http://gamingtrend.com
September 23, 2014, 04:39:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it time to forgive Mel Gibson?  (Read 639 times)
metallicorphan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 16, 2011, 01:59:49 PM »

This weekend Robert Downey Jr accepted an award for American Cinematheque ,where RDJ spoke about it being time for Hollywood to forgive Mel Gibson
http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/44918712/30311385
Downey, who had well-publicized bouts with drinking and drug abuse, said that by sticking up for Gibson, he was simply returning the favor. After his imprisonment and arrests on drug charges made him uninsurable and thus prevented him from being hired in Hollywood, it was Gibson who stepped up and paid his insurance bond on the 2003 film "The Singing Detective."

"He kept a roof over my head and put food on my table," Downey remembered.

He said that all Gibson asked in return was that Downey do the same for another person who was struggling.

"It is reasonable to assume he didn't know the next guy would be him," Downey joked.

Gibson pretty much hit self destruct last year with his drunken Anti-Semetic rants(which wasn't his first,i think his father also denied the Holocaust ever happened,not sure if Mel agreed) in general and at police officers and his foul abuse of ex-girlfriend Oksana Grigorieva,who he has admitted hitting her and also threatening to kill her

I grew up watching the Mad Max films(Road Warrior) and Lethal Weapons and they were great,but even before the shit hit the fan his films had taken a nosedive

Is it time to forgive Mel Gibson,or is what he said and done just too much?(talking about his rants and violence,not the movie 'What Women Want'  Tongue )

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 02:12:15 PM »

No it's not.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 03:21:31 PM »

I've heard he's actually a pretty decent guy according to many folks.  Yes, he's homophobic and anti-semetic, but the answer to solving those kind of things is not to shun the person who espouses those things, but to teach them they're wrong.  We only end up reinforcing those negative traits by giving the person something to blame for their faults, when they should be looking inward.

Also, I really, really, really want a 4th Mad Max film.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 03:39:20 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on October 16, 2011, 03:21:31 PM

I've heard he's actually a pretty decent guy according to many folks.  Yes, he's homophobic and anti-semetic, but the answer to solving those kind of things is not to shun the person who espouses those things, but to teach them they're wrong.  We only end up reinforcing those negative traits by giving the person something to blame for their faults, when they should be looking inward.

I wonder if those "many folks" were ever on the receiving end of one of his drunken phone calls? Or if they just "SMILED AND BL#W HIM!".

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 03:53:15 PM »

I was never mad at him.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2011, 04:00:09 PM »

I've done bad things as well, and I like it whenever people have had it in their hearts to forgive me. I mean, no-one wants to be left alone forever

No-one should be shunned forever, unless of course, we're talking totally unforgivable things like murder, incest and other horrible crimes.

I say its time as well.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 04:02:10 PM by Razgon » Logged

A new one
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2011, 04:24:03 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on October 16, 2011, 03:39:20 PM

I wonder if those "many folks" were ever on the receiving end of one of his drunken phone calls? Or if they just "SMILED AND BL#W HIM!".

He only did that to you once and you're still pissed that he didn't follow through???  HE DIALED THE WRONG NUMBER BY MISTAKE, for god's sake!

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2011, 07:21:20 PM »

Mel hasn't been part of the plans for the 4th Mad Max film for some time.   (As an aside, that film seems to be cursed.  It was supposed to start filming last fall but the area of Australia they were going to shoot in, which was used for Mad Max 2 and 3, has gotten so much rain in recent years it doesn't even look like the same place.  So now the film is delayed again while they figure out where they are going to film it.)

As for Gibson, most of his issues seem drinking related.  Assuming he is making an honest effort to fix that, there is no reason why people should continue to hold his mistakes against him.  Then again, I seperate actors personal lives from their roles, so it really doesn't matter to me.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2011, 08:47:34 PM »

Quote from: Sarkus on October 16, 2011, 07:21:20 PM

It was supposed to start filming last fall but the area of Australia they were going to shoot in, which was used for Mad Max 2 and 3, has gotten so much rain in recent years it doesn't even look like the same place.  So now the film is delayed again while they figure out where they are going to film it.

there's plenty of desert around the US for them to use.

Because I can,
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2011, 10:12:49 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on October 16, 2011, 02:12:15 PM

No it's not.

Any particular reason why?

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2011, 11:11:37 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 16, 2011, 08:47:34 PM

Quote from: Sarkus on October 16, 2011, 07:21:20 PM

It was supposed to start filming last fall but the area of Australia they were going to shoot in, which was used for Mad Max 2 and 3, has gotten so much rain in recent years it doesn't even look like the same place.  So now the film is delayed again while they figure out where they are going to film it.

there's plenty of desert around the US for them to use.

Sure, but that would be more expensive.  Mad Max 4 was originally supposed to start filiming back in 2003 - in Namibia, because it was cheaper to film it there then Australia.  Officially that shoot was postponed because of security concerns after the US invasion of Iraq (though there are rumors the financing was shaky).  When filming popped back up on Miller's schedule in 2009, they got tax breaks and other incentives to do it in Australia, but the weather has wiped that out.  So its likely going to end up back in Namibia, but who knows when.  Miller will supposedly be focusing on the next Mad Max now that Happy Feet 2 is about to be released.

Back to Gibson, he does still have projects in the works, so its not like he's been blacklisted.

- American Dad
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2011, 11:40:42 PM »

I'm able to have concerns about him but still like the movies. Just rewatched Braveheart last week, and I love it as much today as when it came out.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2011, 01:08:07 AM »

Last i heard about Mad Max 4(Mad Max:Fury Road),Mel Gibson had rejected the script and Tom Hardy was brought in to play Max and Charlize Theron was also in it,playing his wife(i think it was to be a prequel,which doesn't really make sense as it was retelling what happened in Mad Max 1,so i am guessing it wasn't actually Mad Max 4 at all,maybe that was a working title)..however,the film has been taken off both of their IMDb pages now

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2011, 01:19:06 AM »

Tom Hardy as Max?  I could see that working.  Too bad it fell apart.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2011, 01:19:31 AM »

Quote from: hepcat on October 17, 2011, 01:19:06 AM

it's still on.

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2011, 01:55:32 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 17, 2011, 01:19:31 AM

Quote from: hepcat on October 17, 2011, 01:19:06 AM

it's still on.

that's very cool,looking forward to it

however,from that link
The original Mad Max, saw Mel Gibson's lawman seek vengeance on a biker group that killed his family. While the sequels lost their way a bit, the original is still a classic piece of post apocalyptic cinema. Fury Road is also set to star Charlize Theron and should hopefully start filming over the coming months.

Number 2 was the best one!!

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

sorry to derail the thread how about this question about Mel

should he go back to Directing for now? here are the past films he directed

The Man Without a Face
BraveHeart
The Passion of the Christ
Apocalypto

i have liked the first two films,but not seen the second two(and to be honest,I haven't really got any desire to see those last two)

Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2011, 07:47:55 AM »

I've heard Apocalypto isn't bad, it was just lost in the aftermath of his first anti-semitic outburst.  From what I've read he's looking at doing another religious themed project next and directing it, so he may be going in a direction that many won't be interested in anyway.

- American Dad
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2011, 08:33:30 AM »

Apocalypto is a decent movie, but feels like a ripoff of the classic Norwegian movie Pathfinder with a different culture.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2011, 01:49:48 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on October 17, 2011, 08:33:30 AM

Apocalypto is a decent movie, but feels like a ripoff of the classic Norwegian movie Pathfinder with a different culture.

There are classic Norwegian films?
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2011, 01:50:13 PM »

Classic?

Boy, you guys are sure hurting for films.   Tongue

Apocalypto surprised me.  I rented it thinking it was going to be some form of intellectual philosophical treatment on man's inhumanity to man in the form of the Spanish slaughtering the natives, but it turned out to be a pretty dang good action film.  

kratz

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2011, 04:15:57 PM »

Yeah, Apocalypto was good.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2011, 08:53:58 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on October 17, 2011, 01:50:13 PM

Classic?

Boy, you guys are sure hurting for films.   Tongue

Oooh, it's on! slywink

I'm of course referring to this movie, which indeed is a classic. The movie you linked to is an Americanization of the Norwegian one, and a pale imitation at best, a horribly crappy movie at worst.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2011, 08:55:17 PM »

I just rated it 1.0 on IMDB cuz TiLT likes it. slywink

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: