http://gamingtrend.com
August 01, 2014, 01:48:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Blu-Ray here to stay?  (Read 4533 times)
Lordnine
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2008, 05:37:44 AM »

I watch movies over a lot… I don’t have cable of satellite TV… Am I the only one?
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2008, 05:58:52 AM »

But even when digital distribution goes "mainstream" I hope there is still a physical format option for people like me that actually like to buy a tangible object. I'll probably use digital distribution primarily to rent, but buy things I want to own in a physical format.

The idea of owning media will be a laughable concept. Kids today are already completely comfortable buying music online that they will never hold in their hands. Their kids may not even understand the idea of walking into a store and buying a CD.

I don't think physical media will be rendered truly obsolete until we have the proper infrastructure to support proper digital distribution, but as far as the idea of it goes, the "physical media" generation is rapidly being replaced. In a world where anybody can access a piece of media at anytime, there will be absolutely no reason to have a physical copy in hand that could get damaged or lost.
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2008, 07:12:55 AM »

in the past few weeks, i've had the opportunity to watch both Wall-E and The Dark Knight on BluRay, both on my 50" 1080p HDTV with either Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD audio...and the experience is clearly beyond anything i've watched on standard DVD.  i can understand if some people don't get the appeal to HD video or BluRay, but for those of us who are interested in this type of thing, the experience is incredible.  i'll continue to spend my money on BluRay as long as i keep getting the same kind of experience.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2008, 07:50:46 AM »

Quote from: mori on December 14, 2008, 04:00:14 AM

What is the point of buying Batman The Dark Knight today when there will be a special special edition a year from now? Another better special edition two years from now? Another even better special edition on a better format 3-5 years from now? Are you going to buy every edition? The studios must love consumers like you.

So your solution is to buy nothing, ever?  And no studios probably don't love me because I own one DVD and one Blu-ray (Spiderman which came with the PS3).  But the video game companies must love me because I bought a PS1 and then I bought a PS2 and then I bought a PS3!  If I followed your line of reasoning then I was stupid for buying any of them because a new one will be out in 5 years anyways.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2008, 08:56:46 AM »

Quote from: Canuck on December 14, 2008, 07:50:46 AM

What is the point of buying Batman The Dark Knight today when there will be a special special edition a year from now? Another better special edition two years from now? Another even better special edition on a better format 3-5 years from now? Are you going to buy every edition? The studios must love consumers like you.

So your solution is to buy nothing, ever?  And no studios probably don't love me because I own one DVD and one Blu-ray (Spiderman which came with the PS3).  But the video game companies must love me because I bought a PS1 and then I bought a PS2 and then I bought a PS3!  If I followed your line of reasoning then I was stupid for buying any of them because a new one will be out in 5 years anyways.

Or, to further your argument, you could just buy Batman now and not buy any of the special editions.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
mori
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 14, 2008, 01:30:50 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on December 14, 2008, 07:50:46 AM

Why buy when I can sit at home and have Netflix send it to me anytime I want (I may have to wait my turn because of availability at the moment). I will eventually have them send me the updated version or view it from an electronic download. I did not have to buy it multiple times.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 14, 2008, 01:39:20 PM »

Yeah I'm not a big collector.  I bet that for every 50 DVD's I rent I end up buying one.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 14, 2008, 01:55:58 PM »

I was in no way attempting to make a case for people switching to BR over DVD. My contention was with Daehawk's very odd question "why do people buy movies". People buy movies for the same reason they buy music CD's. They want to enjoy the media at their whim, and more than once. Purchased DVD's (and esp BR) also often contain a large amount of extra material to enjoy as well that your PPV isn't going to have. I mean, duh.

This argument I'm seeing that it's a waste to collect movies because the format is going to eventually change is, IMO, bizarre. Do you anti-movie-collectors feel the same way about music? just curious. Do you buy any junk food? beer? Gee I hope not, because those things have no nutritional value, and are just going to be ejected from your body as waste. smile
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 14, 2008, 02:39:02 PM »

I pay $15 a month for the two-at-a-time Netflix, including the $1 for blu-ray access.  A quick look at our rental history shows my wife and I average 7 Netflix movies a month, so about $2 a rental (taking Instant Download out of the equation).

(Price of DVD or Blu-Ray) / 2 = number of times I need to watch a movie for a purchase to be a better deal than Netflixing it multiple times.

There are very few movies I'd watch 15 times, so $30 purchases are out.  Some movies I'd watch 10 times, so I'd consider discs on sale for $20.
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 14, 2008, 03:54:24 PM »

I personally have no interest in upgrading to Blu Ray at this point.

The cost of the Blu Ray DVDs is way too much for me to justify. $20 to $30 a movie, for the most part. Versus $5 to $10 for a DVD. Plus, I only upgraded to DVD in 2000. I'm not convinced that the video quality will be good enough on my $500 TV.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 14, 2008, 04:19:11 PM »

Pay Per View movies are puppies.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 14, 2008, 04:20:28 PM »

Quote from: DragonFyre on December 14, 2008, 03:54:24 PM

The cost of the Blu Ray DVDs is way too much for me to justify. $20 to $30 a movie, for the most part. Versus $5 to $10 for a DVD. Plus, I only upgraded to DVD in 2000. I'm not convinced that the video quality will be good enough on my $500 TV.

I don't disagree that Blu-Ray is more expensive, but who is selling DVD's at $5-$10? Amazon.ca was selling The Dark Knight DVD for $26.99 and BD for $26.95.
mori
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 14, 2008, 11:13:22 PM »

Quote from: Jeff Jones on December 14, 2008, 01:55:58 PM

This argument I'm seeing that it's a waste to collect movies because the format is going to eventually change is, IMO, bizarre. Do you anti-movie-collectors feel the same way about music? just curious. Do you buy any junk food? beer? Gee I hope not, because those things have no nutritional value, and are just going to be ejected from your body as waste. smile

The last music CD I bought was at 5+ years ago. I buy everything on iTunes now. Maybe that will be outdated and useless someday as well.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: December 14, 2008, 11:57:55 PM »

Quote from: JayDee on December 14, 2008, 04:20:28 PM

Quote from: DragonFyre on December 14, 2008, 03:54:24 PM

I don't disagree that Blu-Ray is more expensive, but who is selling DVD's at $5-$10? Amazon.ca was selling The Dark Knight DVD for $26.99 and BD for $26.95.

Well, places like Target and Walmart have lots of DVDs for $5-10 and new releases are frequently on sale for $12-16. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: December 15, 2008, 04:23:06 AM »

Quote from: mori on December 14, 2008, 11:13:22 PM

Quote from: Jeff Jones on December 14, 2008, 01:55:58 PM

The last music CD I bought was at 5+ years ago. I buy everything on iTunes now. Maybe that will be outdated and useless someday as well.

Yeah, collected music CDs for a few years, but I last bought a few used CDs about 3-4 years ago. Nothing since then. I mostly listen to Shoutcast radio. Maybe I should try to sell off my 200-or-so CDs while they still have some value. I never, ever, listen to them after I ripped all the good songs to MP3 years ago.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: