http://gamingtrend.com
August 31, 2014, 03:01:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Investment Challenge: Summer 2004  (Read 2471 times)
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« on: June 07, 2004, 10:13:35 PM »

Not really a "game", but I will put it here as well (move if inappropriate).  I also posted this in EBG and Multiplayer at GG.

Hi all, I really don't know if there will be much interest here or not but I figured I should go ahead and give it a shot.

CBS Marketwatch offers a free fantasy stock market challenge. For those of you who haven't ever taken part in one, you're given a certain amount of fake money to invest however you like and are competing with the other members in the compeition. The challenge follows real market data, and rankings (weekly return, daily return, monthly return, overall etc.) are updated throughout the week.

I know there are some other people here that are interested in investing and the stock market in general. Even if you're not, this is definitely a great way to learn. There is no pressure, your account can sit idle the entire competition if you get too busy to participate.

I went ahead and setup a competition for Gonegold in case there are some who are interested.

Here is the important information:

http://game.marketwatch.com/Home/default.asp

Competition ID: Gonegold
Competition Name: Gonegold Investment Challenge: Summer 2004
Competition Password: gonegold

Registration is completely free and you won't get any spam from registering. If you're interested or want more information ask away.

Here are some of the rules, you'll receive a list of all the rules once you register:

Start Date 6/14/2004 (Next Monday)

Ending Date 8/13/2004

Starting Cash $100,000.00

*** If you miss the start date, but you want in the competition, you can join at any time. If those goes over well, I will start another one in August.

This signature is intentional, ie not a mistake.  If you thing Rick Perry should be forced to resign for this crap, you're part of the problem with our country.  Give me a freaking break.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2004, 10:28:01 PM »

I am definately IN!

Maybe spending all my hours watching CNBC and Bloomberg Television will finally pay off!

I'm going to sign up later.  After reading the rules I will post back with any questions I might have.  I've never done anything like this since my freshman year of high school, but I've always wanted to!

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2004, 10:30:57 PM »

Good to hear stiffler smile

If this one goes over well, I may make a small entry fee for the next one (in August) so we can have some prizes, if everyone is up to it of course.

Geezer mentioned it in EBG for this time, but I think this one should be stricly for fun.

This signature is intentional, ie not a mistake.  If you thing Rick Perry should be forced to resign for this crap, you're part of the problem with our country.  Give me a freaking break.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2004, 02:15:14 AM »

I won this thing twice,Once for a state competition and once in my highschool, in Highschool and came damned close to beating my college finance professor as well.

If you're serious about it, read OTC and those other lame faxes that come through and play penny stocks. You make a couple thousand every few days and start banking it. Very soon  you buy bluechips and big boys and before you know it you're ranking the top 50. Of course nothing is guaranteed. However it was definately a fun diversion.

Goodluck to all of you. I would but I don't want to keep up with it.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2004, 02:18:34 AM »

Sure, you come in here telling us how you won 2 already and then you don't even join!  I see how it is slywink

J/K of course.

I have had a penny stock trading account since January, up about 300% actually.  

There is so much money to be made (read: lost if you're not careful) it's not even funny.

Anyway, if you change your mind Tebunker, you're always welcome to join at any time.

AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2004, 03:16:04 AM »

Eco, I hope you don't mind, but I'm moving this to Off-Topic.  Yes, we do have an Off-Topic board now so that we aren't just talking about games.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2004, 04:08:42 AM »

I don't mind at all.  I didn't know this board was here.  Thanks for taking care of it.  

20 people have signed up so far!

Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2004, 02:23:31 PM »

Just a heads up that the competition started today.

Buy Buy Buy! smile  GLTA.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: