http://gamingtrend.com
July 23, 2014, 06:46:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: iPhone vs. Blackberry?  (Read 1758 times)
Mr. Fed
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: June 05, 2008, 04:34:46 PM »

So I am terribly tempted by the charms of the iPhone.  I'll be waiting with interest to see what the new version is like next week.

But my main concern is reliable work-related email.  That's not negotiable.

Right now I have blackberry service that's quite reliable.  Sometimes it doesn't work in older, bigger buildings (all that steel and concrete), but otherwise it's great.  My office has a Microsoft Exchange server for our email.

I've heard that the iPhone uses a "pull" rather than "push" system.

Does anyone use the iPhone for work email?  any comments on reliability, particularly as compared to the Blackberry?

Popehat, a blog.  Now 35% less ugly!
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 04:39:24 PM »

I don't have an iPhone, but I have coworkers who do - as you might imagine, we use Exchange at work.

The current iPhone software supports IMAP which is a mail protocol that's pretty typically used by many mail servers, but doesn't do calendaring/contacts, just email.  Exchange has IMAP support, so that's what the peeps at work use.

Everyone expects the next version to support Exchange ActiveSync, which they've licensed, so I'd just wait a week and see.  I can't speak to coverage issues, but your email concerns should be completely assuaged if they do add ActiveSync support this time around.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 04:43:19 PM »

If sending work email is your primary function and you are currently using a Blackberry, an iPhone is NOT an option.  The touchscreen keyboard, while serviceable, is NOT a Blackberry replacement.  Writing emails will take 2-3x as long.

The iPhone does not yet support Microsoft Exchange email, though they claim they will 'soon'.  Assuming that works as advertised, the send/receive portion of email will function in almost the exact same way your Blackberry does now.  I'd wait and see on that though.  Also - I'm not sure if the new Exchange support will include OTA sync of Calendars and Contacts, so if not, expect to plug the bloody thing in a lot.

gellar
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 04:45:52 PM »

Quote from: gellar on June 05, 2008, 04:43:19 PM

The iPhone does not yet support Microsoft Exchange email, though they claim they will 'soon'.  Assuming that works as advertised, the send/receive portion of email will function in almost the exact same way your Blackberry does now.  I'd wait and see on that though.  Also - I'm not sure if the new Exchange support will include OTA sync of Calendars and Contacts, so if not, expect to plug the bloody thing in a lot.

There'd be no point in doing the ActiveSync support if they didn't add calendaring/contacts.  It's all part of the same protocol, designed, in part, by some insane genius in Redmond.  Someone ahead of his time...
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 05:06:17 PM »

Was it me?
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 05:11:42 PM »

Quote from: Brendan on June 05, 2008, 04:45:52 PM

There'd be no point in doing the ActiveSync support if they didn't add calendaring/contacts.  It's all part of the same protocol, designed, in part, by some insane genius in Redmond.  Someone ahead of his time...

You'd like to think so, but as much as I love Apple products, no way do I make any assumptions about what they're going to do - even if it does make total logical sense to do so.

gellar
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008, 05:17:51 PM »

Quote from: gellar on June 05, 2008, 05:11:42 PM

Quote from: Brendan on June 05, 2008, 04:45:52 PM

You'd like to think so, but as much as I love Apple products, no way do I make any assumptions about what they're going to do - even if it does make total logical sense to do so.

gellar

Apple makes some weird decisions with there products sometimes. Like no MMS messaging oringally and all that.

Anyway, I'd say hold out for the new iPhone and the new blackberry's

You have: http://www.blackberry.com/blackberrybold/

And also the Thunder which is supposedly a Blackberry touchscreen phone.

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
hentzau
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2008, 05:19:54 PM »

What about one of the HTC phones?  I went from an 8525 and just upgraded to a Tilt.  Awesome phone.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2008, 05:24:56 PM »

Quote from: hentzau on June 05, 2008, 05:19:54 PM

What about one of the HTC phones?  I went from an 8525 and just upgraded to a Tilt.  Awesome phone.

In the world of cell phone OSes (talking OS strictly, not functionality):

iPhone > Blackberry >>>>>>> Windows Mobile

This is coming from someone who owned a Windows Mobile phone for 2 years, a Blackberry for 1, and an iPhone for a bit less than 1.  MS really, really needs to revamp that OS (I've seen some pretty sweet looking shots of WinMo 7).  For biz purposes, the Blackberry stomps all over it and for internets/media purposes, the iPhone makes it look dumb.  What Windows Mobile does to make up for this is provide the most functions and apps compared to the other two.  It can do an awful lot of things - it just can't do any of them well.  Again though, I do have high hopes for 7 and will reconsider what phone I carry when that comes out.  I cannot recommend AGAINST 5/6 loudly enough.

gellar
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2008, 05:36:11 PM »

6.1 isn't that horrible actually the new sliding window interface on the standard is actually rather nice. But in general gellar is right. Windows mobile is functional and it works. But for the most part it is slow, it's basically Microsofts approach with desktops towards cell phones, which doesn't work as well. Blackberry's and the iPhone have the interface and the hardware built together and designed with functionality and so forth in mind so you get the best experience in general. Windows Mobile is designed to work on as many devices as possible and have certain functions which in the end works but it doesn't work as well as it could.

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2008, 05:38:19 PM »

Quote from: Mr. Fed on June 05, 2008, 04:34:46 PM

So I am terribly tempted by the charms of the iPhone.  I'll be waiting with interest to see what the new version is like next week.

But my main concern is reliable work-related email.  That's not negotiable.

Right now I have blackberry service that's quite reliable.  Sometimes it doesn't work in older, bigger buildings (all that steel and concrete), but otherwise it's great.  My office has a Microsoft Exchange server for our email.

I've heard that the iPhone uses a "pull" rather than "push" system.

Does anyone use the iPhone for work email?  any comments on reliability, particularly as compared to the Blackberry?

I'm interested on the answers to your question, Fed, as I too am feeliing strongly tempted by the charms of the Iphone. The new 3G version of the Iphone is expected to be announced at WWDC this June 9th, and it'll apparently go on sale the next day. I also read that AT&T will offer a $200.00 subsidized version of the new phone if you get it directly thru them.

My Sprint contract is up for renewal soon and I'm thinking of bailing to get an Iphone. I like the Iphone's considerable more robust mobile internet options. It's touchpad screen keyboard is also attractive to me--I dislike the Blackberry's tiny, crowded keyboard. Lastly, the Iphone's strong media player options make it the most favorable option for a filmmaker on the go wanting to show his work to people on the fly. I've seen many fellow filmmakers with Iphones recently.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2008, 05:38:43 PM »

I'm weighing this option as well.  Company said they'd get us all an iPhone "or equivalent".  This will be my first experience will cell phone e-mail, so I'm not really sure what I should be looking for.  While the iPhone is a cool gadget, I'm already on Verizon and nearly all my family is as well.  Makes it tough to switch when nearly all my mobile-to-mobile calls are currently free.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
hentzau
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2008, 05:54:30 PM »

Quote from: gellar on June 05, 2008, 05:24:56 PM

Quote from: hentzau on June 05, 2008, 05:19:54 PM

In the world of cell phone OSes (talking OS strictly, not functionality):

iPhone > Blackberry >>>>>>> Windows Mobile

This is coming from someone who owned a Windows Mobile phone for 2 years, a Blackberry for 1, and an iPhone for a bit less than 1.  MS really, really needs to revamp that OS (I've seen some pretty sweet looking shots of WinMo 7).  For biz purposes, the Blackberry stomps all over it and for internets/media purposes, the iPhone makes it look dumb.  What Windows Mobile does to make up for this is provide the most functions and apps compared to the other two.  It can do an awful lot of things - it just can't do any of them well.  Again though, I do have high hopes for 7 and will reconsider what phone I carry when that comes out.  I cannot recommend AGAINST 5/6 loudly enough.

gellar

I guess I'm just easier on what I expect from my phone.  It's fast enough, it's seamless with Exchange, I can browse the internet.  Take pictures if I want to, and it is highly customizable with 3rd party apps.  Oh, and it has really good reception and clear calls where I work/live/play.

I played with the iphone for a while, and I didn't like the non-tactile feedback from the touchscreen with texting/e-mailing/editing a word doc.  But thats just me, everyone else seems to love the iphone.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2008, 06:03:27 PM »

Yeah don't get me wrong, I loved my WinMo phone when I upgraded from my old Samsung PalmOS phone YEARS ago.  I thought it was the best thing since sliced bread.  This was also when they just released the Exchange ActiveSync stuff, so it was like magic to me.  I was such a WM fan that I poopooed the Blackberry every chance I got.

Then the next company I worked for liked BES more than ActiveSync.  Then... wow, my eyes were opened.  A few months later, my consumer whore nature made me buy the iPhone and the transformation was complete.

WM is good enough, and certainly plenty impressive to a virgin smartphone user.  The others are just much better.

gellar
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2008, 06:15:31 PM »

apparently bot Apple and AT&T are all out of stock on the current models of the iPhone.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2008, 07:09:29 PM »

FWIW WM 6 gets 100% better if using some add-in apps - this article has some info that has been great for me:

How To: Use your WM Smartphone One-Handed

Hentz - that site also has some good tips on customizing the Tilt if you dig through the archives.

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2008, 09:34:04 PM »

I don't know enough about all the business stuff, but this is what they announced for the 2.0 software update (supposedly coming out this month):

http://www.apple.com/iphone/enterprise/

Upcoming iPhone support for Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync and industry-standard corporate security standards will allow IT professionals to seamlessly integrate iPhone into their enterprise environments. New features include:

Push email
Push contacts
Push calendar
Global Address List
Certificates and identities
WPA2/802.1X
Enforced security policies
More VPN protocols
Device configuration
Remote wipe

- - -

Having owned an older Blackberry and now the iPhone, the only thing I wouldn't agree with gellar on necessarily is that emails take 2-3x longer to type.  Maybe 1.5x longer, but of course this is all very user dependent.  Ever since I started "trusting the keyboard" with the iPhone, I can type pretty damn fast (about as fast as I could with any touch keyboard with my fat thumbs) with the software correcting about 90% of my errors.  Of course, you can't do what I see some people do and type on the iPhone without looking at the keyboard smile
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2008, 09:39:11 PM »

rittchard, how's your reception with the Iphone? Do you get many dropped calls? How's your internet speed like (loading of pages)?
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2008, 10:05:16 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on June 05, 2008, 09:34:04 PM

Having owned an older Blackberry and now the iPhone, the only thing I wouldn't agree with gellar on necessarily is that emails take 2-3x longer to type.  Maybe 1.5x longer, but of course this is all very user dependent.  Ever since I started "trusting the keyboard" with the iPhone, I can type pretty damn fast (about as fast as I could with any touch keyboard with my fat thumbs) with the software correcting about 90% of my errors.  Of course, you can't do what I see some people do and type on the iPhone without looking at the keyboard smile

Two things that cause me to dislike the iPhone keyboard:  1)  I could HAUL ASS on the Blackberry keyboard.  It was nearly as fast as my normal typing.  2)  Most of my emails have odd acronyms that the iPhone doesn't understand.  Typing emails with ARP, SMTP, HTTP, WCCP, PIX, etc... on a regular basis doesn't go so good.

I will admit for personal emails, it works just fine.

gellar
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2008, 10:06:52 PM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on June 05, 2008, 09:39:11 PM

rittchard, how's your reception with the Iphone? Do you get many dropped calls? How's your internet speed like (loading of pages)?

I'm not rittchard, but I'll answer anyway:

Reception is OK.  It's typical AT&T reception, which is to say it's probably worse than everyone elses, but it's still serviceable.  Data/Web pages depends on my patience for that moment in time.  It's usually adequate, but sometimes will be so slow it makes you angry.  This should go away with the new 3G iPhone.

gellar
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2008, 12:33:45 AM »

Thanks for the response, gellar. It helps.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2008, 01:30:45 AM »

Had a BB until June of last year and now there are 2 iPhones in my house and I can't see myself ever going back. LOVE it!!

Depending on what we see next week - I might have an available iPhone or two if someone wants them.   icon_biggrin

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2008, 12:52:06 PM »

Quote from: gellar on June 05, 2008, 10:06:52 PM

Quote from: PR_GMR on June 05, 2008, 09:39:11 PM

Reception is OK.  It's typical AT&T reception, which is to say it's probably worse than everyone elses, but it's still serviceable. 

It's better than Sprints   (not that they set a high bar to beat)  icon_twisted
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2008, 02:55:26 PM »

I've had decent reception on my iPhone with AT&T here in Columbus.  Every now and then EDGE goes kinda wonky though, one time it was acting odd for a couple of days straight.  I may upgrade to the 3G version, but I want to hear what battery life is like.  There were some leaked pics of a supposed iPhone settings screen to enable 3G access, and underneath the On/Off toggle it warned 3G used more of the charge than EDGE would.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2008, 03:08:14 PM »

DarkEl and Ceekay, if AT&T's reception is better than Sprint's then that's great. I currently have Sprint and I would categorize their reception as decent. So far, I like what I'm hearing.
GuidoTKP
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2008, 06:43:50 PM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on June 06, 2008, 03:08:14 PM

DarkEl and Ceekay, if AT&T's reception is better than Sprint's then that's great. I currently have Sprint and I would categorize their reception as decent. So far, I like what I'm hearing.

Just remember, there are no universals about cell phone reception.  Poll your friends and neighbors about reception in your area.  AT&T's reception is awful in LA, but much better in SF.  T-Mo's reception is good in LA, awesome in NY, and shitty in Hawaii.  It really depends where you are.
Mr. Fed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2008, 06:55:21 PM »

Quote from: GuidoTKP on June 06, 2008, 06:43:50 PM

AT&T's reception is awful in LA,

Well that sucks.

Popehat, a blog.  Now 35% less ugly!
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2008, 07:11:27 PM »

Quote from: Mr. Fed on June 06, 2008, 06:55:21 PM

Well that sucks.

I'm not sure where you are in LA but I get great reception in most of the areas I've been around (mostly south bay and orange county).  Also in an odd turn of events I get good reception down in the basement of the building I work at (Verizon I had nothing).  The only time I have problems is when I'm right down at the beach, where I can still text but sometimes get dropouts.  But again, compared to my old Verizon phone where I got zero reception at the beach, it's still a major improvement.

For email, it's been kind of spotty.  For quick internet like the weather and stocks, about 90% effective.  For more intensive email, also more spotty (similar to email).
« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 07:13:09 PM by rittchard » Logged
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2008, 07:54:24 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on June 06, 2008, 07:11:27 PM

Well that sucks.

I'm not sure where you are in LA but I get great reception in most of the areas I've been around (mostly south bay and orange county).  Also in an odd turn of events I get good reception down in the basement of the building I work at (Verizon I had nothing).  The only time I have problems is when I'm right down at the beach, where I can still text but sometimes get dropouts.  But again, compared to my old Verizon phone where I got zero reception at the beach, it's still a major improvement.

For email, it's been kind of spotty.  For quick internet like the weather and stocks, about 90% effective.  For more intensive email, also more spotty (similar to email).

This sounds good to me. I don't think I would want reception while at the beach either, so zero reception there works fine for me.  icon_smile
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2008, 08:12:38 PM »

Just remember, there are no universals about cell phone reception.  Poll your friends and neighbors about reception in your area.  AT&T's reception is awful in LA, but much better in SF.  T-Mo's reception is good in LA, awesome in NY, and shitty in Hawaii.  It really depends where you are.

AT&T reception in the bay area is pretty shit, actually.  I have way more dead spots with AT&T than I did with Sprint or T-Mo.

gellar
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2008, 08:16:08 PM »

Quote from: gellar on June 06, 2008, 08:12:38 PM

AT&T reception in the bay area is pretty shit, actually.  I have way more dead spots with AT&T than I did with Sprint or T-Mo.

gellar

Are you talking about in the city or the whole bay area?  I never had any issues with my AT&T phone coverage, but I was down in the Fremont to Hayward part of the bay, and in the San Jose to Palo Alto corner.  This was 5 or so years ago before they changed to Cingular and back, so maybe things have changed.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2008, 08:17:41 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on June 06, 2008, 08:16:08 PM

Quote from: gellar on June 06, 2008, 08:12:38 PM

gellar

Are you talking about in the city or the whole bay area?  I never had any issues with my AT&T phone coverage, but I was down in the Fremont to Hayward part of the bay, and in the San Jose to Palo Alto corner.  This was 5 or so years ago before they changed to Cingular and back, so maybe things have changed.

LOL none of the above.  Basically San Mateo County has shit reception for AT&T.  Especially near SFO.

gellar
GuidoTKP
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2008, 12:28:00 AM »

Quote from: rittchard on June 06, 2008, 07:11:27 PM

Well that sucks.

I find AT&T's reception to be ass in Santa Monica, various spots downtown, various spots along the freakin' 405 (seriously, how do you have null zones on any of the major freeways?), and numerous spots in the east valley.  When I switched to T-Mo, my coverage dramatically improved, but my friends on Verizon typically have better coverage than I do in LA (although, I've heard people complain about Verizon's coverage).

In terms of Bay Area AT&T coverage, all I can say is that when I was on AT&T in LA, my coverage seemed to dramatically improve whenever I had to go to SF or Oakland.
DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2008, 05:05:43 AM »

Well that's true in regards to who has availability to good cell tower locations and enough spectrum in the heavily populated areas for actually being able to make the initial call -- however after having had the misfortune of doing some consulting work for Sprint (and having a number of friends who still work there) -- I still categorically recommend avoiding them for Cell phone service.  They drop more calls than any other provider, their billing system has been broken for ages and every attempt to replace it has failed spectacularly and their customer service policies are by far the unfriendliest in the market.

side note - while I was there - they actually implemented customer support policies that certain segments of their customer base would NEVER be allowed to speak to a customer service representative (just trapped forever in the IVR) AND they were trying to force all normal customers to self-handle in that same IVR and thus to encourage that - decided to make it extra difficult to speak to a real person --in fact to get to a real person you had to actually request an agent by pressing 0 or saying agent) at least twice -- 3 or 4 times in some support paths.

The problem with that company is in their management. They encourage and reward the worst behavior in Management which affects the outcome of the entire division.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: