http://gamingtrend.com
September 01, 2014, 11:45:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: If GG could be saved, would it be worth it?  (Read 4432 times)
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« on: October 20, 2004, 06:24:58 PM »

Does it matter at this point?
Would it be better to "let it go" or is the information base there worth saving? I don't know...I know someone that used to work with Rich (actually, I think Rich worked for him on a site) and I wondered if I should talk to him. Wish I'd thought about it a week ago...

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2004, 06:27:50 PM »

Let it go, man.  Let it go.  A GG raised from the dead now would probably be a zombie GG, anyway.  And we don't need release sites wandering around the Internet eating people's brains.  That's just not cool.

In conclusion, zombies suck.

Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2004, 06:34:10 PM »

This was discussed quite a bit, and though I don't claim to speak for anyone else, I think the general concensus was to just let it go. It's very clear from all accounts that Rich isn't interested/able to talk to any one about this right now.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2004, 06:34:24 PM »

Word man, word.

Zombies do suck, especially when they start eating brains and shit. No, just no. Who needs that?
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2004, 06:37:26 PM »

It's dead Jim. Look forward.

Ye Olde Farte
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2004, 06:37:35 PM »

*nods* I was kind of thinking the same thing, but thought I'd solicit input. Thanks.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
JSHAW
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2004, 08:25:45 PM »

NOPE, not worth the effort. It's dead and rigor mortis set in about 2 weeks ago. That Phoenix ain't rising from the ashes. What's done is done, move on.
Qbe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2004, 08:53:35 PM »

It's gone.  Let's move on.  I like this new house a lot.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2004, 09:06:23 PM »

I also like the new digs.  BUT I wish there was some easily usable archive of the Gone Gold forums.  Whenever I wanted to buy a slightly older game I always searched through the forums.  Pretty much any question I had was asked and answered at some point in the past.

I hate not having access to the Former Gone Gold Collective Brain Trust.
Qbe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2004, 10:03:48 PM »

True: the threads on Baldur's Gate 2 mods were great.  I wish I'd saved them...but then, who expected GG to evaporate?
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2004, 10:12:39 PM »

I'm rather glad its gone. I don't hold any ill will against it, but it was slowly going down hill in support from the top that it wasn't a matter of if the plug would be pulled but when. It was best for everyone.

That said, I still wish we had a few days warning and that an archive existed somewhere.

Siljanus
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2004, 10:25:15 PM »

In terms of salvaging archived GG threads, I think that would be useful and that sounds like that was the crux of your question?  But I wouldn't approach Rich about it if that's what it took.  If he wants, let him come and offer it.

In terms of reviving GG, name and all, I rather like this and the other forum that have sprung up unfettered by the GG name and all that entailed.  At the very least we have some kick ass emoticons at our disposal.  The future is bright and full of possibilities and wild adventure! drool

Let us be thankful we have an occupation to fill. Work hard, increase production, prevent accidents and be happy.

Let us be thankful we have commerce. Buy more. Buy more now. Buy. And be happy.
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2004, 11:02:09 PM »

Yeah, no need to crybaby over spoiled milk just puke it out.  :wink:

360 GAMERTAG:Juniordan       ()  ()  ()
Wii: 2834 4528 4246 3222 ()  ()  ()
PS3 Spinks
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2004, 02:52:52 PM »

Customer: 'Ello, I wish to register a complaint.

(The owner does not respond.)

Customer: 'Ello, Miss?
Owner: What do you mean "miss"?
Customer: (pause) I'm sorry, I have a cold. I wish to make a complaint!
Owner: We're closin' for lunch.
Customer: Never mind that, my lad. I wish to complain about this parrot what I purchased not half an hour ago from this very boutique.
Owner: Oh yes, the, uh, the Norwegian Blue...What's,uh...What's wrong with it?
Customer: I'll tell you what's wrong with it, my lad. 'E's dead, that's what's wrong with it!
Owner: No, no, 'e's uh,...he's resting.
Customer: Look, matey, I know a dead parrot when I see one, and I'm looking at one right now.
Owner: No no he's not dead, he's, he's restin'! Remarkable bird, the Norwegian Blue, idn'it, ay? Beautiful plumage!
Customer: The plumage don't enter into it. It's stone dead.
Owner: Nononono, no, no! 'E's resting!
Customer: All right then, if he's restin', I'll wake him up!
(shouting at the cage)
'Ello, Mister Polly Parrot! I've got a lovely fresh cuttle fish for you if you show...(owner hits the cage)
Owner: There, he moved!
Customer: No, he didn't, that was you hitting the cage!
Owner: I never!!
Customer: Yes, you did!
Owner: I never, never did anything...
Customer: (yelling and hitting the cage repeatedly) 'ELLO POLLY!!!!!
Testing! Testing! Testing! Testing! This is your nine o'clock alarm call!

(Takes parrot out of the cage and thumps its head on the counter. Throws it up in the air and watches it plummet to the floor.)

Customer: Now that's what I call a dead parrot.
Owner: No, no.....No, 'e's stunned!
Customer: STUNNED?!?
Owner: Yeah! You stunned him, just as he was wakin' up! Norwegian Blues stun easily, major.
Customer: Um...now look...now look, mate, I've definitely 'ad enough of this. That parrot is definitely deceased, and when I purchased it not 'alf an hour ago, you assured me that its total lack of movement was due to it bein' tired and shagged out following a prolonged squawk.
Owner: Well, he's...he's, ah...probably pining for the fjords.
Customer: PININ' for the FJORDS?!?!?!? What kind of talk is that?, look, why did he fall flat on his back the moment I got 'im home?
Owner: The Norwegian Blue prefers keepin' on it's back! Remarkable bird, id'nit, squire? Lovely plumage!
Customer: Look, I took the liberty of examining that parrot when I got it home, and I discovered the only reason that it had been sitting on its perch in the first place was that it had been NAILED there.

(pause)

Owner: Well, o'course it was nailed there! If I hadn't nailed that bird down, it would have nuzzled up to those bars, bent 'em apart with its beak, and VOOM! Feeweeweewee!
Customer: "VOOM"?!? Mate, this bird wouldn't "voom" if you put four million volts through it! 'E's bleedin' demised!
Owner: No no! 'E's pining!
Customer: 'E's not pinin'! 'E's passed on! This parrot is no more! He has ceased to be! 'E's expired and gone to meet 'is maker! 'E's a stiff! Bereft of life, 'e rests in peace! If you hadn't nailed 'im to the perch 'e'd be pushing up the daisies! 'Is metabolic processes are now 'istory! 'E's off the twig! 'E's kicked the bucket, 'e's shuffled off 'is mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisibile!! THIS IS AN EX-PARROT!!

(pause)

Owner: Well, I'd better replace it, then.
(he takes a quick peek behind the counter)
Owner: Sorry squire, I've had a look 'round the back of the shop, and uh, we're right out of parrots.
Customer: I see. I see, I get the picture.
Owner: (pause) I got a slug.

(pause)

Customer: (sweet as sugar) Pray, does it talk?
Owner: Nnnnot really.
Customer: WELL IT'S HARDLY A BLOODY REPLACEMENT, IS IT?!!???!!?
Owner: Look, if you go to my brother's pet shop in Bolton, he'll replace the parrot for you.
Customer: Bolton, eh? Very well.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2004, 05:01:07 PM »

I"m glad it's gone too. Being able to come to a site that is active, informative, and houses a great community is much better.

I really don't miss GG much because their was nothing to miss but the message boards. Guess what? Plenty of people from the GG message boards are here or at Brutesquad.net so I have nothing to miss.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2004, 05:19:56 AM »

Quote from: "warning"
I also like the new digs.  BUT I wish there was some easily usable archive of the Gone Gold forums.  Whenever I wanted to buy a slightly older game I always searched through the forums.  Pretty much any question I had was asked and answered at some point in the past.

I hate not having access to the Former Gone Gold Collective Brain Trust.

Ditto.

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
Jason Donati
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2004, 05:41:52 AM »

Quote from: "CeeKay"
Customer: 'E's not pinin'! 'E's passed on! This parrot is no more! He has ceased to be! 'E's expired and gone to meet 'is maker! 'E's a stiff! Bereft of life, 'e rests in peace! If you hadn't nailed 'im to the perch 'e'd be pushing up the daisies! 'Is metabolic processes are now 'istory! 'E's off the twig! 'E's kicked the bucket, 'e's shuffled off 'is mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisibile!! THIS IS AN EX-PARROT!!

:lol:!

It's 12am my time and I almost woke up my family laughing at your post, especially the quoted section. Great stuff, CeeKay. Where's that from?

Edit: Monty Python. D'oh!

[size=10]Currently Playing: [/size]Soul Calibur II | Ninja Gaiden | Starcraft: Broodwar
Scoop20906

You can't ignore me!!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2004, 04:12:18 PM »

I really like it here. Console gold has great reviews and news, the forum is just as good as the old one, and site admins are all over the place.

When Rich was running GG, he had some really great ideas and features. Rich built the foundation we are reaping the rewards of now. As far as I can find on the internet, there is no community like GG was. CG is following the same foundation but with its own twist.

But, the feeling is the same. I will always miss the roll call, gold guide, road to gold (which made it here), the gone gold lift test, and so on but the feeling here at CG feels just like home.

Thanks Rich!!  biggrin

Thanks KD!!  :lol:

The Gone Gold Effect has a strong influence on the weak minded ...
GamerTag: Scoop20906
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2004, 07:28:03 PM »

I vote no.

We have moderators here who didn't let the job get to their heads.  Thus, this place is already a couple hundred times better than GG/BS.

Gone Gold is (thankfully) dead and the ground it stood on has been sowed with salt.

Fin.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2004, 11:34:13 PM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"
I vote no.

We have moderators here who didn't let the job get to their heads.  Thus, this place is already a couple hundred times better than GG/BS.

Gone Gold is (thankfully) dead and the ground it stood on has been sowed with salt.

Fin.

Jesus H Christ in a chicken basket.

Every single "Woe is Gone Gold" thread you have to come in and just piss all over the place. Your posts are like that drunk at the party that no one invited.  Only it's worse. Your posts don't even have the pretense of being sober or sociable. Right when they walk in, it's beer in hand, penis out, urine streaming all over the carpet. Then, with urine still dripping from its flaccid penis mind you, it starts to hit on the chicks at the party with old tired pick up lines that weren't funny 20 years ago.  Knock it off man, the urine STINKS.

We all know what you think. You don't have to come in here and wave your dick around. WE KNOW WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE ALREADY.

(After many fumbling attempts, I have editted the post. -SH)

Just Hiro will do.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2004, 11:39:00 PM »

Quote from: "SuperHiro"
I vote no.

Fin.

Jesus Christ.

Every single "Woe is Gone Gold" thread you have to come in and just piss all over the place. You're like that drunk at the party that no one invited. Knock it off man, your urine STINKS.

We all know what you think. You don't have to come in here and wave your dick around. WE KNOW HOW SMALL IT IS ALREADY.

Your post has been reported.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2004, 11:41:17 PM »

awesome, cause I've added some more to it.

Just Hiro will do.
IHateMorrowind
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2004, 11:47:40 PM »

Pathetic little fucker, isnt he, Superhiro?

"Life is good...but evil has more fun."
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2004, 11:50:35 PM »

Lay off the personal attacks.   :evil:

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
IHateMorrowind
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2004, 11:52:37 PM »

Sorry Ron, but LE's idiocy just makes him an oh-so-obvious target...hey, LE, how's the new boyfriend these days?

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2004, 12:13:32 AM »

Do I seem like the two-warnings type?  Lay off the personal attacks or the thread gets locked and people start getting the hat.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Balshazaar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2004, 12:27:07 AM »

Nice ass.

IHateMorrowind
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2004, 12:48:28 AM »

Jawohl, Herr Gruppenfuhrer!  I hear und obey!

Chesspieceface
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2004, 01:29:53 AM »

Your post has been reported.

Absurd.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2004, 01:32:51 AM »

I know another post in here isn't really warranted, and nor do I think me saying anything is going to change any of this. I do want to put in my .02 anyway.

As I read the last several posts, I'm sitting here trying my best to figure out just who here is in the wrong.

What I see is LE voicing an opinion on the topic at hand. The person who created the thread asked a question and he answered it. It was on-topic, and broke no rules of the CoC. Regardless of how that particular post makes you feel, it is perfectly within his rights to post exactly what he did.

On the other hand, instead of arguing with him in a rational manner, others involved here have chosen to break rules in order to personally attack/belittle another poster. One of whose post could be taken grossly out of context and be considered a comparison of KD to hitler. I'm giving that poster the benefit of the doubt and assuming it was just a sarcastic response to a situation they don't agree with. Regardless, no matter how poor of taste you consider LE's posts to be, the ones following it are far worse.

I'm not a mod. Nor am I in charge in any way. But I will say that if these were my boards I would be far more harsh in this particular situation than KD has been to this point. The minute someone breaks the CoC, and then does so again immediately after they're given a warning, I would have banned them. Regardless of whose original opinion I agree or disagree with.

Just an opinion, as always. They're like assholes, everyone has one. I'm just voicing mine, as LE did.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2004, 01:47:39 AM »

Thanks, Thin_J.  I would have written something along those lines myself, but I figured it was better to just report the abuse and leave the thread.

G'day.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Siljanus
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2004, 02:01:23 AM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
Do I seem like the two-warnings type?  Lay off the personal attacks or the thread gets locked and people start getting the hat.

I could use that hat for a party.  The donkey would probably be useful as well.  If all it takes are some personal attacks to get these fabulous prizes then I'm all over that! :twisted:  finger

Let us be thankful we have an occupation to fill. Work hard, increase production, prevent accidents and be happy.

Let us be thankful we have commerce. Buy more. Buy more now. Buy. And be happy.
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2004, 03:01:48 AM »

I get it!  It's an asshat!

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
Scoop20906

You can't ignore me!!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2004, 04:04:49 AM »

Quote from: "Freezer-TPF-"
I get it!  It's an asshat!

Thanks Freezer.  That passed way over my head.  :roll:

----------

To quote great japanese philospher, Vash, "LOVE AND PEACE! LOVE AND PEACE!"

Kudos to KD again. I'm lovin the site.

The Gone Gold Effect has a strong influence on the weak minded ...
GamerTag: Scoop20906
Baron Of Hell
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2004, 02:45:00 PM »

The gods to would die if death was good thing.  The gods have knocked down the tower of gold that dared to reach the heavens. Now the mortals have fallen back to Earth in different whens and different wheres. Some have even fallen straight to hell.

Perhaps, just perhaps one or two have found their wings and continue the climb upwards.  Go on you can make it, you can make it.

GoneGold refugee, needs food and place to stay
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2004, 07:57:46 PM »

Put down the crackpipe, hmmkay?
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2004, 08:34:37 PM »

\/\/olverine
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2004, 03:59:34 AM »

Take it from me, even if you don't agree with what a person posts, your still the one who will get in trouble for attacking them. You guys know what I'm talking about slywink
Jaymann
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2004, 05:07:47 AM »

Quote from: "Misguided"
Does it matter at this point?

Heyo!  I figured the GG'ers would surface somewhere, even if it's in a *cough* console *cough* forum.  I wasn't so much surprised by the sudden demise of Gone Gold as the lack of even a brief page of explanation in the "So long, and thanks for all the fish" vein.  The way it came down I feared Rich was dead or something.

I doubt I would ever search through any GG archives if they existed.  But whether you want to say it was going downhill or whatever, the fact remains the GG Forums were about the only place on the internet I cared to frequent on a regular basis, and I miss my daily fix.  

The King is dead.

Long live the King!

[=={:::::::::::>
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: