http://gamingtrend.com
November 01, 2014, 03:19:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ike Blows Hard!  (Read 4496 times)
Xmann
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2008, 11:54:04 AM »

Texas?   

been in Fla all my life.

only thing that really concerns me with Ike is that if it hits anywhere near here i won't be allowed to leave the hospital for a few days (RN).   gotta work through it and not leave....if so i lose my job frown

other issue is that i have my first Olympic Triathlon in Orlando on September 21 i've been working my arse off for.  i'll be a pissed mofo if it interrupts that!!

Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2008, 02:15:15 PM »

Hanna is racing toward us right now. It doesn't look like it poses any real danger, but the special effects ought to be entertaining. I'm looking forward to it provided the power stays on.  Bring your own!

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2008, 02:29:11 PM »

Quote from: mytocles on September 06, 2008, 06:20:43 AM

Confession:  the reason I didn't look past the title was because I thought Veejay was talking about Ike Van Der Griff, or however he spells it.  Sorry... but the combo struck me as possibly NSFW - not that I actually work anymore, but still...   icon_eek

He, I figured how many chances would I have to legitimately use a title like the one I picked  icon_twisted

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2008, 02:58:40 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 06, 2008, 02:29:11 PM

Quote from: mytocles on September 06, 2008, 06:20:43 AM

Confession:  the reason I didn't look past the title was because I thought Veejay was talking about Ike Van Der Griff, or however he spells it.  Sorry... but the combo struck me as possibly NSFW - not that I actually work anymore, but still...   icon_eek

He, I figured how many chances would I have to legitimately use a title like the one I picked  icon_twisted

Well played, sir, well played!  icon_cool

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2008, 10:31:29 PM »

This just in ... Washington DC to projectile vomit!

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2008, 03:19:01 PM »

Bummer that it looks like it's now going to smack Corpus Cristi dead center by the weekend; not good for that city at all. If there's any GT members living there,  take care and be safe.  paranoid
dmd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2008, 05:33:55 PM »

Extreme pucker factor right now.
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 11, 2008, 02:49:22 PM »

What happened?

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 11, 2008, 02:57:37 PM »

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on September 11, 2008, 02:49:22 PM

What happened?

you got Cuba wet and now you're looking to do Houston.

Because I can,
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 11, 2008, 02:59:35 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 11, 2008, 02:57:37 PM

What happened?

that's why I'm getting the fuck out...
Enough
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 11, 2008, 04:47:23 PM »

Truly a bizarre and scientifically fascinating storm to watch.  I can't recall seeing a storm with such low pressure (around 945 mb) that didn't after this long in that state get a well-defined eye with winds to match.  But don't be fooled, Ike might be as brutal as Katrina with its low pressure and ginormous wind field creating epic surge.  Check out Jeff Master's blog:

Category 2 Ike is larger and more powerful than Katrina

Ike is now larger than Katrina was, both in its radius of tropical storm force winds--275 miles--and in it radius of hurricane force winds--115 miles. For comparison, Katrina's tropical storm and hurricane force winds extended out 230 and 105 miles, respectively. Ike's huge wind field has put an extraordinarily large volume of ocean water in motion. When this swirling column of water hits the shallow waters of the Continental Shelf, it will be be forced up into a large storm surge which will probably rival the massive storm surge of Hurricane Carla of 1961. Carla was a Category 4 hurricane with 145 mph winds at landfall, and drove a 10 foot or higher storm surge to a 180-mile stretch of Texas coast. A maximum storm surge of 22 feet was recorded at Port Lavaca, Texas. Despite the fact that the center of Carla hit over 120 miles southwest of Houston, the hurricane drove a 15-foot storm surge into the bays along the south side of the city. I don't expect Ike will reach Category 4 strength, thus its maximum surge is not likely to reach the extreme values above 20 feet seen in Hurricane Carla. Like Carla, though, Ike will probably inundate a 180-mile stretch of Texas coast from Port O'Connor to just north of Galveston with a 10-15 foot storm surge. This will occur even if Ike is a Category 1 storm at landfall. The latest experimental storm surge forecast From NOAA's SLOSH model (Figure 1) shows a 10% chance that Ike's storm surge will exceed 15-21 feet at Galveston. The Galveston sea wall is 17 feet high, so it may get overtopped.

The amount of water Ike has put in motion is about 50% greater than what Katrina did, and thus we can expect Ike's storm surge damage will be similar to or greater than Katrina's. The way we can estimate this damage potential is to compute the total energy of Ike's surface winds (kinetic energy). To do this, we must look at how strong the winds are, and factor in the areal coverage of these winds. Thus, we compute the Integrated Kinetic Energy (IKE) by squaring the velocity of the wind and summing over all regions of the hurricane with tropical storm force winds or higher. This "Integrated Kinetic Energy" was recently proposed by Dr. Mark Powell of NOAA's Hurricane Research Division as a better measure of the destructive power of a hurricane's storm surge than the usual Category 1-5 Saffir-Simpson scale. For example, Hurricane Katrina hit Mississippi as a strong Category 3 hurricane, yet its storm surge was more characteristic of a Category 5 storm. Dr. Powell came up with a new scale to rate potential storm surge damage based on IKE (not to be confused with Hurricane Ike!) The new scale ranges from 1-6. Katrina and Wilma at their peaks both earned a 5.1 on this scale (Figure 2). At 9:30am EDT this morning,  Ike earned a 5.6 on this scale, the highest kinetic energy of any Atlantic storm in the past 40 years.

eek  Please be safe in you are in the vicinity and get the heck out!
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 04:49:37 PM by Enough » Logged

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 12, 2008, 03:33:41 PM »

Some fun with the NOAA Weather Radio feeds...

Turn Around, Don't Drown

Certain Death

And 14 minutes of the Houston feed where the quotes are from if anyone feels like mining for any more sound bites.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 12, 2008, 03:35:51 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on September 11, 2008, 02:59:35 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on September 11, 2008, 02:57:37 PM

What happened?

that's why I'm getting the fuck out...

if Ike takes you out can I have your stuff?

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 12, 2008, 06:25:51 PM »

stolen from the radio:

'In the news today, the state of Texas has decided to change it's name to Tina in anticipation of the fury of Ike.'

Because I can,
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: September 13, 2008, 05:29:45 AM »

Well, the eye is about to hit Galveston, and we're bracing for the shit here in H-town.  Power went out for a minute or two, but everything is cool so far.

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: September 13, 2008, 01:07:20 PM »

Don't have to worry much about hurricanes in OK, but the 500 or so tornadoes a year can suck.

Momma nature can be a major bitch at times. 

I am Xboxalot on Live.
th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: September 14, 2008, 06:04:26 PM »

drove around a bit today, realized how unbelievably lucky we are to have gotten power back so quickly- we are literally a little island of power in a sea of no power here in Houston.  When driving around, I must have stopped at around 20-25 stop lights, and only 2 of them were operational.  A handful of convenience stores are open here and there, none of them with power only accepting cash.  We are currently hosting friends and family who are not so fortunate as us, having cookouts in the backyard, playing Rock Band (wish I could get my hands on RB2, but oh well, what can you do?  icon_confused)

Mike Dunn
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: September 15, 2008, 12:10:28 PM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on September 14, 2008, 06:04:26 PM

drove around a bit today, realized how unbelievably lucky we are to have gotten power back so quickly- we are literally a little island of power in a sea of no power here in Houston.  When driving around, I must have stopped at around 20-25 stop lights, and only 2 of them were operational.  A handful of convenience stores are open here and there, none of them with power only accepting cash.  We are currently hosting friends and family who are not so fortunate as us, having cookouts in the backyard, playing Rock Band (wish I could get my hands on RB2, but oh well, what can you do?  icon_confused)

My In-Laws are in the "without power" boat, staying with their In-Laws who have a power boat... er... Are in the "have power" boat. Sounds like that's happening all over Houston at the moment. I hear the power companies are telling people, "We're working to restore power as fast as we can. It could be as short as tomorrow, it could be as long as a month."

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 15, 2008, 02:24:48 PM »

central Ohio got slammed hard with the remnants of ike. Over a half million without power, trees down everywhere. I have no power @ home but work does... No web though but I got my iPhone. It's bad enough they are recalling crews sent down south. The wind was neat though- I was able to lean into some gusts and got to dodge some flying metal.

Because I can,
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 15, 2008, 02:33:33 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 15, 2008, 02:24:48 PM

I have no power @ home but work does...

That's the worst of both worlds.  icon_razz
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 15, 2008, 02:41:11 PM »

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on September 15, 2008, 02:33:33 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on September 15, 2008, 02:24:48 PM

I have no power @ home but work does...

That's the worst of both worlds.  icon_razz

LOL. At least at work I can charge my phone and other iPod so I can have music at home.

Because I can,
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 16, 2008, 08:13:44 AM »

i'm visiting my parents in southern Indiana this week and we got hit hard by remnants of Ike on sunday afternoon.  the wind started blowing around 11am sunday, the power was out by 11:45, and then the real fun started.  when the wind finally stopped blowing at around 6pm, we were without electricity, there were trees down all around the house, and their big barn had half the roof missing (sheet metal and wood rafters both lying in a pile about 50 feet away).  while there wasn't any rain, the wind storm left almost all of southern indiana without electricity for at least the rest of the day...took 27 hours for them to get the power back on at my parent's house, but many areas are still waiting.  i don't think anyone expected to get hit so hard by the remnants of Ike this far north.

luckily, i had my laptop fully charged and could still connect to the internet via dialup...avoided being completely cut off from the rest of the world.  of course having my PSP and Puzzle Quest handy didn't hurt either icon_cool

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 16, 2008, 02:28:17 PM »

Well, almost 48 hours and still no power. Fortunately I have my tunes and a huge reading backlog, plus the local bars are on a different grid and are open icon_biggrin

Because I can,
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 16, 2008, 06:29:35 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 16, 2008, 02:28:17 PM

Well, almost 48 hours and still no power. Fortunately I have my tunes and a huge reading backlog, plus the local bars are on a different grid and are open icon_biggrin

OH, Man!  It sucks to be you, eh?  Well, the part about no power for 48 hours; the local bar part isn't too bad, though.  How's that reading going after a few pints of brew?  Tongue

I've been watching all the weather reports, and I must admit, I never really did that until I realized I "know" people - yes you people, lol - living in the various locales.  I wish everyone well and hope you are all safe!  nod

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 16, 2008, 11:28:28 PM »

Quote from: mytocles on September 16, 2008, 06:29:35 PM

OH, Man!  It sucks to be you, eh?  Well, the part about no power for 48 hours; the local bar part isn't too bad, though.  How's that reading going after a few pints of brew?  Tongue

no too shabby actually since they were mostly comic books  icon_biggrin  anyways, I got home from work to find my power completely restored, so the CeeKay is BACK IN BUSINESS!!!  icon_twisted

hopefully  all of y'all in other areas affected are faring well. Is rickfc still alive?

Because I can,
th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: September 17, 2008, 01:01:07 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 16, 2008, 11:28:28 PM

no too shabby actually since they were mostly comic books  icon_biggrin  anyways, I got home from work to find my power completely restored, so the CeeKay is BACK IN BUSINESS!!!  icon_twisted

hopefully  all of y'all in other areas affected are faring well. Is rickfc still alive?

Rick and his family bailed to San Antonio. I imagine they are probably back at this point.

Mike Dunn
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 17, 2008, 02:12:33 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 16, 2008, 11:28:28 PM

Rick is indeed alive, thank you for asking.  Some other things have come up besides Ike that have kept me from posting regularly.
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: September 17, 2008, 05:39:03 AM »

Hello.  Power and internet just came back on here.  We survived the storm only losing power.  It was just starting to get annoying living without power so we can't complain.  We've cleaned up our house, yard and street.  Services are coming back on line. 

We actually had a planned vacation starting tomorrow.  So now we should be able to leave without worries.  Having seen the lines and desperation in those who weren't hit that hard, I suggest keeping those who are really suffering in your prayers.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: