http://gamingtrend.com
October 26, 2014, 10:01:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is a bit of green mold bad for you?  (Read 1085 times)
jpinard
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: May 03, 2008, 01:36:24 AM »

So I was hungry and made a beautiful butter, peanut butter, and honey sandwich.  I was halfway through my sandwich and was putting the bread bag back on the shelf and noticed the whole underside was fuzzy.  No clue how I missed it, but I had eaten quite a bit of mold.  I'd put so much honey and butter on it I'd not noticed the sharp taste of it.

I hate to waste and almost thought of finishing it anyways since it was barely colored, but tossed it out since I've been having some painful GI problems for the past week & a half.  Question - do you think bread mold is bad for someone with a suppressed immune system?  After all, some antibiotics come from mold so it can't be all bad?  I'm also curious if a person ate enough bread-mold if it could cause nausea/vomiting like food poisoning?
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2008, 01:42:06 AM »

It was nice knowing you.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2008, 01:44:00 AM »

I'd guess the worst you will get will just be the queasy feeling that an overactive mind will make you feel and that's about it. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2008, 01:51:25 AM »

Good news - your polio is cured!
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2008, 02:12:23 AM »

Quote from: jpinard on May 03, 2008, 01:36:24 AM

After all, some antibiotics come from mold so it can't be all bad? 

Dude,  its awesome that you wrote your own epitaph!

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2008, 02:26:36 AM »

You ate a butter, peanut butter, and honey sandwich and you're concerned about whether the mold was bad for you?  It was probably the healthiest thing you ate icon_razz

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
jpinard

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2008, 02:36:27 AM »

hehe.   Tongue

Actually my curiosity is what happens to someone who eats a substantial amount of bread mold.  My first thought is nothing or you'd have ridiculous warning labels on stuff and a plethora of old wives tales.  But ironically when you look up:
bread mold toxins
the first link is a FATAL ERROR

edit
Answered my own question.  Found this:  http://www.fsis.usda.gov/Fact_Sheets/Molds_on_Food/
« Last Edit: May 03, 2008, 02:43:53 AM by jpinard » Logged
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2008, 05:32:00 AM »

I you're overreacting.  Two pieces of bread with mold on the bottom do not equal "a substantial amount of mold."

To be honest, if you haven't thrown up by now, I wouldn't worry about it.  Most of that stuff is not as bad as people make it out to be.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2008, 07:03:07 AM »

Quote from: EddieA on May 03, 2008, 02:26:36 AM

You ate a butter, peanut butter, and honey sandwich and you're concerned about whether the mold was bad for you?  It was probably the healthiest thing you ate icon_razz

This was my thought as well. In fact, I still can't get over that particular set of ingredients. WTF.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2008, 01:02:33 PM »

I ate some slimy packaged ham a few months ago (it was "preservative free", and I think I'll stick with preserved deli meats, thank you) and survived, so I think you'll be OK.

It won't hurt you, from what I've read (who knows? Maybe your peanut butter went bad). I don't think bread mold's going to give you salmonella (which is more from meats). But if you have any lingering problems then for crying out loud see a doctor about it.  icon_smile

Actually, of late I've started scribbling "sell by" or "eat this by" dates on certain things on my fridge with a Sharpie. Most packaged deli meats (the preserved kind) warn you to eat it within a week of opening no matter how air tight you store it, for example. I hurriedly made a sandwich for work yesterday so some opened meats would "beat the deadline."

I'd recommend The Sharpie Calendar Dating Method if like me you pay no attention to how old the stuff is you have in there (or a Post-It Note on your breadbox).  icon_razz

Lastly, my mom is a big fan of throwing bread - as soon as she bought it - in the freezer, where it'll last virtually forever. You can either pop slices in the microwave or in the fridge overnight to thaw, and generally it still tastes fine and chances are will be mold-free. icon_biggrin
« Last Edit: May 03, 2008, 01:08:15 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2008, 03:13:22 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on May 03, 2008, 01:02:33 PM

I ate some slimy packaged ham a few months ago (it was "preservative free", and I think I'll stick with preserved deli meats, thank you) and survived, so I think you'll be OK.

Ham is basically preserved based on the fact that it is cured with salt.

Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2008, 07:46:53 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on May 03, 2008, 03:13:22 PM

It can still go bad.  I got food poisoning from ham I ate on Christmas day a few years ago.  I know it was the ham because I tried everything else again and didn't get sick.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2008, 09:08:04 PM »

You're sitting at your PC typing to us instead of sprinting to the porcelain god, so you must be OK.

If you've died, let us know so we can mourn.

CEO of the GT Post Padders Club
JohnathanStrange

Noted Humanitarian

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2008, 09:14:03 PM »

You just don't give up do you? You seize life by the throat and shake it like a topless bartender mixing a martini! -- Mayor Adam West
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2008, 11:20:05 PM »

Quote from: Sarkus on May 03, 2008, 07:46:53 PM

Quote from: The Grue on May 03, 2008, 03:13:22 PM

It can still go bad.  I got food poisoning from ham I ate on Christmas day a few years ago.  I know it was the ham because I tried everything else again and didn't get sick.

I didn't say it couldn't go bad.  I said it was already naturally preserved.

jpinard

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2008, 02:18:28 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on May 03, 2008, 01:02:33 PM

It won't hurt you, from what I've read (who knows? Maybe your peanut butter went bad). I don't think bread mold's going to give you salmonella (which is more from meats). But if you have any lingering problems then for crying out loud see a doctor about it.  icon_smile

Actually, of late I've started scribbling "sell by" or "eat this by" dates on certain things on my fridge with a Sharpie. Most packaged deli meats (the preserved kind) warn you to eat it within a week of opening no matter how air tight you store it, for example. I hurriedly made a sandwich for work yesterday so some opened meats would "beat the deadline."

I'd recommend The Sharpie Calendar Dating Method if like me you pay no attention to how old the stuff is you have in there (or a Post-It Note on your breadbox).  icon_razz

Lastly, my mom is a big fan of throwing bread - as soon as she bought it - in the freezer, where it'll last virtually forever. You can either pop slices in the microwave or in the fridge overnight to thaw, and generally it still tastes fine and chances are will be mold-free. icon_biggrin

Interesting.  I usually let things go a week past exp date figuring producers have built in a sizable grace period (except milk).
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: