http://gamingtrend.com
October 30, 2014, 02:26:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: iPad Mini Incoming! Place your bets!!!  (Read 2646 times)
ericb
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2012, 01:33:54 PM »

I have two iPads (1G, wifi only) that I bought when they first came out and both are still in almost daily use.  While expensive I can say behind the computer and TV they are the most used electronic devices I've ever purchased.  I haven't seen any reason to upgrade though I expect to when the iPad 4 comes out.  I was really looking forward to these mini's though especially when the rumor was a $250 price point but at $329 and scaled down I just can't see it.  I was hoping to have a valid alternative to the iPad touch my wife wants for Christmas but this isn't it.
Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2012, 05:45:46 PM »

The only thing holding me back from jumping on a mini is the display. This is an iPad 2 minus  a couple of inches so the price isn't a problem for me. I am amazed that it weighs 7 oz and that is a huge draw. The screen resolution is the real turn off.

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2012, 07:18:33 PM »

Quote from: Crusis on October 25, 2012, 05:45:46 PM

The only thing holding me back from jumping on a mini is the display. This is an iPad 2 minus  a couple of inches so the price isn't a problem for me. I am amazed that it weighs 7 oz and that is a huge draw. The screen resolution is the real turn off.
Is the resolution on the Mini worse than the iPad 2? 
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2012, 07:24:35 PM »

Quote from: Roguetad on October 25, 2012, 07:18:33 PM

Same resolution with a higher ppi
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2012, 07:31:16 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on October 25, 2012, 07:24:35 PM

Thanks.  I'm used to my wife's iPad2, which I think looks good.
Crusis

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2012, 12:50:53 AM »

Quote from: Roguetad on October 25, 2012, 07:31:16 PM

After having Retina I just can't imagine. Of course I say that now. As soon as I see one in the store I may throw my wallet at the cashier.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 26, 2012, 01:04:42 AM »

Quote from: Crusis on October 26, 2012, 12:50:53 AM

Quote from: Roguetad on October 25, 2012, 07:31:16 PM

After having Retina I just can't imagine. Of course I say that now. As soon as I see one in the store I may throw my wallet at the cashier.

Yes after having a retina display iPad, I can't look at my wife's iPad 2 without thinking how bad it is in comparison.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: October 29, 2012, 12:10:25 AM »

I thought it was funny to see this image greeting me on Amazon.com today:

Sandwiches do fix everything.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2012, 12:14:45 AM »

It's Gizmodo.  They're still butt sore that they've been blacklisted from Apple events after the stolen iP4 thing.
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2012, 03:15:06 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on October 29, 2012, 12:14:45 AM

It's Gizmodo.  They're still butt sore that they've been blacklisted from Apple events after the stolen iP4 thing.

That doesn't make it any less true though...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
walTer

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 29, 2012, 04:55:29 PM »

40% bigger, no gimped UI, 5000% more native apps, not stretched phone apps, more real apps, longer battery life, weighs much less.  I have a Fire, the original and while the HD is definitely better, it is no iPad.

Just sayin' Apple could do the same thing.

Kindle does win hands down on the speakers though.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 06, 2012, 06:01:27 PM »

I was going to post my impressions of the iPad Mini, but this post from Toucharcade pretty much covers it:

http://toucharcade.com/2012/11/05/a-weekend-with-the-new-ipad-mini-i-love-this-little-thing/

Yes, it feels a little slow in terms of browsing and loading, etc - particularly compared with the 4th gen.  And yes, I can see the difference in the resolution, particularly in text when browsing. 

But other than that, it's just fantastic.  This is the size/weight/form factor I wanted from the getgo, with access to almost all of the apps I want.  It holds perfectly in one hand, the weight makes it nearly effortless.  The form factor is sweet, it actually hid perfectly under one of those voting booklets you get in the mail.  This is something I honestly feel like you can just carry with you anywhere and everywhere, yet it's still big enough to give you a much better experience than the iPhone/iTouch.  Once they get the A6 and retina in here, it could actually take over the regular iPad. 
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 06, 2012, 06:29:59 PM »

I'm shocked about how light/thin it is.  Great size imo.  Will likely get one when they update the internals and give a higher resolution display.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 07, 2012, 09:40:30 PM »

I love my iPad (3rd gen), but now that Apple is basically in a "tablet war" with umpteen other companies, some of whom are driving tablet prices down to "commodity levels," and it's inevitable Apple's tablet (and smartphone) market share will decline, maybe the best thing would be for them is to actually brainstorm a new product category that leaves everyone else going "What the hell is THAT thing?" and scrambling to chase them again.

If they can come up with something else relatively new again that leaves people here grumbling, "Why would I want a touchscreen phone? That's stupid!" or "What the hell's the point of a tablet without a keyboard? Tablets are dumb." etc., but that ultimately catches on and 50 other companies try to emulate, then they might have something.

I'm really not certain Apple as currently constituted is capable of that. They seem to be stuck on an "iteration after iteration after iteration" upgrading treadmill where they might add or subtract inches to their iPads and iPhones, they might eventually make them as thin as a pane of glass, but I just don't see much to indicate they have another New Idea beyond that where they could sort of enjoy their own market category for a while while everyone else catches up.

And I'm opining on that as a huge iOS fan, not a Hater.  icon_smile
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 09:42:25 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 08, 2012, 01:41:32 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on November 07, 2012, 09:40:30 PM

I love my iPad (3rd gen), but now that Apple is basically in a "tablet war" with umpteen other companies, some of whom are driving tablet prices down to "commodity levels," and it's inevitable Apple's tablet (and smartphone) market share will decline, maybe the best thing would be for them is to actually brainstorm a new product category that leaves everyone else going "What the hell is THAT thing?" and scrambling to chase them again.

If they can come up with something else relatively new again that leaves people here grumbling, "Why would I want a touchscreen phone? That's stupid!" or "What the hell's the point of a tablet without a keyboard? Tablets are dumb." etc., but that ultimately catches on and 50 other companies try to emulate, then they might have something.

I'm really not certain Apple as currently constituted is capable of that. They seem to be stuck on an "iteration after iteration after iteration" upgrading treadmill where they might add or subtract inches to their iPads and iPhones, they might eventually make them as thin as a pane of glass, but I just don't see much to indicate they have another New Idea beyond that where they could sort of enjoy their own market category for a while while everyone else catches up.

And I'm opining on that as a huge iOS fan, not a Hater.  icon_smile

The long-standing rumor is that they've been working on television with some kind of Siri-type interface.  http://www.forbes.com/sites/briancaulfield/2011/10/21/steve-jobs-on-tv-i-finally-cracked-it/
Crusis

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: November 20, 2012, 01:51:19 AM »

I got an iPad Mini this weekend. I wasn't really considering one because I have an ipad 3 and I was worried about the screen resolution.

Then I saw one.

It really is hard to put down. The form factor and build quality is amazing and it weighs 7 ounces. Color me impressed. About the screen resolution. Quite frankly I got over it in about a minute. A retina display would be gorgeous but it would also make it heavier or thicker.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: