http://gamingtrend.com
December 22, 2014, 12:47:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: iPhone 3G announced - only $199 for 8GB  (Read 8183 times)
Pyperkub
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2008, 07:40:49 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on June 10, 2008, 12:37:03 AM

Are you guys upgrading for your music library storage?

Speaking of which, it doesn't appear as if they added storage support such as SD cards (or mini/micro SD, etc).  Can anyone confirm?

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2008, 07:48:49 PM »

Quote from: Pyperkub on June 10, 2008, 07:40:49 PM

Quote from: Ridah on June 10, 2008, 12:37:03 AM

Are you guys upgrading for your music library storage?

Speaking of which, it doesn't appear as if they added storage support such as SD cards (or mini/micro SD, etc).  Can anyone confirm?

No SD slot so no, you're stuck with the normal 8-16gb included in the phone.

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2008, 08:15:42 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 10, 2008, 12:53:08 AM

wait, they're going to have rate plans for basic phone cheaper than 60 bucks now for the iPhone?

The cheapest iphone rate right now is $40/month + $20 for unlimited data and 200 text messages, hasn't changed since release.  I don't remember how many minutes I get for that.
madpeon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2008, 10:28:38 PM »

Should be 450 minutes with the cheapest plan.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: June 11, 2008, 12:03:55 AM »

Does anyone know how good the GPS system and software is on the new iPhone?  Does it just give you coordinate or allow you to look up where you are on google maps?

If so, there's likely still a market for standalone GPS units for some time to come.
Biyobi

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 11, 2008, 12:10:35 AM »

As far as I know the GPS is integrated into Google maps.  Even their current half-assed locator based on the nearest cell phone tower tied into Google maps to let you know where you are.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 11, 2008, 01:24:08 AM »

man i really want the iphone, but the cost of having the internet is too much, $30 for unlimited data usage. That's horrendous. Then if you want text messaging then add $15, or for $50/month you could have both unlimited. There's no way my wife is going to agree to this.
Magic
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 11, 2008, 01:29:33 AM »

tomtom just announced their GPS software for the iphone through the app store.

After buying one about eight weeks ago (yeah, i know. However, being mid-contract and facing a $549 bill to replace my smashed Tilt, it was going to save me a few bucks) and having the most of the internet in my pocket at all times, I've been kicking myself since passing it up at launch. I was able to add the unlimited data plan to my original early 2000's contract rate for $20. Worth every penny.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 11, 2008, 12:26:29 PM »

Quote from: naednek on June 11, 2008, 01:24:08 AM

man i really want the iphone, but the cost of having the internet is too much, $30 for unlimited data usage. That's horrendous. Then if you want text messaging then add $15, or for $50/month you could have both unlimited. There's no way my wife is going to agree to this.

I got the approval, however I haven't told her about how much the data plan was smile
Austin

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 11, 2008, 12:36:29 PM »

AT&T = no reception at my house or I'd be tempted.  But I think I require a tactile keyboard also.  Typing on my Touch suxxorz.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 11, 2008, 01:01:19 PM »

One thing Apple must love about their fans is how they happily throw out hundreds of dollars every year just to upgrade to the latest and greatest Apple product.  If I bought a $400 phone less than a year ago I sure as hell wouldn't be buying another one again so soon!  Anyways that will be my only comment about Apple-I won't let the door hit my ass on the way out. smile
raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 11, 2008, 02:46:40 PM »

As a stockholder, I say, let Apple keep doing the voodoo that they do best. Whatever it is, jedi mind trick, Chewbacca defense, shaman spirits, or dark mojo that keeps fans buying the new version year after year, let 'em keep doing it. I'm right there with Jobs, laughing all the way to the bank slywink.

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
"Oh yeah?" Bush replied. "50% of the people were wrong."
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 11, 2008, 02:56:02 PM »

To speak to what Canuck said:

I think this is an unusual case for Apple in that they've made improvements and cut the price in half.

Usually, you see improvements made to Apple products and the price stays the same or increases a bit.

I paid $400 last year for an iPhone and think I got my moneys worth.

For $200 I can now upgrade and get something better and that's why I'm considering it.

If the new one was $400 - No chance I would upgrade.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 11, 2008, 03:55:00 PM »

Quote from: Devil on June 11, 2008, 02:56:02 PM

I think this is an unusual case for Apple in that they've made improvements and cut the price in half.

Usually, you see improvements made to Apple products and the price stays the same or increases a bit.

For $200 I can now upgrade and get something better and that's why I'm considering it.

that's pretty much my thoughts too.  plus, if I'm going to be paying more for the data plan I might as well get the full use out of it.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 11, 2008, 03:58:36 PM »

I don't think you have to pay more than we already do for the data plan if you keep your 2G.

That's another factor in favor of not upgrading.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 11, 2008, 04:04:45 PM »

Unless I'm missing something you also lose the text messaging part of last year's iPhone rate package.  Plus it sounds like you'll have to pay the stupid $36 activation fee.  How hard is it to get that waived these days?
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 11, 2008, 09:02:03 PM »

These are finally at a price that it would be worth it to me to fund my own phone for work to replace the smart phone I was given.  My big question....can I get my Outlook Calendar and Mail synched across the phone network (not in some cradle)?

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 11, 2008, 09:04:41 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on June 11, 2008, 09:02:03 PM

These are finally at a price that it would be worth it to me to fund my own phone for work to replace the smart phone I was given.  My big question....can I get my Outlook Calendar and Mail synched across the phone network (not in some cradle)?

For $100/year, yes, yes you can: http://www.apple.com/mobileme/

I'm frankly more excited about that than I am the phone, I think.  I've missed Blackberry/Exchange since I went back to the tiny startup thing.

gellar
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 11, 2008, 09:06:54 PM »

Quote from: Devil on June 11, 2008, 02:56:02 PM

This is new for Apple, apparently they changed their model to a more conventional cel phone model.  I heard (not confirmed) the price drop is simply (or not so simply) similar to the subsidy type pricing all "normal" phones get, i.e. AT&T is sucking up the $200 cost.  Which of course is why they are jacking up the data package price.

Of course you could argue last year when we bought our iPhones, we still had to sign the 2 year AT&T contract so it really isn't different from the consumer standpoint - either way we are saving $200 on the base price (but still paying more over the lifetime of the contract).  It all evens out, and still nothing comes for free  icon_smile
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 11, 2008, 09:08:42 PM »

Quote from: gellar on June 11, 2008, 09:04:41 PM

I'm frankly more excited about that than I am the phone, I think.  I've missed Blackberry/Exchange since I went back to the tiny startup thing.

My impression, and perhaps this is wrong, is that this only comes into play if you aren't using Exchange.  It certainly shouldn't require a middleware server in order to sync against my Exchange server.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 11, 2008, 09:10:53 PM »

A lot of details here:

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2008/06/09/iphone-3g-the-details-you-never-wanted-to-know/

Also of note I read the $30/month is AT&T's standard pricing for 3G network already, not a jacked up price just for iPhone.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 11, 2008, 09:41:05 PM »

Quote from: Brendan on June 11, 2008, 09:08:42 PM

Quote from: gellar on June 11, 2008, 09:04:41 PM

My impression, and perhaps this is wrong, is that this only comes into play if you aren't using Exchange.  It certainly shouldn't require a middleware server in order to sync against my Exchange server.

That's my impression as well.  My current VP hates all things Exchange, so we don't have it slywink

gellar
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 11, 2008, 09:47:40 PM »

Quote from: gellar on June 11, 2008, 09:41:05 PM

That's my impression as well.  My current VP hates all things Exchange, so we don't have it slywink

Dude - unacceptable!  Haven't you explained how awesome FrontBridge is?
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: June 11, 2008, 10:12:24 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 10, 2008, 12:53:08 AM

Quote from: rittchard on June 10, 2008, 12:31:33 AM

As much of an Apple fanboy as I am, I have to warn folks about the "lower" pricing:

At&T is jacking up the data plan by $10/month, so in effect it's $240 more over the course of your 2-year contract.  Nothin comes for free!

So keep in mind the cheapest plan will now be $40 basic phone +$30 data = $70/month

wait, they're going to have rate plans for basic phone cheaper than 60 bucks now for the iPhone?

oh, and apparently 3G coverage is kinda limited right now.  Make sure to check the Show 3G Coverage checkbox.

thanks for that.  one less barrier to getting one.  the whole damn region i live/work is 3g. 

what happens to your data transfer when there is no 3g?  do you get anything at all or is it SOL?

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 12, 2008, 12:49:09 AM »

Quote from: Caine on June 11, 2008, 10:12:24 PM

what happens to your data transfer when there is no 3g?  do you get anything at all or is it SOL?

I believe it can also still connect to EDGE if 3G isn't available.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 12, 2008, 03:54:21 AM »

Quote from: Brendan on June 11, 2008, 09:47:40 PM

Quote from: gellar on June 11, 2008, 09:41:05 PM

Dude - unacceptable!  Haven't you explained how awesome FrontBridge is?

LOL.  I asked the quasi IT guy why we don't have Exchange and he said 'long story, X hates it, don't bother trying.'

gellar
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 25, 2008, 03:07:14 PM »

This is beginning to look less and less enticing.  Apparently if you are already an AT&T customer, but are not an iphone customer, there are qualifications.  I've searched the internets but can't find any more information about this.  Anyone know anything?

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 25, 2008, 03:12:39 PM »

we're trying to keep the club exclusive  Tongue

(it was gellars idea!  honest!)

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 25, 2008, 03:25:41 PM »

If I end up being unworthy of purchasing an iPhone and giving an extra $360 a year in fees it may be enough to get me to switch to another phone company.  I just can't stand it when companies treat new customers or irate existing customers better than the loyal long-time customers.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: June 25, 2008, 03:29:19 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on June 25, 2008, 03:25:41 PM

I just can't stand it when companies treat new customers or irate existing customers better than the loyal long-time customers.

If you were loyal you would have already bought an iPhone!

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 25, 2008, 03:41:40 PM »

Quote from: coopasonic on June 25, 2008, 03:29:19 PM

Quote from: wonderpug on June 25, 2008, 03:25:41 PM

I just can't stand it when companies treat new customers or irate existing customers better than the loyal long-time customers.

If you were loyal you would have already bought an iPhone!

I've been loyal to AT&T->Cingular->AT&T, not to Apple. slywink  I think the only Apple product I've ever owned is a Shuffle I got for Christmas a few years ago.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 25, 2008, 09:14:39 PM »

Some answers to common launch questions, most of which are worthless.  Looks like no real useful launch info until after 7/6.  I'm unsure about waiting in line this time around, the forced in-store activation sounds like it will be a killer.  There was one rumor current iPhone owners would have their own separate line - not because we are special (which we are  icon_lol) but because the upgrade process should be faster - just remove SIM card and insert into new one.  Also another rumor there would be some process online to get AT&T paperwork/approval done in advance (I think they are doing this in Europe).

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/06/25/apple_memo_coaches_employees_on_iphone_3g_launch_questions.html
PointerOO
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 28, 2008, 09:53:55 AM »

I think I am more excited about the 3G iPhone than I was about the first gen iPhone and I was queuing up to buy the first one! GPS is going to be amazing and I really hope Tom Tom release maps and voice for it ASAP. 3G connection is also going to be very cool. EDGE is okay but coverage is sporadic and I find I don't have it when I most need it and so end up using GPRS which is so slow it is painful.

For me the thing that is really going to make July 11th special is the app store and the 2.0 firmware. Some of the games and apps look awesome and will take the iPhone from being a great phone and communication device to an amazing mobile computer. I am also going to be able to give my old iPhone to my wife so that she can have email on the go and internet too. Less than 2 weeks to go!
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: June 28, 2008, 02:44:29 PM »

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on June 25, 2008, 03:07:14 PM

This is beginning to look less and less enticing.  Apparently if you are already an AT&T customer, but are not an iphone customer, there are qualifications.  I've searched the internets but can't find any more information about this.  Anyone know anything?

Yeah, wtf is that about?  I'm a current AT&T customer and plan to go to the iPhone in august, but this is going to severely piss me off if they try to rape me on the phone cost, enough to tell them to fuck off altogether.  Now, I know they have that upgrade setup normally, where every year or so you can upgrade your phone if you extend your contract, which I have been eligible for for a few months now but haven't used.  Hopefully, that is what they are referring to....

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 28, 2008, 03:41:10 PM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on June 28, 2008, 02:44:29 PM

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on June 25, 2008, 03:07:14 PM

Yeah, wtf is that about?  I'm a current AT&T customer and plan to go to the iPhone in august, but this is going to severely piss me off if they try to rape me on the phone cost, enough to tell them to fuck off altogether.  Now, I know they have that upgrade setup normally, where every year or so you can upgrade your phone if you extend your contract, which I have been eligible for for a few months now but haven't used.  Hopefully, that is what they are referring to....

That appears to be exactly what they are referring to.  Typical internet much ado about nothing, I think.

gellar
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 30, 2008, 03:14:01 AM »

Whoa! Whoa! Whoa!

Fool - I paid $600 for essentially the same phone 1 year ago and YOU'RE upset about getting raped on the phone cost!!!!

icon_biggrin

th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: June 30, 2008, 04:02:53 AM »

Quote from: Devil on June 30, 2008, 03:14:01 AM

Whoa! Whoa! Whoa!

Fool - I paid $600 for essentially the same phone 1 year ago and YOU'RE upset about getting raped on the phone cost!!!!

icon_biggrin

Well, yeah.  That was one of the reasons I DIDN'T pull the trigger last year. slywink  I just don't like the not getting it for $200 thing...

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 30, 2008, 12:00:00 PM »

Quote from: Devil on June 30, 2008, 03:14:01 AM

Whoa! Whoa! Whoa!

icon_biggrin

First off, yes, I couldn't care less what you paid.  It doesn't affect my wallet in the slightest.  Early adopters always pay more.

Second, they've raised the price of the data plan by $10/month on a two year commitment.  So you have to add an additional $240 on to the cost of the new iPhones.

Finally, and most important, I just want it for the price everyone else is paying, and the price they announced.  I will buy it at the subsidized price.  I will not buy it for ~$175 higher.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 12:01:41 PM by IkeVandergraaf » Logged

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 30, 2008, 12:57:31 PM »

First off, yes, I couldn't care less what you paid.  It doesn't affect my wallet in the slightest.  Early adopters always pay more.

Just like I care about what YOU are willing to pay?

You should care, dammit!!!! You should care about everything I do and say!!!

Tongue

IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 01, 2008, 06:32:00 PM »

Ok, AT&T just announced some new information

It appears I am eligible atm.

Gamertag = IkeV
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: