http://gamingtrend.com
December 21, 2014, 08:53:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Gamingtrend dying, or we are all just on a break?  (Read 6477 times)
The Grue
Gaming Trend Senior Member

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: January 19, 2013, 12:39:18 AM »

Forums have been fairly slow for me on Chrome, but for some reason today has been much better.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Gromit

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 19, 2013, 01:09:31 AM »

ninja
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 19, 2013, 02:00:43 AM »

It's cool to see some long familiar names show back up in this thread.  I like the idea of an i'm new thread stuck at the top...not sure how much that will help, but it can't hurt.
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 19, 2013, 03:37:03 AM »

As a former regular, I just wanted to chime in that I'm still here lurking. I don't think I've posted much in the past five years or so, but I still read the forums regularly, often many times a day. I went through a really rough patch in my life and fell out of the habit of posting. Even though things are much, much better now I never really started participating again.

Even though I haven't posted that much, I do want to emphasize how important this place is to me and how much I appreciate the work Ron and all the staff members do to keep this site running. I won't make this thread about me by going into details of what went wrong five years ago, but even when things were at their most difficult, I always came back here because of the community here. Being able to read this site and forget about my problems for a while was a real blessing. 

Once again, thanks for all the effort keeping this site running. I'll end by giving some good news: I got married a year and a half ago and our first child (a boy) was born on December 13th! Maybe he'll be a regular on the forum someday if Ron keeps it going that long. smile
The Rocketman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 22, 2013, 02:28:02 PM »

I'll try to post more as well. I've been a regular since the day this site was born, but because I'm not that good at expressing myself in english I don't post that much.

And I'd hate to see this site go, it's my daily escape to read about pc games (since almost none of my friends are gamers).
greeneggsnham
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 22, 2013, 02:53:27 PM »

/stealth mode toggle

Lurking....

/stealth mode toggle
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: January 22, 2013, 02:58:52 PM »

What's this liberal commie agenda about inclusion? I say we build a fence to keep the rabble out! *shakes fist*

icon_razz
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 23, 2013, 04:28:00 PM »

I have to admit that these forums used to be a daily stop for me but now I'm checking in maybe once a week. A big reason is that my gaming has dwindled to almost nothing. I basically play the latest NHL, CoD, or Assassin's Creed, and that's it. Every time I think about diving into a big complex RPG I look at my 2.5 year old running around the house and realize I'll NEVER have the time to get properly involved in something like that for a long, long time. So I've distanced myself from the gaming community a bit only because my interest has dropped off dramatically. I have no interest in reviews, top 10 charts, previews, etc because 95% of the stuff I'll never play.

But I still come to this forum and OO because I really like the people that participate in these communities. But I'm more interested in the Non-Gaming discussions. And GamingTrend's Off Topic forum is basically a movie and TV show forum. OO has more varied Non-Gaming topics to discuss so I find myself there more often these days. This is still my go-to place for Gaming discussions but I find I have less use for them now then before.

Nothing against this site at all quality-wise because it looks like there's a lot of hard work being spent on it. I'm just no longer the target audience. But I don't think my situation is unique and a lot of the "Originals" from the CG and GG days are finding less and less time for gaming. So we're posting less. Which causes a downward spiral in forum activity.

I'm not sure there is a solution at this point. Time moves on. C'est la vie and all that.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 23, 2013, 04:34:29 PM »

My big issue is that gaming sites are blocked at my company.    I mean I simply don't post as much unless someone else is paying me to do so.  slywink

Actually we just set up an employee wireless network that, so far, doesn't block game sites.    I'm back in business for now.
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 23, 2013, 06:22:07 PM »

I'm one of the culprits who used to post regulary and have since faded into lurkdom.  Pharmacy school leaves little time to even see my wife with any regularity, so posting on GT has become a rarity.  I stop in from time to time to catch up on current events, the goings-on in the community, and check out different discussions, but that's all I really have time for anymore.  I do miss feeling like a regular part of the community, as I miss being a regular part of the lives of my friends and family, but since August I've become somewhat of a ghost.  I knew pharmacy school would require major sacrifices, but that doesn't make my scarcity any easier. 

Rest assured I still visit when time allows. 

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 23, 2013, 08:23:07 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on January 23, 2013, 06:22:07 PM

I'm one of the culprits who used to post regulary and have since faded into lurkdom.  Pharmacy school leaves little time to even see my wife with any regularity, so posting on GT has become a rarity.  I stop in from time to time to catch up on current events, the goings-on in the community, and check out different discussions, but that's all I really have time for anymore.  I do miss feeling like a regular part of the community, as I miss being a regular part of the lives of my friends and family, but since August I've become somewhat of a ghost.  I knew pharmacy school would require major sacrifices, but that doesn't make my scarcity any easier. 

Rest assured I still visit when time allows. 

Hey PeteRock!   Welcome to the forums.   Can you tell us a little about yourself?

icon_biggrin
Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 23, 2013, 09:03:48 PM »

I have never posted too much here or at GG, but a few things have me here less often.  Like others have said, my gaming has decreased.  There just aren't that many games out there that I'm drooling for.  Plus, I'm a PC gamer and the combination of the forums just seemed to water down the pc gaming even more.  Also, I was surprised to just arrive one day and find the forums merged without prior discussion.  Apparently there was a dicussion going on in a thread someplace that morphed into the merger topic, but unless one was already invovled, one wouldn't see the debate.  It's not that I needed to be asked for permission - it's just that a heads up would have been nice.  Perhaps there was a heads up and I just missed it?

I don't know why I wasn't a follower on Facebook but I just like the page.  I think the Front page looks pretty good, but I usually come straight to the forums.  I'm trying to change that and take the time to read the page.

OO tends to cover more of the games I like, but the snark and drama drive me away pretty quickly.  In short, I don't think the place is dying, but my type of gaming is becoming even more niche oriented.

If the road home crosses any landscape features that include words like "forgotten," "void," "razorthorn," "shadowmist," or "doom," then I vote that we take a nap first.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 24, 2013, 01:00:53 AM »

I've decided to use my inane topic starting skills to get a little more going here. 
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 30, 2013, 04:36:33 AM »

I'm another who has mostly become a lurker, other than starting the 'Weekend Playlist' thread. Ever since I moved to NYC this past July, my gaming hobby has taken a backseat to myself getting settled in a new life. I left my 'good government job' with Social Security back in May and now I'm reconstructing my life and pursuing filmmaking more hands on in the big apple. I can't afford new games and my internet connection at home is currently horrible, so I just lurk here occasionally and read others opinions on games.
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 31, 2013, 07:20:48 PM »

Just chiming in to say that I am now much more likely to visit the front page when I see something go by in the FB feed.
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: February 02, 2013, 03:24:58 PM »

Less gaming + The lame forum merger + too many topics started with just links elsewhere = less posting/visiting.  The last one has gotten better but those are the big three reasons I don't frequent as much.  However, I have always set GT to go to the front page first instead of the forums to at least give Ron some hits.  I must say that the content/design of it has gotten so much better over the last 6+ months that I frequently spend as much time there as browsing the forums.  The quality of writing has gone up on the reviews as has their longwindedfanboyishness gone down (new word!).  I actually find them useful and a good read now.  Not meant as a slight as these things take practice to get good at I am sure.  Plus I am really digging the 'industry' type articles that have been going up with more frequency.  Looking forward to the new changes and applaud the staffs dedication to the site even if I do get a little put off on their tone when defending it at times.  It is their baby though.  My biggest gripe is the hyperlinking (viglink or whatever)on key words on the forums.  I miss click those obnoxious things all the time and find them incredibly annoying, especially while surfing on my phone.  Why would you want to direct your readers to a different site?  I guess monetary reasons but hot damn I hate those things.

edit:  LOL vigilink auto linked itself.  I hate it!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 03:26:31 PM by morlac » Logged

morlac00 on PSN
stessier

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 03, 2013, 01:19:15 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on January 23, 2013, 04:34:29 PM

My big issue is that gaming sites are blocked at my company.    I mean I simply don't post as much unless someone else is paying me to do so.  slywink
This happened to me too.  Now I only visit if it occurs to me on the weekends.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: February 03, 2013, 03:12:06 PM »

Quote from: morlac on February 02, 2013, 03:24:58 PM

My biggest gripe is the hyperlinking (viglink or whatever)on key words on the forums.  I miss click those obnoxious things all the time and find them incredibly annoying, especially while surfing on my phone.  Why would you want to direct your readers to a different site?  I guess monetary reasons but hot damn I hate those things.

Are you sure that's not something on your end?  'Cause I have no idea what you're referring to.
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 03, 2013, 03:14:25 PM »

Quote from: Laner on February 03, 2013, 03:12:06 PM

My biggest gripe is the hyperlinking (viglink or whatever)on key words on the forums.  I miss click those obnoxious things all the time and find them incredibly annoying, especially while surfing on my phone.  Why would you want to direct your readers to a different site?  I guess monetary reasons but hot damn I hate those things.

Are you sure that's not something on your end?  'Cause I have no idea what you're referring to.

Certainly possible, but this is the only site I visit that has it.  I suppose I need to add crappy performance/security issues to my list of reasons
I don't visit as often.  

edit: just flagged GT as untrusted via No script and it went away.  So yea, don't visit as much  LOL.

Edit2:  Nope definitely not on my end.  As Suspected it is a revenue stream for GT.  http://support.viglink.com/forums/20361846-general-questions
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 03:46:30 PM by morlac » Logged

morlac00 on PSN
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 03, 2013, 03:53:29 PM »

Quote from: morlac on February 03, 2013, 03:14:25 PM

My biggest gripe is the hyperlinking (viglink or whatever)on key words on the forums.  I miss click those obnoxious things all the time and find them incredibly annoying, especially while surfing on my phone.  Why would you want to direct your readers to a different site?  I guess monetary reasons but hot damn I hate those things.

Are you sure that's not something on your end?  'Cause I have no idea what you're referring to.

Certainly possible, but this is the only site I visit that has it.  I suppose I need to add crappy performance/security issues to my list of reasons
I don't visit as often.  

edit: just flagged GT as untrusted via No script and it went away.  So yea, don't visit as much  LOL.

Edit2:  Nope definitely not on my end.  As Suspected it is a revenue stream for GT.  http://support.viglink.com/forums/20361846-general-questions

Honestly, I still have no idea what this viglink thing is.  I don't see any of the hyperlinking you're talking about at all.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 03, 2013, 03:59:17 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on February 03, 2013, 03:53:29 PM

Quote from: morlac on February 03, 2013, 03:14:25 PM

I don't visit as often.  

Edit2:  Nope definitely not on my end.  As Suspected it is a revenue stream for GT.  http://support.viglink.com/forums/20361846-general-questions

Honestly, I still have no idea what this viglink thing is.  I don't see any of the hyperlinking you're talking about at all.

Then you must have something that disables it. For me they're all over the place and I find it annoying. I didn't mind it being used when someone posted a link to something specific but now anytime mentions anything it knows (can find?) a website for it links to it - like Amazon or eBay of even itself. For example, in your original (not quoted) post the word "viglink" is a link, if I hover over it is says "Link added by VigLink" and it links to itself. I'm sure both of my examples will be links as well. Now I have to hover over a link that I think someone has added to see if it's just another generic viglinklink.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 04:00:54 PM by MonkeyFinger » Logged

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 03, 2013, 04:34:34 PM »

Yep, that is how to works.  If you have a script blocker running you will not see it.  I have mine running on here now but no help for surfing with my iphone so I guess Ill just stop doing that.  I'm sure there is a way to disable it for mobiles but I just can't be bothered to be honest.

morlac00 on PSN
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #142 on: February 03, 2013, 04:42:58 PM »

So Viglink is just a way for us to generate a little revenue to pay the bills.  That's correct.  It's not nefarious or anything like that - it simply says "Oh, hey, you are talking about Dead Space 3 - I'm gonna link that to Amazon so if anyone wants to pre-order it, GT gets a small cut". 

If you could take a picture of how prevalent this is for you I'd appreciate it, because from my experience it's somewhat rare.  (And obviously I'm not blocking my own site since that's cutting off my own revenue stream)   I stopped asking folks for donations, so I've gotta try to pay the bills somehow, no?

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 03, 2013, 04:49:47 PM »

I guess I must be blocking it, but I haven't noticed it on the iPhone or iPad either.  Mostly I use Chrome on those, though.  I'll have to check Safari again.

EDIT: Yes, I see it on Safari.  On other sites, I've seen links like these appear with double lines under them, so they look different than standard links.  Is there a way to do something like that on GT?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 05:05:15 PM by Bullwinkle » Logged

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 04, 2013, 02:47:59 PM »

My sig is a perma  link to Amazon. I should get a cut! slywink
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: