http://gamingtrend.com
August 01, 2014, 12:32:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Internet Explorer 7 this summer  (Read 1883 times)
DarkEL
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: February 15, 2005, 10:52:38 PM »

From this press release
http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2005/feb05/02-15RSA05KeynotePR.asp
Internet Explorer 7 beta this summer!!

Gates announced Internet Explorer 7.0, designed to add new levels of security to Windows XP SP2 while maintaining the level of extensibility and compatibility that customers have come to expect. Internet Explorer 7.0 will also provide even stronger defenses against phishing, malicious software and spyware. The beta release is scheduled to be available this summer.

Man - that's good news. I've been using Firefox more and more but sure would love to have a new and better version of IE available as well.  I can think of a couple key features I would like to see them add right away.

Sigh - a'ight - now I'll open the thread to discussion even though I'm afraid that there's some people out there who are going to post stupid shit just because they feel the need to bash micro$oft because they mistakenly think its cool to do so.   Luckily those people are still in the minority.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2005, 10:58:26 PM »

Actually it is the cool thing to do, El, we just never told you. smile I'm also happy that MS finally got off their ass and decided to release this to the public instead of auto-bundling it with Longhorn. Here's hoping it includes features like tabbed browsing and that the CPU usage doesn't triple per tab. That would be my fear - that they would incorporate needed features then still screw it up. smile

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2005, 11:03:58 PM »

WBS - yeah I agree I'm glad they finally started development again. I've hated the fact that they've sat on it for years now even while Web Standards were still moving forward.

Firefox is a good browser and I'm really looking forward to being able to focus some development in it next week at my new job. (I especially can't wait to really dig into the XUL features of firefox).
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2005, 11:10:40 PM »

Quote from: "DarkEL"
WBS - yeah I agree I'm glad they finally started development again. I've hated the fact that they've sat on it for years now even while Web Standards were still moving forward.

Firefox is a good browser and I'm really looking forward to being able to focus some development in it next week at my new job. (I especially can't wait to really dig into the XUL features of firefox).

Wait 'til you see the proposed changes to JScript and CSS compatibility.  :cry:

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2005, 11:22:57 PM »

Here's what I'm wondering:

The main difference I see between IE and FF, security-wise, is that FF doesn't use ActiveX.  Therefore, the main advantage IE has is that it is ActiveX capable.  However,  for that to be worth a damn, all ActiveX security issues must be resolved.

So, is IE7 going to have some new, supersecure ActiveX capability?  That's what it would take for me to go back.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2005, 02:08:47 AM »

Wasn't it said that tabbed browsing wasn't being considered at this time?  Or was that just with the latest SP update of IE?

I just can not imagine life without tabbed browsing.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2005, 03:12:07 AM »

Quote from: "Sepiche"
s

??????????????????????????

What changes??
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2005, 03:13:04 AM »

Yeah, I'm anxious to hear this too- what changes?

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
zinckiwi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2005, 05:02:49 AM »

As far as I know there are none, which I'm actually happy about, since I already have to keep track of three buggy IE engines. I don't want a fourth.
Gedd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2005, 02:40:58 PM »

As a web developer, let me say:

Yay!  Yet another browser to support!

There's a part of me that hopes that they don't touch the page rendering at all, because I don't think I could take needing to learn another batch of CSS workarounds to get stuff to appear correctly in IE5.5-7 and Firefox.

On the other hand, if they actually *fixed* all the issues, then that would definitely be a good thing, but I fear that we're going to end up somewhere in between, where IE7 has another set of "quirks" that you must work around.
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2005, 03:26:43 PM »

Quote from: "DarkEL"
s

??????????????????????????

What changes??

Just rumors at this point mind you, but word is jscript support is changing to it's half brother JaScript 2005.  So who knows where compatability will go with that.  I for one have a lot of javascript that will at least have to be tested with a new browser, if not recoded.

Also they are supposedly switching from CSS to a proprietary MS page styling system and will only have basic support for standard CSS.

I also heard this quote from a fairly good source:
it supports running compiled packages for page display, rather than dealing with multiple download calls for each file, images, etc.

I haven't had exactly what that means explained to me, but it sounds promising.  I assume it means something like: I could gather a file of images, style sheets, etc... push them onto the client, and the browser will pull images and style sheets from that... no downloading involved.  No clue how secure that will be, but it's an interesting idea.

Granted there are supposed to be a lot of improvements too, extra security all around, spell checker for for form input fields, etc., but I remain skeptical... but that's mostly by nature. smile

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2005, 03:43:47 PM »

If there isn't tabbed browsing and a feature similar to the FF extension AdBlock, then I don't even see the point of wasting my time with IE.
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2005, 03:55:41 PM »

Quote from: "godhugh"
If there isn't tabbed browsing and a feature similar to the FF extension AdBlock, then I don't even see the point of wasting my time with IE.

I haven't heard anything about if tabbed browsing will be in or not (I'd assume so, since they'd be moronic to not include it... so yeah, it's up in the air Tongue), but I've heard that there will be no popup blocker.  Supposedly they are going to "fix popups" by cutting down what you can do with JS and popups.

s

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2005, 04:30:33 PM »

I haven't heard anything about if tabbed browsing will be in or not (I'd assume so, since they'd be moronic to not include it... so yeah, it's up in the air Tongue), but I've heard that there will be no popup blocker.  Supposedly they are going to "fix popups" by cutting down what you can do with JS and popups.

s

Since a pop-up blocker was included in SP2 wouldn't it be redundant to include another one with IE7? And since I fixed Firefox (too many extensions overlapping, so I ripped them all and installed a few new ones and it works like a champ) at home and at work then there's little need for me to use IE again.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2005, 04:55:20 PM »

s

Adblocker isn't the same as a pop-up blocker.  Adblocker allows you to kill the ads on a page you want to otherwise view.
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2005, 08:18:57 PM »

Hopefully Microsoft is getting pre-release copies out to the hackers ASAP so they can have their security exploits ready on v7's launch day  :twisted:

CEO of the GT Post Padders Club
ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2005, 04:11:46 AM »

How far is Microsoft allowed to incorporate extensions or properties of Firefox?  I guess in other words, is Microsoft allow to steal tabbed browsing, mouse gestures, adblock, and such things or does Firefox protect some of these as its own?
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2005, 06:20:11 AM »

pretty much every current browser has tabs- opera, safari, camino, netscape, etc.

shouldn't be a problem.

besides, Firefox is open source, isn't it?

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Ypmur
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2005, 09:25:09 AM »

Quote from: "ElijahPrice"
How far is Microsoft allowed to incorporate extensions or properties of Firefox?  I guess in other words, is Microsoft allow to steal tabbed browsing, mouse gestures, adblock, and such things or does Firefox protect some of these as its own?

Firefox wouldn't be able to claim tabs as their own. It originated with Opera.
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2005, 06:52:56 PM »

I was just saying the other day to a friend of mine, that is really is time to reinvent the browser a bit, its gotten a little stale. I have tried the others and the TABS are a good start... but If I was in an browser design team, I could think of 100 different things to do.

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2005, 09:49:19 PM »

Quote from: "ElijahPrice"

With the exception of tabbed browsing, the other things are just user-created extensions, which Firefox has no claim on.  And even those user-created modules are just old ideas repackaged for the most part.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: