http://gamingtrend.com
October 21, 2014, 05:46:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Insane woman at Subway  (Read 1858 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: March 18, 2010, 07:32:37 PM »

Nothing too exciting, but I met somebody who is clearly insane and hates men.  I went to lunch at Subway just to get out of the office today and I'm walking up to the door when I see a sharply dressed woman in a black business suit walk up at the same time.  She smiles at me and I smile back, then I reach out to open the door...that's when things went sideways.

As I tried to open the door (it has the large flat 'paddle' style door handle) so this woman could go in, she grabbed the door and whips it open, running the handle corner into my knuckle of my ring finger.  "I don't need you to open my door" she says and huffs at me.  I have a pretty deep cut on my hand to show for my efforts.  Seriously...what's wrong with people?  I don't understand...

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 07:36:00 PM »

Crazy.  I open the door for women (and men, really) all the time and people always act surprised and thankful.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 07:38:21 PM »

She's got 'issues'. There are too many ass-backwards insane people out there these days.
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 07:42:53 PM »

Weird... I would open the door for a guy in that situation as well...  no explaining some people...
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 07:46:24 PM »

Quote from: kratz on March 18, 2010, 07:42:53 PM

Weird... I would open the door for a guy in that situation as well...  no explaining some people...

True that.  I'm completely confused.   icon_neutral

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 07:50:19 PM »

Yep, she's got problems.

Opening doors for others, be they female or not, is something I was always taught is common courtesy.

Turns out it's not so common.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 07:51:20 PM »

Depends on my angle of approach and positioning.  If I'm on a direct line, my MO is to extend an arm backwards to prop the door for them to follow.  If they had the direct line, but they had a step on me that would force me to adjust or move into them, I'd hold the door.  Gender doesn't really enter into it ... unless she's got a nice caboose that I wouldn't mind watching walk away.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

Quote from: McBa1n
http://www.vuvuzela.fm BVVVVVVVVVVVRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Jaddison

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2010, 07:52:11 PM »

you should have asked for contact info pending the filing of your suit.....that may have opened her eyes a bit
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2010, 08:12:17 PM »

It really is staggering to me when people violently knee-jerk to politeness.  Just know that it has nothing to do with you and everything to do with some perceived slight by someone specific or some perceived oppression.

Almost as bad are the people who waltz through without a "Thank You" or smile or even a nod.  The same thing drives me nuts in a car.  I'm not waiting for someone to break into a Geggy Tah song, but an aknowlegement would be nice.  Nicer than the sense of entitlement.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Einsteinium

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2010, 08:24:06 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on March 18, 2010, 07:32:37 PM

Nothing too exciting, but I met somebody who is clearly insane and hates men.  I went to lunch at Subway just to get out of the office today and I'm walking up to the door when I see a sharply dressed woman in a black business suit walk up at the same time.  She smiles at me and I smile back, then I reach out to open the door...that's when things went sideways.

As I tried to open the door (it has the large flat 'paddle' style door handle) so this woman could go in, she grabbed the door and whips it open, running the handle corner into my knuckle of my ring finger.  "I don't need you to open my door" she says and huffs at me.  I have a pretty deep cut on my hand to show for my efforts.  Seriously...what's wrong with people?  I don't understand...

I think you were using your other hand to construct a huge glass ceiling. Admit it!

I had problems like that when I was in college. There's chivalry, and there's general decency. One is somewhat antiquated and arguably (not that I agree with the arguments) insulting to the fairer sex (i.e. womanists), and the other is what is necessary and sorely lacking in modern society.
Montag
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2010, 08:30:28 PM »

The proper response would to simply reply "I understand.  I apologize for providing convenience for you."  Then proceed to wipe your bloody wound on her nice suit.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2010, 08:33:03 PM »

Quote from: Einsteinium on March 18, 2010, 08:24:06 PM

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on March 18, 2010, 07:32:37 PM

I think you were using your other hand to construct a huge glass ceiling. Admit it!

I had problems like that when I was in college. There's chivalry, and there's general decency. One is somewhat antiquated and arguably (not that I agree with the arguments) insulting to the fairer sex (i.e. womanists), and the other is what is necessary and sorely lacking in modern society.

Yep, busted.  I was oppressing her with the other hand. 

Come and see the violence inherent in the system. HELP HELP!  I'M BEING OPPRESSED! 

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2010, 08:33:15 PM »

Quote from: Montag on March 18, 2010, 08:30:28 PM

The proper response would to simply reply "I understand.  I apologize for providing convenience for you."  Then proceed to wipe your bloody wound on her nice suit.

thumbsup   icon_biggrin

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2010, 08:36:04 PM »

You're a chauvinist pig, and you deserve to be gutted.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2010, 08:48:29 PM »

The problem is that you went to Subway. This never would have happened at a REAL sandwich shop.  icon_lol
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2010, 08:50:34 PM »

Quote from: Jimmy the Fish on March 18, 2010, 08:48:29 PM

The problem is that you went to Subway. This never would have happened at a REAL sandwich shop.  icon_lol

The civil people congregate at Quiznos?  They have a pepper bar I'm told....

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2010, 08:52:43 PM »

This would have never happened at Quizno's! Although at Quizno's, you would have been serenated by deformed gerbils and the oven would have urged to &*%^ it!  icon_razz
Zero

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2010, 08:55:28 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on March 18, 2010, 08:50:34 PM

The civil people congregate at Quiznos?  They have a pepper bar I'm told....

I love their 81 sauce smile  Besides, I go to quiznos for their 2 for $5 lunch...I love their bullet sandwiches!
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2010, 09:00:08 PM »

I open the door for people all the time, but what I more often find is that people Don't Trust me. Even if I'm smiling, I often see people grab the door with both hands, like they think I'm Lucy preparing to pull the football away when Charlie Brown runs up to kick it.  icon_razz

I held the door open for a woman who kind of had her hands full, and her two kids at a Moe's restaurant Friday night. She clutched at the door as if to say "the strange man is going to slam the door on my kids and break their necks!" It takes a village, people! Have a little faith in humanity.  icon_smile

Lastly, I think I related to you guys that when I was suffering my "Titan Quest wrist tendinitis" in spring 2007, I once reached to open a door at Subway (Ron and I clearly need to be more careful with Subway doors  paranoid) for some maintenance guy who was hauling away their soft drink machine on a trolley. Just as I started pulling the door open (it doesn't have a hydraulic lift mechanism so it swings freely), the guy kicked the door open full force into my hand/wrist, which hurt like hell. No apologies, and my tendinitis worsened after that.

Still, often times people do smile when I open a door, and 99% of the time, I think people appreciate it or maybe it's even the only nice thing anyone's done for them on a lousy day. Frankly though, I do it so often because once about 10 years ago or so, I prematurely let go of the door while my mom was going through it at a mall exit to a parking garage. She kept hollering, "You did that on purpose!" I'm not quite that devious.  icon_razz

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2010, 09:11:06 PM »

In the interest of full disclosure, were you wearing pants at the time?  And please, be honest.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2010, 09:15:11 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on March 18, 2010, 08:33:15 PM

thumbsup   icon_biggrin

I'm not so sure this whole thing wasn't an attempt to steal a blood sample in the first place.  Have you angred any wizards lately?  Or perhaps noticed someone trying to clone you?

Can five murderous vagabonds heroes save their world from a roman empire knockoff the forces of evil?  Apparently so! Find out how they did it in the only best D&D game in General Analog Gaming!
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2010, 09:23:44 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on March 18, 2010, 09:11:06 PM

In the interest of full disclosure, were you wearing pants at the time?  And please, be honest.

Spandex.   eek

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2010, 09:35:54 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on March 18, 2010, 09:23:44 PM

Quote from: hepcat on March 18, 2010, 09:11:06 PM

In the interest of full disclosure, were you wearing pants at the time?  And please, be honest.

Spandex.   eek

i'm surprised you had to use your hands to open the door in that case...

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2010, 10:20:33 PM »

or a roundhouse to the back of the head.  She wants to be treated equally, she should be ready to have her ass kicked equally too.
Mr. Fed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2010, 10:40:16 PM »

Appropriate responses:

"Rub my five-dollar foot-long, lady."

"Sorry, ma'am.  I just didn't want you to hurt yourself on the door handle.  Those are your baking hands."

"You understand that in this case I wasn't going to ask YOU to make the sandwich, right?"

Popehat, a blog.  Now 35% less ugly!
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2010, 10:44:13 PM »

"Sorry, ma'am.  I just didn't want you to hurt yourself on the door handle.  Those are your baking hands."
Bwhahahhaha!  I don't literally laugh out loud often, but this one has me laughing!

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
lildrgn

It's not the years, it's the mileage.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2010, 01:00:09 AM »

Black belt? What black belt? ninja2

WarPig
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2010, 02:23:23 AM »

Upon hearing her voice, I would have wanted to pull the Tony Stark and say, "Oh wow, you're a woman!  Honestly, I wouldn't have pegged that."

Unbreakable: "Stupid is the new ugly"
Louis Cypher

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2010, 01:51:56 PM »

It's gotten to the point where if I hold the door for someone and they don't thank me, I call them out. Usually something along the lines of "it's called THANK YOU" or I'll say "thanks for holding the door" in a sarcastic tone. I find it's mostly women that do this, which is odd.

Live Gamer Tag: Kitten0Death
PSN: CabriX
LoneStarSpur

Glad to be old!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2010, 02:13:05 PM »

Quote from: Louis Cypher on March 19, 2010, 01:51:56 PM

It's gotten to the point where if I hold the door for someone and they don't thank me, I call them out. Usually something along the lines of "it's called THANK YOU" or I'll say "thanks for holding the door" in a sarcastic tone. I find it's mostly women that do this, which is odd.
eek

There are a few good things about living in Texas (SBOE is not one of them)...I've never had this problem.

Fallin' feels like flyin'. For a little while. - Bad Blake
You're a funny drunk. - my wife
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2010, 03:39:15 PM »

I usually say "Oh, pardon me" or something similar when moving past someone and they'll pretend like they have blinders on, ignoring my presence.  There have been a few times that I've said "OR NOT..." or "Or I suppose you could pretend I don't exist.  Whatever works for you." loud enough for them to hear me.  Bastardos.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Scuzz

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2010, 03:56:41 PM »

Maybe I am old but I still do considerate things for people and I don't care how they react to them. I do it for me, not for them, the inconsiderate basterds.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2010, 03:59:55 PM »

Quote from: Scuzz on March 19, 2010, 03:56:41 PM

Maybe I am old but I still do considerate things for people and I don't care how they react to them. I do it for me, not for them, the inconsiderate basterds.

I don't care if they don't thank me, but being oblivious bugs me.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2010, 04:45:21 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on March 19, 2010, 03:39:15 PM

I usually say "Oh, pardon me" or something similar when moving past someone and they'll pretend like they have blinders on, ignoring my presence.  There have been a few times that I've said "OR NOT..." or "Or I suppose you could pretend I don't exist.  Whatever works for you." loud enough for them to hear me.  Bastardos.

It's great having a daughter, because then I can turn to her and say, "Now, you see, that isn't polite.  You should always thank someone who holds the door for you."

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2010, 04:51:55 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on March 19, 2010, 04:45:21 PM

I usually say "Oh, pardon me" or something similar when moving past someone and they'll pretend like they have blinders on, ignoring my presence.  There have been a few times that I've said "OR NOT..." or "Or I suppose you could pretend I don't exist.  Whatever works for you." loud enough for them to hear me.  Bastardos.

It's great having a daughter, because then I can turn to her and say, "Now, you see, that isn't polite.  You should always thank someone who holds the door for you."

My motto is don't say anything embarrassing out in public.  What you three guys do would break that rule.  If they don't thank me, it's no big deal.  I do it just to be nice and it makes me feel better, so whether they appreciate it or not is immaterial and really, what you just did there takes away any good will or karma points you earned by doing the act in the first place.  That being said, most people are appreciative.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 04:54:05 PM by The Grue » Logged

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2010, 04:55:58 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on March 18, 2010, 10:44:13 PM

Bwhahahhaha!  I don't literally laugh out loud often, but this one has me laughing!
+2

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2010, 05:00:53 PM »

It's great having a daughter, because then I can turn to her and say, "Now, you see, that isn't polite.  You should always thank someone who holds the door for you."

Yea, I'd never say anything with a kid present.  I'd hope the parents would.  smile

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2010, 05:38:40 PM »

What you get for going to Subway Truthiness!

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2010, 05:54:34 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on March 19, 2010, 04:51:55 PM

I usually say "Oh, pardon me" or something similar when moving past someone and they'll pretend like they have blinders on, ignoring my presence.  There have been a few times that I've said "OR NOT..." or "Or I suppose you could pretend I don't exist.  Whatever works for you." loud enough for them to hear me.  Bastardos.

It's great having a daughter, because then I can turn to her and say, "Now, you see, that isn't polite.  You should always thank someone who holds the door for you."

My motto is don't say anything embarrassing out in public.  What you three guys do would break that rule.  If they don't thank me, it's no big deal.  I do it just to be nice and it makes me feel better, so whether they appreciate it or not is immaterial and really, what you just did there takes away any good will or karma points you earned by doing the act in the first place.  That being said, most people are appreciative.

How do you stay hidden in the dark with all of that holy light shining off of you?   slywink

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2010, 07:38:57 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on March 19, 2010, 05:54:34 PM

Quote from: The Grue on March 19, 2010, 04:51:55 PM

How do you stay hidden in the dark with all of that holy light shining off of you?   slywink

Grues are more polite than you'd think. Tongue

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: