http://gamingtrend.com
July 24, 2014, 03:28:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Irvin Kershner is dead  (Read 402 times)
metallicorphan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 29, 2010, 05:21:42 PM »

Empire Strikes Back director has died aged 87

i think most of us feel Empire is the best of the Star Wars series,so sad news ..Richard Marquand director of Jedi died in '87,so there is only one Star Wars Director left now paranoid

http://kotaku.com/5701235/empire-strikes-back-director-irvin-kershner-dead-at-87

Kershner passed away in his Los Angeles home after a long battle with illness.

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 05:29:26 PM »

RIP Irvin...

on a side note people in Hollywood are trembling in fear as they wait for the rule of 3 to kick in.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 05:35:11 PM »

Quote from: rshetts2 on November 29, 2010, 05:29:26 PM

RIP Irvin...

on a side note people in Hollywood are trembling in fear as they wait for the rule of 3 to kick in.

And round and round, it goes! Who will it be? Who will it be? And round and round it goes...
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 05:44:01 PM »

Every time I say "Abe Vigoda" and every time that son of a bitch just laughs, lights up a cigar and posts a "Thanks Satan!" update on his facebook page...

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 05:50:35 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on November 29, 2010, 05:44:01 PM

Every time I say "Abe Vigoda" and every time that son of a bitch just laughs, lights up a cigar and posts a "Thanks Satan!" update on his facebook page...

Abe Vigoda status page  icon_lol

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 05:57:03 PM »

Was watching and enjoying ESB yesterday.

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 05:58:20 PM »

The funny thing about Kersh is nothing much in his film directing career up to Empire suggested he'd be ideal for that kind of movie. Certainly not "The Eyes of Laura Mars" (from John Carpenter screenplay), or The Flim-Flam Man in the 1960s. The TV movie Raid on Entebbe w/ Charles Bronson was maybe his closest previous experience as far as action stuff goes.

Later in his career after Empire, he seemed to get stereotyped as an "action director," but the scripts didn't seem quite up to his abilities, like the uber-violent Robocop 2 that lacked Robocop's over the top humor; or Sean Connery's last "unofficial" turn as James Bond in Never Say Never Again.

That's one reason I find it funny when fans rage about this or that directing choice for sci-fi, comic book or big action films. You really can't judge most directors on their previous work, except maybe in terms of their care in portraying characters and general storytelling. The best person to direct a sci-fi film might be someone who never directed one before, the ideal person to direct a war film might be someone who never did one before, etc. So I can carp as an old fogey about Lucas picking Richard Marquand for ROTJ as many do, but Kershner made no more sense on paper in terms of his prior track record.

I mentioned it another thread a while back but imho the saddest thing bout Return of the Jedi is that Kershner really wanted to direct the third film, according to interviews with him. He wanted to finish the stories and character arcs they started in Empire, and he wanted to work with the cast again.

I have no doubt he probably would have disagreed with Lucas over the cutesiness of the Ewoks, he might've found a way to give Han Solo a little more to do again (though he probably would've agreed with Lucas that killing him off as Harrison Ford suggested wouldn't be doable), he might've reduced the whole preponderance of Muppets and rampant cutesiness and sappy sentimentality (though when I saw it at age 18 in 1983, I was just happy to see my favorite characters on screen again). Who's to say if the result would've been a better movie or made more money at the box office, it at least would've been different and it stands to reason the director who did so well with the 2nd film could probably do it again.  tear
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 06:06:11 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
McNutt

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2010, 07:32:58 PM »

My guess is Randy Quaid.  Actually, it's already been decided. 
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2010, 09:18:32 PM »

"When 87 years old you reach, have made as a good a movie you will not. HrrrRRRrrmm."

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2010, 09:38:43 PM »

RIP. best of the 6.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2010, 09:39:19 PM »

This sucks.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: