http://gamingtrend.com
October 24, 2014, 08:29:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: iPhone 3G launch today  (Read 5724 times)
DarkEL
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2008, 04:33:33 AM »

Went out to dinner with a friend who bought a new 3G iPhone yesterday.

Interestingly we put our phones together and did a little impromptu speed test of loading several different websites that neither of us had in our cache.

In our little test it seemed that the original iPhone was resolving the domain and making the initial connection faster, but that once both were downloading the 3G phone was noticeably faster. So total time to actually view a page was a lot closer that we would have expected. Not a scientific test - but the results were interesting nonetheless.
Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2008, 07:27:22 AM »

Didn't buy the new phone, but I did install the new 2.0 software and, of course, my .Mac account transitioned to the new push-everything MobileMe.

iPhone OS X 2.0 is bloody brilliant. It addresses a lot of my minor grievances with OS 1.1.4, including bulk-delete, color-coded calendars and other little rough edges. I had no problem installing the software, unlike some users. Could be that I cheated, cut in line and installed it manually a day early. :-)

App Store is slick. Easy to use on both the phone and through iTunes, I've downloaded 10 programs -- the best being NetNewsWire, OmniFocus, Twiterrific and BoxOffice -- and I've been very impressed by the quality of the software. Since this is a pile of 1.0 software running on, effectively, a 1.0 API, things shouldn't be working this well!

MobileMe is finally up and running. Man, Apple fucked up this roll out. .Mac went down on July 9, but MobileMe wasn't predictably useable and stable until the morning of July 12. I never lost IMAP access to my email, which is of course the most critical component, but it was disheartening to try to log into the new MobileMe web apps and be denied over and over again. Now that everything's working, it's all as good as I would have liked. The Web apps feel like desktop software. Perhaps not as flexible as Gmail or Outlook Web Access, but certainly nicer-looking and more usable. Push email, calendars and contacts are now operational, giving me constant, over-the-air syncing on my phone, my Macs and my MobileMe account. Very slick and useful. Now I just hope Apple will roll out a MobileMe update that will let me directly-integrate non-.me email addresses into the service. I'd switch my campaign over to a MobileMe infrastructure immediately if it'd give me the same kind of push email for work that I'm getting for my home email now.

It sounds like this year's iPhone roll out was as problematic as last year's wasn't. I wonder how much is because of problems within Apple, and how much is because of AT&T's new requirements (credit checks, in-store activations, etc). In either case, it's too bad for those who got stuck. It'll all work out shortly, I'm sure. And once running, the 2.0 OS, apps and, for subscribers, MobileMe services should make for a great experience.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2008, 04:18:42 PM »

Quote from: DarkEL on July 13, 2008, 04:33:33 AM

Went out to dinner with a friend who bought a new 3G iPhone yesterday.

Interestingly we put our phones together and did a little impromptu speed test of loading several different websites that neither of us had in our cache.

In our little test it seemed that the original iPhone was resolving the domain and making the initial connection faster, but that once both were downloading the 3G phone was noticeably faster. So total time to actually view a page was a lot closer that we would have expected. Not a scientific test - but the results were interesting nonetheless.

you guys should compare Battery life next, with you using Edge and him using 3G.  it'll be interesting to see how much battery juice the 3G really uses.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2008, 11:05:20 PM »

I'm digging Monkey Ball quite a bit actually.  Played for about a solid hour today.  It's really hard because it's tough to know when you're zeroed out, but I really enjoy it.

Only thing I can't figure out - can anyone else figure out how to unlock the additional levels?
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2008, 10:54:13 PM »

Random comments:

Friday, I finally made it through the line after EIGHT hours  icon_eek  It was one of those things where you were already so deep into it, you couldn't just leave midway through.  I won't bore with the gory details, but it wasn't as great an experience as last year.  It didn't help that a co-worker told me he picked one up Friday night after waiting only 2 hours lol.  Of course I knew in my head this would be the case, I was just a bit worried Apple would do something weird with stock and it would be selling out everywhere.  I did hear most AT&T stores sold out and a local one only had 90 the first day...

Crappy release timing by Apple with the software update needed to do authentication or whatever.  So I guess the servers died or were slammed too hard or whatever.  MMORPGers like myself shouldn't have been too surprised, it seems like no one is ever able to estimate the popularity of their own products.

3G speed.  I tested a "real world" situation with 3G on.  My 3yo nephew loves to see WALL-E and other assorted photos so I usually use IMDB to bring them up.  Last week I had a few excruciating waits to bring up the pictures he likes.  I tested the exact same links in 3G and it was incredibly faster.  Not just twice the speed, it was a huge difference. 

GPS.  Very understated in the design.  You don't have some button "GPS" to turn on or whatever and I rarely see much about specs.  I did test it briefly on a drive out and it seemed remarkably accurate, within a car length or 2 I could see the blip on google maps shift as I approached the corner of a street.  I was very impressed and hopeful the news is true about the turn by turn software that is supposedly being readied.

Sound quality.  I haven't noticed the drastic improvement I read about in reviews, but I haven't made many phone calls yet or listened to music much.  The built in speakers definitely seemed better on the one song I tested.  My orig phone would have trouble when I maxxed the volume out but this one doesn't seem to have the same issue.  Still not loud enough though, IMHO.

Battery life.  My new theory is they really did not replace/change the battery at all.  I'm guessing their new chip is just more efficient in Edge mode and thus they can claim some better life standards for 2G use.  I ended up having to charge the phone again after about 4ish hours of use.  But this was a lot of turn on and off, playing with programs, wireless surfing and apps store downloading.  Ultimately my opinion is you just have to use the device and not worry about it from a spec point of view.  I know that sounds lame, but I obsessed over the battery on my original iPhone for months.  Eventually I just reached a normal usage pattern that had me charging approx. once a week with occasional charging during syncing.  I suspect with 3G and all the awesome new apps this is going to change dramatically, probably 2 or 3 times what I used to.  This is not a criticism of the battery, but a reality check given the new usability of the device.  Which leads me to...

App Store apps.  OMG.  Over 500 already it's just insane.  I spent most of my time with the phone in the Apps store, and already spent way too much money.  So many games to try out!  And tons of utilities, fun time wasters, etc.  There are some crappy ones for sure, but a lot of really really cool stuff.  It's really taken the iPhone to the next level, very hard to describe right now.  You think about how good the software already is on day one of release and just imagine what levels programmers will be able to take it to down the line.  They're going to need a new name for the device because "iPhone" is almost misleading at this point.  iMobileMac?  I dunno, but I continue to be impressed with what people have come up with.  Some big ones I'm anticipating: Slingbox, GPS navigation and video recording, all of which are in the works.  Would love to see some form of RPG or roguelike but I haven't seen much on that yet, though Bioware and others have expressed interest.  You figure with a built in userbase close to 10 million (counting iPod Touch, I'm just guessing the numbers) and growing, software developers would be crazy to ignore it as a major platform.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2008, 02:51:05 AM »

My wife pulled the trigger on one today after mysteriously "spilling coffee" on her old (very basic) phone. This will be the first time in our history of knowing each other that she has ever owned a better piece of technology than me, and it really grinds my gears!  icon_biggrin

Our local AT&T sold out Saturday, so she placed an order and in theory it should be available in 1-2 weeks.

We played extensively with the 3G in the store. I was familiar with the original iPhone since my brother-in-law has one, and let me borrow it on occasion just to play around with. The app store was AWESOME, and I can see myself spending a lot of time and money in there once I can wrest it out of my wife's undeserving hands. I only got to play with the GPS briefly, and have read that it's a tad slow to update, but I think it would still be ultra-handy.

I came away so impressed that I'm seriously considering picking one up myself, even though my job already supplies me with a company phone. I know it seems crazy to shell out that much money for a phone when I get one for free, but as rittchard pointed out, this thing has ceased to be just a phone. It's coming extremely close to the ultimate all-in-one device I have been dreaming about for years.

Not helping matters is this little story:

The other day I was on a business trip, and got stuck in Atlanta for 11 hours. I finally made it to my destination, completely exhausted, and realized I did not know which Holiday Inn my company had put me up in, out of several in the area. A nice young lady noticed my frustration, and asked me what was wrong. I told her the situation, and she whipped out her iPhone, punched up Google maps, and figured out which hotel was closest to the airport. She then looked up the number and I was able to call and verify that it was the correct one as well as get a shuttle sent out to pick me up. It was like something out of a freaking Apple commercial. And it was AWESOME!   icon_biggrin

Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2008, 03:42:28 AM »

Grrrr. Minnesota is totally cleaned out of iPhones. At least according to the Apple availability checker online.

I wonder how accurate that is. I might try calling a couple of the stores tomorrow.

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2008, 05:51:58 AM »

Oh yeah, highly recommended FREE game, Aurora Feint.  As someone posted elsewhere I almost feel guilty playing such a polished game for free.

It's kind of like Puzzle Quest mixing bejeweled-esque puzzlery with RPG elements.  The coolest thing is they make great use of the accelerometer so you can, and have to, do stuff by rotating the unit to get pieces where you want them.  I haven't figured out the nuances of the game but it's certainly addictive and man it looks really deep for a free game:

http://toucharcade.com/2008/07/12/first-look-at-aurora-feint-the-beginning/#comment-585
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 15, 2008, 03:54:31 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on July 15, 2008, 02:51:05 AM

My wife pulled the trigger on one today after mysteriously "spilling coffee" on her old (very basic) phone. This will be the first time in our history of knowing each other that she has ever owned a better piece of technology than me, and it really grinds my gears!  icon_biggrin

Our local AT&T sold out Saturday, so she placed an order and in theory it should be available in 1-2 weeks.

We played extensively with the 3G in the store. I was familiar with the original iPhone since my brother-in-law has one, and let me borrow it on occasion just to play around with. The app store was AWESOME, and I can see myself spending a lot of time and money in there once I can wrest it out of my wife's undeserving hands. I only got to play with the GPS briefly, and have read that it's a tad slow to update, but I think it would still be ultra-handy.

I came away so impressed that I'm seriously considering picking one up myself, even though my job already supplies me with a company phone. I know it seems crazy to shell out that much money for a phone when I get one for free, but as rittchard pointed out, this thing has ceased to be just a phone. It's coming extremely close to the ultimate all-in-one device I have been dreaming about for years.

Not helping matters is this little story:

The other day I was on a business trip, and got stuck in Atlanta for 11 hours. I finally made it to my destination, completely exhausted, and realized I did not know which Holiday Inn my company had put me up in, out of several in the area. A nice young lady noticed my frustration, and asked me what was wrong. I told her the situation, and she whipped out her iPhone, punched up Google maps, and figured out which hotel was closest to the airport. She then looked up the number and I was able to call and verify that it was the correct one as well as get a shuttle sent out to pick me up. It was like something out of a freaking Apple commercial. And it was AWESOME!   icon_biggrin

Ohhh, yes, thanks to Yellowqueen we shall finally spread the dominion of Apple onto Yellowking. Our grand plan is coming together!

Quote from: rittchard on July 15, 2008, 05:51:58 AM

Oh yeah, highly recommended FREE game, Aurora Feint.  As someone posted elsewhere I almost feel guilty playing such a polished game for free.

It's kind of like Puzzle Quest mixing bejeweled-esque puzzlery with RPG elements.  The coolest thing is they make great use of the accelerometer so you can, and have to, do stuff by rotating the unit to get pieces where you want them.  I haven't figured out the nuances of the game but it's certainly addictive and man it looks really deep for a free game:

http://toucharcade.com/2008/07/12/first-look-at-aurora-feint-the-beginning/#comment-585

Thanks! I'll check that one out later today. So far, I'm loving the Jott app. It's free and it's basically a voice-operated Note/To Do list app. You record a short note and the app sends it out to Jott, gets it transcribed and it's added to a To Do list. A pretty cool way to jot down last minute tasks and info you may need.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 15, 2008, 04:03:05 PM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on July 15, 2008, 03:54:31 PM

Quote from: rittchard on July 15, 2008, 05:51:58 AM

Thanks! I'll check that one out later today. So far, I'm loving the Jott app. It's free and it's basically a voice-operated Note/To Do list app. You record a short note and the app sends it out to Jott, gets it transcribed and it's added to a To Do list. A pretty cool way to jot down last minute tasks and info you may need.

careful-  it's addictive.  I grabbed it last night and ended up staying up a bit too late playing it.  also, I didn't realize turning the screen would do anything- definitely makes it more interesting!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 05:04:01 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: July 15, 2008, 04:16:34 PM »

When you get the monthly bill for hers, think about what it would be if you had two.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 15, 2008, 04:17:50 PM »

Quote from: coopasonic on July 15, 2008, 04:16:34 PM

When you get the monthly bill for hers, think about what it would be if you had two.

Family plan?

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 15, 2008, 05:41:21 PM »

Quote from: SkyLander on July 15, 2008, 04:17:50 PM

Quote from: coopasonic on July 15, 2008, 04:16:34 PM

Family plan?

Exactly! And I believe that the minutes don't count if you're chatting Iphone to Iphone. Free minutes.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 15, 2008, 06:30:39 PM »

Yeah, it wouldn't be prohibitively expensive to add another, because we're both going with the bare minimum plans. We just don't talk on our cell phones all that much, and when we do it's to each other. I still haven't made up my mind though. I think I'm going to wait until my wife gets hers and the novelty wears off before I decide whether I want to pull the trigger. I'm completely cognizant of the fact that much of my desire at the moment is (friendly) jealousy.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: July 15, 2008, 09:23:43 PM »

If I'm reading ther att site correctly, $70/mo for 450 min on 1 phone, $130/mo for 700 on 2 phones, neither including taxes, fees, etc. Well true, it's not double, but it's awfully close.

Now you've got me thinking about this.. Hey, all the iPhone awesomeness for only another $30/mo... ugh.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 16, 2008, 02:35:56 PM »

And I'm now iphoned. It is a very fun device and all the apps and things that incorporate all of it's features are great. 3G with the battery life didn't seem as long as I thought it would though guess I'll have to turn things off to conserve da power. The touchpad keyboard will definately take some getting used to but I think once I get the hang of it it will work fine. Anyway that is my lightning review of it. Oh and get a case the new ones are fucking shiney and they slide around really easily.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 16, 2008, 03:02:32 PM »

Quote from: coopasonic on July 15, 2008, 09:23:43 PM

If I'm reading ther att site correctly, $70/mo for 450 min on 1 phone, $130/mo for 700 on 2 phones, neither including taxes, fees, etc. Well true, it's not double, but it's awfully close.

Does that include a data plan, or is that just for the minutes?  I'm strongly considering switching to an iPhone, but if I have to add another $30 (plus fees, faxes, etc), I'm looking at half again what I currently pay for Verizon. 

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 16, 2008, 03:17:45 PM »

Does that include a data plan, or is that just for the minutes?  I'm strongly considering switching to an iPhone, but if I have to add another $30 (plus fees, faxes, etc), I'm looking at half again what I currently pay for Verizon.

All the iPhone plans include unlimited data. So the $70 is for everything.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 16, 2008, 03:20:10 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on July 16, 2008, 03:17:45 PM

Thanks, that might make the decision much easier.  smile

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: July 16, 2008, 06:01:31 PM »

i am getting more tempted, but i need to run this by the finance committee first.  hmmm, perhaps i should have an accident with my current phone......

of course, part of the upgrade allure is that i could give her my phone, which is much better than hers is. 

Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 16, 2008, 06:04:01 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on July 16, 2008, 03:17:45 PM

I've been reading that with the new plans you've now got to pay $5/month for 200 text messages. You can workaround it by using AIM's instant messaging, but supposedly it's not as convenient. So in effect the price has gone up by $15/month.

McNutt

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 16, 2008, 06:12:32 PM »

I'm going to get one, I just don't know when.  I'm moving to Texas Saturday and will have to give up my work phone, so I'll need to buy an iPhone before then.  The local store has the 16GB, but not the 8GB.  I seriously doubt I'll need that extra 8GB, but damn if it isn't tempting.
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 16, 2008, 06:44:33 PM »

My Iphone has become a hit at my workplace. We just had a group lunch party to say goodbye to one of our co-workers and when I took out the Iphone many people wanted to check it out. The slick YouTube functionality seems to have starstruck a couple of them. Three of them say they will get one right away.

I had a rare power blackout at my place last night, but the trusty Iphone kept me connected to the net even though nothing else was running. The Iphone display is so bright I could find my way around my pitch black apartment just by bringing up the Home screen. A neato flashlight! who knew?!
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 16, 2008, 07:16:25 PM »

Well you can always get the flashlight app. And people have used cell phone screens has emergency flashlights for a long time yo.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: July 16, 2008, 09:47:04 PM »

Quote from: SkyLander on July 16, 2008, 07:16:25 PM

Well you can always get the flashlight app. And people have used cell phone screens has emergency flashlights for a long time yo.

Or do I like have on my cell - I have a flash for my phone's camera. I have an app that turns it on and leaves it that way.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: July 17, 2008, 09:25:26 PM »

Wait a month until Apple drops the price $100  icon_biggrin

CEO of the GT Post Padders Club
Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 17, 2008, 11:19:55 PM »

I keep thinking about switching to AT&T for one of these but then I read/get told that the phone can't voicedial.  No voicedial in a cell phone?

If the road home crosses any landscape features that include words like "forgotten," "void," "razorthorn," "shadowmist," or "doom," then I vote that we take a nap first.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 18, 2008, 12:43:08 AM »

Quote from: PaulBot on July 17, 2008, 09:25:26 PM

Wait a month until Apple drops the price $100  icon_biggrin

1 million sold in 3 days-  doubt they'll be dropping the price anytime soon.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 18, 2008, 12:44:29 AM »

Quote from: Arnir on July 17, 2008, 11:19:55 PM

I keep thinking about switching to AT&T for one of these but then I read/get told that the phone can't voicedial.  No voicedial in a cell phone?

I've never been able to get voice dial to work right for me anyways, so no big loss  icon_wink

Because I can,
Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 18, 2008, 01:45:21 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 18, 2008, 12:44:29 AM

I've never been able to get voice dial to work right for me anyways, so no big loss  icon_wink

Well, for me, I drive a lot and the thought of having to use the contacts to dial or something is just silly and dangerous when phones I have gotten for free let me voice dial without any problems.  (Well, 90% of the time anyway.  Tongue)

If the road home crosses any landscape features that include words like "forgotten," "void," "razorthorn," "shadowmist," or "doom," then I vote that we take a nap first.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 18, 2008, 05:04:37 AM »

Quote from: Arnir on July 18, 2008, 01:45:21 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on July 18, 2008, 12:44:29 AM

Well, for me, I drive a lot and the thought of having to use the contacts to dial or something is just silly and dangerous when phones I have gotten for free let me voice dial without any problems.  (Well, 90% of the time anyway.  Tongue)

only pussies keep their eye on the road  Tongue

Because I can,
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 18, 2008, 05:05:18 PM »

Mine is delivered at my house just waiting for me to get home from the east coast.  I am so excited that I can use this thing for work with the Exchange Active Sync support.  Yay for me!

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 18, 2008, 07:10:19 PM »

Called the Apple Store near me and was told they have the iPhone in stock. Drove down, but by the time I got there all the black 16G's were sold out.

Maybe next week.

SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 18, 2008, 07:41:37 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on July 18, 2008, 05:05:18 PM

Mine is delivered at my house just waiting for me to get home from the east coast.  I am so excited that I can use this thing for work with the Exchange Active Sync support.  Yay for me!

Didn't know you could ship it to your house? From what I understand only way to technically ship it is to get it shipped to an ATT store.

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 18, 2008, 09:50:39 PM »

The iPhone 3G saved my life!!!!   icon_lol   I got lost on my way to the airport on a recent business trip.  I didn't notice the 275 freeway in Ohio was a circle and took the wrong path.  Finally realized something was wrong and had to pull out the iPhone to find my position using the GPS to get myself back on track.  Made it to the gate at the airport about 5 minutes before they started boarding, whew!

Fiddled a bit with the Sketches app today.  Sure it's not necessarily that "useful" but what a wonderful interface for drawing and just being creative.  I love how you can readily drop pre-drawn shapes of different size.  Another cool one of interest is Aqua Forest.  It's kind of hard to describe, but also does a great job of using the touch interface and accelerometer.  Basically you drop water/ice onto the screen and then draw barriers and other stuff (heat) that reacts to the water.  You can tilt the phone and everything reacts to the tilt, a lot of interesting physics supposedly invovled.  Sorry for the bad description, you kind of have to see it to appreciate it.

Another cool free one I like to show is Pangea VR - you access panaromic images online and then kind of move around through them in a 3D-ish environment.  Very cool.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 19, 2008, 03:54:54 AM »

Inability to voice dial is the thing that kills me the most.

You can do it if you have integrated bluetooth in your car, but Apple shouldn't expect me to pay $30,000 for an accessory that allows me to use a headset to dial the phone when most free phones can do it!

Hopefully someone does it with an app soon.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
StriderGG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 19, 2008, 08:48:21 PM »

Can you save a .txt, .doc or .pdf file to your iphone in order to read it later on?

I am thinking about getting it, but I am concerned about the battery life. I heard people have to charge it daily with pretty conservative usage, sometimes even running out of juice completely by the end of the day. Disabling 3G to save power sounds ridiculous, 3G is even in the name of the device, heh. It's like buying an mp3 player and not listening to any music to save power.
Biyobi

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 20, 2008, 12:12:30 AM »

Quote from: Devil on July 19, 2008, 03:54:54 AM

Inability to voice dial is the thing that kills me the most.

You can do it if you have integrated bluetooth in your car, but Apple shouldn't expect me to pay $30,000 for an accessory that allows me to use a headset to dial the phone when most free phones can do it!

Hopefully someone does it with an app soon.
It's a very odd thing to not include since Apple is based in a state that just started mandatory hands-free.  I guess they figure if you are hands-free you aren't looking at their OMGTEHPRETTY interface.  There is an app in the iTunes store that will look up contacts based on voice (you still have to hit the dial button).  Mixed reviews on how well it works.  Search for "voice dial" in the store.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 20, 2008, 02:44:34 AM »

Quote from: SkyLander on July 18, 2008, 07:41:37 PM

Quote from: The Grue on July 18, 2008, 05:05:18 PM

Didn't know you could ship it to your house? From what I understand only way to technically ship it is to get it shipped to an ATT store.

Well, first it was shipped to my employer's office, who then shipped it to me.  We have an AT&T corporate account.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: July 20, 2008, 03:47:54 AM »

Quote from: StriderGG on July 19, 2008, 08:48:21 PM

Can you save a .txt, .doc or .pdf file to your iphone in order to read it later on?

Not yet that I'm aware of. I'm very much looking forward to the capability, though.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: