http://gamingtrend.com
December 18, 2014, 10:37:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: iPad 3/HD  (Read 8734 times)
ydejin
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: March 20, 2012, 05:20:42 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on March 20, 2012, 02:19:09 PM

Quote from: Morgul on March 20, 2012, 01:33:17 PM

Are any of you seeing it overheat after extended use?

None here, but sounds like its a gaming or LTE thing and I don't game much or have LTE.

Same for me. I haven't noticed any heat at all, but I'm not using my LTE and I haven't done any gaming which uses 3-D graphics.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 20, 2012, 05:51:52 PM »

Quote from: ydejin on March 20, 2012, 05:20:42 PM

Quote from: leo8877 on March 20, 2012, 02:19:09 PM

None here, but sounds like its a gaming or LTE thing and I don't game much or have LTE.

Same for me. I haven't noticed any heat at all, but I'm not using my LTE and I haven't done any gaming which uses 3-D graphics.

On the heat thing:

http://daringfireball.net/linked/2012/03/20/comparing-temperatures
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 20, 2012, 05:52:54 PM »

I spent about 90 minutes gaming last night (Majesty & Chaos Rings II), and the back of it got pretty warm.  Nothing crazy, but you could tell the thing was working hard.

ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 20, 2012, 06:23:24 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on March 20, 2012, 03:10:16 PM

Quote from: Roman on March 20, 2012, 02:20:39 PM

while I am sure that the additional pixel count will look better than my 1st gen. I do however want to point out that I do not get even remotely close enough to my ipad when reading, looking at pictures etc to notice the current pixel config at all.
I mean - look at the picture above - how close do you actually need to be?

You don't even need to hold it up close.  I was messing around with my new iPad and glanced over at the original iPad's screen and the original just looked blurry in comparison.  I get the same effect when I play on my PS3 or XBox 360 and then go to the Wii.

It is rather shocking. I was really happy with the screen on my original iPad, but going back to it after working with the new iPad it sure is blurry.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: March 20, 2012, 06:32:13 PM »

Guy at work just won one of those in a company contest.  The screen is indeed really pretty.  If I could pick any tablet without worrying about cost, yeah, it'd probably be one of these.

Of course, cost is a thing, and at $500+, I still can't justify it, especially since you know in advance that it's only going to have a shelf life of around 1.5 years.  Really pretty screen though.

rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: March 20, 2012, 06:36:41 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on March 20, 2012, 06:32:13 PM

Guy at work just won one of those in a company contest.  The screen is indeed really pretty.  If I could pick any tablet without worrying about cost, yeah, it'd probably be one of these.

Of course, cost is a thing, and at $500+, I still can't justify it, especially since you know in advance that it's only going to have a shelf life of around 1.5 years.  Really pretty screen though.

Should have a shelf life of at least 2 years, at which point you can jailbreak it and sell it on eBay for at least the original price. There are people on eBay that don't know any better and will pay up the nose for a jailbroken Apple product.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 20, 2012, 10:36:56 PM »

Funnily I took my iPad 2 and new iPad to show my parents yesterday, and they both insisted they liked the iPad 2 screen better.  After many looks my mom finally agreed that the resolution on the new one was better but she still preferred the other one.  Normally I would think they were just being cheap/frugal, but this time I could tell they just liked it because it looked "brighter" or something.  It might be because of the different screen protector I have on the new one, I'm not sure.  In all honesty there are certain instances where I do agree the screen seems to look almost grainy.  I'll check it out more once my backup screen protector arrives.  I kind of screwed up the first one anyway.  Anyone have any particular recommendations on protectors?  Or just to not use them at all?
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: March 20, 2012, 10:53:21 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on March 20, 2012, 10:36:56 PM

Funnily I took my iPad 2 and new iPad to show my parents yesterday, and they both insisted they liked the iPad 2 screen better.  After many looks my mom finally agreed that the resolution on the new one was better but she still preferred the other one.  Normally I would think they were just being cheap/frugal, but this time I could tell they just liked it because it looked "brighter" or something.  It might be because of the different screen protector I have on the new one, I'm not sure.  In all honesty there are certain instances where I do agree the screen seems to look almost grainy.  I'll check it out more once my backup screen protector arrives.  I kind of screwed up the first one anyway.  Anyone have any particular recommendations on protectors?  Or just to not use them at all?

I've never used one on the iPad.  I do always make sure to put the iPad in its slipcase if I'm stuffing it in my backpack or otherwise carrying it out of my apartment or my office.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 20, 2012, 11:23:55 PM »

Not sure why you would put a screen protector over gorilla glass, Ritt.

Quote from: rittchard on March 20, 2012, 10:36:56 PM

Ruining language with my terrible words.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: March 20, 2012, 11:29:20 PM »

I use the smart cover only.  With my first gen one I didn't use anything.
Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #170 on: March 21, 2012, 03:51:18 AM »

Count me among the "never had a protective film" on any of my 3 iPads. I have also never had a scratch. The back of my iPad 2 got a small scuff but that's it. I had that thing for almost a year and used it every day. Kept it in my bag, backpack, took it to conventions, my 5 and 8 year old niece and nephew handled it. I did keep a smart cover on the iPad 2 (and now 3).

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: March 21, 2012, 10:02:11 AM »

while I am sure that the additional pixel count will look better than my 1st gen. I do however want to point out that I do not get even remotely close enough to my ipad when reading, looking at pictures etc to notice the current pixel config at all.

My wife said the same thing when first looking at HD televisions.  She was wrong smile

morlac00 on PSN
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #172 on: March 21, 2012, 03:17:07 PM »

Quote from: morlac on March 21, 2012, 10:02:11 AM

My wife said the same thing when first looking at HD televisions.  She was wrong smile

Free anti-aliasing throws laypeople off. Tongue

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: March 21, 2012, 06:21:16 PM »

I kind of just got used to using a screen protector, originally out of paranoia, but now more for the "feel" than anything else.  There are certain protectors that just feel much smoother and make for an easier user experience.  Plus the amount of grimy fingerprints I seem to generate just drive me nuts. 
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: March 22, 2012, 12:43:39 PM »

Wanted to share this funny -- I wanted to try The NewTM iPad at a Best Buy after work yesterday. Well, first of all, I couldn't even tell if I was trying the New iPad or the iPad 2. How do you tell?  icon_confused The store had a banner saying the store "Now Has the New iPad," but the display counter was labeled "iPad 2." Since the display didn't seem to make my eyes bleed, I suspect maybe it's still iPad 2?

Then I thought, well, the model name would probably be in the Settings menu. Well, some clown had changed the display model to Vietnamese language-wise. I couldn't even decipher the "General" setting screen enough to change it or to check the About screen to see what model it was. It's as if my arch-nemesis had gone to the store ahead of me to confuse me as much as possible.  paranoid icon_razz

Off topic a bit, i tinkered with some touch-screen-able all-in-one PCs there. I've toyed with getting my mom one (although given her refusal to upgrade from dial-up, maybe upgrading is a moot point). I still find it funny that customers just don't get it that there are so many touch-screen PCs now. It just doesn't register with them so the people next to me fiddle with the mouses while I'm the only person tapping on the screen. Doesn't mean I'm a savant or anything, just I think the general populace just can't wrap its mind around the idea of a PC with touchscreen abilities.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 12:47:08 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: March 22, 2012, 01:02:25 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on March 20, 2012, 11:29:20 PM

I'm using a smart cover, but think I need to upgrade to something a little more sturdy.  I live in constant fear of dropping this thing on it's corner and seeing the screen shatter (like my iPhone did).

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: March 22, 2012, 05:51:58 PM »

Yesterday I received the new protector that I'd ordered.  I briefly took off the original one and looked at the screen without it.  So freakin' gorgeous it's unbelievable, just stunning.  But... as I was wiping away some of the dust flecks that had been bothering me, immediately my grimy fingerprints started showing up and I remembered why I always use a protector.  I wash my hands all the time but they still tend to be greasy/oily/sweaty, so it just gets really gross on these screens so quickly.

The good news is that the protector I got was amazingly easy to install; without a doubt the easiest install I've done, and I've tried and failed many many times.  It's called the Moshi iVisor but I've seen a couple kind of like this.  They take a slightly different approach that you may or may not like.  Essentially only the outer ring/edge directly seals down onto the screen, so the center screen portion simply won't bubble up or whatever like all the other protectors do.  Because the outer ring is the same color as your unit, even if dust flecks get underneath it you won't see them there.  The bad part is you might get the sense that it's not directly touching the screen; responsiveness is still excellent but there's just this tiny feeling that's different.  And of course you lose the brilliance of the original screen, but that's the same with any of these things, particularly the "anti-glare" ones.
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: March 22, 2012, 10:16:03 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on March 22, 2012, 01:02:25 PM

Quote from: leo8877 on March 20, 2012, 11:29:20 PM

I'm using a smart cover, but think I need to upgrade to something a little more sturdy.  I live in constant fear of dropping this thing on it's corner and seeing the screen shatter (like my iPhone did).

I'm using a Smart Cover ($20 for a red leather one on eBay, **** yeah!) and LOVE it.

I slip the iPad (with the Smart Cover) in my Incase sleeve that I bought for the original iPad. Works great!

Plus if I drop it, I get a new iPad for $50. Win!
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: March 22, 2012, 11:46:28 PM »

Anyone notice the brightness flickers in video playback? As in if something bright comes on the screen in the video the brightness will suddenly pop down a notch? It's not noticeable in most shows I have tried unless you are looking for it. But on the video podcast of Mad Money where charts are popping up and the camera is zooming in and out it's quite noticeable. My iPad 1/iPhone/Imac doesn't do that, just my 3.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: March 22, 2012, 11:51:12 PM »

Quote from: Lee on March 22, 2012, 11:46:28 PM

Anyone notice the brightness flickers in video playback? As in if something bright comes on the screen in the video the brightness will suddenly pop down a notch? It's not noticeable in most shows I have tried unless you are looking for it. But on the video podcast of Mad Money where charts are popping up and the camera is zooming in and out it's quite noticeable. My iPad 1/iPhone/Imac doesn't do that, just my 3.

There is a setting for auto adjust brightness and it changes depending on the lighting where you are.  Did you try turning that off?
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: March 23, 2012, 04:01:06 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on March 22, 2012, 11:51:12 PM

Quote from: Lee on March 22, 2012, 11:46:28 PM

There is a setting for auto adjust brightness and it changes depending on the lighting where you are.  Did you try turning that off?

Yep still does it, thanks. I seem to be the only one having this problem, I posted on the Apple support forums too and didn't get any replies.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: March 23, 2012, 07:37:19 PM »

I am so weak.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: March 23, 2012, 10:14:17 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on March 23, 2012, 07:37:19 PM

I am so weak.

Congrats on your new iPad!  icon_biggrin
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: March 23, 2012, 10:43:48 PM »

Thanks!

Posted from Teggy's iPad using his fingers.

ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: March 23, 2012, 10:47:16 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on March 23, 2012, 10:43:48 PM

Thanks!

Posted from Teggy's iPad using his fingers.

Don't use your fingers Teggy, use the dictation feature (unless you got the iPad2, of course, in which case revel in your $100 saved).
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: March 23, 2012, 11:19:26 PM »

More importantly how do I get it to stop asking me to use Tapatalk?

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: March 23, 2012, 11:56:21 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on March 23, 2012, 11:19:26 PM

Buy Tapatalk and browse the forums with it, like I do. slywink

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: March 24, 2012, 12:32:38 AM »

Download iCab and use that as your browser instead of Safari.  Worth it for the "open tab in background window" feature alone.  Worth it for the ability to prevent websites from forcing mobile versions of sites alone.  Worth it for the full screen view alone.  The gesture shortcuts alone.  You get the idea.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: March 24, 2012, 12:42:32 AM »

Quote from: The Grue on March 23, 2012, 11:56:21 PM

Buy Tapatalk and browse the forums with it, like I do. slywink

Or just download the free version!  I didn't buy the "HD" version and it still looks great on the iPad as it's a universal app.  You can still visit the webpage through safari.
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: March 24, 2012, 01:29:47 AM »

I ordered my wife one after she played with mine, and it's showing up next week already.
Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #190 on: March 24, 2012, 02:15:23 AM »

I really hate the tapatalk messages. Someone needs to write a Fuck Off Tapatalk app.

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: March 24, 2012, 02:20:14 AM »

Quote from: Crusis on March 24, 2012, 02:15:23 AM

I really hate the tapatalk messages. Someone needs to write a Fuck Off Tapatalk app.

thumbsup

Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: March 24, 2012, 10:28:21 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on March 24, 2012, 02:20:14 AM

Quote from: Crusis on March 24, 2012, 02:15:23 AM

thumbsup

Yep. It's either poorly configured or obnoxious as hell.

rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: March 24, 2012, 01:55:49 PM »

So when are the forum gracias going to be optimized for Retina Display????   icon_wink
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: March 24, 2012, 03:30:52 PM »

Penny Arcade Report's take
The effect of the new screen is oddly personal, and some people may not even notice the change. I checked with my own family, and with a wife and three kids of varying ages I was the only one who was suitably impressed with the retina display. My wife didnít see much improvement, even after I compared two images from different versions of the iPad. I even pulled out my jewellerís loupe to compare the pixel density under magnification.

Yes, there was an upgrade, she finally conceded, but for her it wasnít dramatic. She was happier with the higher quality camera, but the extra heat the iPad 3 pumped out was a turn-off for her.
Iíve spent hours playing games, editing pictures, and reading books on the latest iPad, and personally Iím in love with the screen. Iíve dialed down the size of the text in the Kindle app to compensate for the improved sharpness, and the graphics in games are much smoother and feature deeper colors than the iPad 2. You get used to the change very quickly, however, and now instead of marveling at the new screen itís just hard to go back to previous versions of the hardware. A number of people who have used the hardware have told me that they can barely see a difference. If youíre interested in upgrading, you need to head to an Apple store and spend some time with the product before you put your money down.
Overall he loves it, he just cautions that people who already own iPad 2 probably oughta check out in person before assuming the graphical upgrade would be noticeable to one's own eyes. And apparently the increased heat is quite noticeable, if not scalding. e

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: March 24, 2012, 05:20:15 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on March 24, 2012, 03:30:52 PM

Penny Arcade Report's take
The effect of the new screen is oddly personal, and some people may not even notice the change. I checked with my own family, and with a wife and three kids of varying ages I was the only one who was suitably impressed with the retina display. My wife didnít see much improvement, even after I compared two images from different versions of the iPad. I even pulled out my jewellerís loupe to compare the pixel density under magnification.

Yes, there was an upgrade, she finally conceded, but for her it wasnít dramatic. She was happier with the higher quality camera, but the extra heat the iPad 3 pumped out was a turn-off for her.
Iíve spent hours playing games, editing pictures, and reading books on the latest iPad, and personally Iím in love with the screen. Iíve dialed down the size of the text in the Kindle app to compensate for the improved sharpness, and the graphics in games are much smoother and feature deeper colors than the iPad 2. You get used to the change very quickly, however, and now instead of marveling at the new screen itís just hard to go back to previous versions of the hardware. A number of people who have used the hardware have told me that they can barely see a difference. If youíre interested in upgrading, you need to head to an Apple store and spend some time with the product before you put your money down.
Overall he loves it, he just cautions that people who already own iPad 2 probably oughta check out in person before assuming the graphical upgrade would be noticeable to one's own eyes. And apparently the increased heat is quite noticeable, if not scalding. e

I'm pretty shocked that someone wouldn't be able to tell the difference looking at the two screens side-by-side.  I'm somewhere in the middle.  While I can clearly see the difference between the two screens, and agree very much that the new screen is better, I'm not all that excited about it.  I was perfectly happy with the iPad1 screen and the main impact of the better screen isn't so much that I really love the new screen as it is that I know dislike the iPad1 screen which I had thought was quite good.

The main thing I like about the new iPad is increase in memory and performance from my iPad1.  My web browsing experience (which is by far my biggest use of the iPad) is much, much better now that it (1) doesn't randomly crash on some websites and (2) actually can remember the contents of more than one tab.  Now if it could only remember the contents of the last webpage it visited so the back button would cause an instant reload, I would be a happy camper (I really don't understand why it doesn't to this, as far as I can recall pretty much every non-Apple web browser I've used does).
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: March 24, 2012, 09:07:42 PM »

Wife has been wanting one of these for awhile now so just picked up a new iPad3 for her. Now, I'm wondering... is there really a need for a screen protector? I've had many 'touch screen' devices, including a couple of Nintendo DS units, a PSP and now a Vita and the only thing I've ever bothered to put one on is my smart phone and they've all survived just fine. Anyone out there using one or think it's really necessary?

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: March 24, 2012, 09:15:54 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on March 24, 2012, 09:07:42 PM

Wife has been wanting one of these for awhile now so just picked up a new iPad3 for her. Now, I'm wondering... is there really a need for a screen protector? I've had many 'touch screen' devices, including a couple of Nintendo DS units, a PSP and now a Vita and the only thing I've ever bothered to put one on is my smart phone and they've all survived just fine. Anyone out there using one or think it's really necessary?

My impression is that very few people put screen protectors on iPads -- at least not of the "transparent overlay permanently stuck to the screen" variety.  Most people do either have a protective case they place the iPad in after use, or have something like the official Smart Cover which protects the screen when not in use.
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: March 24, 2012, 09:26:06 PM »

This is my first tablet but I'm sure my PC laptop got hotter than my iPad, I have yet to play games for any length of time on it (come on Balders Gate) but videos haven't caused that much heat IMO.
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: March 24, 2012, 10:03:40 PM »

Quote from: Zinfan on March 24, 2012, 09:26:06 PM

This is my first tablet but I'm sure my PC laptop got hotter than my iPad, I have yet to play games for any length of time on it (come on Balders Gate) but videos haven't caused that much heat IMO.

It sounds like it only gets warm when the graphics chip is doing heavy amounts of work, and even 720p (1080p?*) videos don't seem to give it much of a workout.  I think the only thing that's really likely to give it a good workout is something like Infinity Blade.  It sounds like the LTE might also have an impact on heat, although that might be hearsay.

I've been using mine a lot since release date and I have not noticed any real warmth at all.

* Not sure I actually have any 1080p unless the iTunes store has been serving them up now for the new iPad and the new AppleTV.  I have been running iTunes HD with no real warmth generated.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: