http://gamingtrend.com
July 29, 2014, 11:32:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Iron Man BD issues?  (Read 2177 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: October 01, 2008, 02:13:14 AM »

I rented Ironman on BD so I could watch it on my ps3 and it keeps hanging at the ironman insignia.  I popped it and loaded it about 4 times and it finally went to menu.  I then stopped it for a moment and the disc continued to hang so I called up BB and they said that they were ordered to destroy all their Iron man BDs though the ones they tested seemed to work and they weren't sure why they were told to nuke them.

I took it back in and sure enough it worked on their PS3 no problem.

I did notice that during my play of Uncharted the sound stopped working and when I quit to the main menu the system rebooted (with some kind of error).  i then started the machine up but continued to have problems with the disc.

Anyone else having issues? 
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 02:25:16 AM »

i caught wind of the problems before unwrapping my copy and have done a little searching for some answers...

apparently, it has something to with loading the BD-Live functionality of the IronMan disc.  if you go into the Settings->BD/DVD Settings->BD Internet Connection on the PS3 and set that option to 'Confirm' instead of 'Allow' (the default), you'll be notified that some functionality won't be available when you run the disc, and can choose not to connect to the internet.  after that, it will jump straight to the menu and the movie will play fine...except that you can't access the BD-Live features.  that's the reported workaround that i've seen when looking into the problem...lets you watch the movie, but doesn't get to the root of the problem.  there are also some people reporting that they just let the PS3 sit for a while and the disc did eventually load...sometimes taking 20 minutes or more.  after that initial long loading time, they've been able to insert the disc and have it play normally.

while it is true that Paramount had to recall a bunch of defective discs, they supposedly did a pretty good job of pulling bad discs before the release.  this is apparently another unexpected issue related directly to the BD-Live functionality rather than faulty disc production.  the current running theory is that the problem may have something to do with a large number of people all trying to watch the disc this evening, resulting in a load on the BD-Live content servers that is heavier than expected.  in all honesty, however, it doesn't seem like anyone really knows what's going on...
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 02:49:48 AM by disarm » Logged

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 03:38:11 AM »

expect any trouble returning this if it's unplayable?  i expect the worst from best buy's worst clerks.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
disarm

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 04:16:08 AM »

they shouldn't give you any trouble with an exchange...just don't count on getting your money back if you've taken off the wrapper.  the whole deal, however, is that it's a BD-Live issue...movie and other features play fine if you disable your players ability to load BD-Live content automatically when you insert the disc.  even that apparently isn't the whole story though...

those who have gotten the disc to play with BD-Live support enabled have reported that it's taken anywhere from just a few minutes to a few hours of watching the logo spin for the disc to finally load.  once the disc has successfully loaded, you can supposedly find a quantity of BD-Live data stored on the PS3 hard drive...an amount that is lower if you interrupt the spinning logo and stop the load.  at this point, all signs are pointing to many people experiencing massive delays downloading the small bit of content that is required for the BD-Live features to work the first time you insert the disc.  once that data has been downloaded one time, any subsequent loads of the disc only take a few seconds.  if you disable your players ability to connect to the internet automatically, the disc will load and play normally without the BD-Live content available.  for this same reason, older stand-alone players without BD-Live support will load normally...no check for the content download to slow things down. 

the big question is why the BD-Live download is slow...hopefully just a result of too many people trying to simultaneously watch the movie for their first time tonight.  if that's the case, you should be able to disable the BD-Live feature for now, enjoy the movie, and download the extra content at a later time when demand is lower.  it's all still speculation based on the reported experiences of a lot of people though...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
faide
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2008, 12:10:05 PM »

I had this problem watching it on my PS3 last night.  I disabled the BD live content and it worked fine after that.  I'll probably wait a few days till the load on the servers dies down and fire it up again with the BD turned on to see if it goes any faster. 

Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2008, 01:03:47 PM »

What kind of features does BD Live give? is it worth messing with? And is this something that they can fix later, or is it that if you have a 'bad' disc, you're screwed?
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2008, 08:51:28 PM »

From the Digital Bits website, an explanation of the issue people were having, including a statement from the studio:

The big thing so far today, is that a LOT of people are e-mailing to report problems with the playback of Paramount's Iron Man Blu-ray Disc on the Sony PS3 (and other Sony BD players we hear - the reason is the same, so please read on). As a result, we're getting a lot of people saying that the defective disc wasn't recalled after all (as reported last week), and they must have a bad one, etc. Here's the deal: From what we're told, the disc ISN'T defective. What's happening is that the Sony PS3 (and other Sony players) automatically downloads some of the BD-Live content from the studio servers the first time you boot up the disc. And it appears that Paramount initially underestimated the server load - thousands of people got their discs home yesterday, booted up their PS3s and then experienced long, long wait times while the disc loaded, making it look like the disc had frozen up and wouldn't play. But this morning, the problem appears to be resolving, as server loads are easing. (The studio tells me: "capacity was expanded dramatically last night and local servers were established worldwide to accommodate all the fans.") If you're still having troubles with Disc One of the Iron Man BD playing on your PS3, go into your system set-up menu and temporarily set BD-Live to 'prompt' or 'disable'. Then the disc should boot up fine. Wait a few hours (to allow server loads to ease more), and then restore your BD-Live setting. It might take a few minutes, but all the BD-Live content will download and your disc should work just fine after that. If the problem continues over the next few days - which it shouldn't - we'll get a customer service number for you from the studio. 
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2008, 10:28:18 PM »

great, even ps3 movies need an "install" to work  finger

hopefully this gets the studios to realize this before the next big bd live release hits the shelf or it's going to end up making people believe it's a problem with blu ray. 

that first comment is tongue in cheek if you didn't catch it.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2008, 01:19:25 AM »

Gee, one of the biggest BR releases of the year requires a download by default (and the player that the vast, vast majority of your market is using has online on by default), and you're surprised that server capacity was exceeded? Even better, there's no timeout for the download.  There should be some kind of message saying "We can't get this file for the BD Live features, would you like to keep trying, or watch the damn movie?"  That would eliminate the need to use a workaround to watch your movie.

While I'm ranting about BRs, I'm getting mighty tired of Disney discs having mountains of previews before the menu coming up, and then having Java-based menus that are painfully slow to navigate, then another bunch of things before the movie.  After you hit play on Nightmare Before Christmas, you first have to watch a 30-45 second animated logo for Disney Blu-ray, then a 30-45 second animated logo for Disney.  Come on.

Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2008, 02:12:48 AM »

Quote from: Chaz on October 02, 2008, 01:19:25 AM

While I'm ranting about BRs, I'm getting mighty tired of Disney discs having mountains of previews before the menu coming up, and then having Java-based menus that are painfully slow to navigate, then another bunch of things before the movie.  After you hit play on Nightmare Before Christmas, you first have to watch a 30-45 second animated logo for Disney Blu-ray, then a 30-45 second animated logo for Disney.  Come on.

BBC films and TV shows are horrendous in this regard. My TV series "The Office" (UK) has something like 5-7 minutes of forced previews that you can't skip. This kind of shit amazes me.

Mercifully, the BD version of Planet Earth doesn't have this annoyance, but most regular BBC DVD's do.

Of course, nothing beats the U.S. studio's forced viewing of that incredibly obnoxious "YOU'RE A GODDAMN PIRATE!" video with the wailing police sirens and sickening death metal soundtrack.
jpinard

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2008, 03:04:07 AM »

Wow, thats' terrible.  Do you think any future Blu-Ray players will allow people to skip that junk?  That's just wrong.  and who's going to Pirate Blu-Ray disks anwyas?  That'd be more trouble/expensive than buying the disks on sale.
disarm

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2008, 03:27:14 AM »

Quote from: jpinard on October 02, 2008, 03:04:07 AM

...and who's going to Pirate Blu-Ray disks anwyas?  That'd be more trouble/expensive than buying the disks on sale.

that's exactly what people used to say about copying DVDs.  it's only a matter of time...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2008, 04:48:18 AM »

Quote from: Jeff Jones on October 02, 2008, 02:12:48 AM

Quote from: Chaz on October 02, 2008, 01:19:25 AM

BBC films and TV shows are horrendous in this regard. My TV series "The Office" (UK) has something like 5-7 minutes of forced previews that you can't skip. This kind of shit amazes me.

Mercifully, the BD version of Planet Earth doesn't have this annoyance, but most regular BBC DVD's do.

Of course, nothing beats the U.S. studio's forced viewing of that incredibly obnoxious "YOU'RE A GODDAMN PIRATE!" video with the wailing police sirens and sickening death metal soundtrack.

Are you sure content can’t be skipped?    I use my PS3 and before that I used my Xbox to play movies and I’ve never run into that problem.  Some studios require you to hit the next button, others the menu button but there has only been a handful that I had to actually fast-forward through.  Even then, put it on 100x and they go away fast.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2008, 02:49:03 PM »

The BD-Live issues seem to be resolved now. I just put my disc in and it offered to download the BD-Live features, I selected yes, and it did so in about a minute, and then I was able to access the BDLive features and the main menu. In short, no problems at all.
LoneStarSpur

Glad to be old!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2008, 08:03:24 PM »

Picked up the DVD last week. Thought it was ok...great in parts, bleh in others. Looking forward to the 2nd one. "I am Ironman"...great line for an ending.

But damn! the sound was the absolute worst sound ever. I had to turn my Onkyo up to almost 60 (it's usually below 40) to hear well and then my sub-woofer was being over-driven. Really piss poor quality.

Fallin' feels like flyin'. For a little while. - Bad Blake
You're a funny drunk. - my wife
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2008, 08:07:46 PM »

I thought the movie rocked from start to finish, and had zero issues with sound (Bluray version). The movie requires a suspension of disbelief, for sure, but it achieves it nicely.

Regarding the final line, why did he openly say that to the press? (I don't know much Iron Man history)

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2008, 08:09:10 PM »

Quote from: Jeff Jones on October 07, 2008, 08:07:46 PM

I thought the movie rocked from start to finish, and had zero issues with sound (Bluray version). The movie requires a suspension of disbelief, for sure, but it achieves it nicely.

Regarding the final line, why did he openly say that to the press? (I don't know much Iron Man history)

After further review, I am wrong.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 08:10:50 PM by Isgrimnur » Logged

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2008, 08:29:55 PM »

Quote from: LoneStarSpur on October 07, 2008, 08:03:24 PM

Picked up the DVD last week. Thought it was ok...great in parts, bleh in others. Looking forward to the 2nd one. "I am Ironman"...great line for an ending.

But damn! the sound was the absolute worst sound ever. I had to turn my Onkyo up to almost 60 (it's usually below 40) to hear well and then my sub-woofer was being over-driven. Really piss poor quality.

Agreed on all counts.  Great in parts, meh in others. I found the final fight wholly disappointing.  Great ending line.

I'm sure the second one will be better. 

And yes- the sound was up and down throughout.

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2008, 09:51:35 PM »

Had no problems with the audio on the BR version.  Also, when I started the movie at around 9pm the day after it came out, I had no problem playing it.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2008, 11:09:10 PM »

Tony Stark is a playboy kind of guy in the marvel universe and people know he's the man in the suit.  He keeps his technology secret and is rather obsessive about controlling it.

Thus, it's fitting that he revealed his identity in the movie.
disarm

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2008, 12:00:44 AM »

Quote from: Chaz on October 07, 2008, 09:51:35 PM

Had no problems with the audio on the BR version.  Also, when I started the movie at around 9pm the day after it came out, I had no problem playing it.

it only took my Bluray copy about 90 seconds to load for the first time around mid-afternoon on friday...comes up without any delay now, and looks awesome icon_cool

*Gamertag - disarm78*
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2008, 09:52:57 AM »

The sound is fine, you just have to make sure you turn off DRC/Nightmode on your Onkyo.  The Iron Man blu-ray sometimes activates that mode by default.
LoneStarSpur

Glad to be old!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2008, 11:55:19 AM »

Quote from: KePoW on October 08, 2008, 09:52:57 AM

The sound is fine, you just have to make sure you turn off DRC/Nightmode on your Onkyo.  The Iron Man blu-ray sometimes activates that mode by default.

This was the DVD...after the HD-DVD debacle I refuse to buy a Blu-Ray until they come down in price. And my mean, vicious wife won't let me buy one. slywink

Fallin' feels like flyin'. For a little while. - Bad Blake
You're a funny drunk. - my wife
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2008, 02:51:47 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on October 07, 2008, 08:29:55 PM

Agreed on all counts.  Great in parts, meh in others. I found the final fight wholly disappointing.  Great ending line.

Yeah, that was my feeling as well.  Downey and the rest of the cast were awesome and the script was good but I don't think Favreau is much of an action director, nor is he much of a visual stylist. 
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2008, 03:52:21 PM »

To me, it is because Tony Stark is an egomaniac.  He is exactly the type of person who would reveal his identity and do so on TV.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: