http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 09:58:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: iPhone 3G launch today  (Read 5725 times)
gellar
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 20, 2008, 03:51:07 AM »

Quote from: CrayolaSmoker on July 20, 2008, 03:47:54 AM

Quote from: StriderGG on July 19, 2008, 08:48:21 PM

Can you save a .txt, .doc or .pdf file to your iphone in order to read it later on?

Not yet that I'm aware of. I'm very much looking forward to the capability, though.

You can email yourself a .doc or .pdf and open the attachment.  I'm not certain if you can do that with a .txt file.

gellar
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 21, 2008, 09:23:11 PM »

Quote from: StriderGG on July 19, 2008, 08:48:21 PM

Can you save a .txt, .doc or .pdf file to your iphone in order to read it later on?

I am thinking about getting it, but I am concerned about the battery life. I heard people have to charge it daily with pretty conservative usage, sometimes even running out of juice completely by the end of the day. Disabling 3G to save power sounds ridiculous, 3G is even in the name of the device, heh. It's like buying an mp3 player and not listening to any music to save power.

I don't know of any way to generate txt/doc files etc on the phone if that's what you are asking.  However depending on what you want to do there are plenty of ways to keep notes, drawings, etc. on the phone itself for later reading.  If you are asking about transferring a pre-existing pdf or txt from your computer to the iPhone, then the answer is yes, there is at least one App called FileMagnet that allows you to do this wirelessly (but apparently only wirelessly).  I tested it, sent a pdf of my powerpoint presentation to the phone for mobile access and it worked fine.

Battery life as I mentioned prior is one of those "eye of the beholder" type of things.  I am definitely charging the unit more often than the original, but I am also simply using it far more due to the amazing apps/games available.  Again, I don't think any review can really help - in the end it depends on your own personal usage habits.  If you are on the phone all day and that's all you do with it, the talk time stats are probably fairly accurate.  But if you are like me and using it for apps, wireless surfing, constantly checking the App store for new stuff, listening to music and watching TV shows, it's a much different story.  I will say that the iPod functions definitely seemed very good battery power wise.  3G, GPS and wireless are obviously bigger power suckers.  Should also note, though, there are a number of new third party portable solutions that serve as alternates to a battery replacement.  In fact you just reminded me I was going to buy one of them!
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 21, 2008, 09:30:19 PM »

Can you access any of the Google Documents tools via the iPhone?
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 21, 2008, 09:41:01 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on July 21, 2008, 09:30:19 PM

I'm not familiar with this tool but I'm checking now.  Google has a custom mobile interface for iPhone so when you go to the main page you get the main search portion and then options for Gmail, Calendar, Reader and More.  Inside More, I just logged into Google Docs which I think is what you are asking about.  I have options for All, Owned By Me and Starred, a search docs thing and a place to access folders.  I guess this is what you are asking about?
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 21, 2008, 10:37:08 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on July 21, 2008, 09:41:01 PM

Quote from: wonderpug on July 21, 2008, 09:30:19 PM

I'm not familiar with this tool but I'm checking now.  Google has a custom mobile interface for iPhone so when you go to the main page you get the main search portion and then options for Gmail, Calendar, Reader and More.  Inside More, I just logged into Google Docs which I think is what you are asking about.  I have options for All, Owned By Me and Starred, a search docs thing and a place to access folders.  I guess this is what you are asking about?

Yeah.  It's got a web-based word processor and spreadsheet, so if it worked with the iPhone you'd have the ability to read and write pretty much any Office document.
Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 23, 2008, 04:37:35 AM »

Got mine today. Called the Apple Store nearby and they had just gotten a bunch in. Hopped on over, waited ten minutes, and now have a black 16GB model.

Some impressions...

The Apps for this are awesome, and I think we're just scratching the surface as far as potential. So far I've liked:
Box Office: Movie reviews, locations, and times. Very slick. (free)
Sports Tap: Detailed sports scores. Very good, interface is lacking a bit though. (free)
Aurora Feint: Others have mentioned this as well. Excellent puzzle game with RPG elements built in. (free)
Shazam: Hold up your iPhone to "listen" to a song playing somewhere. Shazam then identifies the artist and the song. Very cool, and seems to work well. (free)
Pandora: Awesome to have a mobile version of this, but I wish you could play it while doing other things on the phone. (free)

I love the interface. It's remarkable how intuitive it is. I've been able to figure out almost everything I've wanted to do very easily.

The battery life does seem short (about 4 hours of heavy use), and I think this is a significant factor because of the potential to use this device in so many ways other than a phone. I can easily see myself burning the battery down before the day is over. I've started to tweak some of the settings to see if I can extend the life a bit. Countering this a bit is the speed at which the battery charges. I started charging it in when it was a quarter full, went for a 30-minute jog, and it was about 3/4 full when I came back. Nice, and this offsets the short battery life to a degree.

Sound quality on the phone is awesome.

Internet speed seems good.

I'm starting to get faster with my thumbs, but I still miss keys a lot.

I'm surprised how hot the phone gets when in heavy use.

And as an aside, has anyone tried the "party" options in the Aurora Feint game? It looks like it has some sort of multiplayer element. Haven't figured that part out yet.

Maps feature seems good, but it totally misplaced a Starbucks near our home. About a mile and a half off, on a totally different street.  retard

So far, so good.

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 23, 2008, 07:55:23 PM »

Quote from: Godzilla Blitz on July 23, 2008, 04:37:35 AM

The battery life does seem short (about 4 hours of heavy use), and I think this is a significant factor because of the potential to use this device in so many ways other than a phone. I can easily see myself burning the battery down before the day is over. I've started to tweak some of the settings to see if I can extend the life a bit. Countering this a bit is the speed at which the battery charges. I started charging it in when it was a quarter full, went for a 30-minute jog, and it was about 3/4 full when I came back. Nice, and this offsets the short battery life to a degree.

I'm starting to get faster with my thumbs, but I still miss keys a lot.

And as an aside, has anyone tried the "party" options in the Aurora Feint game? It looks like it has some sort of multiplayer element. Haven't figured that part out yet.

I read AF got taken off the Apps store due to the MP social element, not sure about the details.  I never tried it out, I guess it asks for your email and phone?

On typing, the biggest thing to remember is "trust the keyboard".  The more you hesitate over "mistakes" the less effective it is.  The correction is spot on for me about 90-95% of the time.  I typed up a quick blog post to try out the Wordpress App and the keyboard correction was really really effective.  There were a few words I could see the letters going up were all wrong and yet it still got the word correct in the end.

Battery life is definitely a concern depending on your usage, but again it's slightly unfair.  I think due to the coolness of the Apps, people are running the unit essentially as a portable computer (or gaming machine in some cases) more so than a phone or iPod device.  If you ran it strictly as an iPod, the battery life is amazing.  Strictly as a 3G phone, I believe talk time is comparable to many/most 3G phones.  Also consider there are a number of "on the go" solutions to charging/extending.  I have one called iGo I think which uses AA batteries, and there are chargeable solutions from Kensington and Richardsolo.com which may be worth looking at.
Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 23, 2008, 09:23:39 PM »

Yes, Aurora Feint asks for your email and phone number for the "community" option. I didn't try the multiplayer options, but it's an interesting development if the program got taken down.

Thanks for the tip on the keyboard use. I've been correcting mistakes as I go. I'll try letting the software correct errors more.

Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 23, 2008, 11:13:20 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on July 21, 2008, 09:23:11 PM

Battery life as I mentioned prior is one of those "eye of the beholder" type of things.  I am definitely charging the unit more often than the original, but I am also simply using it far more due to the amazing apps/games available.  Again, I don't think any review can really help - in the end it depends on your own personal usage habits.  If you are on the phone all day and that's all you do with it, the talk time stats are probably fairly accurate.  But if you are like me and using it for apps, wireless surfing, constantly checking the App store for new stuff, listening to music and watching TV shows, it's a much different story.  I will say that the iPod functions definitely seemed very good battery power wise.  3G, GPS and wireless are obviously bigger power suckers.  Should also note, though, there are a number of new third party portable solutions that serve as alternates to a battery replacement.  In fact you just reminded me I was going to buy one of them!

Here's an interesting article on Battery Life from Extreme Tech (with help from Mossberg):

The Dracula Phone

When the first iPhone was released, one of the biggest complaints was that it didn't have the ability to connect to 3G networks. Apple pointed out that 3G uses up more power and the company wanted to wait for more power-efficient chips. Well the wait is over—the iPhone 3G is here.

Unfortunately it appears that 3G is still not efficient enough when it comes to power.

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
lildrgn

It's not the years, it's the mileage.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: September 19, 2008, 09:20:45 PM »

ARISE!

I am interested. I have resisted. But the all-in-one capabilities of the iPhone are slowly seducing me. I am interested in a GPS. That happens to play mp3s. And also make phone calls. Oh, and by the way, allows me to keep track of my appointments, contacts and emails.

I wanted a Palm Centro, because I have a Palm Zire 71 and am familiar with the O/S. Trouble is, the battery is dead in it after 4 years and all my data keeps disappearing if I don't keep it docked. So, it's kind of pointless to have.

I did buy a battery yesterday, but my friend showed me his new 3G and I was smitten.

Trouble is, I have until April on my contract with TMobile. Now, my wife's is up at the end of this month, I think. I suppose I could cancel her phone then, give her mine, and get me a new iPhone? Is that how it works??

Or, I suppose I could just use my good ol' Motorola RIZR until April. icon_confused

SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: September 19, 2008, 09:32:43 PM »

I'm not sure what you mean, if you're both on T-Mobile. Then when her contract is up you would go an ATT store or online or something and make a new contract with ATT. 2 years with an iPhone and then do a request to change the number over from T-Mobile. Would be her number or you would pay the early termination at t-mobile. Your account with T-mobile is canceled automatically. I would hold off though and check out the T-mobile G1 or Dream or whatever it is that uses Android and see how good it is. Might be cheaper and just as useful.

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 19, 2008, 09:38:03 PM »

YMMV, but as a CC manager w/AT&T (now former), on rare occasions I would approve the transfer of contract time from one line to the other.

Result would be to place remaining contract on your line onto your wife's number, allowing you to cancel/port your line to another carrier.  The front line reps at any carrier will most likely not be able to pull the trigger on this w/o manager approval, assuming there's a manager as cool as me nearby.    icon_cool

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

Quote from: McBa1n
http://www.vuvuzela.fm BVVVVVVVVVVVRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Zero

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 19, 2008, 10:00:09 PM »

Well...with a jailbroken/unlocked iphone - you can use T-Mobile, even use the unlimited TZone plan (at $6/month) for EDGE speed internet smile
lildrgn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: September 19, 2008, 10:21:45 PM »

Quote from: Zero on September 19, 2008, 10:00:09 PM

Well...with a jailbroken/unlocked iphone - you can use T-Mobile, even use the unlimited TZone plan (at $6/month) for EDGE speed internet smile

Is that slower than 3G? and how much more is an unlocked phone? iz a n0ub.

SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 19, 2008, 10:45:57 PM »

Quote from: lildrgn on September 19, 2008, 10:21:45 PM

You can't buy an unlocked iPhone. You have to get a regular one and crack it yourself for it to run on T-mobile. EDGE is a little better than dialup. 3G is broadband to your phone. T-Mobile is coming out from the stone ages and releasing 3G finally though. So there data plans might change soon.

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
Zero

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 19, 2008, 11:46:04 PM »

Quote from: SkyLander on September 19, 2008, 10:45:57 PM

Quote from: lildrgn on September 19, 2008, 10:21:45 PM

You can't buy an unlocked iPhone. You have to get a regular one and crack it yourself for it to run on T-mobile. EDGE is a little better than dialup. 3G is broadband to your phone. T-Mobile is coming out from the stone ages and releasing 3G finally though. So there data plans might change soon.

Skylander is right, you can't buy an unlocked iPhone from ATT or Apple...but you can get them from ebay, craigslist, etc.  Buy it locked or unlocked - as cheap as you can get it, as you can always jailbreak/unlock it afterwards.  I found that the 4GB model is more than sufficient for me - I've installed a ton of Apps and still have room.  I don't have music or videos on there, so for music I use programs like pandora, aol radio, etc.  I have a friend using it on T-Mobile's TZone Pro ($5.99/month) and he is using it for full internet/email everything...working great.  I think the 4GB model can run somewhere between $175 to $250, and the 8GB model around $200 to $350.   The guy I know just bought his iPhone two weeks ago from someone in Mercer Island for $250 - it was the 8GB model.  We then went and jailbreak/unlock it in a couple of hours.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 20, 2008, 12:36:13 AM »

If anyone's interested, I could be talked into selling my old 8GB Gen1 iPhone.  I don't have much use for it anymore, I've just not spent the time to actually sell it.

gellar
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 20, 2008, 06:07:51 PM »

3G iPhones for cracking are likely to be rarer than 1st gen, the reason being that the 3G iPhones must be activated in the stores, which means that someone somewhere took the hit on the contract or $175 term fee.  When you compare that to the $300 discount, that certainly can have an impact.

lildrgn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: September 20, 2008, 09:36:29 PM »

question:

If I get my wife an iPhone on 10/1 after her TMobile plan expires, will she be able to have her number ported over to ATT?

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 20, 2008, 09:43:39 PM »

You should be able to.  That's what I did when I switched from Sprint to ATT a year ago.

gellar
Zero

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 21, 2008, 01:03:26 AM »

Yup, shouldn't be a problem - mine was ported from ATT to TMo to Sprint and back to TMo.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 21, 2008, 03:25:05 AM »

The gub'ment got involved. for wireless to wireless ports, it's usually done in hours.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: