable...Attack of the Clones however is not Tongue.....let the arguing comence!!!

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
walTer

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 06, 2010, 08:09:07 PM »

Eps 1-3....any of them are much easier to watch that Indy 4...besides the horrible movie/story etc....Harrison Ford just looked too old...not looks but you could tell that the action was not coming very easily at all.
McNutt

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 06, 2010, 08:17:52 PM »

I didn't just not like it, I left the theater pissed.  That's how bad it was.

And the jungle scene with its giant ants, commie-hating monkeys, and swordplay was one of the worst scenes I've ever watched.  Probably because I expected so much more from all that talent and money.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 06, 2010, 08:23:15 PM »

They were lazy monkeys. 

Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 06, 2010, 08:45:29 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on August 06, 2010, 08:00:58 PM

yes it is,very watchable...Attack of the Clones however is not Tongue.....let the arguing comence!!!

Er, you got those two movies reversed.  Jar-Jar has a prominent role in the Phantom Menace.  End of story.

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 06, 2010, 08:58:24 PM »

Far more watchable than indy iv.
LoneStarSpur

Glad to be old!

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 06, 2010, 09:14:24 PM »

And Avatar! (combine the two threads, maybe?) And Titanic! And Armageddon and Independence Day! And beer and music, too!

icon_lol

4 was just...meh. Didn't need to be made and I found better use for my time than watching it.

Fallin' feels like flyin'. For a little while. - Bad Blake
You're a funny drunk. - my wife
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 06, 2010, 09:27:02 PM »

Quote from: Blackadar on August 06, 2010, 08:45:29 PM

Er, you got those two movies reversed.  Jar-Jar has a prominent role in the Phantom Menace.  End of story.

Hayden Christensen has a prominent role in AOTC!! Tongue

i think it was the shit as hell romantic sub-plot(Anakin and Padme frolicking on the grass)that made me come to the decision that AOTC was the worse of the 6...but there were problems with both movies

oh and F**king R2D2 having jet packs all of a sudden in his legs and C3PO hanging onto the big pot thing while he got whisked away everywhere,waiting to be rescued by R2 in the droid factory...damn that was lame

-this reminds me of Lenny and Carl in the Simpsons having a lightsabre fight with carbon rods
Lenny: I say "Phantom Menace" sucked more!
Carl: I say "Attack of the Clones" sucked more!

FWIW-Episode III was a thousand times better than both

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 06, 2010, 09:42:36 PM »

Quote from: farley2k on August 06, 2010, 04:44:22 PM

Quote from: PeteRock on August 06, 2010, 04:05:56 PM

Quote from: farley2k on August 06, 2010, 03:52:39 PM

spoilers  

Indiana Jones is an achaeologist.  He searches for historical artifacts and enjoys hunting for artifacts based upon popular legends and that have some historical significance.  The Holy Grail and The Ark of the Covenant are based upon historical legends and have at least some basis in archaeology.  Edit:  Sorry, missed the spoiler.  
Spoiler for Hiden:
Alien ships buried in the jungle do not.

The conclusion in Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of Crap does not.  That I believe is the main discrepancy in the series irritating fans.  

Neither one is remotely true so I find them interchangeable. 

Harry Potter 8: In which Harry's magical gryphon does battle with Cookie Monster piloting a Veritech fighter because all made-up things are interchangeable regardless of setting
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 06, 2010, 10:33:33 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on August 06, 2010, 06:58:33 PM

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on August 06, 2010, 06:53:14 PM

This... 

...is 100% wrong. 

Yeah, no

No, yeah.

Also, I know you are but what am I?
Creepy_Smell

Load"*",8,1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: August 07, 2010, 03:28:24 PM »

I recently dvr'd it and then watched it. It was OK but my least fav. Bad cgi annoyed me more than some of the hokier aspects of the film. Or if it wasn't bad cgi just bad props. Hard to explain but even the first scene where they are just driving the dust and ww2 era cars just look fake as opposed to the grittiness of Raiders. Maybe it was sound stage/set vs real location thing for me because some parts of the movie looked fine.

SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 07, 2010, 04:34:38 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on August 06, 2010, 09:27:02 PM

Quote from: Blackadar on August 06, 2010, 08:45:29 PM

Er, you got those two movies reversed.  Jar-Jar has a prominent role in the Phantom Menace.  End of story.

Hayden Christensen has a prominent role in AOTC!! Tongue

i think it was the shit as hell romantic sub-plot(Anakin and Padme frolicking on the grass)that made me come to the decision that AOTC was the worse of the 6...but there were problems with both movies

oh and F**king R2D2 having jet packs all of a sudden in his legs and C3PO hanging onto the big pot thing while he got whisked away everywhere,waiting to be rescued by R2 in the droid factory...damn that was lame

-this reminds me of Lenny and Carl in the Simpsons having a lightsabre fight with carbon rods
Lenny: I say "Phantom Menace" sucked more!
Carl: I say "Attack of the Clones" sucked more!

FWIW-Episode III was a thousand times better than both

If watching 140something minutes of redlettermedia reviewing how horrible the star wars prequels are, AOTC is worse than Phantom Menace. But that is negligible since both are shit.

Oh, and indy 4 fucking sucked.

Just to stay on topic.

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 07, 2010, 04:36:39 PM »

Quote from: LoneStarSpur on August 06, 2010, 09:14:24 PM

And Avatar! (combine the two threads, maybe?) And Titanic! And Armageddon and Independence Day! And beer and music, too!

icon_lol

4 was just...meh. Didn't need to be made and I found better use for my time than watching it.

heck, just start a thread 'Transformers 1 & 2 were the best movies evar!!!!' and watch the panties start to twist in the wind  icon_twisted

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 07, 2010, 05:08:25 PM »

Watched in On demand a year or two ago.  Had skipped it in the theaters due to all the internet moaning.  Enjoyed it enough that I wish I hadn't paid attention to all the moaning.

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 07, 2010, 05:23:55 PM »

Here to make things interesting.

Why should I have to shut my brain off to enjoy a movie? Shouldn't I be able to keep it on and enjoy it on my own aspects? Having a lot of people say "Oh just leave your brain at the door and just enjoy the movie". No, I don't want to, I don't know how to. So why should that be some requirement for a movie.

Do you leave your brain off for Die Hard? Or leave it off for Batman Returns/The Dark Knight? Transformers is a shit movie, Indy 4 was  shit a movie. I enjoyed all the other Indiana Jones movies and never had to shut my brain off or consider them "Just popcorn flicks" or bullshit like that.

Shkspr
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 08, 2010, 01:01:42 AM »

Quote from: SkyLander on August 07, 2010, 05:23:55 PM

Why should I have to shut my brain off to enjoy a movie? Shouldn't I be able to keep it on and enjoy it on my own aspects? Having a lot of people say "Oh just leave your brain at the door and just enjoy the movie". No, I don't want to, I don't know how to. So why should that be some requirement for a movie.

Do you leave your brain off for Die Hard? Or leave it off for Batman Returns/The Dark Knight? Transformers is a shit movie, Indy 4 was  shit a movie. I enjoyed all the other Indiana Jones movies and never had to shut my brain off or consider them "Just popcorn flicks" or bullshit like that.

On the other hand, if a movie like Die Hard or Temple of Doom engages all of your higher brain functions, perhaps the concept of "shutting your brain off" is a fairly fuzzy notion in the first place... stirthepot  icon_twisted
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 08, 2010, 01:38:49 AM »

Quote from: Shkspr on August 08, 2010, 01:01:42 AM

On the other hand, if a movie like Die Hard or Temple of Doom engages all of your higher brain functions, perhaps the concept of "shutting your brain off" is a fairly fuzzy notion in the first place... stirthepot  icon_twisted

LOL
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: August 08, 2010, 03:12:42 AM »

It's not so much turning your brain off. I view it this way: Sometimes, you want entertainment that will connect with you on a deep, emotional level. You need something that will make you think. Not every movie is made to do that. Indiana Jones certainly wasn't that way. It was made in the tradition of Allen Quatermain, a lighthearted adventure.

We recently rewatched the original Indy and were shocked at how much they get away with. When Indiana is being dragged behind the truck? He would have been near-death. When he measures the sand in the bag to match the idol? It was immediately obvious he should have added more sand.

You can do this with any movie, no matter how well made. Iron Man? The first time he turned on the afterburners, Tony Stark would have been gelatinized inside his suit. The Dark Knight? How did they get all those barrels of explosive onto both ships without anyone noticing? And so on.

We always suspend disbelief for every movie we watch. It's the whole point of a movie. In many cases, the director's job is to give us a reason to suspend that disbelief. The divide here isn't whether or not the movie was good, per se, but whether or not it earned that suspension of belief, along with how far they pushed it.

I felt they did earn it in the previous three movies. I knew going in I wasn't going to be watching Precious. I knew Indiana Jones was about the fantastic, featuring a man who just about always didn't have the situation entirely under his control and improvised as he went along. With that in mind, once I saw what kind of movie Crystal Skull was going to be, I just sat back and enjoyed a director doing whatever the heck he wanted to with a character he loved.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 08, 2010, 07:57:58 AM »

I hear you, and I understand and respect that Eel, but..for the love of god - How bad is a movie allowed to be? I've said it before, but dear god,the monkeys? why? It makes NO sense whatsoever... As did the ending, but thats preferencial I guess.

A new one
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 08, 2010, 08:01:32 AM »

Quote from: Eel Snave on August 08, 2010, 03:12:42 AM

The Dark Knight? How did they get all those barrels of explosive onto both ships without anyone noticing? And so on.

hee hee, don't forget how they rigged a whole hospital to explode in what looked to be a fairly controlled explosion  icon_twisted

Because I can,
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 08, 2010, 10:24:58 AM »

Watched it. Really enjoyed it. It was great seeing Indy again with whip , hat and jacket. Ford just makes that role come alive. Hearing the music was way cool too. great memories. I'd say only 2 things struck me as different...1 is of course Ford is older and that popped up during parts of the movie but not the whole move through..and 2...there didn't seem to be as much action in it. maybe there was but after it was over and I was thinking about it thats one thing that came to mind. I thought it fit well with the other 3. I'd like a Indy 5 now.

I'm guessing they made his dad deceased because they could not afford Sean Connery? smile Anyways very good movie.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 08, 2010, 01:14:33 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on August 08, 2010, 10:24:58 AM

I'm guessing they made his dad deceased because they could not afford Sean Connery? smile Anyways very good movie.

Sean Connery has retired from acting(i think it was the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen that made him give it all up),they did ask him,but he refused...although in a decently nice way by saying that if he did come out of retirement Indiana Jones would of been the perfect film for him to do so

he usually just does Voice Overs now for Commercials and video games

on another note i thought it was nice that they had the Statue of Marcus(Denholm Elliot who died in 1992 of AIDS)

not sure why Sallah didn't appear(John Rhys-Davis)..he may of been too busy filming Anaconda 3 and 4 Tongue...i am kinda hoping he will play Gloin(Gimli's father) in The Hobbit,if it ever starts shooting

SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 08, 2010, 06:38:23 PM »

That's not what I meant at all but thanks for the snarky comment.

When people referr to a good action movie Die Hard is usually at the top of the list. Batman Returns is another good example. You don't have to turn your brain off to enjoy those movies. Yes there are plot holes and some things seem fantastical but that is a part of the movie and makes it enjoyable.

The Dark Knight engages you because it had a great villian in it. I'm basically saying that all the parts of the movies that create the whole make something that is engaging and you can get into.

Indy 4 had none of this, a big ass action sequence through a jungle that looked horrible, sprinkled with little bits of nostalgia for people that enjoyed the first movies and then, since he watched it now, fucking aliens. This was not true Indiana Jones. Good movie use every part to make it enjoyable, this doesn't require you to turn your brain off since you can enjoy it on different levels. Die Hard had comedy along with the action and a great protagonist. Batman was fun because a lot of people went in with an idea of what Batman is and Nolan showed ways that that idea can be changed. Yes if you nitpick things you can tear any movie apart.

Indy 4 didn't even need to be nitpicked to show how shitty it is.

cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 08, 2010, 06:44:59 PM »

You know what? I don't even remember Indy 4. I remember watching it. I remember the jungle swinging. I remember the refrigerator and the bad ending. I do not remember the monkeys at all.

So I guess I would say Indy 4 was an utterly forgettable movie.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 08, 2010, 06:53:31 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on August 08, 2010, 01:14:33 PM

Sean Connery has retired from acting(i think it was the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen that made him give it all up),they did ask him,but he refused...although in a decently nice way by saying that if he did come out of retirement Indiana Jones would of been the perfect film for him to do so

yeah, it sucks, but at least he went out on a high note.

Because I can,
Biyobi

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 08, 2010, 07:18:40 PM »

Quote from: SkyLander on August 08, 2010, 06:38:23 PM

That's not what I meant at all but thanks for the snarky comment.

When people referr to a good action movie Die Hard is usually at the top of the list. Batman Returns is another good example. You don't have to turn your brain off to enjoy those movies. Yes there are plot holes and some things seem fantastical but that is a part of the movie and makes it enjoyable.

The Dark Knight engages you because it had a great villian in it. I'm basically saying that all the parts of the movies that create the whole make something that is engaging and you can get into.

Indy 4 had none of this, a big ass action sequence through a jungle that looked horrible, sprinkled with little bits of nostalgia for people that enjoyed the first movies and then, since he watched it now, fucking aliens. This was not true Indiana Jones. Good movie use every part to make it enjoyable, this doesn't require you to turn your brain off since you can enjoy it on different levels. Die Hard had comedy along with the action and a great protagonist. Batman was fun because a lot of people went in with an idea of what Batman is and Nolan showed ways that that idea can be changed. Yes if you nitpick things you can tear any movie apart.

Indy 4 didn't even need to be nitpicked to show how shitty it is.

Sweet Jeebus, please tell me you meant Batman Begins? saywhat
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 08, 2010, 07:57:18 PM »

Yes I meant Batman Begins.

YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN.

heloder
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 09, 2010, 02:58:28 AM »

Quote from: Eel Snave on August 08, 2010, 03:12:42 AM

When he measures the sand in the bag to match the idol? It was immediately obvious he should have added more sand.

I thought he added too much sand and it caused the pressure plate to sink.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 09, 2010, 03:27:28 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 08, 2010, 06:53:31 PM

was that one of your....'jokes'? Tongue

i just remembered something else about this film that was pretty shit-The Ants...i swear they must of been watching the Mummy with the scarabs in it before filming that part

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 09, 2010, 02:08:51 PM »

You're all wrong:  They weren't aliens.  They were from another dimension.  TWIST!!

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 09, 2010, 02:15:49 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on August 09, 2010, 03:27:28 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on August 08, 2010, 06:53:31 PM

was that one of your....'jokes'? Tongue

I like League.  it was a fun 'turn off your brain movie'.

Because I can,
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: August 09, 2010, 02:45:23 PM »

Oh, no, you di'int.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: