http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 05:54:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: iPad and productivity  (Read 904 times)
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 17, 2010, 08:04:15 PM »

Do any of you who own the iPad actually do work on it? I'm considering replacing my netbook with one of these for basic word processing and such, mostly I use my netbook to take notes in class and write reports. Will I have any issues accomplishing this? I would of course buy the keyboard attachment with it.

Are there compatibility issues that go with the OS regarding MS Office documents? I need watch power presentations and the like.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
KC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 09:35:34 PM »

I don't use my Ipad for work.  IMHO, Outlook, Word, Excel and Powerpoint are much better when used with a physical keyboard.  I sue my Ipad for internet browsing, games and Netflix streaming.  I think that it is a great secondary/entertainment computer, but not a very good work computer.

ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 09:36:41 PM »

Apple's iWork suite (Pages, Numbers and Keynote) works with Microsoft formats. There's also Documents2Go.

The iPad works great for note-taking and writing, as long as you do the formatting at a real computer.
GuidoTKP
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 12:14:53 AM »

Quote from: KC on October 17, 2010, 09:35:34 PM

I don't use my Ipad for work.  IMHO, Outlook, Word, Excel and Powerpoint are much better when used with a physical keyboard.  I sue my Ipad for internet browsing, games and Netflix streaming.  I think that it is a great secondary/entertainment computer, but not a very good work computer.

+1
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2010, 12:45:37 AM »

He said he will get a physical keyboard for the iPad, which kind of invalidates the above post.

Just saying.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2010, 05:23:39 AM »

I would think it would be fine with a real keyboard. My only concern is that it isn't always the fastest device in the world. I would be curious if it could keep up if you are a very fast typeset. It usually doesn't have issues keeping up with the touch pad though.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2010, 05:25:37 AM »

Since I lost 3 years worth of paper notes when my laptop bag was stolen, I use my iPad as my primary notetaking device at the office.  I'm using Evernote as software and the touchscreen keyboard and it works really damn well.  I purchased the keyboard as well, but find that I just don't use it very much.  The touchscreen works good enough.
GuidoTKP
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2010, 07:41:35 AM »

Quote from: ravenvii on October 20, 2010, 12:45:37 AM

He said he will get a physical keyboard for the iPad, which kind of invalidates the above post.

Just saying.

I have an iPad and the physical keyboard and would never, and I mean EVER, choose to run around taking notes with my iPad instead of my Macbook or any other reasonably light laptop. I love my iPad, but if you told me I had to choose between having only it and a laptop, I would pick the laptop, and it wouldn't be a remotely difficult choice.

Just saying.
GuidoTKP
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2010, 07:43:06 AM »

Quote from: Lee on October 20, 2010, 05:23:39 AM

I would think it would be fine with a real keyboard. My only concern is that it isn't always the fastest device in the world. I would be curious if it could keep up if you are a very fast typeset. It usually doesn't have issues keeping up with the touch pad though.

I've never noticed any lag when typing with the physical keyboard.
Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2010, 03:38:09 PM »

I was on a plane back from a horror convention last month. The gauntlet had been thrown at dinner the night before. Write a zombie story that involved a time traveling chair. (See what horror writers talk about while boozing it up?) Anyway, my laptop was just about dead so I powered through a 1,100 word story on my iPad using the screen keyboard. It was painful! It seemed like every third letter was mistyped.

Playing games, reading email, and surfing the web. That is what the ipad was designed for.

I have not tried the keyboard that attaches to the ipad. It's clever but pricey.

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2010, 01:11:34 AM »

Quote from: GuidoTKP on October 20, 2010, 07:41:35 AM

Just saying.

I have an iPad and the physical keyboard and would never, and I mean EVER, choose to run around taking notes with my iPad instead of my Macbook or any other reasonably light laptop. I love my iPad, but if you told me I had to choose between having only it and a laptop, I would pick the laptop, and it wouldn't be a remotely difficult choice.

Just saying.

I find it distracting and rude for someone to take notes in most meeting situations on laptops with clicking keys (even if they are soft clicks). The ipad is a lot less offensive in this regard. But what do I know, I also find it distracting and rude for people to eat food during a non-lunch meeting as well, but a lot of folks don't seem to care about that either.
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2010, 02:28:43 AM »

Quote from: Toe on October 22, 2010, 01:11:34 AM

I find it distracting and rude for someone to take notes in most meeting situations on laptops with clicking keys (even if they are soft clicks). The ipad is a lot less offensive in this regard. But what do I know, I also find it distracting and rude for people to eat food during a non-lunch meeting as well, but a lot of folks don't seem to care about that either.

Haha, both of those are pretty much SOP at Microsoft smile  I try to avoid eating in meetings but I take my laptop everywhere, and there's wireless in every building, too.  A few people here have Macbooks (running Win7 of course), but I think I'd probably avoid bringing an ipad into a meeting smile
Wargus

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2010, 04:01:46 AM »

Quote from: Toe on October 22, 2010, 01:11:34 AM

Quote from: GuidoTKP on October 20, 2010, 07:41:35 AM

Just saying.

Just saying.

Pen to paper, its a lost art form.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2011, 06:05:10 PM »

At the risk of awaking a "zombie" thread, I can attest to seeing a few (maybe 2-3) iPads in use at a conference I covered in Seoul, Korea on June 14-15 at a Hilton hotel there.

The guy in front of me was mostly using it for e-mail, and sometimes he'd do a quick search to look up info in relation to something a conference presenter was talking about. I think he was also using it to check-in for his depature flight on the 2nd day of the conference, although I don't think he had a way to print it there.

I did have to laugh when he tried to type something lengthy at one point. He seemed to keep banging at the onscreen keyboard in frustration (he threw up his hands at one point), and eventually he just gave up and pulled out his Blackberry phone and typed on that instead. smile fwiw, I did see the tablet's screen closely and am pretty certain it was an iPad, not a BB Playbook tablet.

For all the talk of how "plugged in" Korea is today, I couldn't find ANYwhere that had free Wi-Fi. I didn't get to go into the various Starbucks there to see if it was different. You could access Wi-Fi in various parts of the hotel, but it always brought up a screen asking you to pay a certain amount of Korean Won for 12-hours or 24-hours of access. Alternatively, in the hotel's business center, you could pay 5,000 Won for 10-minutes Internet use or 10,000 Won for a half hour. And they charged 200 Won per page printed.

I did read in the english-language version of a Korean newspaper there was a big project to add free Wi-Fi access in many parts of Seoul over the next several months. So perhaps by this time next year, it might be different.

My generous 1st Korean uncle spotted me quite a bit of Korean cash specifically for business center use, so I didn't have to worry about it per se. I could see going for the 12- or 24-hour access if I needed to do a lot of web surfing (and I think an iPad would've been great for that) but I just wanted to check my e-mail once or twice a day.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 06:07:31 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2011, 12:37:47 AM »

I found it invaluable on my recent business trip to San Francisco. When I arrived there I realized my laptop battery was dead. As in DEAD. Would not hold a charge for longer than 5 minutes. I had no place to get a battery for it, and I was facing four days of lectures I absolutely had to take notes on. One of the other requirements of my job was that I be able to remote back to the office when necessary and also be able to check and respond to emails throughout the day.

Luckily I had brought my iPad along for entertainment (books, movies on the plane, etc.). I quickly put it to use as a productivity tool. Downloaded Evernote and Pages and used that the entire time to take notes. Not only did the long battery life allow me to make it the whole day without stopping to recharge every 3 hours like my co-worker, it was quiet and not distracting to others in the room. I used Citrix Receiver to remote back to the office when necessary, and had my email was already being forwarded to it, so I was always in touch on the same device. I even typed up a game review on the plane ride back.

I really don't find it that difficult to type on. Like anything else it just takes practice. It was a bit awkward the first day, but by the end of 8 lectures I was typing nearly as fast as a regular keyboard. One of the mistakes I see a lot of iPhone/iPad typists making is typing very cautiously to avoid making mistakes. The things work better if you just don't think about it and type naturally. It's fairly good at recognizing what you want to say, as long as you are keeping a reasonable pace and not slowly hunting and pecking.

I came back from my trip with a whole new respect for the iPad as a business device. I'm not saying it could do everything my laptop could do. Some of my remote work would have been much easier with a fully functional keyboard/mouse, and there were a couple of occasions when I longed for a network jack just so I could get wired and not have to depend on spotty wi-fi or 3G reception. However, I did stop thinking about it as just an entertainment device.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: