http://gamingtrend.com
November 23, 2014, 08:26:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Introducing The Order of the Stick  (Read 750 times)
sgoldj
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: December 22, 2012, 10:55:13 PM »

No, new ones are not up AFAIK.

My daughter in law is a member of the SCA and loves Dragon*Con, Song of Fire and Ice, and will debate the type of Batman interpretation used in Brave and the Bold (she's wrong BTW).  Turns out, she does not read OOTS. 

My question: should I just insist that she reads the web comic, or should I send out my copies of Start of Darkness and Origin of PCs to start her out?

Opinions solicited.
wonderpug
Gaming Trend Senior Member

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012, 02:01:51 AM »

Starting with the books instead of the online version is fine and dandy, but personally I'd start with Dungeon Crawlin' Fools, which starts where the online version starts. To me one of the best parts of the series is how it starts as innocent and simple mocking of a world in a D&D ruleset, and then gets more and more character development and epicness as you go. If you start with the prequels, I'd thinks you wouldn't care as much about the characters you're getting backstory for.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2012, 02:04:00 AM »

also makes sure she reads or will read Looking for Group.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2012, 03:54:36 AM »

Speaking as someone who's only read it online, I think that ought to be sufficient to hook her. I enjoyed it immensely until I got caught up. Now the snail's pace of new strips makes it hard to stay engaged.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2012, 09:02:20 AM »

I believe the books are supposed to be read in a certain order coinciding with when each book was released. The prequel books contain major spoilers for later books. If I'm not mistaken, someone should read books 1 and 2 before reading books 0 and -1.
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2012, 07:30:57 PM »

I would avoid Start of Darkness as far as getting new people interested.  I actually found it a little TOO dark and made it so I will be disappointed if Redcloak isn't the one who kills the lich in the end.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2012, 12:03:01 AM »

Books. In order.  Buy her a set and reward Burlew for his work.  Love OOTS.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2012, 08:49:45 AM »

I found a reading order I can agree with:

Dungeon Crawling Fools
No Cure for the Paladin Blues
On the Origin of PCs
War & XPs
Start of Darkness
Don't Split the Party
Snips, Snails & Dragon Tales

With the last entry being optional, considering it's not for sale and won't be again.
namatoki
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2012, 05:09:39 PM »

There won't be any new OotS comics any time soon because the creator/artist Rich Burlew injured his drawing hand severely back in September.  According to his website, Giant In the Playground Games, he is undergoing therapy and isn't even sure if he can gain full control of his thumb. frown  Here's hoping for the best!
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2012, 08:12:31 AM »

Quote from: namatoki on December 24, 2012, 05:09:39 PM

There won't be any new OotS comics any time soon because the creator/artist Rich Burlew injured his drawing hand severely back in September.  According to his website, Giant In the Playground Games, he is undergoing therapy and isn't even sure if he can gain full control of his thumb. frown  Here's hoping for the best!

That's pretty damn old news to any OotS fan. slywink The latest reports are that everything is going well, though not as quickly as he had hoped. The original estimate was that he'd be back to work around this time.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2012, 03:44:09 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on December 25, 2012, 08:12:31 AM

That's pretty damn old news to any OotS fan. slywink The latest reports are that everything is going well, though not as quickly as he had hoped. The original estimate was that he'd be back to work around this time.

Has he said with any certainty when the next OOTs book will be expected? I stopped reading the strips a LOOONG time ago, because I enjoy the books so much...
namatoki
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2013, 12:25:22 AM »

Quote from: ATB on December 25, 2012, 03:44:09 PM

Quote from: TiLT on December 25, 2012, 08:12:31 AM

Has he said with any certainty when the next OOTs book will be expected? I stopped reading the strips a LOOONG time ago, because I enjoy the books so much...
I just wanted to make sure that the folks here knew what was going on with Rich Burlew, since some of them didn't sound like they knew he was out of commission.

On another note, THERE'S A NEW COMIC OUT! biggrin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: