http://gamingtrend.com
July 23, 2014, 03:23:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: iPad 3/HD  (Read 8073 times)
rittchard
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 08, 2012, 07:15:32 PM »

Quote from: Hrothgar on March 08, 2012, 04:35:10 AM

Quote from: Blackjack on March 07, 2012, 07:53:59 PM

Hey I have a wimpy question: If you order something from Apple, does it come in a box festooned with "Apple" and the iconic logos on it? Not that I don't trust my condo building neighbors but... I don't trust them if I have an iPad-sized box that screams "Apple" on it laying in front of my door all day.  paranoid icon_smile

I didn't see this get answered.  As I recall, the boxes are pretty discrete.   It's usually clear they're shipping from China.  However, it doesn't matter about neighbors since, unless they've changed their policy, Apple doesn't allow deliveries without a signature.  Someone has to be there and sign for it, or you'll be heading off to the Fedex depot to pick it up after hours.

Delivery is generally through Fedex, and you can choose to Pre-sign/authorize for the box to be left at your door at the Apple site.  Boxes are generally small brown boxes, very small and discrete in my experience.   For the iPad the box will probably be so small it will just look like a book or something.  I have a small basket for stuff to be left in, or you can always ask to have it placed under a doormat or something.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 07:17:08 PM by rittchard » Logged
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 08, 2012, 08:20:20 PM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on March 08, 2012, 05:27:45 PM

Ok. Well. Looks like I'm gonna go with a Wi-Fi only model:

Apple’s new iPad can max out your data plan in 10 minutes
Combine the realities of multimedia file size and a blazing fast connection that allows transfer of said files at unprecedented speeds, and you have a recipe for potentially expensive disaster. One careless download of a 1080p high-definition movie from the iTunes Store over 4G could eat up your entire monthly plan and then some. In fact, if you could achieve download speeds at the theoretical maximum 72Mbps of LTE, you could blow through a 5GB plan in just under 10 minutes, and Verizon's largest 10GB tier in about 20. Real-world speeds of course are actually going to be somewhat lower, but we're still talking about the potential to obliterate your entire expensive monthly data plan in much less than a single day.

Just because you can download a file faster doesn't mean much.  In the end, if you are downloading a file 2 GB in size, if you get it in 2 seconds or 2 hours, it still only eats up 2 GB of your monthly plan.

Edit - About the only place I can think it will matter is something like a NetFlix where the better your connection, the bigger the file size it will pull down.  I know NetFlix, on some platforms, has been allowing you to fix the quality, though, so you can manage it against the cap.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 08:24:43 PM by The Grue » Logged

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 08, 2012, 08:46:04 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on March 08, 2012, 08:20:20 PM

Combine the realities of multimedia file size and a blazing fast connection that allows transfer of said files at unprecedented speeds, and you have a recipe for potentially expensive disaster. One careless download of a 1080p high-definition movie from the iTunes Store over 4G could eat up your entire monthly plan and then some. In fact, if you could achieve download speeds at the theoretical maximum 72Mbps of LTE, you could blow through a 5GB plan in just under 10 minutes, and Verizon's largest 10GB tier in about 20. Real-world speeds of course are actually going to be somewhat lower, but we're still talking about the potential to obliterate your entire expensive monthly data plan in much less than a single day.

Just because you can download a file faster doesn't mean much.  In the end, if you are downloading a file 2 GB in size, if you get it in 2 seconds or 2 hours, it still only eats up 2 GB of your monthly plan.

Edit - About the only place I can think it will matter is something like a NetFlix where the better your connection, the bigger the file size it will pull down.  I know NetFlix, on some platforms, has been allowing you to fix the quality, though, so you can manage it against the cap.

Why do I have to be forced to download an app on Wifi, when the 4G connection is just as fast? Inifinity Blade is what, 2-3 gigs? I hate everything that has to do with caps. They are only implemented to make more money, they do nothing to throttle.

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 08, 2012, 08:48:14 PM »

Quote from: SkyLander on March 08, 2012, 08:46:04 PM

Quote from: The Grue on March 08, 2012, 08:20:20 PM

Edit - About the only place I can think it will matter is something like a NetFlix where the better your connection, the bigger the file size it will pull down.  I know NetFlix, on some platforms, has been allowing you to fix the quality, though, so you can manage it against the cap.

Why do I have to be forced to download an app on Wifi, when the 4G connection is just as fast? Inifinity Blade is what, 2-3 gigs? I hate everything that has to do with caps. They are only implemented to make more money, they do nothing to throttle.

Yep same reason we have to pay for text messages when they are piggy backed on the ping to the cell tower to establish signal, IIRC.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 08, 2012, 09:28:41 PM »

Don't get me started n that text message charge.  That pisses me off immensely.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 08, 2012, 10:28:17 PM »

Interesting piece on the sudden, massive influx of traded-in tablets (mostly "the old" iPads):
http://news.cnet.com/8301-27076_3-57393527-248/new-ipad-lights-up-trade-in-services/
eBay says it had "more than" 20,000 trade-in offers for tablets yesterday, 89 percent of which were iPads. eBay says that 20,000 number represents a 10-fold increase in the volume of trade-ins the company pulled in the day before Apple's event. Perhaps more telling is that more than half of those trade-ins were Apple's iPad 2, a device that went on sale less than a year ago.

Separately Gazelle, which does not offer a way to auction off goods to other buyers like eBay does, said that customers were selling it an iPad on the service every eight seconds.

"Since the announcement yesterday we've already had about 80,000 offers presented to Gazelle customers, which is a 650 percent increase in trades," Anthony Scarsella, Gazelle's "chief gadget officer" told CNET in an interview.

75 percent of those trade-ins were iPad 2s, Scarsella said, with the other 25 percent consisting of first-generation models.

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 09, 2012, 01:29:45 AM »

Quote from: Chaz on March 08, 2012, 09:28:41 PM

Me too, one of my biggest pet peeves!  Long live iMessage!!!!
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 09, 2012, 02:04:56 PM »

http://mattnt.com/2012/03/08/somethings-unraveling-alright
Cortilian
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 09, 2012, 02:13:16 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on March 09, 2012, 01:29:45 AM

Quote from: Chaz on March 08, 2012, 09:28:41 PM

Me too, one of my biggest pet peeves!  Long live iMessage!!!!

Wow, I had no idea on that.  I'm almost outraged.  That sucks
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 09, 2012, 03:21:18 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on March 08, 2012, 10:28:17 PM

Interesting piece on the sudden, massive influx of traded-in tablets (mostly "the old" iPads):
http://news.cnet.com/8301-27076_3-57393527-248/new-ipad-lights-up-trade-in-services/
eBay says it had "more than" 20,000 trade-in offers for tablets yesterday, 89 percent of which were iPads. eBay says that 20,000 number represents a 10-fold increase in the volume of trade-ins the company pulled in the day before Apple's event. Perhaps more telling is that more than half of those trade-ins were Apple's iPad 2, a device that went on sale less than a year ago.

Separately Gazelle, which does not offer a way to auction off goods to other buyers like eBay does, said that customers were selling it an iPad on the service every eight seconds.

"Since the announcement yesterday we've already had about 80,000 offers presented to Gazelle customers, which is a 650 percent increase in trades," Anthony Scarsella, Gazelle's "chief gadget officer" told CNET in an interview.

75 percent of those trade-ins were iPad 2s, Scarsella said, with the other 25 percent consisting of first-generation models.

What can be said? People want 'The New Hotness'. Ditch that 'Old Ipad' and get yourself with a Hero!.. Sorry, New Ipad.  nod
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: March 09, 2012, 06:25:50 PM »

I will be going with the Sabre Pyramid instead.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 09, 2012, 06:35:29 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on March 08, 2012, 07:15:32 PM

Quote from: Hrothgar on March 08, 2012, 04:35:10 AM

Quote from: Blackjack on March 07, 2012, 07:53:59 PM

Hey I have a wimpy question: If you order something from Apple, does it come in a box festooned with "Apple" and the iconic logos on it? Not that I don't trust my condo building neighbors but... I don't trust them if I have an iPad-sized box that screams "Apple" on it laying in front of my door all day.  paranoid icon_smile

I didn't see this get answered.  As I recall, the boxes are pretty discrete.   It's usually clear they're shipping from China.  However, it doesn't matter about neighbors since, unless they've changed their policy, Apple doesn't allow deliveries without a signature.  Someone has to be there and sign for it, or you'll be heading off to the Fedex depot to pick it up after hours.

Delivery is generally through Fedex, and you can choose to Pre-sign/authorize for the box to be left at your door at the Apple site.  Boxes are generally small brown boxes, very small and discrete in my experience.   For the iPad the box will probably be so small it will just look like a book or something.  I have a small basket for stuff to be left in, or you can always ask to have it placed under a doormat or something.
Our anal-retentive HOA technically disallows floor mats in our condo building's hallways, although some of my Renegade Neighbors flout their disobedience of the rule.  icon_smile

Although I've seriously never had a problem here (no lost/stolen packages in 20 years living where I have in Virginia), I have read some scary articles elsewhere in the region about miscreants sort of watching delivery trucks and then scooping up unattended packages. So I'll probably do a FedEx center pickup or work delivery as a matter of unfounded paranoia.  paranoid icon_razz

Anyway, thanks for the further details rittchard.  icon_smile I think I'm favoring the $729 32GB black 4G version. Perhaps Verizon one. I don't need 4G per se, and I don't travel much, but I think it might be nice to use at my mom's (no Wi-Fi or broadband at her place) or when visiting my bro's family in Richmond, and it would be nice to be able to demonstrate stuff a bit now and then. I checked my Touch last night, and am using about 26GB of its 32GB (I tried synching to the Cloud for a while but atm, still synch to my PC). I realize I might not use an iPad at all the same way, but I still kinda feel like 32 would be my sweet spot.

Too bad I can't realistically use it as a phone. I'm sure there's some hysterically doctored photo of someone trying to use an iPad as a Skype phone (maybe with a gigantic shirt pocket?), perhaps even more hilarious than using it as a camera (unless you have a tripod of some sort).  icon_smile

When people get theirs, I'd love to know if cases, accessories etc. seem to work OK with it. It sounds like most should, but some case makers are releasing new versions specific to... The New iPad.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 06:42:48 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 09, 2012, 07:39:31 PM »

I didn't realize they had Skype for iPad:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/skype-for-ipad/id442012681?mt=8

I guess you could use it kind of like a speakerphone maybe smile
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 09, 2012, 08:07:39 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on March 09, 2012, 07:39:31 PM

I didn't realize they had Skype for iPad:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/skype-for-ipad/id442012681?mt=8

I guess you could use it kind of like a speakerphone maybe smile
I was gonna hang it around my neck. Then I could get that plastic "chain" to hang my Bluetooth Jawbone-brand speaker around the back of my neck, and I'll be all set!   High five!

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 09, 2012, 09:01:03 PM »

Got my shipping notice.  It's already in California, just not to be delivered until the 16th.
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 09, 2012, 10:34:09 PM »

Any recommendations on carrying cases or protective cases?  First tablet so I have no idea what quality goods might be out there for it.
Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: March 10, 2012, 02:40:23 AM »

Quote from: Zinfan on March 09, 2012, 10:34:09 PM

Any recommendations on carrying cases or protective cases?  First tablet so I have no idea what quality goods might be out there for it.

The apple smart cover is a pretty solid cover. It's overpriced but it did a great job of protecting my iPad for a year.

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 12, 2012, 03:24:23 AM »

Preorders are sold out, seems to be the latest news word, so I guess I'll remain on the sidelines. I do hope they have new stock in April but I imagine it'll be a while before it makes the transition to commodity from "hot item flying off the shelves."  icon_smile

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 12, 2012, 04:45:22 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on March 12, 2012, 03:24:23 AM

Preorders are sold out, seems to be the latest news word, so I guess I'll remain on the sidelines. I do hope they have new stock in April but I imagine it'll be a while before it makes the transition to commodity from "hot item flying off the shelves."  icon_smile

Preorders are only 3 days behind in the US and deliver on March 19 instead o 16.  No reason to wait.
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 12, 2012, 08:43:15 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on March 12, 2012, 04:45:22 AM

Quote from: Blackjack on March 12, 2012, 03:24:23 AM

Preorders are only 3 days behind in the US and deliver on March 19 instead o 16.  No reason to wait.

Now showing 2-3 weeks for delivery.  Surprised I'm actually out in front of this fad.  I would not want to try and get one from the Apple store on Friday.  Mine is showing shipped and last report had it in Hong Kong.
KC

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 12, 2012, 11:50:28 AM »

I'll get one too, but will wait a month or two to see the impressions from the early adopters and for the accessories to reach the market.
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 12, 2012, 06:45:50 PM »

Decided to get a Rickshaw iPad sleeve in green tweed. 

http://www.rickshawbags.com/laptop-ipad-sleeves/ipad-sleeves.html

Found on sale at Fab.com
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 13, 2012, 08:35:48 PM »

Maybe I should wait for the...

"Newer, Smaller iPad" (or some such clever new name  Roll Eyes), iPad Mini, Min-iPad...

Samsung confident Apple will maintain 'partnership'
http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/tech/2012/03/129_106677.html
``The contract is expected to rise to $11 billion by the end of this year as Apple is planning to release a smaller iPad, probably with a 7.85-inch screen, and to sell more of its MacBook Air PCs using Samsung’s faster solid state drive (SSD) storage,’’ the official said.
Take with a giant salt-lick since rumors of a smaller iPad have been around since... the Old iPad...

It's such a weird situation where your fiercest competitors are also basically making your stuff, but in this day of giant conglomerates maybe tough to avoid.  icon_confused

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 13, 2012, 09:15:21 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on March 13, 2012, 08:35:48 PM

"Newer, Smaller iPad" (or some such clever new name  Roll Eyes), iPad Mini, Min-iPad...

``The contract is expected to rise to $11 billion by the end of this year as Apple is planning to release a smaller iPad, probably with a 7.85-inch screen, and to sell more of its MacBook Air PCs using Samsung’s faster solid state drive (SSD) storage,’’ the official said.
Take with a giant salt-lick since rumors of a smaller iPad have been around since... the Old iPad...

It's such a weird situation where your fiercest competitors are also basically making your stuff, but in this day of giant conglomerates maybe tough to avoid.  icon_confused

Smaller iPad rumors have been around since the day after the first gen iPad launched.
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 13, 2012, 09:21:25 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on March 13, 2012, 08:35:48 PM

It really depends on what you use it for.  For my purposes I have no desire to get a smaller iPad.  I mostly use it for reading the web at home and at work.  I also sometimes use it to read PDF papers.  I can't imagine that reading on a half-sized screen would work as well.  Heck if they'd come out with a 12" one, I'd probably get that one instead of the current one.

OTOH if I really needed to carry it around a lot, I can imagine the half-size tablet would be great.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: March 13, 2012, 10:14:54 PM »

Will be interesting to see if that rumor comes true.  Essentially it would be a direct attack on Kindle Fire.  Maybe use the same processor as iPad 2 for lower cost but maintaining the same resolution to call it "retina" - and hitting a $249-$299 price point or even lower, it could be a killer product at Christmas time.
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 13, 2012, 10:25:17 PM »

I'm personally waiting to see what the Kindle Fire 2 specs out as... I don't own any tablets, but if it has power like an ipad 2 for a fair amount less that'll be a good entry point for me. Plus I already have amazon prime so would benefit from the books and streaming.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 14, 2012, 01:53:07 PM »

I thought there already was a smaller ipad on the market, but they were calling it the iphone. 

When they do announce a smaller one, the internet will be rife with jokes about how the big one should be called the MaxiPad.  I will be making them as well.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 14, 2012, 02:15:44 PM »

I don't want a smaller iPad; I want a cheaper one.  If making it smaller lets them get it down to $300, I'll buy a smaller iPad.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 14, 2012, 02:19:04 PM »

I want a cheaper one too, but I don't think there's any way they ever get to Amazon's price.  Amazon's willing to take the loss on hardware to get it out there, while Apple's got too much wrapped up in being the premium device for premium people to be willing to match Amazon's price, even if they could. 

I'm keeping a close eye on Amazon's next thing.  If it wound up being a decently powerful 10" Kindle tablet for around $300, I might be in.  Maybe.  7" is just too close to being a smartphone for my taste.

th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: March 14, 2012, 02:46:54 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on March 14, 2012, 02:19:04 PM

I want a cheaper one too, but I don't think there's any way they ever get to Amazon's price.  Amazon's willing to take the loss on hardware to get it out there, while Apple's got too much wrapped up in being the premium device for premium people to be willing to match Amazon's price, even if they could.

How is the iPad a "premium device for premium people", exactly? Who has a tablet on the market for less than $400 that isn't a glorified e-reader? I remember when the iPad one came out and everybody was sure other manufacturers would come out with a cheaper alternative- and then every tablet that came out for months had at best a $50 price difference.

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 14, 2012, 03:46:07 PM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on March 14, 2012, 02:46:54 PM

Quote from: Chaz on March 14, 2012, 02:19:04 PM

How is the iPad a "premium device for premium people", exactly? Who has a tablet on the market for less than $400 that isn't a glorified e-reader? I remember when the iPad one came out and everybody was sure other manufacturers would come out with a cheaper alternative- and then every tablet that came out for months had at best a $50 price difference.

Well they have only sold 55 million of them. slywink
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 14, 2012, 03:53:57 PM »

I'm just saying that Apple has never allowed any of their stuff to be the cheapest on the market.  As they've gotten more mainstream, the price difference has gotten smaller, but Apple anything is never the cheapest option.  Apple's also never had a competitor as able or willing to sell at a loss as Amazon before (that I can think of).

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 14, 2012, 04:41:44 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on March 14, 2012, 03:53:57 PM

I'm just saying that Apple has never allowed any of their stuff to be the cheapest on the market.  As they've gotten more mainstream, the price difference has gotten smaller, but Apple anything is never the cheapest option.  Apple's also never had a competitor as able or willing to sell at a loss as Amazon before (that I can think of).
I was going to say something like that earlier; you said it better.  icon_smile Apple also seems to genuinely think 9.7" is the ideal size for a tablet. Not in terms of portability but maybe in terms of not making you have to zoom in and scroll around a web page, ebook page, spreadsheet etc. to view properly., or having a large enough screen to not make watching a movie or TV show feel cramped

I would think if they'd wanted more of the Cheaper tablet market, they woulda just kept making the OriginalTM iPad and discounted it heavily. Though that assumes that manufacturing the Original iPad is in fact substantially cheaper.

My other name thoughts if they do Get Small:
iPad Jr.
Wee Pad [my late father called me his "wee little bear" when I was a kid  icon_smile]
The Small iPad, Not the New iPadTM (ok maybe a little long-winded)  icon_razz
MiniMe Pad [think of the Austin Powers cross-promotion opportunities!]

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 14, 2012, 06:18:30 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on March 14, 2012, 03:53:57 PM

I'm just saying that Apple has never allowed any of their stuff to be the cheapest on the market.  As they've gotten more mainstream, the price difference has gotten smaller, but Apple anything is never the cheapest option.  Apple's also never had a competitor as able or willing to sell at a loss as Amazon before (that I can think of).

Actually that's not true.  Since the iPad stood alone in its class of features, it WAS the cheapest on the market by default - having no competition smile

Same thing with the Macbook Air when it released.  As expensive as it was, no one else could match them in their first year or 2.  It's taken 2-3 years to get an actual competitor (i.e. clone) that delivered everything the MBA does. 

That's just superior engineering, like it or not.  When you set the bar, you get to set the price.

- - -

As far as iPad Mini, I'm skeptical but I definitely think it would start in the $249-299 range, possibly with only 8GB of memory though.  Should be a fairly easy price point if you compare that against the $399 iPad 2.

- - -

One thing to note on memory/storage; I was reading that with the advent of the higher resolution screen, all apps are starting to take far more storage space to accommodate.  If you get the latest version, you'll end up using a lot more memory for the same set of apps.  So they are recommending to go with 32GB minimum now instead of the 16GB if you are any kind of significant app consumer.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 14, 2012, 07:00:04 PM »

Ritt, by that logic, you could just as easily say that it was and always has been the most expensive on the market.  slywink

It's also the best selling tablet on the market.  Most of the time, when something becomes very popular, price gradually comes down.  That hasn't been the case with the ipad line, where price has been consistent, except for gently discounting the previous version while making small improvements to the new versions.

By contrast, the Kindle line started out very expensive, got popular, and has gotten cheaper with each iteration, even while improving technology.  Yes, they've certainly modified it by removing 3g and going to an optional ad-supported model, but price has still be consistently dropping over the years.

ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 14, 2012, 07:38:57 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on March 14, 2012, 07:00:04 PM

Ritt, by that logic, you could just as easily say that it was and always has been the most expensive on the market.  slywink

It's also the best selling tablet on the market.  Most of the time, when something becomes very popular, price gradually comes down.  That hasn't been the case with the ipad line, where price has been consistent, except for gently discounting the previous version while making small improvements to the new versions.

By contrast, the Kindle line started out very expensive, got popular, and has gotten cheaper with each iteration, even while improving technology.  Yes, they've certainly modified it by removing 3g and going to an optional ad-supported model, but price has still be consistently dropping over the years.

iPad to iPad2 definitely agree fits your point.  But quadrupling the pixels isn't a small improvement.  I'm actually rather surprised we didn't see a price hike for that kind of feature.  I thought there was a good chance they'd split into a regular line of iPads and a premium HD line with a premium price.  I suppose they did split into two lines in a sense by leaving the iPad2 16GB out there, but the HD versions are coming in at the same price point as the old ones.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 15, 2012, 06:09:45 PM »

Looks like my original reply was lost, harumph.  Anyway here's a link to a detailed review instead:

http://www.macworld.com/article/1165849/review_the_third_generation_ipad.html
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 15, 2012, 06:53:23 PM »

Lets check out the guts and go through the usual disillusionment there's no magic going on under the hood in terms of parts, just circuits, logic board and metal parts and stuff, the major parts (screen, processor chip) still made by Samsung.

iFixit's iPad 3 4G Teardown
Chips, Chips, Chips. Here's the salsa on the back side of the logic board:

Texas Instruments CD3240 driver device

Broadcom BCM4330 802.11a/b/g/n MAC/Baseband/Radio with Integrated Bluetooth 4.0+HS and FM Transceiver

These may be the RAM packages, but we'll need to do some more digging to verify that.

Qualcomm PM8028 Power Management IC

Toshiba ZX0730 1123KLD

Qualcomm RTR8600 multi-band/mode RF transceiver for LTE bands (under the thermal pad)

Broadcom BCM5973 I/O controller
=============
Like its predecessors the A4 and A5, the A5x is also manufactured by Samsung.

There isn't much difference between the old and new version of the A5: an "x" in the name and an extra 0.2 GHz clock speed.
They bought their unit in Australia.

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 15, 2012, 08:29:48 PM »

I guess some confirmation that Facetime Calling remains Wi-Fi only (won't work on the 4G connection):
http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/12/03/15/facetime_on_new_ipad_not_allowed_over_lte.html

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: