So I go looking for the iPod Nano I bought my wife but have since usurped for my work commute (she's more than happy with satellite radio) and can't find it. "Must be under something. I'll find it later," I think to myself and forget about it. A couple days later, I'm washing my scrubs for work when the wife hears clunking in the dryer.
"Do you have something heavy in the dryer," she asks.
"No. Just my scrubs," I reply.
"I hear something heavy in there," she states.
I listen. No thumping.
"Maybe something got tangled up funny," I say. That happens from time-to-time.
A little while later, my wife hears the dryer finish and goes to empty it. Lo-and-behold THERE'S the Nano. A little bit cleaner, a little on the warm side, and a whole lot non-functioning. I can see quite a bit of condensation behind the screen and no manipulation of the wheel provokes a response. Plugging it into the USB connector gets no reaction either. I have just created a couple-hundred-dollar paperweight. Go me!
So yesterday I grab the Nano, wondering just what I'm going to do with it and what does it do? IT TURNS ON! Sure, it says the battery has no power, but it's working. After a quick charge, it's functioning as if were brand new. An iPod Nano went through an entire cycle in the washer AND dryer (with detergent and dryer sheet, respectively) and is, apparently, none the worse for wear.
Not that I'd recommend it for cleaning a dirty iPod, but I felt somebody should know.